Went back to using HDD from SSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yueming

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
play football manager with 52 leagues open.

then see if faster on ssd or same speed.

hlots123

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Added info: HDD (1st partition) Contains ONLY boot OS/ system/program/apps/etc
install programs/files/etc and No video/photo files.
All big video/ photo are in 2nd partition-HDD(DATA area).
FYI: if select Custom scan, it will include all files in that drive to be scanned
the 100gb more programs installed on hdd, higher chance may contain large files which the av scan only the starting bytes of the file and skip the rest resulting in higher mb/s scan rate...

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Added info: HDD (1st partition) Contains ONLY boot OS/ system/program/apps/etc
install programs/files/etc and No video/photo files.
All big video/ photo are in 2nd partition-HDD(DATA area).
FYI: if select Custom scan, it will include all files in that drive to be scanned.

===============
Agreed boot up is faster using SSD vs HDD.

You can't compare a system disk vs a storage disk this way. System files typically is slower to scan due to compressed files and be different file types. System files are also thoroughly scanned since these are likely the type of files that could be a potential threat. You will certainly notice a significant difference if both drives are system disk, i.e. If both drive contains the same system files through cloning.

trento

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You can't compare a system disk vs a storage disk this way. System files typically is slower to scan due to compressed files and be different file types. System files are also thoroughly scanned since these are likely the type of files that could be a potential threat. You will certainly notice a significant difference if both drives are system disk, i.e. If both drive contains the same system files through cloning.

so can say buy a small ssd to store system files. the rest hdd for program files?

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so can say buy a small ssd to store system files. the rest hdd for program files?

My recommendation is to house OS and applications on your SSD, and for file storage, house them in a mechanical drive. The advantage of SSDs is the fast response time, so it helps to speed up the launch and load times.

hlots123

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
guessing u misread his setup & results...

Shawshankredempti0n

Reaction score
The main culprits being Windows OS and it's updates, Adobe software and projects as well as softwares root files die die must saved into c: folder. Microsoft Office is also a beast that is getting fatter with each update.

In my case, I leave my desktop on so that I can remote control when required. Mine used to be NAS but since doing this, changed to just a normal hdd file storage array connected to it.

Cleanmgr.exe

Google it.

Dr.Vijay

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
You must be extremely patient.

In any case, it's your story and your opinion.

However, SSDs aren't like the cost they used to be as some have also pointed out.

They are indeed mainstream for DIY builds these days. Just add a hundred bucks and you can get a reasonable small SSD that's perfect to boost OS and loading key programs.

That's the advantage - speed, responsiveness. These aspects can be appreciated by anyone from any walks of life. You don't need a stop watch or a benchmark to figure the difference between a HDD and SDD.

I will also not deny your reasoning of spending that sum towards a better GPU if one is in a real budget and it makes all the difference of getting a GTX 1050 vs. GTX 1060, as long as gaming is the key requirement.

At the end of the day, it's all about a matter of perspective and what's important for a given budget and the intended job.

The thread title and some of the thought process is however misleading and could probably even be a waste of time for those trying to read through and weigh in their thoughts. Time to close this thread.

Feel free to start another thread to have a more focussed and meaningful discussion - e.g. how to speed up/optimize your PC, etc.

well im more practical and a hype cynic. Its one thing to see numbers and graphical charts and another to actually use it.

Thus far for what I do, can't really discern any difference. The gpu handles the steam games, the CPU handles the premiere rendering and photoshop realtime editing, the bus and clock handles the bandwith with ram doing the files. But then again, my desktop is Frankenstein monster with parts salvaged from buy n sell..more fun in my opinion with money saved for batam getaway.

Thus far, the main difference for my rig is slower startup time and shutdown time but only by a few minutes. Not like last time where can make coffee before pc will go into windows. If i was to guess, hdd read write tech must have considerably improved in the years since my last hdd.

One thing about ssd is that it is difficult juggling space between ssd and hdd unless super diligent in file management. For a long term pc and die die must use ssd, minimum is 512gb otherwise just go hdd. Even 256gb will hit a space bottleneck sooner than later depending on the applications installed.

Definitely there will be real time benefits to using ssd but depends on the application. There are games that may go slightly faster but given a choice of upgrading gpu or changing to ssd, it's the gpu upgrade that will give the best performance boost for the dollar. Especially those doing budget builds for autocad, illustrator and etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.