[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoDiE

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, apparently restart NAS and restart my MacBook solves a lot of problems haha. Still exploring and getting used to the interface, but I must say, so far so good, loving it. Managed to get my android box to pull videos from my NAS to playback via SMB server.. MacBook connects to the NAS via afp.. file copy speed wise, 15gb file took around 7 mins, still ok.. really no regrets buying this..

sunht

Master Member
Reaction score
Stick with APC CS models. I have used CS500 and CS650 and both works alright. Connect the data cable (one end RJ50, the other end USB-A connectors) between the NAS and your UPS.

Update:

If you are using an UPS, you will also want to get one of these
33x8rbc.jpg

What you want is to get the C13/C14 connector set. On the right of the image above shows C14 male. You don't need this for the APC CS UPS unit. You need the C13 female connector. It looks pretty similar to the device on the left. You also get a power strip and cut away the connector and wire to the C13 female connector. Connect to the UPS so that you can provide backup power for your router/switch and your ONT unit (or ADSL modem)

When your main power is interrupted these devices will continue to function for awhile to allow your NAS to notify you over email that your main power is down or back online.

I uses Pushover to get push notification on my smartphone.

That's helpful. Thanks a lot.

tiewkiat

Reaction score
Seem I am able to use BTRFS with the new update. Should I create my new Volume with this format?

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Seem I am able to use BTRFS with the new update. Should I create my new Volume with this format?

In my point of view, you should.

Read up the advantage n cons of it.
https://www.synology.com/en-global/dsm/Btrfs

For home users, I actually recommend it too

sunht

Master Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to enable SMS notification? I'm on M1, it seems require SMS URL, etc.

tiewkiat

Reaction score
BTRFS has higher overheads. So need to factor that in

In my point of view, you should.

Read up the advantage n cons of it.
https://www.synology.com/en-global/dsm/Btrfs

For home users, I actually recommend it too

Thanks for the replies. The only feature I am looking at is data protection as I am home user. I do not require snapshots and quotas features of BTRFS.

I did some research and the information I gathered was that BTRFS was stable with RAID 1 and not that stable with other RAIDs. Not sure if this is still the case.

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The only feature I am looking at is data protection as I am home user. I do not require snapshots and quotas features of BTRFS.

I did some research and the information I gathered was that BTRFS was stable with RAID 1 and not that stable with other RAIDs. Not sure if this is still the case.

Stability is to be tested over time and extensive usage. Unless you are an enterprise user whom has all the bells and whistles needs and protection with good backup and redundancies practices, you are better off on stable solution like ext4.

If you are only using NAS as a storage, btrfs wouldn't make a lot of differences to you. Quotas feature are already available even if you are using ext4.

Even in year 2016, we still getting a lot of discussions on the stability of btrfs, well i wouldn't consider this a good sign of stability, at least not from the perspective of someone whom doesn't do kernel and filesystem development.

Last edited:

tiewkiat

Reaction score
Stability is to be tested over time and extensive usage. Unless you are an enterprise user whom has all the bells and whistles needs and protection with good backup and redundancies practices, you are better off on stable solution like ext4.

If you are only using NAS as a storage, btrfs wouldn't make a lot of differences to you. Quotas feature are already available even if you are using ext4.

Even in year 2016, we still getting a lot of discussions on the stability of btrfs, well i wouldn't consider this a good sign of stability, at least not from the perspective of someone whom doesn't do kernel and filesystem development.

Thank you, I think I will stick to ext4 then.

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
got my new DS416

try the adapter plug. cannot power up my DS413J..
my old DS413J really dead.

Do anyone know how to deal with the enclosure? throw ah?

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ya.. quite lousy le.. use only 3 yr!

i gonna admit, 3 yr is alittle too short for my taste as well.

let's hope the new one could last you much longer!

One of my friends is still using my DS1512+ which i have sold it to him.

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
ur DS1512+ seen to be more higher end....

tbh, i also did not open 24hour for my old NAS.. :(:(

i gonna admit, 3 yr is alittle too short for my taste as well.

let's hope the new one could last you much longer!

One of my friends is still using my DS1512+ which i have sold it to him.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ur DS1512+ seen to be more higher end....

tbh, i also did not open 24hour for my old NAS.. :(:(

waiting to see if Synology finally willing to add a HDMI for its upcoming line up - then perhaps i would be sway to upgrade.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
a pity the 1517+ still doesnt have USB on the front nor the HDMI.

Last edited:

Topaz8

Master Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Need some advice on this. One of my 2TB WD 7200rpm HDD (5 bay) failed a couple of days ago.

Went to SLS to look for replacement and didn't want to get WD anymore if possible. Raid 10

1. Can i use other brands of HDD?
2. Can i replace with Higher capacity for just 1 HDD, eg 3TB
3. Can i use a 5200rpm instead of 7200rpm HDD, all other 4 HDD is on 7200rpm?
4. How is Toshiba HDD? Its the cheapest avail among the others 2TB $89.00?

TIA.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.