The Nuts About NUC Klub

MacClipper

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Beebox - Sized Up

With measurement rulers and a CD (anyone still remembers this archaic artefact?) for comparison

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This configure very good for user who need cloud server or host web site using WAMP server and FTP server as well.

Add-in Samsung Momentus 4TB SATA III 5400 RPM 2.5-inch Hard Drive - Free delivery from amazon into the devices and you can download torrent file and access your file from anywhere.
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Momen...1460944340&sr=1-2&keywords=2.5inch+hard+drive

Install PLEX on your windows and you can stream all your video over air into your android or windows.
Stream everything
Now you can stream every single movie, TV show, home video, song and photo in your collection to any device, anywhere. Whether your files are scattered across computers and the cloud or perfectly catalogued in one place, Plex organizes it all and presents it beautifully on any screen. This means your phone, tablet, or PC, as well as your big screen through your PlayStation, Xbox, or favorite streaming device.
https://plex.tv/ad/getstarted

There are lot of option you can make use of this product.

Im already doing that, but instead of using your own hdd, you can upload to google photos.

Using Gdrive add-on for Kodi, you can stream your collection on any device.

Just use the search function to search for the file name
WFEQjAth.jpg

and enjoy...
kcWJpW8h.jpg

Can switch audio streams or subs halfway if the file you uploaded has multiple stream
COXAlZah.jpg

Since google auto convert (into 360p, 480p, 720p, 1080p) for every video uploaded, you can stream on any device, or choose original unconverted format to stream

Last edited:

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Im already doing that, but instead of using your own hdd, you can upload to google photos.

Using Gdrive add-on for Kodi, you can stream your collection on any device.

Just use the search function to search for the file name
WFEQjAth.jpg

and enjoy...
kcWJpW8h.jpg

Can switch audio streams or subs halfway if the file you uploaded has multiple stream
COXAlZah.jpg

Since google auto convert (into 360p, 480p, 720p, 1080p) for every video uploaded, you can stream on any device, or choose original unconverted format to stream

nice. thanks for sharing. might try it soon.

MacClipper

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Beebox UEFI BIOS Screenshots
Sports a modern graphical UEFI implementation

tmfwy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a nuc that meets the following criteria

I7 ( 4C/8T )
Iris Pro
msata or m2
Sata hdd port
Dual lan ( preferably but can live with single lan )

I used to embrace the zotacs but since their new models dropped the sata hdd support for a single msata port, it isn't so appealing any more

The Brix Pro seems like a decent alternative albeit with only a single lan
The Skull Canyon looks promising ( love the looks but unsure of the price...

To answer some probable queries
I'm not interested in getting a mac book pro because i prefer detachable hdds which can be taken out when there is a need to.

4c8T because i use software that is cpu intensive with a need for gpu.

MacClipper

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey mod Sailormoon, long time no see.

If you really want/need a NUC form factor rig with an i7 Iris Pro, definitely just wait a little longer for reviews of the upcoming Intel Skull Canyon model (650USD).

Bear in mind, the Intel also comes with a 3 year warranty just like the Asrock Beebox which is 3 times the rather pathetic 1 yr of the Brix.
Intel
Asrock Beebox

HTH

tmfwy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey mod Sailormoon, long time no see.

If you really want/need a NUC form factor rig with an i7 Iris Pro, definitely just wait a little longer for reviews of the upcoming Intel Skull Canyon model (650USD).

Bear in mind, the Intel also comes with a 3 year warranty just like the Asrock Beebox which is 3 times the rather pathetic 1 yr of the Brix.
Intel
Asrock Beebox

HTH
WAH MAC!!

Can remember my secret name somemore :p

Yes. I'm looking for nucs because i use them for streaming during events.
The 2 main factors i am looking at is
1. Power Draw
2. Dual lan
I'm not interested in standard Intel HD graphics as they are not so fantastic for video decoding.

The alternative to a nuc seems to be an iris pro 65w cpu in a slim itx form factor.

I'm using the Zotac CI320 as a bedroom computer mounted on a wall. threw away the standard android player...

Tried those " gaming " nucs 2C/4T with GTX760 / 860 but apparently, they are not gaming enough and lags during epic battles. Am expecting the magnus to have the same dismal performance. Nice power savings but epic lag during crunch time.

MacClipper

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1. Power Draw
2. Dual lan
Rather uncommon to find dual LAN in a mainstream NUC though Google will shown you one or two MIC examples from Taobao.

Wish you luck in your search nonetheless cos Taobao stuff may be uneven in execution and QC. :)

MacClipper

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Beebox UEFI BIOS Screenshots
Sports a modern graphical UEFI implementation

MacClipper

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Windows Device Manager
Showing the onboard Samsung eMMC and bundled mSATA Team SSD (2 x USB flash devices also seen, attached for test file transfers)

MacClipper

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Benchmarks
With a Braswell Celeron at its core, this machine is targeted straight at budget PC users and definitely not at benchmark enthusiasts.

As such, its benchmark numbers performance, though clearly improved over the previous Bay Trail generation as shown by many web reviews, is more of academic interest. Heavy data crunchers are simply not the target audience for these Intel budget SOC systems.

Nonetheless, those interested in hardcore numbers can reference the many web reviews listed at the end of this article. In addition, here's a detailed budget CPU shootout involving the Celeron N3150 itself - again as said, it seems an academic exercise to me cos few should be using these CPUs to do such tasks like video transcoding.
Hardware Secrets

Therefore, the focus here is on its features, capabilities and usable real life performance and less on actual numbers.

Intel 802.11AC wifi with Speedtest.net
A simple Q & D bench as a rough gauge, using the 5GHz wifi radio via an Asus RT-AC68U 1Gbps M1 connection. More importantly, video streaming over wifi in Openelec is also smooth, totally watchable and enjoyable.

The 2.4GHz wifi radio has a patchy performance as evident in anecdoctal web reports. Bluetooth operation under Windows 10 Home was also erratic but seems to work under Openelec as shown in this screenshot.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
WAH MAC!!

Can remember my secret name somemore :p

Yes. I'm looking for nucs because i use them for streaming during events.
1. Power Draw
2. Dual lan
I'm not interested in standard Intel HD graphics as they are not so fantastic for video decoding.

The alternative to a nuc seems to be an iris pro 65w cpu in a slim itx form factor.

I'm using the Zotac CI320 as a bedroom computer mounted on a wall. threw away the standard android player...

Tried those " gaming " nucs 2C/4T with GTX760 / 860 but apparently, they are not gaming enough and lags during epic battles. Am expecting the magnus to have the same dismal performance. Nice power savings but epic lag during crunch time.

I sold my Android box away right after I purchased my NUC. Android is light but is seriously lacking when compared to a full fledge PC when it comes to versatility.

NUC 2C/4T Core processors are fundamentally still a dual core, and may not suit for gaming since their main focus is low power. I feel the chip is seriously impeded by the 15W TDP which is very evident when both CPU and GPU clockspeed take a hit when they are stressed together.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.