Never get SPF, can I apply again ?

Didactus

Reaction score
After a few months of interview, medical and waiting, I just got the email that my application for SPF Direct Entry Sergeant was unsuccessful. I am quite upset because this is something I wanted and I know there will be challenges and a lot of **** if I did manage to get but it is still very disappointing. Now I am not sure what to do. I finish serving 2 years army few months ago and I feel my experience in the army will help (regimentally).

Honestly, I still want to give it a try so can I apply again. If so, how long ? Is there any way to know why I was rejected ? My friend who is regular say once you pass interview phase you are basically in unless something wrong with medical (which I went and after that they told me I can go home, so I'm not sure whether I pass or fail).

Also, additional question, if cannot re-apply, I am planning to sign ICA. What are the difference between SPF and ICA ? I don't have friends in ICA so I cannot get any reliable opinions. What are the challenges both in training and in posting ?

mesmeriz3

Suspended
Reaction score
It's difficult to fail medical unless you have some major illness that they detected. Are u medically fit from the last time u checked during NS?
Typically, you can only apply after 6 months from the date u got rejected/date u applied to spf (i cant recall). I don't think u can find out why u failed, unless its the medical checkup component that u failed. Maybe try calling the medical centre to retrieve your records?

Lastly, why do u want to apply to ICA if u don't know what ICA does?

Didactus

Reaction score
@mesmeriz3 Before ORD, all the medical checks I managed to pass. A friend once told me family medical background can affect. I seem to be medically fit but my dad is diabetic. Could this affect ?

Also, apologies if this sounds rude but I see ICA as alternative to SPF. It was always a plan for ICA to be a backup but I foolishly thought not to do more research cos a lot of my friends say as long as you are medically fit and no criminal record, once you pass interview, should be good. Another reason, is some of my NS friends are also planning on ICA (I know, not a particularly good reason. But in my defence, I am planning on SPF, ICA even without them).

A friend of my friend also said that ICA is like SPF but with more paperwork and less/no fieldwork. But like I said, I don't consider this a strong source and would rather have opinions and advice from someone who is already in ICA.

Didactus

Reaction score
Go be military police or those auxiliary police?

Auxiliary police is also one of my option if ICA I cannot get.

As for MP, I spent two years chiong in army. Yes, it changed me for the better and I have fond memories, but no I don't want to go back to army hahaha.

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@mesmeriz3 Before ORD, all the medical checks I managed to pass. A friend once told me family medical background can affect. I seem to be medically fit but my dad is diabetic. Could this affect ?

Also, apologies if this sounds rude but I see ICA as alternative to SPF. It was always a plan for ICA to be a backup but I foolishly thought not to do more research cos a lot of my friends say as long as you are medically fit and no criminal record, once you pass interview, should be good. Another reason, is some of my NS friends are also planning on ICA (I know, not a particularly good reason. But in my defence, I am planning on SPF, ICA even without them).

A friend of my friend also said that ICA is like SPF but with more paperwork and less/no fieldwork. But like I said, I don't consider this a strong source and would rather have opinions and advice from someone who is already in ICA.
Why don't you ask your friend how he knows family medical background can affect?

It's a job after all. if you have that kind of mindset for any job, then you jialat liao.

why you so fixated about uniform service?

AsHEs_DeviLzz

Reaction score
Hey bro, i same with you sia, today received and got unsuccessful also.. Are you thinking of applying again?

Sent from Samsung SM-G935F using GAGT

Last edited:

mesmeriz3

Suspended
Reaction score
I dont think your dad being diabetic is a strong enough reason for them to reject you. Dad diabetic doesn't mean you will get. Anyway. if i remember correctly, going for medical doesn't mean you passed the final interview. (I applied as SIO before and this was mentioned)

Didactus

Reaction score
Hey bro, i same with you sia, today received and got unsuccessful also.. Are you thinking of applying again?

Sent from Samsung SM-G935F using GAGT

Yea really disappointed. Definitely will but if what mesmeriz3 say is true, that you have to wait 6 months since kena reject then I apply ICA or find full-time job first cos still need support family. cannot do that with part-time job pay. Maybe in the future I will try again.

Didactus

Reaction score
I dont think your dad being diabetic is a strong enough reason for them to reject you. Dad diabetic doesn't mean you will get. Anyway. if i remember correctly, going for medical doesn't mean you passed the final interview. (I applied as SIO before and this was mentioned)

Hmm I see, then I guess if I rejected cos of interview that's good cos that means I can improve it. If medical or health issue very hard to change.

Didactus

Reaction score
Why don't you ask your friend how he knows family medical background can affect?

It's a job after all. if you have that kind of mindset for any job, then you jialat liao.

why you so fixated about uniform service?

The way he explained it is: police help pay for healthcare = if father diabetic = i could be diabetic if it runs in family = police need to pay healthcare (which is a lot for diabetic sufferers). I don't know if this is entirely true but it made sense to me.

As for uniform service, it is for personal reason. Army really change me for the better I need the regimental environment to be productive. I don't like it but I need it. I had problems contributing to the family before ns but during ns totally change. but now few months after ord i feel like i'm rotting at home wasting space again, jumping from part-time job to part-time job. Uniform service is not the ideal life but it's stable for me. And my platoon sergeant said something that stuck with me until now "You don't have to like it, you just have to do it"

duhduhduh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why dont you consider signing on?

Since you are signing for Sergeant, I suppose it is with Diploma? I dont think theres much paperwork to do for ICA Junior Officers, mainly just ops (shiftwork) and possibly OT

duhduhduh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The way he explained it is: police help pay for healthcare = if father diabetic = i could be diabetic if it runs in family = police need to pay healthcare (which is a lot for diabetic sufferers). I don't know if this is entirely true but it made sense to me.

As for uniform service, it is for personal reason. Army really change me for the better I need the regimental environment to be productive. I don't like it but I need it. I had problems contributing to the family before ns but during ns totally change. but now few months after ord i feel like i'm rotting at home wasting space again, jumping from part-time job to part-time job. Uniform service is not the ideal life but it's stable for me. And my platoon sergeant said something that stuck with me until now "You don't have to like it, you just have to do it"

Erm bro, the highlighted parted does not make sense at all. What you are saying is "family genetic diseases" but there is no clear scientific evidence that supports that.

Do you have any disciplinary/offence problems in the past?

Didactus

Reaction score
Why dont you consider signing on?

Since you are signing for Sergeant, I suppose it is with Diploma? I dont think theres much paperwork to do for ICA Junior Officers, mainly just ops (shiftwork) and possibly OT

Yea both SPF and ICA that I mentioned I plan to sign on

Didactus

Reaction score
Erm bro, the highlighted parted does not make sense at all. What you are saying is "family genetic diseases" but there is no clear scientific evidence that supports that.

Do you have any disciplinary/offence problems in the past?

I'm not familiar with all the science hahaha so yeah my friend explained it, it made sense to me and I was just theorising why I was rejected. It could be for a whole other reason idk. I'm pretty sure the selection procedure is some atas classified level.

disciplinary/ offence problems, none at all. I am as clean as it gets haha and medically fit too. So I think it could either be my interview or some medical thing I'm not aware of

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with all the science hahaha so yeah my friend explained it, it made sense to me and I was just theorising why I was rejected. It could be for a whole other reason idk. I'm pretty sure the selection procedure is some atas classified level.

disciplinary/ offence problems, none at all. I am as clean as it gets haha and medically fit too. So I think it could either be my interview or some medical thing I'm not aware of
i think the qns is how your friend come to that conclusion

duhduhduh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Why didnt you just extend with SAF?

Anyway, you can try reaplying though.

Didactus

Reaction score
i think the qns is how your friend come to that conclusion

haha i dunno man. All i know my application was unsuccessful. I have clean record, I cleared interview, I am medically fit so I was trying to think of why I was rejected (cos i don't think SPF disclose this kind of info just like that) and I remembered having this convo with my friend about it. In no way am I saying it is how SPF operate. It was just speculation and I wanted to know if it was true.

If I meet him again, I will ask although he was a work friend and I lost contact

Didactus

Reaction score
Why didnt you just extend with SAF?

Anyway, you can try reaplying though.

I want to do some actual fieldwork. Also, army and cd is A LOT more physical, which is not something I think I can cope well.

Yes, I am planning to re-apply but not so soon.

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
haha i dunno man. All i know my application was unsuccessful. I have clean record, I cleared interview, I am medically fit so I was trying to think of why I was rejected (cos i don't think SPF disclose this kind of info just like that) and I remembered having this convo with my friend about it. In no way am I saying it is how SPF operate. It was just speculation and I wanted to know if it was true.

If I meet him again, I will ask although he was a work friend and I lost contact
pt i am trying to make is, you must differentiate between speculation and actual info.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.