All about Dividends

drkcynic

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ya, the app is not stable.

I would suggest you to add all the tickers you want into the portfolio on desktop first. Like that, you don't need to use the search function.
After that should be fine.

Thanks! Got it.

aoptionwriter

Reaction score
Bought my first preferred share last night from US market to collect dividend. Anyone investing with similar strategic here?

|XterA|

Master Member
Reaction score
How to calculate how much dividends will get? Let's say it's given 5c?

havetheveryfun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think you should add this (or I missed it):

If a stock :

XD on 29 Jan 2016
You buy in using Vickers/CIMB/POEMs on 28 Jan 16 (when it is still CD)
Even though the stock only goes to your CDP account after the EX-date (T+3, ~1 Feb 2016)
You will still be entitled to the dividends

Because some people think the stock needs to be in the CDP account on the EX date for them to be entitled to the dividends ?

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

ryuunix

Reaction score
Why so hard up about dividends

The interesting about the recent change in people's taste, is that more and more people want to get their money back or having something (like a payout) that is regular. Thus more people are going into dividends. The fact that recently the market is heading fluctuating also shows how time and time again that most people are always affected by the short term volatility.

But as some of our guys have mentioned,
1) there are dividends that are paid out of NAV
2) dividends not paid from NAV
3) dividends that are fixed in payout, no matter how much their stocks or funds cost
4) dividends that gives out % of their NAV

Hardly any single stock companies can cushion any kind of crisis or financial storm. But if you were to look into funds, those that are have dynamic assets and have tactical allocation, allows the fund managers to switch around (different asset classes) to cushion depending on the type of industry issues. (example like the oil and equity markets are now weakening) Those stocks are in the market (IPO) will be sensitive. Then you will have to filter those that are capable (these goes towards long term) and that are violatile (which wouldnt make sense for dividend investment, only buying low and high sell). If you want to go towards dividends, my advice is those stable companies, or into tactic funds or private companies that are not violatile to industries like oil and a few others

my 2 cents

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
The interesting about the recent change in people's taste, is that more and more people want to get their money back or having something (like a payout) that is regular. Thus more people are going into dividends. The fact that recently the market is heading fluctuating also shows how time and time again that most people are always affected by the short term volatility.

But as some of our guys have mentioned,
1) there are dividends that are paid out of NAV
2) dividends not paid from NAV
3) dividends that are fixed in payout, no matter how much their stocks or funds cost
4) dividends that gives out % of their NAV

Hardly any single stock companies can cushion any kind of crisis or financial storm. But if you were to look into funds, those that are have dynamic assets and have tactical allocation, allows the fund managers to switch around (different asset classes) to cushion depending on the type of industry issues. (example like the oil and equity markets are now weakening) Those stocks are in the market (IPO) will be sensitive. Then you will have to filter those that are capable (these goes towards long term) and that are violatile (which wouldnt make sense for dividend investment, only buying low and high sell). If you want to go towards dividends, my advice is those stable companies, or into tactic funds or private companies that are not violatile to industries like oil and a few others

my 2 cents

What you are looking for is etf, not funds.
Removed your advertising msg here just awhile back. Funds require a cost that is a multiple of etf for doing literally the same thing.

Anyway, for single stock that pays consistent or even incremental dividends during crisis, look no further than the CCC list.
There are literally 100s of such companies on the list.

Not sure if you don't know these things or choose to selectively promote certain stuff.

Last edited:

Tsukurial

Reaction score
Let me ask a noob question. I have read through some of the threads but still not quite sure.

If I bought 2000 SCI last month, then ex div next month with $0.06 distributed per share,does that mean my dividends is 2k x 0.06?

Genosis

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Let me ask a noob question. I have read through some of the threads but still not quite sure.

If I bought 2000 SCI last month, then ex div next month with $0.06 distributed per share,does that mean my dividends is 2k x 0.06?

Yes. That means u will get $120 in dividends. :D

wahkao3

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is because a company who has the ability to increase and pay its dividend from time to time is the best prove of its cash-generative ability. And of course companies who can afford to do that is also companies whom have sound balance sheet, and probably other competitive advantage as well

yes agreed

a lot of people see the company given dividend, therefore they think the company has cash generative ability and competitive advantage. The right way to invest is to do it the other way around.

The right way to invest is to analyse the company, determine whether it has cash generative ability and competitive advantage, and therefore have the ability to pay dividend

wahkao3

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
next he will say you should not be hard up over blue chips like UOB, what you should do is to cherry pick using FA+TA from a list of 800 + stocks on SGX

yep, that's how it should be done
i say wrong meh? You can come up with a better method pls share. I humbly kow tow and learn from you :o

bjornng

Master Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i just got a question regarding calculation of dividend from sti.. went to dividends.sg and i'm pretty confused about what should my dividend be.

8c2squG.jpg

from this image, how do i tabulate the dividend that i receive? would be good if someone can shed some light on this! thanks! :)

wahkao3

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
t if you were to look into funds, those that are have dynamic assets and have tactical allocation, allows the fund managers to switch around (different asset classes) to cushion depending on the type of industry issues. (example like the oil and equity markets are now weakening)

talk cock only lah. They are not as dynamic as you think :s13:;)

WarCloud7

Master Member
Reaction score
not sure if can ask this here: I just discovered some dividend cheques from years ago... somehow forgot to bank in.... are they still valid? how to recover my $?

Bedokian

Reaction score
not sure if can ask this here: I just discovered some dividend cheques from years ago... somehow forgot to bank in.... are they still valid? how to recover my $?

Cheques usually will have a valid period. If possible, contact the company's investor relations and ask them on how to go about it.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.