IBM ThinkPad Users' Group

legalpad

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been asked before, but I just got here and haven't had time to read the 300 page thread.

ThinkPad power adapters have two parts: 1) the brick with a cord that plugs into the machine; 2) the cord that plugs into the brick and into the wall socket. What is part number two called?

I ask because I have many USA-style of part #2, but I would like to buy Singapore style. Sim Lim, eBay, etc -- anywhere is okay, but I don't know what to type into the buy-stuff machine.

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I apologize if this has been asked before, but I just got here and haven't had time to read the 300 page thread.

ThinkPad power adapters have two parts: 1) the brick with a cord that plugs into the machine; 2) the cord that plugs into the brick and into the wall socket. What is part number two called?

I ask because I have many USA-style of part #2, but I would like to buy Singapore style. Sim Lim, eBay, etc -- anywhere is okay, but I don't know what to type into the buy-stuff machine.

but which laptop are using? since not all are using the same think.

legalpad

Reaction score
not sure which one u mean but some small search and these are what i have, hope its what u want.

ThinkPad 170W AC Adapter

Part No. : 4X20E50574

ThinkPad 90W AC Adapter

Part No. : 0B46994
Not quite what I needed, but that page put me on the right path. I won't detail the entire click/search journey, but what I ended up finding was figure 8 (2-pin) UK cable.

Is that a decent enough price, or should I head to Sim Lim? The shipping delay doesn't bother me -- my machines work fine, I'm just having OCD about the plugs.

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not quite what I needed, but that page put me on the right path. I won't detail the entire click/search journey, but what I ended up finding was figure 8 (2-pin) UK cable.

Is that a decent enough price, or should I head to Sim Lim? The shipping delay doesn't bother me -- my machines work fine, I'm just having OCD about the plugs.

haha im not sure man. but i rather u bring down to sls to check and buy on the spot if it works.

DarthGW

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
any good deals for older x series like x230 to x250?

Last edited:

legalpad

Reaction score
any good deals for older x series like x230 to x250?

I've found Le Infotech to have the lowest prices of the three used business-class laptops stores I've checked, but that was buying an X201. (The others I visited were Laptop House and Gadgets Galaxy.) I bought the X201 (4gb RAM) from Laptop House for 200sg + 80sg for a 120gb SSD. I have the feeling that price was negotiable but I did not negotiate b/c nerdfear. The same machine (w/ SSD) was at Le Infotech for 237sg.

I don't know how the pricing is for the newer models; the listings on qoo10 and gumtree mostly don't go newer than X220, but I know the newer machines are in stock.

If you're not finding what you need here, check ebay.com (not .com.sg) and although there's shipping (about 45sg), I don't think there are import fees; computers are not on Singapore's List of Dutiable Goods.

Prices on a quick check of eBay US: 299sg X230 6gb RAM 180gb SSD; 458sg X240 8gb RAM 256gb SSD; 858sg X250 8gb RAM 128gb SSD. (All have Core i5 of appropriate generation.)

In the US, this surplus of business laptops comes from businesses dumping their machines every three years for tax purposes, hence the massive price jump from 40-series to 50-series -- the 50-series hasn't been around long enough to dump a load of used machines into the market.

What I'll do if I buy another machine here is print an eBay listing of the machine I want, walk into an SG retailer, and point at the listing to say, "This is how much I want it to cost."

DarthGW

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
im getting a second hand local set x240 which still has factory warranty.
only problem is i dont really like the 1366*768 reso. are there any shops that i can go to get the screen changed?

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
im getting a second hand local set x240 which still has factory warranty.
only problem is i dont really like the 1366*768 reso. are there any shops that i can go to get the screen changed?

but if get the screen changed, den u wouldn't have that factory warranty lol :s8:

hengster36

Reaction score
Any T460s users? Thinking of getting it as a more affordable X1C

I had the 2015 x1 carbon with 2560x1440 non-touch display and t460s with full HD non-touch. Both cases are ips of cos and 14.1", but the higher resolution x1 does not scale well in Windows and somewhat flickering due to PWM for battery life. T460s has more ports including full size flush SD card slot and LAN port, though shortfall is smaller battery and slightly heavier. Keyboard travel is better on the t460s. I sold the x1 carbon and happy owner of the t460s, but the choice is yours if you prefer higher resolution, longer battery life, lighter weight and dearer price.

SeanPC

Reaction score
may i know how long is the warranty for the mouse and the service center? mine cannot turn off. thanks.

astute80

Reaction score
X1 Yoga fried

I am very upset with Lenovo aftersales service. I bought a 2016 X1 Yoga with upgraded specs. Last week my wife spilled about 20ml of water on the keyboard and I immediately turn off the laptop and let it dry. After I sent it in for repairs, I got a quotation of $2255 for replacing the keyboard and motherboard and worst of all, a 12 week wait for the parts to arrive. Lenovo boosted about their keyboard able to withstand 500ml of water and I think they should remove their claim. Also, why should people buy a premium model when there are no parts available for repairs.

shawniiex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am very upset with Lenovo aftersales service. I bought a 2016 X1 Yoga with upgraded specs. Last week my wife spilled about 20ml of water on the keyboard and I immediately turn off the laptop and let it dry. After I sent it in for repairs, I got a quotation of $2255 for replacing the keyboard and motherboard and worst of all, a 12 week wait for the parts to arrive. Lenovo boosted about their keyboard able to withstand 500ml of water and I think they should remove their claim. Also, why should people buy a premium model when there are no parts available for repairs.

so go and use that 500ml of water claim and fight for your right.
if you're able to type this massive paragraph on a forum.
i'm sure you can speak up to the highest management at the service centre.

fluke48

Reaction score

This is worrying...I have a X1 Yoga too. Had to wait months before the have stocks to sell in Singapore. They should support their advertising claims and offer 1-1 replacement.

neucomer

Reaction score
Anybody has any trick to power up their (dead?) Lenono laptop? :(

I bot this L460 just 2 wks ago.
Last nite I was installing Win7. Suddenly the laptop shut down on its own. I think the battery went flat cos I was running it solely on battery.

After that the laptop couldn't power up anymore, as in no reaction after pressing the power button.

I googled online and tried the 30-sec trick but it doesn't work.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.