The Nuts About NUC Klub

quekky

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
WAH MAC!!

Can remember my secret name somemore :p

Yes. I'm looking for nucs because i use them for streaming during events.
The 2 main factors i am looking at is
1. Power Draw
2. Dual lan
I'm not interested in standard Intel HD graphics as they are not so fantastic for video decoding.

The alternative to a nuc seems to be an iris pro 65w cpu in a slim itx form factor.

I'm using the Zotac CI320 as a bedroom computer mounted on a wall. threw away the standard android player...

Tried those " gaming " nucs 2C/4T with GTX760 / 860 but apparently, they are not gaming enough and lags during epic battles. Am expecting the magnus to have the same dismal performance. Nice power savings but epic lag during crunch time.
take a look at shuttle DH170/DH110, can fit i7-6700k, got dual-lan

MacClipper

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That's the Intel Braswell N3700 model, pls share here if you get one.

@quekky, looks interesting though one could argue for a DIY thin m-ITX rig with the flexibility of any self chosen mobo.
Beautiful 1.4 litre full Alu Silverstone case

How's Shuttle QC these days? Had 4-5 sets of P4 era Shuttle units long long ago but sadly most experienced QC (dying chipset) issues in the longer run and subsequently haven't touched one since.

tmfwy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
take a look at shuttle DH170/DH110, can fit i7-6700k, got dual-lan

Yeap.

I looked at those
BUT not iris pro.
sob sob

And if i go shuttle again, i prefer all my stuff in one box. Meaning 1x PCIe card full height which the DH cannot support

i've used Shuttles for a decade now and i think the shoebox form factor doesn't seem appealing. Kinda like the slim desktop form factor where you can put a monitor on top. :)

MacClipper

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For your requirements, maybe just wait a little longer for the Skull Candy NUC as well as the incoming new Intel 5x5 platform aka STX mobos and then decide?

More Openelec beta Screenshots
This Openelec beta by Fritsch is very functional but seems to lack a screenshot capability so pardon the less than optimal handphone shot photos. Installation was straightforward and fast - boot from Openelec install USB flashdrive, choose destination device and voila, an Openelec boot drive within a few minutes.

With a PC LCD, idle

MacClipper

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
With a Full HD Sony LCD TV, ongoing streaming via wifi (video playing visibly in the background)

MacClipper

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Openelec Uptime
5 days into testing and the Beebox has already clocked over 15 hours of total uptime so far which works out to ~ 3 hours of video streaming per day, super nice and stable!

quekky

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How's Shuttle QC these days? Had 4-5 sets of P4 era Shuttle units long long ago but sadly most experienced QC (dying chipset) issues in the longer run and subsequently haven't touched one since.

got a few sets to run 247 in office, i can let you know in a month time how's the QC
any tests you want me to do?
http://s12.photobucket.com/user/quekky/library/shuttle dh170

@tmfwy maybe wait for the new skylake iris pro 580, but it's BGA packaging so gotta wait for mobo manufacturers to include that in

MacClipper

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Beebox Initial Impressions
The Asrock Beebox fulfills a niche in the truly tiny desktop PCs for undemanding home/office users and budget HTPC enthusiasts. Budget explained as in... the lowest cost Intel based NUC so far.
Intel's cheapest NUCs yet... beg for home theater use

With its H.265 hardware support, this Braswell unit should serve quite well into the near future as a HTPC rig, especially with such enthusiastic support from the Kodi/Openelec developers. The extremely earth friendly 6W TDP Intel Braswell processor makes it ideal for a cool running, low power setup for 24/7 operations eg. download station, video monitoring etc...

In addition, the flyweight total rig (with power adapter included) also makes it super convenient to be transported around.

Asrock's bundled package is very functional and practical but can be further improved if the bundled Windows 10 Home had been installed on the larger mSATA SSD instead of the anaemic onboard eMMC.

Overall, it's also mildly interesting for beginner tinkerers too, due to the easy complete access to the interior, exposed by simply undoing a few screws.

With my interest in NUCs newly piqued, I am definitely looking forward to the next round of oncoming NUCs although current indications show that they are going to be priced much higher (~650 USD, ouch!) by Intel due to the Iris Pro iGPU used. But for now, just sit back and enjoy your budget Beebox while saving up a pretty penny for the next gen NUCs.

alantcy

Reaction score
Hi recently interested in NUCs. Does anyone know if the Skull Canyon is available locally yet? Where is the cheapest place to buy?

geckoSG

Master Member
Reaction score
Have anyone used NUC5CPYH which is Celeron N3050U before? I need some input on people who owns it and performance if the NUC lags or not on normal usage.

I wanna buy 1 to host a game server (unturned) for my kiddo chuck to the back of my monitor.

geckoSG

Master Member
Reaction score
End up purchased the new i3 NUC instead. Total damage 538 including 8gb ram. Will install win10 n do a review later

rAcEr

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i have been running windows7/10 on this for almost 3 years liao...still going strong. Although not cheap, I love its portability, quietness, etc. Use it mainly for watching videos and websurfing...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2413649,00.asp

Tempted to upgrade to the 6th gen i5 version...but its more of a want than a need since the current box still meets my needs perfectly.

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Did this some months ago if it helps.
http://deluxeforums.hardwarezone.com.sg/102749306-post9179.html

wbCBG59.jpg

p6RjvPH.jpg

geckoSG

Master Member
Reaction score
Ok. Something about installation that piss me off. I was expecting at least LAN driver availability upon WIN10 installation. But none.

So, NUC buyers just take note you need to donwload at least the LAN driver first before you install. Got LAN, at least you can go internet download the remaining drivers.

Even my acer laptop have all the drivers on WIN10 installation.

quekky

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
got a few sets to run 247 in office, i can let you know in a month time how's the QC
any tests you want me to do?
http://s12.photobucket.com/user/quekky/library/shuttle dh170

@tmfwy maybe wait for the new skylake iris pro 580, but it's BGA packaging so gotta wait for mobo manufacturers to include that in
Just a quick update on the Shuttle DH170. I have 4 sets of 6700 (non-K) running 24/7 at almost 100% cpu (daytime aircon, night no ac) for past 2+ months. No crash at all

hosehbo?

Master Member
Reaction score
not sure if this is a right place, want to generate more interest. got a spare skylake i3 to let go at a very attractive price brand new with ram and m2 ssd.

please pm me.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.