Who has been to South Africa?

invisible999

Master Member
Reaction score
Where did you stay in cape town? Any recommendations?

AirBnB. Rented 2 bedroom house at Hout Bay, this one
https://www.airbnb.com.sg/rooms/15852892

What car rental company did you used? Any issues when returning the rental car?
Avis. Look at FlyerTalk car rental forums, there are coupons from time to time 10-20% off or one extra day free. No issue, but they charged one more extra day because I dropped car 20 min late. I asked the charges to be removed, have not received the answer yet.

jarvis

Master Member
Reaction score
I'm also thinking of going Africa for honeymoon, but we like to join a tour so it's more convenient. Anyone heard of A2A Safaris? Like to know the experience with them and whether they are affordable

Don't just stick to Singapore travel agents. Compare their packages and prices with the ones based in SA itself and/or the UK. I used Go2Africa for South Africa and the service was very good. I used one called Yellow Zebra based in the UK for Tanzania and it was also very professional. Because of the higher volume of tourists, they might have contacts with more reserves and stuff.

A2A safaris is supposed to be one of those niche / non-mass market ones that cater to the higher end of the market - good in that there's usually a certain standard expected (e.g. lodging, food, response times), but it also means you pay for it. I think we did approach them when planning for Tanzania but didn't go with them in the end.

Another you can try in Singapore are Country Holidays. It won't be cheap either but the friends I know who've used them (for other destinations) speak highly of them.

do speak to a few of these and see who you feel more comfortable with in terms of their ideas and also budget. BTW, I'm past the age where I can travel rough so I'm resigned to paying for my comforts when I travel. There is a relationship between price and quality - you just have to find what's a good balance for yourself and that changes with time.

le_munchkin

Reaction score
I've come across Country Holidays too but A2A seems like they are more specialized in SA.

Was hesitating on the packages outside Singapore because I'm not sure how communication would be like, only through emails?

When you approached these companies for planning but did not go ahead with them, how much roughly did you have to pay for their services?

Don't just stick to Singapore travel agents. Compare their packages and prices with the ones based in SA itself and/or the UK. I used Go2Africa for South Africa and the service was very good. I used one called Yellow Zebra based in the UK for Tanzania and it was also very professional. Because of the higher volume of tourists, they might have contacts with more reserves and stuff.

A2A safaris is supposed to be one of those niche / non-mass market ones that cater to the higher end of the market - good in that there's usually a certain standard expected (e.g. lodging, food, response times), but it also means you pay for it. I think we did approach them when planning for Tanzania but didn't go with them in the end.

Another you can try in Singapore are Country Holidays. It won't be cheap either but the friends I know who've used them (for other destinations) speak highly of them.

do speak to a few of these and see who you feel more comfortable with in terms of their ideas and also budget. BTW, I'm past the age where I can travel rough so I'm resigned to paying for my comforts when I travel. There is a relationship between price and quality - you just have to find what's a good balance for yourself and that changes with time.

jarvis

Master Member
Reaction score
I've come across Country Holidays too but A2A seems like they are more specialized in SA.

Was hesitating on the packages outside Singapore because I'm not sure how communication would be like, only through emails?

When you approached these companies for planning but did not go ahead with them, how much roughly did you have to pay for their services?

Communication can be thru emails or even calls. It's no issue because they probably use VOIP calls or even if IDD calls, the price of calls has come down very much.

As for "planning", there is no cost at all to you. Basically you just approach them and tell them you are exploring the possibility of [whatever] and you come across their website / agency and could they tell you what they have to offer / suggest. Of course, from there narrow it down to your shortlisted agencies that you ask more questions of. Don't lead people along unnecessarily. For them it's part and parcel of the business that not every enquiry results in a sales. Just be reasonable - don't be like the auntie who pokes and prods each and every fish at the market then decide not to buy any at all type.

le_munchkin

Reaction score
Cool thanks for your recommendation! :)

Communication can be thru emails or even calls. It's no issue because they probably use VOIP calls or even if IDD calls, the price of calls has come down very much.

As for "planning", there is no cost at all to you. Basically you just approach them and tell them you are exploring the possibility of [whatever] and you come across their website / agency and could they tell you what they have to offer / suggest. Of course, from there narrow it down to your shortlisted agencies that you ask more questions of. Don't lead people along unnecessarily. For them it's part and parcel of the business that not every enquiry results in a sales. Just be reasonable - don't be like the auntie who pokes and prods each and every fish at the market then decide not to buy any at all type.

kingkangkong

Reaction score
Flying to SA in a months time!
Anyone have any experience buying sim cards? Will need it for google maps as we are driving ourselves around cape town before safari in kruger.

any MUST EATS in SA?

It will be our honeymoon so any nice romantic scenery spots recommendations would be awesome as well.

UptheToon

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I've booked for travel to Namibia in April next year. Anyone been there? Planning to self drive for 2 weeks. I chose Namibia because the soussvlei desert is too beautiful.

invisible999

Master Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience buying sim cards? Will need it for google maps as we are driving ourselves around cape town before safari in kruger.
Vodafone was fine. About $20 for 1.5GB data.

any MUST EATS in SA?
Anything containing meat.

It will be our honeymoon so any nice romantic scenery spots recommendations would be awesome as well.

The whole country can be. Coastal drives nearby Cape Town. Garden Route. Panorama Route. Plenty.... the only problem is time.

invisible999

Master Member
Reaction score
I've booked for travel to Namibia in April next year. Anyone been there? Planning to self drive for 2 weeks. I chose Namibia because the soussvlei desert is too beautiful.

2 weeks is probably enough time just for Botswana. I had grand plan of road trip - to start from Cape Town, drive to Namibia, then across Namib Desert to Botswana, coming back to South Africa again via Kruger, but people told me that without rush I need to reserve 5 weeks for it, I must have 4x4 and should expect that whole trip - rental, accommodation, flights will costs minimum $10k for one person or $16K for two. Decided that it was way too expensive.

Last edited:

sendtolee

Reaction score
2 weeks is probably enough time just for Botswana. I had grand plan of road trip - to start from Cape Town, drive to Namibia, then across Namib Desert to Botswana, coming back to South Africa again via Kruger, but people told me that without rush I need to reserve 5 weeks for it, I must have 4x4 and should expect that whole trip - rental, accommodation, flights will costs minimum $10k for one person or $16K for two. Decided that it was way too expensive.

If you need to go to desert, definitely a 4x4 is required.
5 weeks is about right as the car cannot go fast on dirt roads, lucky if can hit 50kmh. Please remember vehicle recovery is almost non-existent in most of Bostwans, Namibia and Zimbabwe. Most tours like these travel in a convoy and visas, vaccinations, 4x4 preparation have to be done in advance.
There is also cost to buy spare parts for the 4x4 to standby and also a car mechanic cum driver needs to tag along.
The route you mentioned has almost zero accommodations along the way. In this case, the trip has to stop around late afternoon to look for and setup a safe camp sites.

Marissa0716

Reaction score
If you need to go to desert, definitely a 4x4 is required.
5 weeks is about right as the car cannot go fast on dirt roads, lucky if can hit 50kmh. Please remember vehicle recovery is almost non-existent in most of Bostwans, Namibia and Zimbabwe. Most tours like these travel in a convoy and visas, vaccinations, 4x4 preparation have to be done in advance.
There is also cost to buy spare parts for the 4x4 to standby and also a car mechanic cum driver needs to tag along.
The route you mentioned has almost zero accommodations along the way. In this case, the trip has to stop around late afternoon to look for and setup a safe camp sites.

Botswana has 2 seasons - wet and dry. Wet most area will be flooded. Zambia is impossible to drive as flooding can be very dangerous.

I went Botswana wet season to see African greenery, lions etc.. and Zambia dry season to see leopards daily. Both private game reserves and book directly in UK. If u book locally or in Asia, u tend to share 4x4 with PRC and they can be noisy..

Last edited:

UptheToon

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

How was minimum 10k deduced?? Whats the breakdown?

invisible999

Master Member
Reaction score
How was minimum 10k deduced?? Whats the breakdown?

5 weeks minimum:

$2K - air ticket ( SIN-CPT-SIN, Christmas time, via SQ)
4x4 rental and gas - $5k, including mandatory additional comprehensive insurance which includes 'single vehicle accidents' for Namibia/Botswana. Third party/credit card complimentary insurance DO NOT cover 4x4 in general and such additional options. Just insurance only can run $80/day and more.
$3K - lodging, food, permits, satellite phone rental, perk entries, etc.

Last edited:

kingkangkong

Reaction score
Vodafone was fine. About $20 for 1.5GB data.

Anything containing meat.

The whole country can be. Coastal drives nearby Cape Town. Garden Route. Panorama Route. Plenty.... the only problem is time.

Thanks for the tips.

Malaria pills a must for kruger?

Seems like its not necessary for cape town.

Lastly, where is a good place to change rand? I went to my neighbourhood money changer and he tells me that he doesn't have haha.

sendtolee

Reaction score
5 weeks minimum:

$2K - air ticket ( SIN-CPT-SIN, Christmas time, via SQ)
4x4 rental and gas - $5k, including mandatory additional comprehensive insurance which includes 'single vehicle accidents' for Namibia/Botswana. Third party/credit card complimentary insurance DO NOT cover 4x4 in general and such additional options. Just insurance only can run $80/day and more.
$3K - lodging, food, permits, satellite phone rental, perk entries, etc.

I am not surprised with the breakdown. The risk is high so a higher insurance premium is quoted.
Food cost is also higher due to the remoteness of the lodgings. I am not surprised if end up staying in tents.

sendtolee

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips.

Lastly, where is a good place to change rand? I went to my neighbourhood money changer and he tells me that he doesn't have haha.

Malaria pills, yellow fever vaccination, typhoid fever are highly recommended. Otherwise insurance may not pay for claims if illness happens.

invisible999

Master Member
Reaction score

No need for whole South Africa. However, SA requires yellowcard (malaria certificate) if you are coming from northern/middle parts of africa.

Arcade. Works fine.

I am not surprised with the breakdown. The risk is high so a higher insurance premium is quoted.
Food cost is also higher due to the remoteness of the lodgings. I am not surprised if end up staying in tents.

The main problem at Namibia/Botswana are 'single vehicle accidents' - in other words when overturning on a road due to the fact not being familiar how to drive on tar roads.

As far as lodging, I was quoted something starting from US $300 per day for Botswana/Chobe. After that I crossed over Botswana and Namibia entirely.

Last edited:

WadsUpDoc

Reaction score
Anyone planning to go to South Africa for end of year holidays- I've some remaining rand left, can contact me if keen ^^

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.