Noise-canceling headphones - very limited budget

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Nice to hear... but your budget still $300... ha ha ha... mine is less than $150... will pop in when I'm in the vicinity lar... thanks!

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Are you willing to sacrifice for a recessed male/female vocals? Male vocals start from bass (150hz) (deep voice) to lower treble (falsetto) and female starts from lower Mids (250hz) and above. Are you willing to sacrifice Soundstage as well? It depends on whether you value Soundstage, which gives a 3D effect feel. You might have to consider these factors. I would suggest heading down to a stereo shop, you'll be able to ensure that the product you're buying is what you like. Just my 2 cents :D

Edit : Different people have different preferences. So you'll have to justify if the sound signature suits you.

Sent from iPhone 17 using GAGT

I'm really not so particular about the way my music sounds cos the main purpose for this set is really to get clear vocals for movies in flight. The engine tends to drown out everything... hence the need for noise canceling... when you say the vocals are recessed, does affect speech in a movie?

nwong118

Reaction score
I'm really not so particular about the way my music sounds cos the main purpose for this set is really to get clear vocals for movies in flight. The engine tends to drown out everything... hence the need for noise canceling... when you say the vocals are recessed, does affect speech in a movie?
Vocals recessed means that the voice is softer as compared to the rest of the frequency range; in layman terms.

nwong118

Reaction score
Oh I see... that doesn't sound too good for dialogue in movies, does it?
Not very sure about it. I personally don't like recessed Mids as if I were listening to a song, the vocals are less engaging and far back. Not sure if it's the same for movies. I would still say it's best to try it for yourself. Perhaps there are better options at a price slightly higher than your budget?

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah I also don't know... need to bring my stuff along for a test drive lor... hai...

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
IMO better to go for noise isolation at this price range. Check out etymotic

I have a pair of Sennheisers which are circumcised headphones. In my room, they isolate the ambient noises quite well. On the plane, they're practically useless. The low frequency engine noise gets right through.... Hence my search for a noise canceling headphones.

hterbin

Reaction score
Hi,
Just want to ask if it's possible to buy a pair of noise-canceling headphones for a very limited budget of less than $150. I use the headphones to watch movies on a flight. I have circumaural headphones, Sennheisers but the roar of the airplane engines are so loud I can't hear the dialogue in the movie. I watch movies on my own Sony Tablet Z at max volume but I can hardly hear anything. I must say that I usually tune volume quite high when watching movies even on my tv or desktop cos I usually can't catch everything that is said. By the way, I usually fly budget airlines that's why I am watching movies from my tablet. But even in-flight entertainment also usually not loud enough or I should say background engine noise is too over-powering.

So this begs the question:

1) Would noise canceling headphones help?
2) Any recommendations for something less than $150?
3) Prefer headphones and not earbuds but open to all suggestions if any at all.

Thank you very much!

Definitely noise cancelling earphones would help, and opting for in-ear options tend to provide more passive isolation... As to recommendation, you can try heading down the Stereo @ Plaza Sing, ask the staff and try some out. But from online reviews it seems that even though Bose QCs can hurt your wallet, its a well worth investment :/

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Definitely noise cancelling earphones would help, and opting for in-ear options tend to provide more passive isolation... As to recommendation, you can try heading down the Stereo @ Plaza Sing, ask the staff and try some out. But from online reviews it seems that even though Bose QCs can hurt your wallet, its a well worth investment :/

I don't fly far enough to justify the outlay... just a regional 2 hour flight...

cracker

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't fly far enough to justify the outlay... just a regional 2 hour flight...

There is a NC earphone by audio technica. ATH ANC40.. It should be an old model going for $188 thereabout. You can do a read up...and check out the price at hachi tech....

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Finally got my hands on a set of Sony MDR-ZX110NC from the Sony Store at 313@Somerset. Only $69. The noise canceling is quite effective. But I'll really get a chance to try it on an aeroplane this coming Fri... will report back here.

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just used this $69 Sony noise-cancelling headphones on board a Jetstar flight, A320 Airbus jet... the flight take off was delayed by almost 30 min cos waiting for a long line of planes to take off... I was sitting just fore of the engines, row 4 of about 30+ rows... very good noise-cancelling effects.... I really can't hear much of the engine droning... even takeoff I could hear the conversation on my movie clearly... and even my seat neighbours I couldn't hear them speak to me... so it's a great budget buy!

Note: was watching the movie Arrival on a Sony Tablet Z using the native Sony movie playback app at maximum volume. This is an mp4 file with stereo audio, downmuxed from a Bluray source I think...

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.