Recommend a tablet for taking notes during lectures at university

rookie121

Reaction score
hi All,

I want something for taking notes during lectures at university.

Any suggestions on what hardware and software ?

Looking for something slim & light, so you can hold it in your arms.

What tablets or laptop ?
What stylus ?
Which apps for note taking that will work with a stylus ?

Please advise.

Thank you

rookie121

Reaction score
Evernote ... Snote ?? There's alot of Note apps out there...

Yes, I know there are a lot of note apps.

Please share your experience using note app on a tablet or laptop for taking notes during lectures in school.

What tablet or laptop & stylus & notes app did you use?

Thanks

soupgoblin

Reaction score
Whats you budget? I use a surface pro with OneNote. Print lecture slides/notes to onenote, and just write over it. I dont print notes anymore haha. Best thing about onenote is that it syncs well, I can access my notes from my phone, my desktop at home etc easily.
Plus you can sort it into different books, each book a different section, each section a different page. Very easy to use after a while.

rookie121

Reaction score
Whats you budget? I use a surface pro with OneNote. Print lecture slides/notes to onenote, and just write over it. I dont print notes anymore haha. Best thing about onenote is that it syncs well, I can access my notes from my phone, my desktop at home etc easily.
Plus you can sort it into different books, each book a different section, each section a different page. Very easy to use after a while.

Thank you for your feedback.

No budget.

I am looking for ease of use & as natural as using a paper pen.

Would be a bonus if it can make handwriting look better.

duhduhduh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your feedback.

No budget.

I am looking for ease of use & as natural as using a paper pen.

Would be a bonus if it can make handwriting look better.

Honestly, he is right. Surface 3/4 is really the best uni tool. And with the powerful onenote, it really makes it easy to write your notes, highlight or underline easily. And this can only be found in windows onenote, i dont think iPad or samsung offers a good enough app to do that. Evernote can do that, but you gotta pay additional premium for it.

As for stylus I cannot comment about it, but I dont think iPad or Samsung is any better.

If budget is a concern, go Surface 3. If not, just print your notes out and go the traditional way

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
note 2014
k5SSXxwh.jpg

used when i was in uni, Bluetooth keyboard+ stylus on evernote

rookie121

Reaction score
Honestly, he is right. Surface 3/4 is really the best uni tool. And with the powerful onenote, it really makes it easy to write your notes, highlight or underline easily. And this can only be found in windows onenote, i dont think iPad or samsung offers a good enough app to do that. Evernote can do that, but you gotta pay additional premium for it.

As for stylus I cannot comment about it, but I dont think iPad or Samsung is any better.

If budget is a concern, go Surface 3. If not, just print your notes out and go the traditional way

note 2014
k5SSXxwh.jpg

used when i was in uni, Bluetooth keyboard+ stylus on evernote

Thank you for your inputs, much appreciated.

Budget not a concern.

Noted the positive feedback on Surface pro 3/4 & onenote combination.

Can provide more details on the stylus ? Any specific brand or model ?

Want a stylus that feel balance when holding it. Not too light.

sgmem88

Reaction score
IOS and Android also has OneNote...
just curious...any different with the version in Surface?

soupgoblin

Reaction score
I think nowadays the mobile version has been well updated, but I still use it for just viewing my notes so I'm not too sure about that.

Another plus of onenote I find useful is recording lectures with the built in cam or with the voice recorder. One thing onenote can do is you can search through your recordings (onenote can recognize), it can do so if you insert an audio file or what not too. You should go find out mroe about onenote, it kind of beats out all other note taking app I've ever tried.

Tbh if budget not an issue I'll go with surface pro. The pen feels quite realistic and can write well. You have to go and try it out yourself. I got used to the pen after a few days or so.

stylux

Master Member
Reaction score
im along the track with TS for uni use , just wanna check , if doing some C & FPGA programming with a surface pro 4 i7 16gb version good enough ?

rookie121

Reaction score
I think nowadays the mobile version has been well updated, but I still use it for just viewing my notes so I'm not too sure about that.

Another plus of onenote I find useful is recording lectures with the built in cam or with the voice recorder. One thing onenote can do is you can search through your recordings (onenote can recognize), it can do so if you insert an audio file or what not too. You should go find out mroe about onenote, it kind of beats out all other note taking app I've ever tried.

Tbh if budget not an issue I'll go with surface pro. The pen feels quite realistic and can write well. You have to go and try it out yourself. I got used to the pen after a few days or so.

One note is the best..it sync with my pc..phone and tablet..

Ok, noted, the positive feedback about "surface Pro + onenote"
Thank you

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.