Bad A level results..

Reaction score
You can always look at Ngee Ann Adelaide, one of the better quality ones. As for your definition of recognition, if the entire of Australia knows that Uni, it's quite difficult to say why it should not be the case where you have people going for the more popular and shorter duration courses offered by other Australian universities that..IMO is not as good.

uniwatch

Reaction score
Think this is where you are wrong liao. That 1 year in all honesty might translate to 1 year more salary if you go private and start working earlier. And although I did mention in other threads that local and private really not much difference, only initial opportunities - but with that being said, education will still take the next 2 - 4 years at the very least. 1 year is not exactly a long nor a short time. If Coco wishes to retake A levels why not? Personally going deferring NS to retake isnt a bad thing. No shame in that. My fren and I personally did that and as long as you put in enough effort, you will still make the cut in the end. My fren did very much better and went on to score ABB/AA for his retake and is currently studying in SMU Accountancy while I still play here and there and only managed a BCC/BB but still good enough to enter NUS.

All in all, I'll say just go for it. 1 year for the next 3-4 years and potentially affecting the next 20-30 years of career is a worthwhile price to pay.

If you believe that you can do better go for it. You must be prepared to work harder than back when you were in JC. Like both my friend and I defer NS and went back to JC to retake - He planned his time and managed a ABB/AA for his retake while I only managed a BCC/BB. Both of our initial A level results are something like CEE/CE so there is still hope. We even finished out BMT first before re-entering JC so we only started re-studying from 9 April 2012 - Oct 2012 before retaking. So just go for it!

And as Magickiller19 pointed out, got a few people went the Sec 5 route to poly to NS to local uni. I even know 2 people personally who went Sec 5 - ITE - Poly - NS and finally Uni route. They now like already 26 but still only year 1 sem 2 in uni xD so dont give up haha

Hi, I salute people like you and your friend who take that positive action to achieve what you want. I am happy to hear both if you have succeeded in your attempts to improve your grades. Keep up this kind of attitude in life and you will go far. All the best.

BTW, my son with CCC/B rejected by the 3 big uni last year. He not qualified for NTU engineering. This yr he applied unisim and is currently on reserved list. Hope he can be accepted.

Jakeyman

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Its kinda late but its making me anxious so i have to ask this...
I received my A level results last month and it wasnt good at all,
DDC/B, GP-B H1geog-E PW-A no mtl.
So far, i've applied for ntu civil engineering and sutd and some other courses to fill in the blanks.
I need some light on this topic cause im not sure if there is any chance left for me. Im Korean, studying in Singapore with a student pass. So that lowers my chances for local uni as well...
Private uni was rejected by my parents so im really out of options...
Really need some help guys :(
P.s. Im studying A levels again as a private candidate until i get any calls from uni

YYS1995

Reaction score
The harsh truth would be if you are keen on local unis, you are out of options.
With that kind of results being a local or not would not matter, you have to retake your As. Not being a local male, even if you had to retake still faster than your peers who are currently serving so... (not that bad??) But seriously. Just study hard and retake it. No other choice here.

Coconeedle96

Reaction score
Hi! By any chance are u still retaking A levels?
Oops, ps didn't see your reply haha. I didn't even rmb posting on this forum..hais. Time really flies.

Anyway I did retake my 'A' levels, but i screwed up one subject-Econs. got CCU/S GP A.
Did improve in some subjects, but still got a U, so no use. Wasted.

Sooo...all I got now is my first year's 'A' Level results as well as 2 years working experience.

I kinda know that I don't really have much hope for local uni anymore, so I think I will probably go SIM next year, if my surgery goes well.

Life's a constant struggle, there's no room for regrets coz the opportunity only comes once :'(

Servitude

Reaction score
You can check the respective websites of the local Unis under 'Indicative Grade Point Profile' to check on the cut-off. Most of Unis cut-off at around ABB for H2 subjects which is at least 78 points. The Opens House Events are this weekend and next, you can go down and confirm with them at the Talks.

You can try the private Schools. For example, the University of Adelaide which is in the Group of Eight Universities and ranked in the top 1% globally, the cut-off for Bacelor of Comerce is around 3Cs for H2 subjects.You can check with Ngee Ann-Adelaide Education Centre, its local campus to find out more.

Not accepting new applicants

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...-centre-to-close-after-joint-venture-winds-up

Servitude

Reaction score
Oops, ps didn't see your reply haha. I didn't even rmb posting on this forum..hais. Time really flies.

Anyway I did retake my 'A' levels, but i screwed up one subject-Econs. got CCU/S GP A.
Did improve in some subjects, but still got a U, so no use. Wasted.

Sooo...all I got now is my first year's 'A' Level results as well as 2 years working experience.

I kinda know that I don't really have much hope for local uni anymore, so I think I will probably go SIM next year, if my surgery goes well.

Life's a constant struggle, there's no room for regrets coz the opportunity only comes once :'(

Why not consider SUSS?

flatron13

Banned
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm getting my A level results this coming Friday and I kinda foresee that I won't be getting the results that would get me into local university. Therefore I'm exploring the options I have. ..

I'm enlisting in April so I'm thinking if it's actually possible for me if I perform well in bmt and get into Officer school, and have a relatively good record during my 2 years in Army.. would they offer me a scholarship or sponsorship to study in local or overseas university?

Secondly I'm not sure if SIT would even accept me due to its limited places and they would probably choose diplomas holder over an A lvl with poor results..

Also do tell me if I have any other options.. like any overseas university would accept me?

Looking forward for your replies..
Thank you in advance :)

Why not just retake the A levels? My friend done badly for his A levels, and he went to retake it. End up he scored 3As

Coconeedle96

Reaction score
Admission requirement for SUSS (FT) courses:

* Min 3 passes in H2 & pass in GP (same sitting)
* Min 1 pass in H1
* Pass in PW
I did pass everything in my first sitting, but rp only 61.25.. retook, improved but failed econs. So technically eligible for SUSS, but not sure can get in with 61.25 or not. Hais.

Coconeedle96

Reaction score
Advice?

Anyway does anyone have any idea if going to NAFA is advisable?

I'm quite interested in Exhibition & Interior Design diploma at NAFA, followed by 1 yr top up degree at NAFA by University of Central Lancashire (UCLAN). Does anyone know if this path is worth taking? I'm interested but honestly don't know if i'm suitable or not. Design is completely new to me other than the fact I work at a design firm but in Marketing..

Or would a degree from SUSS/SIMGE RMIT be better?

I am seriously considering my career options since I'm deaf. Not sure if specialized field like designer would be better, or just should take a degree course from SIM like marketing etc..

Currently I'm feeling quite tormented coz my friends are all already graduating, and I haven't even started uni so the idea of taking a diploma instead of degree sort of really scares me...

Starbarks!

Reaction score
I did pass everything in my first sitting, but rp only 61.25.. retook, improved but failed econs. So technically eligible for SUSS, but not sure can get in with 61.25 or not. Hais.

U may wanna give it a try since there are 4 choices for FT courses BUT don't put in too much hope on those popular courses..

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1) SIM GE is a private school & their Diploma will not be recognized by organizations from public sector. NAFA is a publicly-funded arts institution but even organizations in public sector may not recognized it.

2) 1 year top degree are not really recognized by most employer in Singapore.

3a) In Interior Design industry, the most importance job scope is to bring in sale. In Exhibition industry, most importance job scope is project management & able to work at night, weekend & public holiday.

3b) Up to now, most organisations in these industries do not needs a qualification major in Exhibition & Interior Design.

3c) These jobs may require to use phone call & meet up with customer, contractor & etc which make job scope tough for who are deaf. For example, those who use hearing aid needs to switch on loudspeaker to hear & it maybe inappropriate at that point of time such as on-going event.

4) I would recommend you to take other courses in recognized schools like SUSS that suitable for your condition. I do not recommend marketing but I have ever see before degree graduate (Can't remember the major but it should not be marketing) who use hearing aid is working as a marketing assistant earning $2K+.

Anyway does anyone have any idea if going to NAFA is advisable?

I'm quite interested in Exhibition & Interior Design diploma at NAFA, followed by 1 yr top up degree at NAFA by University of Central Lancashire (UCLAN). Does anyone know if this path is worth taking? I'm interested but honestly don't know if i'm suitable or not. Design is completely new to me other than the fact I work at a design firm but in Marketing..

Or would a degree from SUSS/SIMGE RMIT be better?

I am seriously considering my career options since I'm deaf. Not sure if specialized field like designer would be better, or just should take a degree course from SIM like marketing etc..

Currently I'm feeling quite tormented coz my friends are all already graduating, and I haven't even started uni so the idea of taking a diploma instead of degree sort of really scares me...

rainbowbanana98

Reaction score
hi guys just came bck from suss open hse and the person there recommended taking SAT to supplement my results. I have mostly Cs and Bs, a few achievements and leadership roles but my h2 maths is S. so do any of you have more insights on what SAT really is and how it works? do you think it wld be worth it if i do take the SAT base on my situation

Occifer&Gentleman

Reaction score
hi guys just came bck from suss open hse and the person there recommended taking SAT to supplement my results. I have mostly Cs and Bs, a few achievements and leadership roles but my h2 maths is S. so do any of you have more insights on what SAT really is and how it works? do you think it wld be worth it if i do take the SAT base on my situation

Check the next few SAT exam dates for SG, prepare to take a couple of times or more as you need some time to get used to the time pressure and sectional format of the exam (english and math)

Cheers

rainbowbanana98

Reaction score
Check the next few SAT exam dates for SG, prepare to take a couple of times or more as you need some time to get used to the time pressure and sectional format of the exam (english and math)

Cheers

so i only need to take two subjects for SAT? if i do attempt it multiple times, im afraid of not being to meet the datelines for admission/ interviews for acceptance..

Occifer&Gentleman

Reaction score
so i only need to take two subjects for SAT? if i do attempt it multiple times, im afraid of not being to meet the datelines for admission/ interviews for acceptance..

No no, it's one test (previously known as the SAT Reasoning Test), not the SAT Subject Tests.

For NTU/NUS/SMU, yes, the admissions would have closed before you can take and receive the results, though I'm unsure about SUSS admissions timelines

*FYI the test is conducted roughly every 6 weeks

Last edited:

rainbowbanana98

Reaction score
No no, it's one test (previously known as the SAT Reasoning Test), not the SAT Subject Tests.

For NTU/NUS/SMU, yes, the admissions would have closed before you can take and receive the results, though I'm unsure about SUSS admissions timelines

*FYI the test is conducted roughly every 6 weeks

ohh ok thank you so much!!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.