BEWARE!! Counterfeit Laptop/Notebook found in IT EXPO 2017

Reesey

Reaction score
Just yesterday, I visited the annual IT EXPO as I planned to get an older Windows 7 base laptop which was advertised in a leaflet.
I visited the booth, I asked for the laptop and a sale personnel presented to me a $399 forth generation i5 HP Windows 7 laptop with 1 year OEM warranty which they did not have sample of because he said its limited stock daily in the show. I decided to buy it though.
When I was about to make the payment, a staff behind the counter told me this is the last one for the day and the package was opened only for the purpose of the customer to take a look at the color and he promised its a brand new unit. As I was in a rush, I just made a minor inspection for any visible damages then I bought it.

Then later I tried to mess with the newly bought laptop.
I saw plenty of chinese characters in an english environment setup.
To my surprised its an i5 but M520 chipset, a first generation i series not the forth as promised!
I realize it was running on Windows 7 Ultimate version!
Its only then I realize something was seriously wrong because its not possible that OEM will include the Ultimate license for that laptop's configuration, its simply under power.
So I look around the laptop for the Windows license sticker which must be visible usually at the bottom of the unit. Not to my surpised, its nowhere to be found.
Its not a genuine Windows 7.
The worse part is yet to be over.
When I took a closer look at the HP logo under the display, I realize the printing looks uneven!
Then I close up the lip, guess what? The circular HP logo which was unique to pavilion series fell off from its sticky tape!
My closer inspection concluded that it was not an authentic HP product as the plastic feels cheap and none of those HP labels could found on the unit.

You can imagine how I felt, so I went right back to the show and ask for refund.
They agreed to refund me like immediately. They are basically telling me they know they're selling counterfeit HP product by doing so.
I checked, the company of that booth is Atrix Dynamics Pte Ltd, the main store is located at Sim Lim Square level 6.
This was my first experienced for being scammed in a trade show and hopefully the last.

Last edited:

Reesey

Reaction score
THIS IS NOT APRIL FOOL TRICK!!
I hope any thinking of getting a laptop from the show will read these and think twice.
Who knows, you may also unknowingly buy a second handed or with some expensive parts swop out.

Last edited:

K202020K

Master Member
Reaction score
Just yesterday, I visited the annual IT EXPO as I planned to get an older Windows 7 base laptop which was advertised in a leaflet.
I visited the booth, I asked for the laptop and a sale personnel presented to me a $399 forth generation i5 HP Windows 7 laptop with 1 year OEM warranty which they did not have sample of because he said its limited stock daily in the show. I decided to buy it though.
When I was about to make the payment, a staff behind the counter told me this is the last one for the day and the package was opened only for the purpose of the customer to take a look at the color and he promised its a brand new unit. As I was in a rush, I just made a minor inspection for any visible damages then I bought it.

Then later I tried to mess with the newly bought laptop.
I saw plenty of chinese characters in an english environment setup.
To my surprised its an i5 but M520 chipset, a first generation i series not the forth as promised!
I realize it was running on Windows 7 Ultimate version!
Its only then I realize something was seriously wrong because its not possible that OEM will include the Ultimate license for that laptop's configuration, its simply under power.
So I look around the laptop for the Windows license sticker which must be visible usually at the bottom of the unit. Not to my surpised, its nowhere to be found.
Its not a genuine Windows 7.
The worse part is yet to be over.
When I took a closer look at the HP logo under the display, I realize the printing looks uneven!
Then I close up the lip, guess what? The circular HP logo which was unique to pavilion series fell off from its sticky tape!
My closer inspection concluded that it was not an authentic HP product as the plastic feels cheap and none of those HP labels could found on the unit.

You can imagine how I felt, so I went right back to the show and ask for refund.
They agreed to refund me like immediately. They are basically telling me they know they're selling counterfeit HP product by doing so.
I checked, the company of that booth is Atrix Dynamics Pte Ltd, the main store is located at Sim Lim Square level 6.
This was my first experienced for being scammed in a trade show and hopefully the last.
No joke? This is very serious matter. Any pics? You know, over here is NPNT de..

Sent from RTA using GAGT

Reesey

Reaction score
No joke? This is very serious matter. Any pics? You know, over here is NPNT de..

Sent from RTA using GAGT
i'm prepared to launch a police report at that time if they were to find excuses not to refund me.
i don't even need to go to CASE
i'm pretty sure they don't want to get themselves into trouble by simply refunding me as i was speaking really loud.

Pyjames

Reaction score

Sent from RTA using GAGT

Hey there,
I recently bought a HP laptop from them too. Felt really wierd by their filmsy quaility laptop, the 3 pin plug was a thin flat piece that doesnt suit our electrical sockets. The box is without any instruction manual or any paper warranty. No windows 7 ultimate sticker behind. Like what the post mentioned, many chinese apps was inside as well.

Pyjames

Reaction score
Hey there,
I recently bought a HP laptop from them too. Felt really wierd by their filmsy quaility laptop, the 3 pin plug was a thin flat piece that doesnt suit our electrical sockets. The box is without any instruction manual or any paper warranty. No windows 7 ultimate sticker behind. Like what the post mentioned, many chinese apps was inside as well.

Oh, the keyboard does not have the letter 'K' too. It has 2 letter 'L' . Please dont buy their product. Total scam!

Reesey

Reaction score
Hey there,
can you take and post snap shots of the laptop also including the retail box?
i can verify it for you.

Last edited:

Reesey

Reaction score
Never thought it could happen in Singapore, esp at IT Expo.
this was what i thought so before but after yesterdays incident, I'm sorry to say the easiest way to stay safe next time is to simply boycott all SIM LIM SQUARE store reseller.
i remember when FUNAN IT MALL was around in the past, i would make a bargain there and leave with a product with 100% confidence that it was what i paid for.

Last edited:

Reesey

Reaction score
for anyone who is reading this and still have doubts, tomorrow is the last day of the show just go down the show and look for the booth which have the collection counter at the right of the hall closest to the entrance.
verify if they're from Atrix Dynamics Pte Ltd.
ask the staff for Windows 7 laptop, he will present you a $399 one.
pretend you want buy then go to the collection counter and tell them you want to first check the color and designed of the laptop before buying.
remember the points from my first post.
verify if the laptop is from the actual OEM, you will see what I mean.

K202020K

Master Member
Reaction score
don't be surprise that the sellers from CAROUSELL have more integrity than those in the SIM LIM SQUARE
Ok noted. Looks like it's better to buy from Amazon.com. Saw one shop near the escalator selling microSD memory. SanDisk microSD card 32GB at $33 which I bought elsewhere for $14.5, the same product. Really is daylight robbery.

Sent from RTA using GAGT

Reesey

Reaction score
Ok noted. Looks like it's better to buy from Amazon.com. Saw one shop near the escalator selling microSD memory. SanDisk microSD card 32GB at $33 which I bought elsewhere for $14.5, the same product. Really is daylight robbery.

Sent from RTA using GAGT
price have nothing to do with integrity in my opinion, if a seller set it at a price and the buyer willing to pay for it; its a deal.
but if the seller knowingly sold you a counterfeit product, in this case a china clone SANDISK that was made at some random district in shenzhen then thats lag of integrity.
to be frank, there's scamming going everywhere even in AMAZON.COM as you could be dealing with individual seller that simply have a registered account with them.
SIM LIM SQUARE simply earns their reputation that way.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.