Digital TV (DVB T2) Consolidated thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
cool thanks

shifting to new BTO, these new flats comes with points that i can connect? If have means no external antenna required?

No, external antenna is still require. The TV outlet in these BTO flats are meant for cable TV, in short it doesn't carry DVB-T2 signal. If you want to use these point then you need to purchase TV that come with DVB-C tuner which cost a bit more.

lmf2501

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No, external antenna is still require. The TV outlet in these BTO flats are meant for cable TV, in short it doesn't carry DVB-T2 signal. If you want to use these point then you need to purchase TV that come with DVB-C tuner which cost a bit more.

ahh ok

guess will do tv+external antenna ba

peterchan75

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Read somewhere in this thread that DVB T will stop in March 2017.
I have some questions and hope experts here can help.

1. What about the analog signal ? Also stop in March 2017 ?
End of 2017.
http://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...-tvs-or-set-top-boxes-needed-to-watch-free-to

2. Possible to get a DVB T2 set-top box with dual tuners ? I can watch one channel and record another or record both.

3. Which USB hard disk is most suitable for recording ? I mean those that can go standby mode with the set-top box.

4. I don't want to deal with internal antenna. Is it possible to receive free-to-air channel from SCV cable if I have a DVB T2 / C set-top box ?
The answer should be YES if I have DVB C set-top box.

Can I find such set-top box(DVB T2/C) here ?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My reply in bold. ;)

Read somewhere in this thread that DVB T will stop in March 2017.
I have some questions and hope experts here can help.

1. What about the analog signal ? Also stop in March 2017 ?
Analog signal stop at the end of 2017. No idea about DVB-T

2. Possible to get a DVB T2 set-top box with dual tuners ? I can watch one channel and record another or record both.
Haven't come across STB with dual tuners, not branded or PRC one

3. Which USB hard disk is most suitable for recording ? I mean those that can go standby mode with the set-top box.
Best to go with thumb drive instead, 32GB USB 2 is very cheap and can last about 8hrs of recording

4. I don't want to deal with internal antenna. Is it possible to receive free-to-air channel from SCV cable if I have a DVB T2 / C set-top box ? Can I find such set-top box(DVB T2/C) here ?
You meant indoor antenna rite? If your STB has both tuner then yes but then SCV cable service might not last after 2020. Yes, such STB is usually called combo box but mostly from PRC.

Thanks in advance.

peterchan75

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My reply in bold. ;)

Thank you. Thank you.:)
Hitting panic button... when I thought it was March 2017. :o

I saw on Alibaba some V8 model with dual tuners + DVB C. But I prefer to buy from local shop.

My wife record many programs and watches during weekends. So, 8 hrs may not be enough. Can use 64GB or 128GB USB stick ?

Last edited:

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I saw on Alibaba some V8 model with dual tuners + DVB C. But I prefer to buy from local shop.

My wife record many programs and watches during weekends. So, 8 hrs may not be enough. Can use 64GB or 128GB USB stick ?

Do you have the URL of the dual tuner STB? Don't think it will be cheap.

Even local seller get these STB from PRC and the worst is they tend to mark up the price 2-3 times or even more!

Larger size thumb drive should work as well.

peterchan75

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

petebull123

Reaction score

I've been using this 2 TB 2.5" Seagate external HDD with all my STBs without any issues.

What I do is I have more than one 2TB HDD and I swap them around (like video tapes, hehe) so that I can have one still doing recording while I can connect the other to a PC or media player to play back or edit recorded shows.

YMMV.
Cheers! :)

dexter9898

Reaction score
DVB-T will end by the end of February 2017 - less than 2 months from now.

This is the crawler text that is on all DVB-T channels, HD5, CNA (SD), CH5 (SD), CH8 (SD).

Mediacorp is upgrading its digital TV network in Singapore. To continue watching this channel, you need to switch to the new network by 28 February 2017. To learn how to make the switch, please visit www.mediacorp.sg/digitaltv or call 6435 6288.

新传媒正在为新加坡的数码电视服务进行提升。从2017年2月28日起,若要观看此频道须调整到新的数码电视系统。欲知调整步骤,请游览www.mediacorp.sg/digitaltv 或致电 6435 6288。

So if you are seeing this crawler running at the bottom of your video, you are still watching TV on DVB-T and will need to upgrade to DVB-T2.

Last edited:

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I've been using this 2 TB 2.5" Seagate external HDD with all my STBs without any issues.

What I do is I have more than one 2TB HDD and I swap them around (like video tapes, hehe) so that I can have one still doing recording while I can connect the other to a PC or media player to play back or edit recorded shows.

YMMV.

Mind sharing the brand & model of your STB?

peterchan75

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

YMMV.

The targeted user for my set-top box must be as idiot proof as possible. Set up once and use until the system breaks. Just like my LG DVD Recorder.

peterchan75

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I found this MyGica ATV 1950 aka Geniatech Andriod TV Box Quad Core Gold ATV1950. It has dual DVB T2 tuner. This is an ideal STB but it seems like no more in the market.:s22:

petebull123

Reaction score
Mind sharing the brand & model of your STB?

I've used the 2TB Seagate HDD with the following STBs:
1. No brand/model STB from Aliexpress in Oct 2014. Surprisingly, it's still working, hehe.
2. Konka KHDT863 ==> proprietary recorded format. Not able to play back on PC or other media players.
3. K3 China STB from Aliexpress in Apr 2016.
4. K1plus STB from Aliexpress in Aug 2016. It's an Android Kodi player + DVB-T2 (+ satellite stuff unusable here)

:)

peterchan75

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1. No brand/model STB from Aliexpress in Oct 2014. Surprisingly, it's still working, hehe.
2. Konka KHDT863 ==> proprietary recorded format. Not able to play back on PC or other media players.
4. K1plus STB from Aliexpress in Aug 2016. It's an Android Kodi player + DVB-T2 (+ satellite stuff unusable here)

That's lot's of boxes you have been using. :D
That MyGica STB looks promising especially the dual tuner one. :)

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Thanks for sharing.

When you have the time, can you kindly list the firmware version of item#1 & 3? Tks.

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That's lot's of boxes you have been using. :D
That MyGica STB looks promising especially the dual tuner one. :)

Not surprising given that most household would have at least 2 TV sets.

If you're thinking of getting Mygica product, do take note that their tech support suck big time. Couldn't resolve the issue with my USB TV stick. :(

peterchan75

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not surprising given that most household would have at least 2 TV sets.

If you're thinking of getting Mygica product, do take note that their tech support suck big time. Couldn't resolve the issue with my USB TV stick. :(

Wow ! Thanks for the heads up. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.