HP Spectre x360 (Intel 7th Gen - Kaby Lake)

siaoz85

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just purchased the new HP Spectre x360 yesterday which is using the new Intel 7th Generation Kaby Lake processors. Im wondering if there are anyone else interested in this laptop. I bought it after considering long and hard and I had compared the following laptops before ending up with this purchase:

1) Lenovo Yogo 900s
2) Dell XPS 13 (7th Gen Intel)
3) HP Spectre x360 (7th Gen Intel)

My usage is for mostly work productivity (word and excel), internet surfing, videos and occasional photo-editing. Additional, i prefer a 2-in-1 laptop that can transform into a tablet.

The model i bought is the HP Spectre x360 Conve 13-w017TU.

- Intel Core i7-7500U (2.7GHz, Intel turbo boost technology up to 3.5GHz)
- 8GB LPDDR-1866 SDRAM
- 512GB PCIe NVMe M.2SSD
- Full HD touch screen IPS display

Hardewarezone has an article about this new late 2016 model here. http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech-news-new-hp-spectre-x360-thinner-lighter-and-more-powerful

Here are the reaons why i eventually chose the new HP Spectre.

1) Of all three, keyboard feels the most clicky and comfortable. Depth was just nice. Dell feels ok. Yoga 900s feels quite shallow.

2) Intel Core M7 on the Yoga 900s feels quite dated with the release of the Intel 7th Gen Kaby Lake processors.

3) Love the XPS 13 edge to edge screen. However, i feel that the HP Spectre x360's new edge to edge screen feels good too. Do note that there are still thicker bezels on the top and bottom as compared to the XPS 13. However, i feel the screen of the Spectre already feels beautiful compared to many laptops in the market.

4) The Spectre can be turned into a tablet. Feels good in the hand. Yoga 900S feels lighter, but the feel is not as solid.

5) Spectre has the most premium build quality compare to the Dell and Yoga 900s

6) The screen feels sharp even though it is only full HD (1920 x 1080). Dell and Yoga 900s is QHD onwards but i really cant see much difference in the clarity.

7) The Spectre's quad firing speakers are loud and good!

8) Infrared HD camera for Windows hello login using face recognition is good. Very accurate i would say.

That's all i can think of now. One think i noticed is that the screen has a slight yellowish tint. I will monitor for a week and see if its an issue.

If anyone has any questions can ask away and I will try to reply. Busy during the working days but I will try. Hope this helps to create more interest for people who are eyeing on the new Spectre! :s12:

LonelyMan

Master Member
Reaction score
One of those nice ultraportables. But the main issue with HP laptop is despite having USB-C/Thunderbolt 3, they do not allow third party chargers like Anker, Tronsmart, Innergie and other laptop chargers from Dell, Apple etc to charge the laptop. This kind of lessen the attractiveness of having USB Power Delivery, where you can share adapters among laptops, tablets, smartphones and powerbanks.

Personally I would prefer to use third party adapters, like Anker, Tronsmart and even powerbanks, all with USB Power Delivery 2.0. No doubt this laptop is very nice, but I would probably give it a miss.

siaoz85

Reaction score
One of those nice ultraportables. But the main issue with HP laptop is despite having USB-C/Thunderbolt 3, they do not allow third party chargers like Anker, Tronsmart, Innergie and other laptop chargers from Dell, Apple etc to charge the laptop. This kind of lessen the attractiveness of having USB Power Delivery, where you can share adapters among laptops, tablets, smartphones and powerbanks.

Personally I would prefer to use third party adapters, like Anker, Tronsmart and even powerbanks, all with USB Power Delivery 2.0. No doubt this laptop is very nice, but I would probably give it a miss.

Maybe ive yet to see the need. But can i know why the preference to use other brands of charger since they HP already provide a 65W quick charger with the laptop?

siaoz85

Reaction score
How much and where did u bought it from?

Retail price at $2299. Bought it from HP store at Marina Square. I think i bought the first set. Cause i cannot find it anywhere else (Brochure states to pre-order) and I was informed stock just came in on Sunday at the HP Store.

LonelyMan

Master Member
Reaction score
Maybe ive yet to see the need. But can i know why the preference to use other brands of charger since they HP already provide a 65W quick charger with the laptop?

Like I said earlier, use a power bank to charge the laptop instead of power adapter when you cannot find a power plug or use a dual port power adapter to charge both the laptop and a phone to free up the USB port and charge up the laptop fast compared to charging the phone from the laptop.

Like now, I am in Thailand and some of the cafes here charges you to use the power plug or they don't have power plug. When I am traveling around, I would always bring my power bank (10k mah) to keep my phone, GoPro Hero 5 charged up on the way. I would also have a quick charge adapter to refill my powerbank whenever I have the chance.

ktyandkyc

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is there a non-touchscreen version? Additionally, how are the after-sales service like? I know Dell's gd

Last edited:

siaoz85

Reaction score
Like I said earlier, use a power bank to charge the laptop instead of power adapter when you cannot find a power plug or use a dual port power adapter to charge both the laptop and a phone to free up the USB port and charge up the laptop fast compared to charging the phone from the laptop.

Like now, I am in Thailand and some of the cafes here charges you to use the power plug or they don't have power plug. When I am traveling around, I would always bring my power bank (10k mah) to keep my phone, GoPro Hero 5 charged up on the way. I would also have a quick charge adapter to refill my powerbank whenever I have the chance.

I tried to charge it with my Aukey 16000mah charger via USB C and indeed it is not compatible. HP should allow other chargers!

siaoz85

Reaction score
is there a non-touchscreen version? Additionally, how are the after-sales service like? I know Dell's gd

No non touch screen versions as far as Im aware. Have yet to have any need for after sales. But HP is a long time brand. I believe it should be good. Should be better than lenovo for sure! lol.

souler87

Reaction score
too bad HP lock out other brands of type C charger and external GPU solution.
Dell on the other hand for this price only have 256GB ssd instead of HP 512GB

ym901s

Reaction score
Retail price at $2299. Bought it from HP store at Marina Square. I think i bought the first set. Cause i cannot find it anywhere else (Brochure states to pre-order) and I was informed stock just came in on Sunday at the HP Store.

I was like one to consider the HP Spectre x360 but with 1TB SSD configuration (which is super value for $400 extra).

But eventually I was poisoned by the Asus Zenbook 3 gorgeous look and featherweight body :s13:

albel81

Reaction score
For charging via powerbank, wondering is this something HP blocked or same as other brands?

OPEL184

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just purchased the new HP Spectre x360 yesterday which is using the new Intel 7th Generation Kaby Lake processors. Im wondering if there are anyone else interested in this laptop. I bought it after considering long and hard and I had compared the following laptops before ending up with this purchase:

1) Lenovo Yogo 900s
2) Dell XPS 13 (7th Gen Intel)
3) HP Spectre x360 (7th Gen Intel)

My usage is for mostly work productivity (word and excel), internet surfing, videos and occasional photo-editing. Additional, i prefer a 2-in-1 laptop that can transform into a tablet.

The model i bought is the HP Spectre x360 Conve 13-w017TU.

- Intel Core i7-7500U (2.7GHz, Intel turbo boost technology up to 3.5GHz)
- 8GB LPDDR-1866 SDRAM
- 512GB PCIe NVMe M.2SSD
- Full HD touch screen IPS display

Hardewarezone has an article about this new late 2016 model here. http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech-news-new-hp-spectre-x360-thinner-lighter-and-more-powerful

Here are the reaons why i eventually chose the new HP Spectre.

1) Of all three, keyboard feels the most clicky and comfortable. Depth was just nice. Dell feels ok. Yoga 900s feels quite shallow.

2) Intel Core M7 on the Yoga 900s feels quite dated with the release of the Intel 7th Gen Kaby Lake processors.

3) Love the XPS 13 edge to edge screen. However, i feel that the HP Spectre x360's new edge to edge screen feels good too. Do note that there are still thicker bezels on the top and bottom as compared to the XPS 13. However, i feel the screen of the Spectre already feels beautiful compared to many laptops in the market.

4) The Spectre can be turned into a tablet. Feels good in the hand. Yoga 900S feels lighter, but the feel is not as solid.

5) Spectre has the most premium build quality compare to the Dell and Yoga 900s

6) The screen feels sharp even though it is only full HD (1920 x 1080). Dell and Yoga 900s is QHD onwards but i really cant see much difference in the clarity.

7) The Spectre's quad firing speakers are loud and good!

8) Infrared HD camera for Windows hello login using face recognition is good. Very accurate i would say.

That's all i can think of now. One think i noticed is that the screen has a slight yellowish tint. I will monitor for a week and see if its an issue.

If anyone has any questions can ask away and I will try to reply. Busy during the working days but I will try. Hope this helps to create more interest for people who are eyeing on the new Spectre! :s12:

Hi,
Q1.How long the battery last?
Q2.Does laptop becomes very hot after continuous usage?

LonelyMan

Master Member
Reaction score
For charging via powerbank, wondering is this something HP blocked or same as other brands?

https://www.google.com.sg/amp/www.pcworld.com/article/3017182/hardware/usb-c-charging-universal-or-bust-we-plug-in-every-device-we-have-to-chase-the-dream.amp.html

Refer to this test

LonelyMan

Master Member
Reaction score
No non touch screen versions as far as Im aware. Have yet to have any need for after sales. But HP is a long time brand. I believe it should be good. Should be better than lenovo for sure! lol.

They closed their service centre at Alexandra, at least for the corporate side and my ex company laptops servicing are done onsite. Is consumer units onsite warranty as well?

siaoz85

Reaction score
Hi,
Q1.How long the battery last?
Q2.Does laptop becomes very hot after continuous usage?

1. I haven't tried using from full to zero in one go. Not sure if it really last Long like what they say, 10 plus hours but don't feel like it. It does not show the battery calculated timing. I think it has something to do with the bios. I did not use battery saving mode so seems like the battery goes down faster. Need to monitor further before I can feedback on this.

2. If no graphic intensive stuff like net surfing, YouTube etc, fan does not turn on. Play some simple games like the Microsoft jackpot the fan does turn on and there is heat but nothing unbearable. The heat does not come from the palm rest area and not at the bottom of the keyboard. It's somewhere upper left area of the keyboard so it does not cause u to feel uncomfortable while typing.

OPEL184

Reaction score
1. I haven't tried using from full to zero in one go. Not sure if it really last Long like what they say, 10 plus hours but don't feel like it. It does not show the battery calculated timing. I think it has something to do with the bios. I did not use battery saving mode so seems like the battery goes down faster. Need to monitor further before I can feedback on this.

2. If no graphic intensive stuff like net surfing, YouTube etc, fan does not turn on. Play some simple games like the Microsoft jackpot the fan does turn on and there is heat but nothing unbearable. The heat does not come from the palm rest area and not at the bottom of the keyboard. It's somewhere upper left area of the keyboard so it does not cause u to feel uncomfortable while typing.

Hi,
Thank you for your information

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.