Hokkaido Daisetsuzan

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi All
I am planning for a Autumn 2017 trip to Hokkaido. We like trekking, so shortlisting some trekking trails. One of the interesting one I saw is the Daisetsuzan trails. Anyone been there before? I am looking at a day trip only with Sapporo as base. Judging from the trains schedule, earliest we can reach Asahikawa is only at 0800, and that timing we will miss the first bus to Asahidake at 0750. The next bus is at 1010, reaching the Asahidake Onsen at 1135. As we wanted to summit the highest Hokkaido mt ie Mt Asahi, that itself will take us 2hrs one way. Are we kind of tight? Not forgetting we need to catch the last bus (1800) back to Asahikawa.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6776.html

Or we should base in Asahikawa and after Mt Asahi hike, we should continue to do a Biei and Furano tour the next day?

Hokkaido pro please advise.:D

deodorant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
go to biei and furano
then evening end the day at sounkyou onsen
next morning take the cable car up to mt kurodake and hike all the way to mt asahidake
then either overnight at asahidake onsen or go back to sapporo

[edit] eh just saw that you are going in autumn. note that the higher reaches of the mountains will already be snow/ice/slush. so you need to be properly prepared/geared to hike in those temperatures/conditions.

Example, when i went during autumn last year, kurodake 5th station ski lift already got patches of snow. 7th station onwards already full snow like this

hokkaido127.jpg

Last edited:

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks bro! Ok, we are actually looking at end Sep reaching there, like the last week of Sep. The aim is more Koyo than snow.

can we actually traverse from Kurodake to Asahidake in a day? I saw japan-guide said need 2 days. If can be done in one day, we will be really interested and I adopt your rout :D

and did you summited both mountains?

Last edited:

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
don't do it from Sapporo, it's too far.

Also Kurodake to Asahidake is like a 4-5hrs hike from what I read.

if u want to get to highest Asahidake peak, would be more manageable to do it from Asahidake Ropeway (instead of Kurodake Ropeway at Sounkyo).
From Asahidake ropeway station, you can see the peak. I also feel the view is better than Kurodake. I only walked 1/3 the way in May in snow/slush. If there is snow, not sure how accessible it is.

Last edited:

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
don't do it from Sapporo, it's too far.

Also Kurodake to Asahidake is like a 4-5hrs hike from what I read.

if u want to get to highest Asahidake peak, would be more manageable to do it from Asahidake Ropeway (instead of Kurodake Ropeway at Sounkyo).
From Asahidake ropeway station, you can see the peak. I also feel the view is better than Kurodake. I only walked 1/3 the way in May in snow/slush. If there is snow, not sure how accessible it is.

yes, my initial idea is to ride the ropeway to the ropeway stn at Asahidake then hike to the peak. But worried about the whole thing will take too long and thus missing our return bus back to asahikawa stn.

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yes, my initial idea is to ride the ropeway to the ropeway stn at Asahidake then hike to the peak. But worried about the whole thing will take too long and thus missing our return bus back to asahikawa stn.

self drive ?

I m also planning a trip in Sep.

there are some resorts near the Asahidake ropeway station (Bear or Deer Resort or something like that).

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
self drive ?

I m also planning a trip in Sep.

there are some resorts near the Asahidake ropeway station (Bear or Deer Resort or something like that).

yes, will consider renting a car if we have enough to share the rental cost.

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i have overlooked one main consideration. China Oct golden week! I need to replan liao:(

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i have overlooked one main consideration. China Oct golden week! I need to replan liao:(

Hokkaido so big ... it depends which part

touristy parts would have more people

I also thinking last week Sep & early Oct ... best of both worlds, can see snow & autumn leaves ... hopefully

Last edited:

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Since its 6 of us, I am now planning a 7 days self drive. Using a 7days Hokkaido Rail Pass as reference 24000x6=144k where a quick search on Tocoo for a Nissan Serena that seas for 8 is only about 80k(before misc like ETC, petrol, ins etc). is self driving for 6 a no brainer or I have missed out something?

Self drive and Hokkaido pro, please advise:)

saffronsatire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Since its 6 of us, I am now planning a 7 days self drive. Using a 7days Hokkaido Rail Pass as reference 24000x6=144k where a quick search on Tocoo for a Nissan Serena that seas for 8 is only about 80k(before misc like ETC, petrol, ins etc). is self driving for 6 a no brainer or I have missed out something?

Self drive and Hokkaido pro, please advise:)
Never do before but wonder if luggage space would be an issue, unless your luggages aren't too big and it won't be very comfortable since got 6 pax. Some ppl i know prefer to do two cars instead.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI 4A using GAGT

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Never do before but wonder if luggage space would be an issue, unless your luggages aren't too big and it won't be very comfortable since got 6 pax. Some ppl i know prefer to do two cars instead.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI 4A using GAGT

ah yes, lugagges:o

Will consider the van now. even at same cost or slightly higher than Rail Pass, driving still a better option, considering the time and freedom we save and enjoy.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.