Improve iPhone 7 music quality

KoChi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anybody got any solution on the lightning cable?

seem like alot manufacturer haven come out with a portable DAC or AMP or am i wrong? :s22:

InnocentBlood

Reaction score
Fiio is a great choice if you're on a budget. if you have a bigger budget, i recommend the Oppo HA2-SE. another choice for about $300 will be the Audioquest Dragonfly which is also very popular. i've personally owned the FiiO E18 and Oppo HA-2. they are good value for money and when you are ready to upgrade, they have good resale value also.

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
U guys talking about amps? I've heard that using phones coupled with amps are still not as good as a dedicated DAP.

Previously I've also been using my iPhone as my DAP, but now looking at DAPs.

alamakazim

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
most of the time people will stop using the amp/dac... troublesome to use with phone

get a portable player

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
u hardcore mah :) I dont see alot of stackfi around liao

the players are damn powerful now

But most players with built-in amps are still not as good, with the exception of FiiO's X7 with amp module and Astell & Kern's AK380 AMP which is extremely costly.

alamakazim

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
But most players with built-in amps are still not as good, with the exception of FiiO's X7 with amp module and Astell & Kern's AK380 AMP which is extremely costly.

say already u hardcore mah...

people have different expectations

my point here is , eg

$500 dac/amp better than $500 portable player?

my weightage

$500 portable player win

dedicated player
dedicated power
no extra dangling cables needed
portability
audio quality should be on par with IEMS... +/- 10% this is subjective anyway

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
say already u hardcore mah...

people have different expectations

my point here is , eg

$500 dac/amp better than $500 portable player?

my weightage

$500 portable player win

dedicated player
dedicated power
no extra dangling cables needed
portability
audio quality should be on par with IEMS... +/- 10% this is subjective anyway

Depends on what kind of DAP too. If you pair an amp to your phone/DAP, the sound quality improves, though not dramatically, but more balanced.

dongo88

Reaction score
anybody got any solution on the lightning cable?

seem like alot manufacturer haven come out with a portable DAC or AMP or am i wrong? :s22:

U can easily get many accessories from taobao, just ensure dont buy those very cheap in price, otherwise the quality will be sucks… haha

xuan87

Reaction score
I thought iPhone 7 has no music quality at all, since it can only output digital signal to a dac lol. A bit like asking how to make a pair of Nike shoes run faster.

But joking aside, although I do not use an iPhone 7, there are three ways I will do to fully utilize its "audio capability".

1) Use wireless earphones, such as the Onkyo W800bt that I'm currently using.

2) Use a lightning cable with inbuilt dac and amp. I am a backer of two Capri cables (type c terminated though) and hope to get an Audeze iSine 10, to use as my iPhone 5S (it will be relegated to DAP status haha)

3) Connect it to a small portable dac+amp. Presently I can also use my Android phone with my Dragonfly black, can also be done with an iPhone 7.

KoChi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at lightning cable with built in DAC/AMP..

previously i had a dx50 but kinda troublesome bringing mobile phone + DAP

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I thought iPhone 7 has no music quality at all, since it can only output digital signal to a dac lol. A bit like asking how to make a pair of Nike shoes run faster.

But joking aside, although I do not use an iPhone 7, there are three ways I will do to fully utilize its "audio capability".

1) Use wireless earphones, such as the Onkyo W800bt that I'm currently using.

2) Use a lightning cable with inbuilt dac and amp. I am a backer of two Capri cables (type c terminated though) and hope to get an Audeze iSine 10, to use as my iPhone 5S (it will be relegated to DAP status haha)

3) Connect it to a small portable dac+amp. Presently I can also use my Android phone with my Dragonfly black, can also be done with an iPhone 7.

I don't use the phone alone and connect a standard pair of earphones to it so can't comment on it, but I pair it up with my CIEM and amp so sound quality is very good. But I also use a third party music player app so it just wraps things up.

Wireless earphones/earbuds are great and it's the best option for portability and ease, but being bluetooth, can't really get a lot out from it. If I'm lazy, I'll just lug out my Earins, but sound quality can never compare to a dedicated rig.

xuan87

Reaction score
I don't use the phone alone and connect a standard pair of earphones to it so can't comment on it, but I pair it up with my CIEM and amp so sound quality is very good. But I also use a third party music player app so it just wraps things up.

Wireless earphones/earbuds are great and it's the best option for portability and ease, but being bluetooth, can't really get a lot out from it. If I'm lazy, I'll just lug out my Earins, but sound quality can never compare to a dedicated rig.

Actually my Onkyo W88bt sounds good enough that I don't miss my regular IEMs like Dita Answer and Hum Pristine. It's quite amazing how far wireless/bluetooth earphones technology have come.

Just a small quibble but you meant you're using a dac+amp with your CIEM and iPhone 7 right? Which brand and model?

Im using UM iem already. so don't need to get another headphone. :D

You should look into an aftermarket cable with a built in dac+amp for smallest form factor.

Another way is to use it with something like the Dragonfly.

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually my Onkyo W88bt sounds good enough that I don't miss my regular IEMs like Dita Answer and Hum Pristine. It's quite amazing how far wireless/bluetooth earphones technology have come.

Just a small quibble but you meant you're using a dac+amp with your CIEM and iPhone 7 right? Which brand and model?

Still no fight with my CIEM though, I'm using my 6s Plus for music now, with my reshelled TF10 with UM and one added mid driver, amp is RSA Predator.

xuan87

Reaction score
Still no fight with my CIEM though, I'm using my 6s Plus for music now, with my reshelled TF10 with UM and one added mid driver, amp is RSA Predator.

Ahh ok, ya the RSA Predator is a dac+amp. This morning I'm using the Audioquest Dragonfly Black with RE00 with my Mi5 as my source. Definitely sounds better than the W800bt but with the unit hanging out of my pocket, I keep worrying it'll drop onto the floor.

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ahh ok, ya the RSA Predator is a dac+amp. This morning I'm using the Audioquest Dragonfly Black with RE00 with my Mi5 as my source. Definitely sounds better than the W800bt but with the unit hanging out of my pocket, I keep worrying it'll drop onto the floor.

You might want to carry it in a small sling bag instead, so minimise the risk of dropping it. I always do that with my bag in front of me so it's easier to reach.

I still think phones in general, the built-in audio chip still isn't as good as a DAP, so still cracking my head if I should get the FiiO X1ii.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.