Starhub ending their cable broadband by end next year

crewcutboy

Reaction score
StarHub has clarified this in an ST forum letter today:

I wish to clarify two points in Wednesday's report ("ISPs wage new broadband war").

First, StarHub will continue to offer cable TV and broadband services over our cable network until 2020. Any extension beyond that would be subject to commercial discussion with the third-party network provider for our network lease.

We will facilitate a smooth transition for our existing cable customers to our fibre services.

This will be carried out progressively, to ensure minimal disruption to our customers enjoying our suite of services.

Second, regarding the number of cable modem users who may be affected, the majority of these customers already have fibre broadband connections installed.

We have been successfully rolling out our dual broadband plans that come with both fibre and cable connections and services.

In recent years, we have noted that customers' surfing needs have evolved, requiring higher bandwidth for social media, cloud and streaming services, and more.

This is the reason we have been encouraging cable customers to upgrade to fibre services through our promotions, to enjoy better broadband speeds and experience on our fibre network.

Customers can browse our website at www.starhub.com/big-sale for the latest promotions and offers.

Howie Lau
Chief Marketing Officer
StarHub

sadboy

Master Member
Reaction score
Yeah like I say, They can't cut the cable TV like tat.. so high chance it will be renew..

ngbc

Master Member
Reaction score
They will simply priced the Cable Broadband plan high enough to make those out-of-contract users shift to Fibre Broadband... then may be by 2020, stop offering service via cable connection for new flats just like what Singtel did for the ADSL in 2013 !

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My only issue is that in order to access fibre tv u have to be a starhub fibre subscriber which i dont want to. Happy with viewqwest and i dont want to be forced to switch RSP just for this purpose.

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
They will simply priced the Cable Broadband plan high enough to make those out-of-contract users shift to Fibre Broadband... then may be by 2020, stop offering service via cable connection for new flats just like what Singtel did for the ADSL in 2013 !
When Singtel did this to ADSL in 2013, i.e they offered 10mbps for like $40 or something, I simply walked away and signed up starhub cable 100mbps for same price. This time starhub is doing it, I simply won't renew the contract and have just signed up for M1 300mbps for $29 which comes with free 1gb data sim which I will use for my data needs using a dual sim phone, so the M1 becomes even cheaper, the 1GB data is worth $10. So for $20, my broadband needs are fulfilled�

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 2 using GAGT

2ulkifli

Reaction score
Did you read the ST article properly? A decision has not been made on this.

I would say it's highly unlikely because of:
1) The logistical nightmare of moving all the cable TV users onto fibre within a year;
2) The implications of StarHub breaking their end of the contract when they're no longer able to provide 'dual broadband' to those who signed up for it.

Someone in StarHub probably 'leaked' this news to ST so that people will panic and quickly sign up for fibre, thereby making their transition away from cable easier when the time comes.

I am hoping Cable will still be an available option, for one.. my room only has cable point no fibre point, how to convert to FibreTV?

All the cable are hidden under false ceiling and it will be a big hassle to relay Fibre, damn.. why can't they just leave it be... also Cable is good alternative to Fibre as backup mah...

mun

Reaction score
I am hoping Cable will still be an available option, for one.. my room only has cable point no fibre point, how to convert to FibreTV?

All the cable are hidden under false ceiling and it will be a big hassle to relay Fibre, damn.. why can't they just leave it be... also Cable is good alternative to Fibre as backup mah...

It is costlier for telcos to maintain 2 infra/networks and it doesnt make business sense to keep and maintain obsolete technology - ADSL/cable. Fibre/GigaEthernet is the way moving forward at this point of time now

jury_pack

Master Member
Reaction score
It is costlier for telcos to maintain 2 infra/networks and it doesnt make business sense to keep and maintain obsolete technology - ADSL/cable. Fibre/GigaEthernet is the way moving forward at this point of time now

Fiber also not owned by telco. Why they are pushing all to fiber is that they can save on cost of the infra and more bonus for shareholders and staffs.

legaltech

Reaction score

Although in 2014 SH was directed by IDA to end the ongoing spat with ST and allow other service providers' signals on the coaxial cabling within one's home for networking, I suspect only a small pool have (officially) adopted MoCA adapters for home networking.

If the initial set-up requires engineers from both sides to be present at the same time then I think most would have dropped the idea to avoid any logistical trauma of timing. I wouldn't be surprised if customer had to agree to the risk of interference/degradation problems potentially occurring etc... more than enough for one to just live with dead zones in the house or settle for whatever powerline networking could give if really needed.

I'm currently on HomeHub but only my internet is on fibre; TV and digital voice come through cable. The fibre line enters home through my sister's bedroom on the 2nd floor with the termination point in there as well because (1) Singtel's tel pipe ended outside her room, and (2) never thought SH might "abandon" cable services that soon, having laid the infra across the island!

Once contract ends next month I'm probably going to subscribe only for broadband - basic tier channels for SH TV is boring and the digital voice is just there part of the package as white elephant.

With prices of unbundled plans finally being reasonable there's the potential/temptation to finally leave SH, though I think the period for Fibre Transfer Process hasn't been shortened yet... then have to tahan 1 month no connection >_<

AnDyLe0

Reaction score

i also have the same concern.
starhub fibre tv runs on starhub fibre broadband, that means every room (with set-top box) must have a fibre point.
anyone using starhub fibre tv with more than 1 set top boxes at home? how to install multiple fibre set top boxes?

btw... many ppl remain on cable not because of price.
it's because many flats already have scv cable points in all rooms... can use LAN/Ethernet for desktops... no need wifi.

ska13a

Reaction score
i also have the same concern.
starhub fibre tv runs on starhub fibre broadband, that means every room (with set-top box) must have a fibre point.
anyone using starhub fibre tv with more than 1 set top boxes at home? how to install multiple fibre set top boxes?

btw... many ppl remain on cable not because of price.
it's because many flats already have scv cable points in all rooms... can use LAN/Ethernet for desktops... no need wifi.

what u talking?
fibre point = the cable coming out from ur FTP that is linking to ur ont.
sorry did not have the product

http://www.starhub.com/personal/tv/set-top-boxes/fibre-tv.html

from starhub layout, connect to ont mean it will be rj45 cable instead of coxial cable.
as long u have a long rj45 or wifi router etc (i think its possible with the correct thingy, like computer wifi, but might be challenging)

as u can see from last image, the ont rj45 port configure for tv can run a a normal swtich, mean to say all tv box will work as long its sync to the correct rj45 port from the ont device.

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
what u talking?
fibre point = the cable coming out from ur FTP that is linking to ur ont.
sorry did not have the product

http://www.starhub.com/personal/tv/set-top-boxes/fibre-tv.html

from starhub layout, connect to ont mean it will be rj45 cable instead of coxial cable.
as long u have a long rj45 or wifi router etc (i think its possible with the correct thingy, like computer wifi, but might be challenging)

as u can see from last image, the ont rj45 port configure for tv can run a a normal swtich, mean to say all tv box will work as long its sync to the correct rj45 port from the ont device.

"Termination Point needs to be within 2m from your TV and on the same side of the wall. If it is more than 2m away, structure cabling (expose trunking) may be required."

wat i'm talking is: u need trunking all over your home to install fibre set top boxes in bedrooms, i don't think u can use wifi.
for current cable tv, just connect a hubstation hd to scv points in all rooms. nice and neat.

i agree by 2020 many ppl may have move house. by then, we can renovate to have all cables hidden.

ska13a

Reaction score
"Termination Point needs to be within 2m from your TV and on the same side of the wall. If it is more than 2m away, structure cabling (expose trunking) may be required."

wat i'm talking is: u need trunking all over your home to install fibre set top boxes in bedrooms, i don't think u can use wifi.
for current cable tv, just connect a hubstation hd to scv points in all rooms. nice and neat.

i agree by 2020 many ppl may have move house. by then, we can renovate to have all cables hidden.

all i would say, as long u can hook up fibre cable from ftp to ont as long u have sufficient length to fibre cable it should be fine unless signal loss etc, my ftp run from home door to bedroom during renovation, similar to those 4room hdb (new bto style) in bedroom 2 for example.

as for how u hook up rj45 from the ont->switch->tv or ont->tv depend how u wish to run ur cable.
duno how chim u make it sound as anyway

ur post say fibre point, which is fibre cable aka the fibre that is connected to ftp to ont.

as for wifi, yeah tv box might not be so smart to detect that network. but the IT savy ppl might have some tricks?
just thinking along the line.
same as those who prefer to use powerline, powerline linking to ur switch router purely for tv should works.
cos its like as long that network flow coming out from the ont point for tv, anything within that, tv works.

sound like many alternative depend how one choose to move forward.

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
ur post say fibre point, which is fibre cable aka the fibre that is connected to ftp to ont.

i use "fibre point" as a layman's term to refer to "Data Point" as in starhub's diagram. as in layman's term, the Data Point is connected to Fibre Broadband, as a layman, i refer it as fibre point - my fibre broadband's data point in my room. =:p

pwongkk

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
By now everybody should/likely knows Starhub offers 300Mbps fibre at $29.90/mth, see this link below:
http://www.starhub.com/personal/promotions/broadband/300-mbps-fibre-broadband.html

But the cheapest Starhub dual broadband plan is $39.90/mth (200Mbps fibre + 100Mbps cable):
http://www.starhub.com/personal/promotions/broadband/dual-broadband.html

This means for the $39.90 Starhub dual broadband, logically you're paying $20+/mth for 200Mbps fibre & $10+/mth for 100Mbps cable Internet.

For Starhub's dual broadand plan, there's NO mobile broadband SIM card & NO home phone line included.

Everybody ALSO KNOWS that currently, at just $39/mth;

You can get 1Gbps fibre from M1 -- which actually includes home phone line & 1GB data/mth (4G/LTE) mobile broadband SIM card:
https://www.m1.com.sg/Personal/BUNDLES AND PROMOTIONS/Promotions/Bundle Promotion/PKG100391

OK, with the above info,

Since (now) can get 1Gbps fibre at $39/mth, why pay S$39.90 to get Starhub dual broadband -- which is "only" 200Mbps fibre + 100Mbps cable; plus no NO mobile broadband SIM card & NO home phone line ??

BECAUSE some people may decide that -- it is useful or EVEN necessary to have cable Internet as backup (or to improve wireless range without laying cable or use repeaters).

For some people, Starhub cable Internet by itself works well. Many Starhub cable Internet users were deterred from renewing Starhub cable Internet because of unattractive pricing. See some threads below:
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/98834305-post104.html
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/i...hub-25mbps-contract-expires-soon-5290099.html

If Starhub actually ends all cable services by end 2017, dual broadband's ONLY ADVANTAGE of cable Internet as backup / secondary Internet access will be GONE.

Even if Starhub "upgrades" the 200Mbps fibre to 1Gbps fibre for the $39.90/mth dual broadband users -- do you think this is enough "compensation" ?

Why would people even want to continue paying S$39.90/mth to get "upgraded" from 200Mbps to 1Gbps -- when $39 can get 1Gbps from M1 which also includes home phone line + 1GB data/mth (4G/LTE) mobile broadband?

What could make things even worst for Starhub -- by end 2017 -- is that this current 1Gbps $39/mth fibre plan by M1 may become even CHEAPER price by that time !!

If the "compensation" for Starhub dual broadband users -- at end of 2017 -- is just ONLY speed increase/bum, logically ALL dual broadband users will simply leave & go to other telcos as soon as their contract ends !!

If Starhub cable services are ceased by end 2017 & if Starhub wish to continue to retain their pool of dual broadband users -- then logically Starhub will have to offer MUCH MUCH more "compensation" than simply a speed bum :)

Compensation? Wait long long. Most likely refund.

Those who had use Starhub iMail last time will know. Once they terminated the service, they just prorated the refund as it's paid up for 1 yr.

Next, go find another mail provider yourself.

pwongkk

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Not forgetting the islandwide roll out of digital TV (DVB-T2).

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hopefully the StarHub cable can last for a while more. :o

Medicated Oil

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Hopefully the StarHub cable can last for a while more. :o

They are migrating the customers to fiber internet sign-up when their contract ends.

Same for the cable tv users.

But, they just offering what they are offering for all new customers.

There is no special package for existing customers.

No sincerity in retaining their old customers at all.

kiama

Master Member
Reaction score
Cessation of Cable Broadband Network FAQ

https://www.starhub.com/personal/su...and/cessation-of-cable-broadband-network.html

1. Is it true you are ceasing cable broadband services by 2017?
StarHub will operate cable network services until 2020. We encourage customers to take up our fibre services before 2020 to avoid disruption to their services. Customers will also be able to enjoy faster broadband speeds on our fibre services.

2. What will happen to my cable broadband subscription?
We will facilitate a smooth transition from cable to fibre broadband. We encourage customers to take up fibre broadband early to ensure uninterrupted service and minimise inconvenience. We have a wide range of fibre broadband plans that meet different needs.

3. Does it mean my cable TV is also affected?
Yes, we will be migrating customers from cable TV services to fibre TV services, and encourage customers to upgrade to fibre TV early to ensure uninterrupted service.

StarHub TV on Fibre
https://www.starhub.com/personal/tv/set-top-boxes/fibre-tv.html

Last edited:

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.