Do u feel Pri 1 kids need tuition?

herzberg

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
P1 then tuition is too late liao. Already lagging behind peers.

My 5yr old nephew is already attending english phonics, chinese speech and drama, gymnastics and yamaha junior music class. Cousin gonna place him in either mindchamps or i can read cuz he thinks moe kindergarten cirriculum is lousy.

ramlee

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
Aiya, spend so much for what? Even if next time graduate also loose to cheeper FTs when fighting for jods :(

MegatonNev

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
k2 weekly alr got spelling n 听写。

I rembr my son during his K1, K2 already have spelling and 听写~ by the time he went P1, it wasn't that bad for him~ ��

my child had spelling and 听写 in K1 & k2.... 5 letter per week...

now ish 10 letter per week...
I'm not that stressed over it.... just find that understand things more important than knowing how to read and spell certain letters....

edit: I told my son it was ok if he can't score 10/10.... he couldn't cope with the pressure where his classmates can get all correct but he can't....

Last edited:

dgeralds

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can you tell me how to handle the mother tongue 2nd language? We the parents ourselves cannot speak or write basics. What alternative do kids have in primary 1 to 6?

For those with young kids, spend 15 minutes a day during K1 and K2 reading bedtime stories together with the kids. By P1, they should be able to read by themselves simple books. If you are able to do this, keeping up in school should not be too difficult. The maths needs basic reading skills. Mother tongue is up to your own prioritisation.

If you missed that, you will need at least one hour every weekday for 3-6 months to supervise their homework. This is where parents due to panic or laziness, outsource the homework supervision to tuition. A lot depends on the student care centre, there are some more responsible ones that will actively supervise the homework.

The current situation is due to the marketing efforts of the American style experiential learning of the premium kindergartens, the extremely lax childcare centres which together had started to cut the enrolment rates at PAP community foundation kindergartens. To boost enrolment, individual PCF centres started modifying their curriculum to be more interactive and less tough. If you are looking for someone to blame, look in the mirror. It's because of previous parents voting with their wallets that led to this.

Why do you think MOE started kindergartens and sponsoring non PCF kindergartens. MOE used to just issue guidelines of learning outcomes. But because sinkies parents started to skew the incentives. MOE bobian have to step in to regulate. The problem should be eliminated in 3-6 years. If you want to ensure that your child is properly educated by play, enrol in the MOE kindergartens.

ponpokku

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Do u think its necessary?

in a perfect world, no need... but in sg, the problem ish prolly with the curriculum. kids' academic learning curve ish prolly start slow at P1 but will pick up significantly as they grow older. the curriculum otoh prolly set in a straight line progression. not according to the kids' abilities at diff stages.

imagine the learning curve ish blue line, curriculum setting ish straight red line.

the region in btw the straight line and the curve? u'll need tuition to cover, unless u can cover on ur own. :s22::s22:

page1-1754px-Lorenz_kurve.pdf.jpg

my brother's kids, elder one now pri 4 and got no tuition. in one of the famous sch in bt timah area some more. but thats becos his waifu only working part time and got time to take care of the kids.

MegatonNev

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can you tell me how to handle the mother tongue 2nd language? We the parents ourselves cannot speak or write basics. What alternative do kids have in primary 1 to 6?

find him something of his interest in chinese...
I helped my secondary school friend with his chinese through Naruto...
now he can even read traditional chinese.... :s13::s13:

MegatonNev

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i think the parents need counseling.

lol...
i attended two talks and still got three more workshops to attend... missed one...
so all in all... from Dec to Mar... i have two talks and four workshops to attend.... :s22::s22::s11::s11:

CatLuVer

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I see my colleague's son who is 5 yrs old and jin poor thing. everyday childcare till 6pm. Then after that got phonics on mon nite, abacus class on tues nite, and so on till the end of the week.

MegatonNev

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For those with young kids, spend 15 minutes a day during K1 and K2 reading bedtime stories together with the kids. By P1, they should be able to read by themselves simple books. If you are able to do this, keeping up in school should not be too difficult. The maths needs basic reading skills. Mother tongue is up to your own prioritisation.

If you missed that, you will need at least one hour every weekday for 3-6 months to supervise their homework. This is where parents due to panic or laziness, outsource the homework supervision to tuition. A lot depends on the student care centre, there are some more responsible ones that will actively supervise the homework.

The current situation is due to the marketing efforts of the American style experiential learning of the premium kindergartens, the extremely lax childcare centres which together had started to cut the enrolment rates at PAP community foundation kindergartens. To boost enrolment, individual PCF centres started modifying their curriculum to be more interactive and less tough. If you are looking for someone to blame, look in the mirror. It's because of previous parents voting with their wallets that led to this.

Why do you think MOE started kindergartens and sponsoring non PCF kindergartens. MOE used to just issue guidelines of learning outcomes. But because sinkies parents started to skew the incentives. MOE bobian have to step in to regulate. The problem should be eliminated in 3-6 years. If you want to ensure that your child is properly educated by play, enrol in the MOE kindergartens.

maybe I just have different point of view with regards towards educating my child...
the current MOE system won't work for my boy.... but since he's in SG... not much choice....

Reaction score
Fug la kids r kids. They got at least 70 years ahead of them to compete and fight for survival. Now just let them enjoy a bit la. When they look back at least they'll feel good they have a proper childhood.
Of course have to teach them stuff but dont need to sweat all over it. For me most important is reading and the love for reading. Once they know how to read its a whole new world for them. And if they love reading that's it, they'll take care of their own learning thru reading good materials. Most important is the enrichment of the mind. Skills like math calculation and stuff can learn later.

SGuy1976

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

If you think you cannot cope. Send your child to the Chinese enrichment class at your RC. If your RC does not have it, email your mp. It might be a problem at mature estates with fewer kids.

Yes, there is Chinese privilege due to economies of scale. In young estates, there will probably be about 20-50 interested parents. They definitely can organise other languages but there will not be enough people to share the cost. There are six PSLE Indian languages.

If you are willing to send your child further away, there are the various CC based ones, CDAC, various clans and religious groups. These are the budget ones. If you have too much money, all heartland shopping malls are packed with options.

Sotooong

Master Member
Reaction score
Life in sg is v stressful. Parents will be compel to do a lot of things within their means of cos for the kids.

SGuy1976

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Life in sg is v stressful. Parents will be compel to do a lot of things within their means of cos for the kids.

In UK, you have to get into the right prep school.

In USA, parents move to an expensive neighbourhood to get into good schools.

Japan, China and the other 4 Asian Tigers are crazier.

Ponpon830

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Depends... Some primary 1 kids enter p1 without enough preparation.

Have seen p1 students will can't read a simple book. Can't do simple 1 digit math. School will have special program to pull out these weak students to coach separately, but after school is the important part, how to cement the teachings.

During my time, I also dnt hv much preparation. Then my mum is illiterate n my pri 1 teacher is an indian...:s13: Did ok w/o any tuition.

A couple of parents i kw r sending their pri 1 kids to tuition class. Personally i dnt feel its neccessary. Kid should have fun!!

miraxx

Banned
Reaction score
15-30 min of bedtime reading a day with your preschooler is NOT a hardship (indeed it's the best part of the day for most kids and parents) and this should stave off many problems in school.

Numeracy skills are taught on the go, eg taking the lift, at the supermarket, measuring out water, flour at home when cooking, in any natural situation when you encounter numbers.

Taking the lift can be fun. Dont have to go direct to 8th floor, ask you kid to press button for 2 floors lower, or 5 floors higher. This mimics the kind of math taught in primary school. How long does this take? Can a tutor do this? plus, kids love pressing lift buttons.

I find most sinkie parents are too damn lazy. Can keep taking kids to malls and and restaurants and waste so much time on useless enrichment courses but cant do basic stuff with their kids.

Music lessons are the only things that I might shell out money for.

#starfall website is good for phonetic reading.

Btw, I did lots of these activities with my nieces and nephews (my sisters were too busy!) and it gave me a great relationship with the kids.

I am a tutor but I tutor much older kids.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.