Expected salary of Security Professional

Xiaosa1

Reaction score
11 years had passed since I started this thread. Ask me anything regarding information/cyber security

blacksynovial

Reaction score
What certifications should I get in order to enter on cyber security related jobs?

This is my profile summary:

1. I am a Nurse.
2. I dont have IT related education.
3. I am proficient in computer hardware and software troubleshooting because it is my hobby.
4. I am proficient in Python and Java.
5. I am a foreigner.
6. I am 31 years old.

I hope you can advice me.

Thank you.

vinluv

Reaction score
What certifications should I get in order to enter on cyber security related jobs?

This is my profile summary:

1. I am a Nurse.
2. I dont have IT related education.
3. I am proficient in computer hardware and software troubleshooting because it is my hobby.
4. I am proficient in Python and Java.
5. I am a foreigner.
6. I am 31 years old.

I hope you can advice me.

Thank you.

Good in python?
Can do security engineer jobs but got to start from the bottom of the barrel.

Xiaosa1

Reaction score
so where to earn the most $$$ :o

Swift hacker. Provided you can cover your tracks. Transfer 1bn to yourself. Now is still not too late while banks and FIs are still remediating their systems and tightening their controls.

Xiaosa1

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea how much can a security analyst with 4years experience command with the below cert?

1) GIAC Certified Incident Handler (GCIH)
2) NICF- ITIL® Foundation Certificate in IT Service Management

GCIH and ITIL are 2 totally different domains. GCIH teaches on Security Incident response (NIST 61) IR Framework . Preparation, Identification, Containment, Eradication, Recovery and Lessons Learned.

ITIL teaches on Incident/Problem management.

Just because both involves the word "Incident" Doesnt mean they are the same.

Xiaosa1

Reaction score
I agree, beside your experience, depends on the role you took up. The job with higher responsibilities such as customer facing or require long/odd hours will command more pay.

Sorry to burst your bubble. In this industry, Certs and Experience goes hand in hand. Do you think customers will trust you if you proclaim to have vast experiences with no certs to prove.

Also long/odd hours aka shift gets more pay to compensate for your sacrifice eg night shift. Does nt mean you are better or have more experiences. You may jolly well get a pay cut if you switch to a normal timing job.

Lastexile

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Swift hacker. Provided you can cover your tracks. Transfer 1bn to yourself. Now is still not too late while banks and FIs are still remediating their systems and tightening their controls.

Need to get acquainted with underground people/economy first. Definitely not a single person's job. Any contacts for recommendation? Need some people to be money mules too.

minamikaze

Reaction score
What's a realistic salary range for a security architect (with mainly solutioning and presales responsibilities) at a big SI with about 6 years experience?

tyr105

Reaction score
Hi All,

need advice on switching career to cyber security career.

My background.
35 years old NTU mechanical engineer graduate
currently working in MNC for 10 years in procurement/sub-contracting

i have considered a few paths.
do provide your opinions.

1) carry on working in MNC and farm while taking up NUS part-time bachelor of technology (cyber security); can retain same salary

2) request to switch to sister company who manages a data centre to be network/system engineer (read from quora that it is good to have network/systems experience; can retain same salary

3) quit and take up ccna and be a junior network/systems engineer in a new company; have to take pay cut.

thanks!

Dreamscent

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a private diploma grad(Computer Forensics), taking a degree part time(also forensics). Currently hold CEH, and will be taking CCNA next month or so, then whacking certs here and there not for recognition, but just to boost my knowledge, such as PAN ACE, eJPT etc. Currently looking to enter the industry. What sort of pay sould I be looking at?

I'm having issues getting into the CSAT programmes, and also am not able to find entry level jobs who are willing to take no experience/degree. Maybe I'm not looking at the right places? I'm suspecting that I've been putting too high an amount on the 'expected salary'(hovering mid 2k ish), and possibly having a terribly unimpressive CV.

ey3pod

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a private diploma grad(Computer Forensics), taking a degree part time(also forensics). Currently hold CEH, and will be taking CCNA next month or so, then whacking certs here and there not for recognition, but just to boost my knowledge, such as PAN ACE, eJPT etc. Currently looking to enter the industry. What sort of pay sould I be looking at?

I'm having issues getting into the CSAT programmes, and also am not able to find entry level jobs who are willing to take no experience/degree. Maybe I'm not looking at the right places? I'm suspecting that I've been putting too high an amount on the 'expected salary'(hovering mid 2k ish), and possibly having a terribly unimpressive CV.

I feel your pain, when I first graduated out of school, it was a bit tough finding work, but it will get better, stay strong. Hopefully you have found a job already since it's been a few months you last posted.

In case you are still trying to get started in Information Security roles, have you check out LinkedIn and Jobs Bank for opening? Did you have any luck with getting interviews after applying?

There's a few Information Security / Network Security meet-up events and associations in Singapore, if you have time, you can check them out. A quick google search on Information Security meetups showed that there's a event on meetup.com in late July for Security enthusiasts. It will help a bit if you attend these events or join affilate groups to network because you get to meet people who work in the industry and can offer you advice.

If you want to find something to do and get experience, perhaps you can explore non-profit organizations that are looking for IT help. They should be less strict with job requirements than a typical corporation.

2-3k seems fair for entry level Information Security positions, but don't forget to check out what is the company benefits and bonus. Some companies might do contract to full-time positions, which does not provide any of that.

If you do not have a LinkedIn account, try to create one even if you don't have work experience. It will be good to have a professional bio online so that recruiters looking for fresh graduate candidates can reach out to you.

Good luck!

datedoctor

Reaction score
Hi there. My younger sibling has been in physical security line for 3 years, as operations executive ( diploma in security management ). He is looking to upgrade and go into cyber security as a form of future proofing.

How and where should he start? A basic IT diploma before going into any of the cyber security part time diplomas a must?

PaulQuay

Reaction score
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

If you have any friends who are interested to work in the Cyber Security field, can you send me a message ?

Looking for people who are keen or able to setup:
(1) firewalls, or/and
(2) end-point security, or/and
(3) 2FA, or/and
(4) SIEM, or/and
(5) Privileged Access Management

Have a good weekend !

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.