Future of Kinokuniya seems challenging..

hnzfaz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Went to the Kinokuniya flagship store at Ngee Ann. Found that it has reduced its floor area, without reducing the bookshelves. The new layout is crammed and uncomfortable. The aisles between shelves are very narrow. It gave me a claustrophobic feeling and I just wanted to get out of the store after spending half an hour in it, which is unusual. I used to spend entire afternoons at the store.

I noticed that the number of shoppers are few and from my eyeball observation, no one has gone to the payment counter for long stretches of time.

Another disturbing thing: A shopper beside me took out his phone to take a photo of a book cover. He whispered to his friend that he should be able to find it on Amazon..

I bought a few books. My membership was expiring in a week, but the counter staff didn't ask me if I wanted to renew. I was a little surprised because Kino used to be pretty aggressive with asking customers to renew.

I feel that Kino has seen better days. I'm not so sure how long it's going to last. Anyone has the same feeling? It's the only decent book seller in Singapore. If it folds, we're really a book desert.

Last edited:

PingJun

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am not sure approximately what time you have gone to Kinokuniya.

Usually, there will be more people in the weekends / public holidays than in weekdays, and when there are 20% discounts for the members (or for the publics).

I know because I have observed this even when they were in 3rd storey.

Usually I will support them by buying Taiwanese (or Chinese) books, mangas from them (or order the books / magazines from Taiwan through them if Kinokuniya doesn't have them or out of stocks).

I also buy Japanese writing papers (in Stationery section) from Kinokuniya as well.

The other type of which I will support is buying books from local publishers.

Btw, Most of the books I read are Chinese books (Local / Taiwan or sometimes, China).
So I will get from Kinokuniya / Local Publishers.

Sometimes, I might buy from Popular as well.

PingJun

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
However, I agree with you that the new layout is crammed.

Every time I go there, I need to figure out how to reach to English Magazine section from Chinese section / stationery section.

Ottoke

Reaction score
Is Kino at Bugis still around? Need to find some stuff and I am looking for the store closest to me

BazookaTooth

Reaction score
They've certainly seen better days. Having been a part of the staff there a few years ago ive always enjoyed the selection of books and the environment. However presently, I am very upset with their selection of books in the arts department. Perhaps its' due to their staff. I remember working a great bunch over there who pride over bringing in plenty of books over a diverse range of topics and styles. Sadly these days, theyre only interested in bringing best sellers.

Miche7

Reaction score
Went to the Kinokuniya flagship store at Ngee Ann. Found that it has reduced its floor area, without reducing the bookshelves. The new layout is crammed and uncomfortable. The aisles between shelves are very narrow. It gave me a claustrophobic feeling and I just wanted to get out of the store after spending half an hour in it, which is unusual. I used to spend entire afternoons at the store.

I noticed that the number of shoppers are few and from my eyeball observation, no one has gone to the payment counter for long stretches of time.

Another disturbing thing: A shopper beside me took out his phone to take a photo of a book cover. He whispered to his friend that he should be able to find it on Amazon..

I bought a few books. My membership was expiring in a week, but the counter staff didn't ask me if I wanted to renew. I was a little surprised because Kino used to be pretty aggressive with asking customers to renew.

I feel that Kino has seen better days. I'm not so sure how long it's going to last. Anyone has the same feeling? It's the only decent book seller in Singapore. If it folds, we're really a book desert.
theses day, ppl buy online. Brick n mortar shops r finished.

Genesisz

Master Member
Reaction score

I agree. I too am not comfortable with the new layout.

There was a couple of occasions where I need the staff's assistance to direct me to the main entrance. The passage way seems convoluted.

w3ird0lol

Reaction score
recently went to kino @ bugis to buy some books, found out there were a big crowd of people beside the shelves reading the book. There was no queue at the counter. Gone are day whereby people buy book anymore. :'(

PingJun

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually, I do buy from them.

As explained earlier, I read Chinese books (Locals / Taiwanese / China).

So if I order from Taiwan, after the shipping cost, the cost is about a few dollars difference. Plus I can get discount (I have member card), so it is not a difference to me.

PingJun

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
BTW, Kinokuniya is having members sales until this Sun.

20% discount for books & selected magazines for members.

The sales are applicable for all branches.

Franzz

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Kino and other local book retailers selling Duric book at $23-25 range.

I got mine at $14 from bookdepository, almost 40% savings leh.

Not to mention free delivery. :)

zuoom

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There should be a resurgence of printed materials. But as some point out. It might be amazon game to eat.

mp10navy

Reaction score
if order from kino online, roughly how long will it take if they got stock? bookdepo i read here is about 3 weeks average, don't mind pay a bit more but get the book faster

bosssaizo

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Boss find their online store quite jialat.

Like they say that supplier got stock need to ship over.

order liao then email say that supplier not printing anymore...

Then at least update the site lah...:s22:

Shion

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
Find that can get cheaper prices via online shopping

Difference is probably the quality of product I receive and also the atmosphere reading the materials

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.