NieR: Automata

Pyre

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Square Enix announced NieR New Project, a new NieR game that promises a blend of action and RPG gameplay style developed by Platinum Games exclusively for PlayStation 4.

Director: Yoko Taro
Producer: Yosuke Saito
Game Designer: Takahisa Taura (Metal Gear Rising)
Composer: Keiichi Okabe (Drakengard)
According to Platinum Games producer Atsushi Inaba, the request was to instill new strength in the NieR franchise by levering Platinum’s specialty, action.

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score

R1: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...1128/cid=UP0082-CUSA06999_00-NIERAUTOMATADEMO
R2: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...1128/cid=EP0082-CUSA07007_00-NIERAUTOMATADEMO
R2 Japan: https://store.playstation.com/#!/ja...1128/cid=JP0082-CUSA06944_00-NIERAUTOMATADEMO (supports English) [info provided by ckleow79]
R3: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...1128/cid=UP0082-CUSA06999_00-ASIA000000000000

Edit: demo available on SG store now

Last edited:

avi6274

Reaction score
So its not available in Singapore? That sucks... I can't find it in the playstation store.

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score
better than FFXV ???
I wouldn't say so. Based on the demo...

- Nier graphics not so good. Did I actually play it on ps4?

- It doesn't have fully free movement. Often it becomes side scrolling (i know it's a design but it's not very appealing). And there's a lot more invisible walls.

- It has many rooms where you go in, room will get locked, enemies drop in, you have to kill them all (no where to escape) then another door opens to get out. Wah lau what year already still got such design (typically all Platinum games are like that). It basically tells me that they just load that small area, you clear it, it goes load another small area... technically it is miles behind compared to how FF15 can seamlessly load a big open area and offering you free movement.

- Again typical for a Platinum game, controls is complicated. Here you have to control a gun (no target lock if you play hard or higher so you have to manually move the reticle) and 2 melee weapons simultaneously (mapped to light and heavy attack buttons). Personally i cant find a suitable button mapping - I would rather use L2 for dodge roll, which is not available; where got people use R1 to fire gun, R2 to roll, or any combination of that. It feels like this game is meant to be played with the gun trigger button rubber banded down.

- Bullet hell. Nuff said.

- The platforming here feels better than FF15. FF15 the jumping mechanics is not very good (you will feel that especially when doing the secret dungeon that you can only fly to).

- Both share one issue. In Nier, you go up to a chest, you have to stand at a very precise spot to get the prompt to open it, one step off and can't open. Same as FF15's pick up issue.

- Based on past games (Nier and Drakengard series), the story is only going to get very dark, making FF15's looks like a happy ending.

Swordsman

Banned
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say so. Based on the demo...

- It doesn't have fully free movement. Often it becomes side scrolling (i know it's a design but it's not very appealing). And there's a lot more invisible walls.

- It has many rooms where you go in, room will get locked, enemies drop in, you have to kill them all (no where to escape) then another door opens to get out. Wah lau what year already still got such design (typically all Platinum games are like that). It basically tells me that they just load that small area, you clear it, it goes load another small area... technically it is miles behind compared to how FF15 can seamlessly load a big open area and offering you free movement.

- Again typical for a Platinum game, controls is complicated. Here you have to control a gun (no target lock if you play hard or higher so you have to manually move the reticle) and 2 melee weapons simultaneously (mapped to light and heavy attack buttons). Personally i cant find a suitable button mapping - I would rather use L2 for dodge roll, which is not available; where got people use R1 to fire gun, R2 to roll, or any combination of that. It feels like this game is meant to be played with the gun trigger button rubber banded down.

- The platforming here feels better than FF15. FF15 the jumping mechanics is not very good (you will feel that especially when doing the secret dungeon that you can only fly to).

- Both share one issue. In Nier, you go up to a chest, you have to stand at a very precise spot to get the prompt to open it, one step off and can't open. Same as FF15's pick up issue.

- Based on past games (Nier and Drakengard series), the story is only going to get very dark, making FF15's looks like a happy ending.

so much negatives over positives for this game.

another wait for sale type of game ? :s13:

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score
so much negatives over positives for this game.

another wait for sale type of game ? :s13:
Based on the demo, to me it's a wait for sale. But havent seen more story or more of the characters yet. If got such outstanding char like the girl in ps3 Nier that may change :s13:

Playing the demo reminds me nothing of the ps3 Nier that I played. It was long ago but I remember Nier as more open, big wide fields, can do farming (agriculture type) and fishing, a lot of the RPG stuff. Here this Platinum game feels like '80s double dragon beat 'em up type of game, no sign of RPG at all.

Swordsman

Banned
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I shall wait for review.... lol.

Based on the demo, to me it's a wait for sale. But havent seen more story or more of the characters yet. If got such outstanding char like the girl in ps3 Nier that may change :s13:

Playing the demo reminds me nothing of the ps3 Nier that I played. It was long ago but I remember Nier as more open, big wide fields, can do farming (agriculture type) and fishing, a lot of the RPG stuff. Here this Platinum game feels like '80s double dragon beat 'em up type of game, no sign of RPG at all.

qwertified

Reaction score
Just finished the demo. Not very impressed by it, somewhat repetitive combat. Maybe its been a long time since i played traditional hack & slash but i don't feel excited with such gameplay anymore. I don't know what the previous nier is like, but this doesn't play like an RPG at all, pretty much is a platinum title with leveling up.

Graphics is average, not exactly what i would expect for a PS4 title, but i kinda expected this one at least, from gameplay videos alrdy can tell. Boss battle nothing special, the dodge skill so imba can keep spamming and dodge continuously without limitation. I'm starting to appreciate the stamina bar of the souls games more now lol.

The only positive point abt the demo is that its running smoothly at 60fps the whole time, at least thats how it feels. But if the whole game pretty much plays like that, i would just skip it, sale or no sale. Ni-oh would be a much better choice.

Last edited:

jusis86

Banned
Reaction score
Rachet and clank series? Seeing how all those screws n bolt drops around after killing n pickingn

But its a really easy to play, nothing too hard to master.

Good.for those who wan easy n quick learn, no need to ve like ffxv, so many things to remember.

iron2000

Reaction score
Looking at the demo play videos it reminds me of Rockman.
Feels like a linear platformer.

The boss is scary, the HP so much.

The gameplay like want to be many games, maybe you like or don't.

Drakengard and Nier got many endings so this one should have also.
(Maybe the demo is also an ending?)
Also scared wait past characters appear then what they refer to new player catch no ball then cannot enjoy.

dio brando

Master Member
Reaction score

graphics not 'amazingly fantastic' but for me, the 60fps, action, art style, story can make up for it. and also it's not that "bad" till those sarcastic comment.

its a "NIER" thing. like how there's chocobo or cid in every FF. of course if u hate its fine too.

not all platinum games are like that. and nier:automata IS going to be open world and there is fishing. perhaps its the level design of this demo? for all i know, majority of the game weren't going to be like u said "room > clear > load" megaman. theres even "town" for weapon/item trade/sell, upgrades, subquest ETC.

controls ain't complicated. 1 speed attack 1 power attack 1 dodge 1 jump. R2 dodge is bayonetta setting, no problem for me. gun wise... is like lock on la, just hold down 1 button... the easy auto mode is there for a purpose.

again, its a "NIER" thing. fans like it. u don't like its ok.

yes agree. this is stupid. theres a particular chest in the demo where the camera angle will change if we didn't position properly. BUT, it really just a non existence issue

yoko taro did mentioned its going to be a good ending. but seriously i have doubt with his brain's idea.

opinion's are very subjective. i love dmc/bayonetta style of hack and slash, not koei's 'musou' crap.

i didn't buy FF15. it's not a bad game, it's just super overrated for me. i don't hate it, but if i'm looking for "ACTION RPG", i'm looking at something like nier:automata. (not to mention noctis got a move, "throwing his sword and teleports to his enemy" yet nier's more fluid more speedy control is being termed as complicated)

better than FFXV ???

for me, as of what i "know" about nier:automata till now, yes Nier > FF15. infact i've alrdy bought digital pre-order.

then again, my opinion is VERY subjective. bayonetta gameplay, RPG element, Nier's world concept, 60FPS this is like a dream game combo for me.

Last edited:

kimsix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nier 1 has best soundtrack for PS3. So soulful and old school. :o
The Nier director is known to be unconventional in his stories, looking forward to Steam version.

iron2000

Reaction score

2nd official showcase video.
Show some hidden stuff in the demo and some new gameplay, customization stuff.

Gave me a better impression of the game.
But the boss in the demo is really horrible.

iron2000

Reaction score

New movie clip.
End with some strange glyphs.
"yorha truth"

Last edited:

dio brando

Master Member
Reaction score
New movie clip.
End with some strange glyphs.
"yorha truth"

super spoiler video lol

the REAL heroine is actually A2? :s13:

looks like Saito yosuke will be bringing along Suwa ayaka instead of mikasa for after sales promo events liao :s13:

of course above are just my guessing; why would SE wanna reveal such videos, why not just keep everything secret until release...

P.S. i'm not the kind who rush through games, wanna enjoy the game to the fullest. but 5days later comes horizon zero dawn :s13:

shin7829

Reaction score
I am abit skeptical on this title

because of the traumatic experiences of playing the drakengard from square enix
that game really sucks big time in terms of game play and storyline................................

Last edited:

dio brando

Master Member
Reaction score
I am abit skeptical on this title

because of the traumatic experiences of playing the dragoon from square enix
that game really sucks big time in terms of game play and storyline................................

u don't watch videos or play the demo one?

DoD and nier gameplay sucks i totally agree, i think it sucks too. this time gameplay is handle by platinum games... the standard is definitely better then previous title by 500%.

as for story, well u don't like it i'm cool with it (i can accept not everyone likes it). its bad end for every yako taro's game :s13::s13: he says its 'good end' this time, but i seriously doubt it :s13:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.