Anybody using Singtel Mesh?

syncmos

Reaction score
if its an old desktop, my guess is the Ethernet port is limited to 100 mpbs. The new ones shud have gigabit ports.

when the 5ghz light is red, 2.4ghz is till working fine. If the location for this unit is fixed, u can try adjusting the location of the other units to get better 5ghz reception.

Even my Apple TV4 Ethernet is limited to 100 mbps. So wireless on ATV4 is faster then wired.

oic. I am using Acer desktop Predator G3610

syncmos

Reaction score
if its an old desktop, my guess is the Ethernet port is limited to 100 mpbs. The new ones shud have gigabit ports.

when the 5ghz light is red, 2.4ghz is till working fine. If the location for this unit is fixed, u can try adjusting the location of the other units to get better 5ghz reception.

Even my Apple TV4 Ethernet is limited to 100 mbps. So wireless on ATV4 is faster then wired.

Base on the desktop spec as follow;

Data Link Protocol - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n

So got any limitation ?

syncmos

Reaction score
wired shud be fast! anyway to try direct wired connection to ST router?

My router in living room bro. that why I using wifi mesh lol.

The only wired is from mesh to desktop. can consider wired bo?

kzonexx

Reaction score
My router in living room bro. that why I using wifi mesh lol.

The only wired is from mesh to desktop. can consider wired bo?

I meant carry to living room just to try for comparison sake... wired to router vs wired to mesh vs wifi to mesh.

syncmos

Reaction score
I meant carry to living room just to try for comparison sake... wired to router vs wired to mesh vs wifi to mesh.

Bro, carrying the whole desktop + monitor + keyboard + mouse + cable all the way to living room just for testing of speed via wired ...hmmmmm

By the way, I do a test last night. by turning my 2nd wifi mesh which is in the middle off. I notice the 1st mesh 5ghz turn red, and 3rd mesh 5ghz turn red. Only left with 2.4ghz green. To my surprise , the speed is like faster then having both 5ghz and 2.4 ghz green. kinda funny

toyknight

Deluxe Member
Reaction score
For singtel wifi mesh, is it collect on the spot at hello shop or need to make an appointment for the technician to come to your house?

Singtel

Featured Sponsor
Reaction score
For singtel wifi mesh, is it collect on the spot at hello shop or need to make an appointment for the technician to come to your house?
Hi toyknight,

Yes, the WiFi Mesh can be purchased at our Singtel Retail Shops and you can bring home to install on your own.

There is no need for an appointment for the technician to install for you. It's plug and play.

Hope that clarifies.

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi toyknight,

Yes, the WiFi Mesh can be purchased at our Singtel Retail Shops and you can bring home to install on your own.

There is no need for an appointment for the technician to install for you. It's plug and play.

Hope that clarifies.
Is the connection seemless? Im currently on another RSP and their technician set up the router in my room as a wifi extender. The phone will detect this extender but means it will change from router to this extender. There will be interruption if watching long youtube video.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is the connection seemless? Im currently on another RSP and their technician set up the router in my room as a wifi extender. The phone will detect this extender but means it will change from router to this extender. There will be interruption if watching long youtube video.

Yes it's almost seamless. The backhaul is not as big, your device shouldn't detect a drop in connection although practically there's a split second drop. Most devices should have a buffer, so ideally you won't even notice any difference for watching long YouTube videos.

toyknight

Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Will the wifi mesh devices still work if I connect both of them to the router via lan points in different room?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Will the wifi mesh devices still work if I connect both of them to the router via lan points in different room?

not at the moment. soon enough a firmware update will enable this feature. By doing so, the mesh becomes access points to each other while offering automatic roaming without backhaul.

Currently, only one node can be connected to router and the other paired node must be on wireless bridge.

toyknight

Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. Hope they come out the firmware soon.

Brandycoke

Reaction score
I've installed the mesh for a month now and the 5.0ghz light on both units is perpetually red... Only realized is not normal when I came across this thread... Can anybody enlighten me as to why this is so? Thanks!

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Red but not blinking? If it's blinking it indicates error. If it's not, it might mean out of coverage.

Try putting them closer together..

I've installed the mesh for a month now and the 5.0ghz light on both units is perpetually red... Only realized is not normal when I came across this thread... Can anybody enlighten me as to why this is so? Thanks!

Brandycoke

Reaction score
Red but not blinking? If it's blinking it indicates error. If it's not, it might mean out of coverage.

Try putting them closer together..

Errm... The main unit is placed immediately next to the Singtel modem already... It Can't get any closer but the 5.0ghz on that one is also solid red... Am i dong something wrong?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh no. Have you disabled the Wi-Fi on your router?

Pls disable it should you intend to use the mesh near the router..

Alternatively you have to spread out the nodes far away from the router, so that the interference is minimum..

Errm... The main unit is placed immediately next to the Singtel modem already... It Can't get any closer but the 5.0ghz on that one is also solid red... Am i dong something wrong?

rejuvienate

Reaction score
Hi guys, came across this as I was looking for more info on the wifi mesh. My modem/router/optical network terminal etc is all situated in the living room, and my room is quite far away, 2 walls in between.
my DIY PC currently using a TP-link High Gain 150Mbps wireless USB adapter. Recent months my internet connection like not very consistent. Will getting the wifi mesh help improve my connection?
I read some of the previous posts but I dont get it when there was a reply saying to place the first unit mesh away from the singtel modem?
My impression of the wifi mesh is; 1 unit place beside modem and connect by cable, then the second unit will place my room to receive the wifi. So i can get a LAN cable and connect the second unit to my com to have "wired internet".

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
no it doesn't work like what you wanted it to be.

the 2 units must be close enough to one another to form a wireless mesh. what you want to do is like using an access point, which is not the primary intention of WiFi mesh.

in another closed door event with singtel showcasing the WiFi mesh, there should be an upcoming WiFi mesh firmware update in which the nodes no longer require a "line of sight" but still able to form a mesh by using ethernet cable.. so far, as far as I know it's still in testing phase..

the update will be rolled out automatically to mesh users..

Hi guys, came across this as I was looking for more info on the wifi mesh. My modem/router/optical network terminal etc is all situated in the living room, and my room is quite far away, 2 walls in between.
my DIY PC currently using a TP-link High Gain 150Mbps wireless USB adapter. Recent months my internet connection like not very consistent. Will getting the wifi mesh help improve my connection?
I read some of the previous posts but I dont get it when there was a reply saying to place the first unit mesh away from the singtel modem?
My impression of the wifi mesh is; 1 unit place beside modem and connect by cable, then the second unit will place my room to receive the wifi. So i can get a LAN cable and connect the second unit to my com to have "wired internet".

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.