Making spectacles in Japan?

martin

Reaction score
Just wondering if it is generally cheaper there? Anyone has done it?

kenchi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yup made zoff and jins
Overall cheaper than sG and better quality vs Sg

SquallLH

Master Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if it is generally cheaper there? Anyone has done it?

Yup, can be as cheap as 5000 yen (frame and multi-coat lenses) collect in 2 hours. Did it in Hiroshima 3-4 years ago.

Will be going back for some anti glare lenses this time :)

HWZ1973

Master Member
Reaction score
Yup, can be as cheap as 5000 yen (frame and multi-coat lenses) collect in 2 hours. Did it in Hiroshima 3-4 years ago.

Will be going back for some anti glare lenses this time :)

That's like US$50, u sure this price?

Last edited:

SquallLH

Master Member
Reaction score
That's like US$50, u sure this price?

Yup, 5000JPY paid to a specs shop in Hiroshima city :D. That said it's non designer specs or lenses. :s22:

During the prescription process, they would test your eye sight after checking the degree of your existing lenses so better learn how to say Ue, Shita, Migi, Hidari depending on which direction the C is facing. :D

martin

Reaction score
Yup, 5000JPY paid to a specs shop in Hiroshima city :D. That said it's non designer specs or lenses. :s22:

During the prescription process, they would test your eye sight after checking the degree of your existing lenses so better learn how to say Ue, Shita, Migi, Hidari depending on which direction the C is facing. :D

Uh oh, i would need an optician who speaks english then.

lapucelle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Uh oh, i would need an optician who speaks english then.

i rmb when they check ur eyesight. everytime i did mine, they only had katakana instead of english letters. when my mum-in-law did, they only showed her shapes cos she can't read.

sereneong19

Reaction score
go to zoff at harajuku. it's tourist friendly place and as for the "C"s direction, u can just use your finger to point up,down, left and right. collected it after 45 mins depending on the crowd. tax refund available

amebelle

Reaction score
i did at Jins.
eye test was in Japanese.
I think you can request for english.
It cost abt sgd80

squeex

Reaction score
I got a pair of PC glasses from ALook for myself and a pair of prescription glasses w pc coating for my wife from Zoff. They were both about 10k yen each, a little more expensive cos we chose the more expensive frames.

EastSider

Reaction score
any japan home brands spects lens that is good to go for?

thinking to do a spects there in JP.

Any recommended places to do Spects?

lapucelle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i did mine twice at jins. think 5000 yen each time. and collection within 1-2hrs.

martin

Reaction score
This is great info. Thanks, guys.

I have found a Zoff at Lumine Est just next to Shinjuku station.

SquallLH

Master Member
Reaction score
any japan home brands spects lens that is good to go for?

thinking to do a spects there in JP.

Any recommended places to do Spects?

Am currently in Japan now. I think other than the usual Jins, Zoff chain shops which see more tourist customers. There is also another chain called Megane Ichiba (Alook is one of their in-house brand I think) along Osaka shopping street. Apparently it was the same chain as the previous one I went to in Hiroshima as they recognize my old specs model and gave me a 500Yen discount as an existing customer. :s22: You could download their digital flyer to get a 5% discount but I didn't manage to buy my data SIM prior to that so too bad for me I guess...

This time though I chose a celluloid frame (12000JPY) and I topped up the option for PC/UV/etc blocking lens so the total price went up to 17000JPY (Tax free when I handed them my passport). I suppose it'll cost me 1.5-2x more for the same option in SG?

There are cheaper frames in the shop still with just multi coated lenses and these range from 5000-20000JPY so it's still possible to get cheap deals here.

I collected both my wife and my specs within 30 mins time frame and they actually tested me in Hiragana but maybe that's because I was responding to them in Japanese.

Glad that TS got what he wanted and all I can say is, specs are severely over-priced in SG for too long :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.