Anyone entered SMU with a shitty GPA before?

Requital

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm a TP Business student with a CGPA of 2.65. I know it's shitty as hell but I'll have to make do with what i have currently.

I have a decent CCA record having won medals at major sports events as well as POL-ITES. Sadly, I do not hold any leadership roles. I also have 2 strong testimonial from 2 reputable international company, with one even stating that I'm being considered for a store manager position despite my young age.

I applied into SMU's business management, what are my chances of getting in via the discretionary route? If theres a chance, what would you recommend me to do in order to prepare myself for?

All constructive replies will be appreciated and thanks for you help in advance!

colonel701

Reaction score
You might want to try out SIM instead. No offense to you, but i feel that you should try your best in this application but expect the worse. It's VERY hard for your GPA to get admitted. Even discretionary admissions have a certain cut-off. Say, for example - 3.2(Hypothetically speaking). Another thing you can do is to pick up an A-levels.

Requital

Reaction score
You might want to try out SIM instead. No offense to you, but i feel that you should try your best in this application but expect the worse. It's VERY hard for your GPA to get admitted. Even discretionary admissions have a certain cut-off. Say, for example - 3.2(Hypothetically speaking). Another thing you can do is to pick up an A-levels.

I thought of taking up the SIM sports scholarship but SMU will still and always be my first choice.

All I can do now is mentally prepare myself :( Thanks for your valuable input!

Reaction score
I thought of taking up the SIM sports scholarship but SMU will still and always be my first choice.

All I can do now is mentally prepare myself :( Thanks for your valuable input!

Short answer is no.
Longer answer, Your application goes immediately into the delete bin if there is one.
Best answer I have been repeating over and over on all the threads is to have a back up plan for your back up plan and your back up plan does not necessarily involve SIM. They are a pretty shitty choice even as a back up for a back up if you ask me.
Want to know why? Google and do your own reading up and solve this most important problem. Forget about learning in school. THIS is where the real learning starts; where you really crack your brains to dig yourself out of a **** hole you voluntarily jumped into years ago by drinking the koolaid and subscribing to the Singapore education system that saves no one in the first place.

Study hard, get a good job no longer applies. This is not 1965 anymore. :eek:

Last edited:

Pig_Oliver

Reaction score
Fresh graduated from Poly with GPA 3.7+. SIS is the first choice for my SMU application and had attended two interviews (The second interview was for those who didn't do well in first interview) Until now, my application status for SMU is 'Your application is currently being processed. We will inform you the application outcome before the due date.' Don't know how high the chance is for me to get an offer from SMU

Last edited:

Zechst

Reaction score
Trying to enter with a GPA of 3.55 to Business course. Wonder what's the chances

Kodaliner

Reaction score
Hey, like everyone else, I would like to know if I stand a chance in this year's ultra competitive rat race to Uni.

My 'A' lvl is bad and standing at 62.5 RP (Combi: PCMG)
Currently setting my eyes on SMU SIS after having a tryout at an online start-up during NS (ORD last Dec). Trying my shot at SMU/NUS/NTU Discretionary Admission with several leadership and volunteering experience throughout secondary, JC and NS.

In sec school, I was merely in an exco committee (Head of Discipline), chosen as an ambassador for SG Youth Olympic Games School Twinning Partnership and 182.5 CIP hours.

In JC, I was also in the exco committee in my rockslimbing CCA and clinched an overall 'A' Div Boys Championship (Does that count?) in National School Rock Climbing Competition during JC1. I was also selected to organise my JC Orientation camp back in 2014.

During NS, I was a spec and have taken up volunteering outside at an organisation for kids with chronic illness. I was the Deputy Director for Programmes Portfolio there, planning camps and organising activities for kids there in 2016. This year, I've switched to Marketing and Communications in the same organisation.

However, due to the online business that my friend and i tried out, I wish to study at SMU SIS to further my interest.

Do you guys think I actually stand a chance for SMU DA?
(I applied for SMU on 27th Jan this year and merely received the seminar invitation 1-2 weeks after applying)

Oh, my 'O' lvl stands at raw 14 points with English B3 and Add/E Math at A2.

JPDenim

Reaction score
Trying to enter with a GPA of 3.55 to Business course. Wonder what's the chances
Tough. Most of my business coursemates who were from poly have GPA of at least 3.8. But as they say, there is no harm in trying. I think your GPA can still warrant you a spot in local universities. What some people do is try to enter a lower GPA req course and jump course after a stellar performance in their first year (at least deans list). Hope this helps!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.