Bad A level results..

bl4hpkno0b

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm getting my A level results this coming Friday and I kinda foresee that I won't be getting the results that would get me into local university. Therefore I'm exploring the options I have. ..

I'm enlisting in April so I'm thinking if it's actually possible for me if I perform well in bmt and get into Officer school, and have a relatively good record during my 2 years in Army.. would they offer me a scholarship or sponsorship to study in local or overseas university?

Secondly I'm not sure if SIT would even accept me due to its limited places and they would probably choose diplomas holder over an A lvl with poor results..

Also do tell me if I have any other options.. like any overseas university would accept me?

Looking forward for your replies..
Thank you in advance :)

Havok_ex

Reaction score
Getting into overseas universities is comparably easier than local uni. Australia is one option that you could consider. However, mindef will not sponsor you if you didnt do well for A-levels. The usual mindef sponsorship that most regulars get is the LSA which is the Local Study Award. As the name implies, the sponsorship is only for local degrees.

There are scholarships for overseas degree such as the Merit Scholarship and SAFOS. However, these are in a league of their own. There is a clear gap between scholarship and sponsorship. Scholarship holders are fast-tracked. You wont be getting a scholarship if your A-level results are bad. Even if your NS performance is good and even if you do qualify for overseas uni, they would still not give you the scholarship.

So to answer clearly. Yes, you could get into overseas universities. No, it is unlikely that SAF would sponsor you overseas. They will sponsor you for local degree if you sign-on but no chance of getting them to sponsor you overseas.

Havok_ex

Reaction score
If you are considering SIT, you could take a look at their health science courses. Radiation therapy, radiological diagnostics, physiotherapy etc. They do take in A-level grads and your results dont have to be that good either.

YYS1995

Reaction score
If "A" Levels no good... can explore other options like overseas uni (Australia) or local private uni (SIM etc.) Overseas university not as difficult to enter compared to local uni, but do factor costs of studying and living abroad.

If "A" Levels not too good... but your CCA records are good, you can still try to apply for NUS/NTU. NTU higher chance, I have friends who got in through good CCA records and Essay submission. Even so, their grades were not too bad, missed the advertised cutoff slightly.

For army scholarship which works like most scholarships, sad to say... they'll look more at your grades than your actual performance. Assuming your grade are not stellar, chances are almost nil for merit and SAFOS. Best shot would be LSA, but even so you would need to have a placement in a local uni. I know an encik who went for course at SIM courtesy of SAF.

All the best for your upcoming results :)

bl4hpkno0b

Reaction score
If you are considering SIT, you could take a look at their health science courses. Radiation therapy, radiological diagnostics, physiotherapy etc. They do take in A-level grads and your results dont have to be that good either.
Would you prefer SIT or SIMGE??

For SIT i would love to go to Aerospace Systems
As for SIMGE i might be considering Banking and Finance.

p.s: My results might be very bad guys.. i have a feeling i might fail my chemistry and oven others..

Havok_ex

Reaction score
Would you prefer SIT or SIMGE??

For SIT i would love to go to Aerospace Systems
As for SIMGE i might be considering Banking and Finance.

p.s: My results might be very bad guys.. i have a feeling i might fail my chemistry and oven others..

SIT seems to be a safer bet since its a local uni. Why not just apply for everything and see how it goes?

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm getting my A level results this coming Friday and I kinda foresee that I won't be getting the results that would get me into local university. Therefore I'm exploring the options I have. ..

I'm enlisting in April so I'm thinking if it's actually possible for me if I perform well in bmt and get into Officer school, and have a relatively good record during my 2 years in Army.. would they offer me a scholarship or sponsorship to study in local or overseas university?

Secondly I'm not sure if SIT would even accept me due to its limited places and they would probably choose diplomas holder over an A lvl with poor results..

Also do tell me if I have any other options.. like any overseas university would accept me?

Looking forward for your replies..
Thank you in advance :)

Other than the local unis, there are still good private options out there (e.g. Ngee Ann Adelaide). As to whether you will qualify for scholarship, it all really depends on how you turn things around in the meantime (I suggest you take some work skill short courses if you have free time) and how you present yourself at the panel interview. Getting a bad grade is not the end of the world. 99% of this earth have not even heard of A-levels and they are still alive. In all probability they do not care.

Do your own research well, don't panic, don't follow the herd, use your brain. This "failure" can teach you more than any school can if you know what to learn from it.

bl4hpkno0b

Reaction score
CEE

Hi guys I've gotten my A level results.

My Math is C, Chemistry E, Physics E..
H1 econs B..

Any idea where I could go.. I'm pretty lost right now..

Areospace in SIT or Banking and finance in SIMGE???

Reaction score

H1 econs B..

What is your GP grade?
Have you checked whether your grades make the cut for both the above subjects?

EDIT: I just checked the SIT website. Eh you sure with your grades you can get in? They only offer limited places to A-level grads. Other than SIM are you looking at any other private schools?

Last edited:

Miss_LHX

Reaction score
What is your GP grade?
Have you checked whether your grades make the cut for both the above subjects?

EDIT: I just checked the SIT website. Eh you sure with your grades you can get in? They only offer limited places to A-level grads. Other than SIM are you looking at any other private schools?

Hi!I need advise also! My grades are BBC/B GP E, PW A, CL D.
Can I go NTU computer science/engineering(BBC/D)???

kaemi123

Reaction score
Hi!I need advise also! My grades are BBC/B GP E, PW A, CL D.
Can I go NTU computer science/engineering(BBC/D)???
Should be possible!
but it all depends on the cohort how many people(& their grades) interested to go ntu comp sci/engin

All the best in yr application!

RexJay78

Reaction score
Hi, I need some advice too. My grades are CCD/A GP E, PW B, with HCL B4(O Lvl) what are the options available?

Havok_ex

Reaction score
Hi, I need some advice too. My grades are CCD/A GP E, PW B, with HCL B4(O Lvl) what are the options available?

NTU Engineering should be possible. Or science courses like NTU physics. IMO they dont really care about GP as long as you pass.

photobuff

Reaction score

H1 econs B..

UAS 62.5 has limited course choices but is still possible. This is assuming that you have B for PW and E for GP.

photobuff

Reaction score
If "A" Levels no good... can explore other options like overseas uni (Australia) or local private uni (SIM etc.) Overseas university not as difficult to enter compared to local uni, but do factor costs of studying and living abroad.

If "A" Levels not too good... but your CCA records are good, you can still try to apply for NUS/NTU. NTU higher chance, I have friends who got in through good CCA records and Essay submission. Even so, their grades were not too bad, missed the advertised cutoff slightly.

For army scholarship which works like most scholarships, sad to say... they'll look more at your grades than your actual performance. Assuming your grade are not stellar, chances are almost nil for merit and SAFOS. Best shot would be LSA, but even so you would need to have a placement in a local uni. I know an encik who went for course at SIM courtesy of SAF.

All the best for your upcoming results :)

LSA will stand a better chance if your grades aren't good but you signed on as officer. But then to use LSA, the local unis must offer you a place first.

SMU has discretionary admissions of 10% refer to their admissions website.

Last edited:

bl4hpkno0b

Reaction score
UAS 62.5 has limited course choices but is still possible. This is assuming that you have B for PW and E for GP.
Thanks for the reply, I got CEE/B, GP D, PW B, CL D.
Would I be a to go into local uni?

If yes is it better for me to go any course in local uni or better courses like economics or Banking and finance by private like simge??

Last edited:

idkanymore

Reaction score
Hi i need some advice too. Got CCC/B (B for PW, B for GP, A for MT). Do you think I can make it into any business course in local U? or perhaps Economics?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.