Future of Kinokuniya seems challenging..

Qubicfactor

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's exorbitant. I won't blame Kino if it moves out of NAC and optimize their online business model instead.

I seriously think the crappy rental prices here in SG are killing so many businesses. Why can't the darn owners just charge lesser and at least have a steady stream of monthly income? What good does it do to them in the long term if they are driving people out of businesses like that?

Moving out? doubt so. They just took over the space belonging to one of the restaurants in front, opening in 2017.

linxiaobei

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Landlords don't care. If one tenant go, there will be another one to replace. When the day where no tenants are coming then they will revise their rates and do a compromise.

They got the same piece of land and they need to squeeze more money out of the same piece of asset....how do they do that? There's two ways, one is to cut down on the rentable space while maintaining same rental rate or increase the rate for the same rentable space.

Maybe they can start looking at downsizing while maintaining their selections with their online platform or just shift to warehouse where it is cheaper.

Sent from Sun using GAGT

Shion

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
PMpXdtg.jpg

deathan9el

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
been awhile since my last book-browse at Kino :o
gotta agree of more browsers than buyers but some will end up to get smthn' . :o

hope this book store thingy won't close down for gd as did CD stores

Shion

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
gotta agree of more browsers than buyers but some will end up to get smthn' . :o

Don't think will, but may be possible they will scale down the number of stores in the future if business is stagnant ?

Unclemun

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Was at KLCC recently and shopped at Kino. That store is much better arranged and the prices much better, based on my feeling of the USD to MYR price

Reaction score

CD shops are damn chui lo, import those trashes from AMDK land or kimchi land

numbers

Master Member
Reaction score
kino sells books at overpriced margins. I can get the same book at bookdepository.com or amazon.com at a much lower price with free shipping.

lemon812

Reaction score
Kinokuniya provides a conducive environment to while away time while getting lost in books. Hope it continues to stay relevant even though competition from online stores is getting really tough. Maybe they can go into e-book business too. Diversifying could always reduce risks and losses.

Shion

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
From their website, their line of business

Sales of Japanese / foreign books, journals (including electronic journals), magazines, CD-ROMs, audio-visual software, stationery, and educational and library equipment / systems; electronic information services; publishing; production of audio-visual software; production of bibliographic databases; management of theaters and an art gallery

Reaction score
Kinokuniya provides a conducive environment to while away time while getting lost in books. Hope it continues to stay relevant even though competition from online stores is getting really tough. Maybe they can go into e-book business too. Diversifying could always reduce risks and losses.

E-book is convenient but lacked of 'life' :(

valentines

Reaction score
It's been about 10 years since I last visited them. Getting books online from amazon or bookdepository is just so much cheaper without travelling.

Shion

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
I bought the membership on June last year. I had $50 discount. Minus the membership fee of $20, I had discount of $30. I plan not to read any more books for 2 years. Turn to watch Netflix instead.

I see. Mine is the Suenaga Mirai card. End up also didn't buy much, because I spend my time browsing the books in the store instead of buying :(

Thessauron

Reaction score
Anybody knows whether they are expanding or shrinking? The Teochew restaurant next to them is now their space and reno has been going on for months.

I really hope they don't shrink further. :(

Shion

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
Anybody knows whether they are expanding or shrinking? The Teochew restaurant next to them is now their space and reno has been going on for months.

I really hope they don't shrink further. :(

Should be expanding ?

http://kinokuniya.com.sg/corporate-information/

Come 1Q 2017, Kinokuniya Singapore Main Store will unveil a new frontage that will give customers access to an even larger range of quality titles – and more space to browse your favourite tomes! Stay tuned for more updates to come…

Thessauron

Reaction score
It's wise for bookstores to close during CNY. Who wanna go, SHUUUUU dian then go play blackjack?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.