Credit Card Wiki

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hello, this will be a new Wiki page for all things Credit Card.

Do let me know what needs to be here or how you would arrange the wiki. Open for ideas.
This thread will be stickied when more contents are available.

Thanks.

Credit cards is a great tool to earn you reward points (which you redeem for miles or vouchers or gifts), or cashback. http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/c...-miles-cashback-card-xxx-payment-5592138.html There are also often promotions running especially during festive seasons which give even greater opportunity for more savings.
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/c...e-redeem-promotion-5571957.html#post107112668

Remember to read the Terms and Conditions of the various card benefits and promotions and feel free to ask in the relevant threads if there is any query. In particular take note of the card application requirements, card rewards mechanism and transactions excluded from awarding points/cashback.

Unless annual fees are auto waived, or there is no annual fee on the credit card, annual fee is usually charged to the card statement one year after the card application or card membership renewal. Try to set a reminder to remind yourself when there is a need to seek for annual fee waiver. Note that for some rewards/miles cards, points are awarded for paying annual fees, you can see if it is worth it to pay the fees or to seek fee waiver. Also, annual fees waiver are easier for some cards compared to others.

Some other fees that may incur are
1) cross border fees, when paying in SGD on websites where default prices are in SGD, but the payment is processed overseas.
2) dynamic currency conversion (DCC) fee, when paying overseas (or on overseas websites) where the default prices are in currency other than SGD, and the merchant offer you an option to pay in SGD instead. On top of the DCC fee, the merchant would usually have used conversion rates very much not to you favor, so try to avoid DCC and pay in their local currency instead.
3) currency exchange fee, when paying in currency other than SGD (for Singapore issued cards)

Take heed to pay fully by due date, to avoid incurring late fees and high interest which goes against the intent of reaping savings. There may be times when you are cash-strapped and have trouble paying your credit card bill on time. To tide it over, you can consider making use of balance transfer to take low interest loans to pay for the credit card bills, thus reducing the interest incurred. http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/c...243/best-funds-transfer-rate-now-2996124.html Of course, try not to get into a situation where you need to apply for debt consolidation. http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/c...ties-243/debt-consolidation-plan-5552242.html

1. Card transaction fees you may not know you are paying

2. http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/c...lities-243/list-sites-charge-dcc-5315195.html

Last edited:

dahnoob

Reaction score
I just realised how wrong I was in my initiative. Despite having the thread on front page for couple of days, people still do not utilize it and there are still new threads everyday with like 1 or 0 replies. They all share the same title "Best credit card for xxx". I will consider deleting my thread to reduce clutter if the situation does not improve.

Trazora

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just realised how wrong I was in my initiative. Despite having the thread on front page for couple of days, people still do not utilize it and there are still new threads everyday with like 1 or 0 replies. They all share the same title "Best credit card for xxx". I will consider deleting my thread to reduce clutter if the situation does not improve.

Well maybe the thread not yet stickied. Most new posts I see are on other topics.

Last edited:

dahnoob

Reaction score
It defeats the purpose to consolidate after new threads are created. My original intention was to reduce clutter and provide a channel for asking all kinds of questions as a reply in the thread, instead of creating a new one.

Well maybe the thread not yet stickied. Most new posts I see are on other topics.

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
hmm... so? wanna sticky or not? At your service. :o

Last edited:

Trazora

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It defeats the purpose to consolidate after new threads are created. My original intention was to reduce clutter and provide a channel for asking all kinds of questions as a reply in the thread, instead of creating a new one.

The original intent is to compile the commonly asked qn about which are the best credit cards for something right? Not really all kinds of questions. I think it will be quite messy if all kinds of questions are asked in the same thread. Also I don't think it is feasible to compile everything in just a few posts in the thread, given the wide range of questions.

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Actually, it's more a reference so when similar questions are already answered, can just direct them to the stickied to reference instead of explaining.
my2cent.

dahnoob

Reaction score
The original intent is to compile the commonly asked qn about which are the best credit cards for something right? Not really all kinds of questions. I think it will be quite messy if all kinds of questions are asked in the same thread. Also I don't think it is feasible to compile everything in just a few posts in the thread, given the wide range of questions.

Yes, original intention was to have all the "Best card for XXX" questions and answers in the same thread. Other questions on card mechanics should of course be asked in a new thread. We'll see how it goes from here I guess, I will still be updating my thread as people post more questions/replies.

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
So should have what to wiki? Anyone wanna take a stab with a few links?
Help needed as I'm not familiar with the CC section.

Trazora

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Credit cards is a great tool to earn you reward points (which you redeem for miles or vouchers or gifts), or cashback. http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/c...-miles-cashback-card-xxx-payment-5592138.html There are also often promotions running especially during festive seasons which give even greater opportunity for more savings.
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/c...e-redeem-promotion-5571957.html#post107112668

Remember to read the Terms and Conditions of the various card benefits and promotions and feel free to ask in the relevant threads if there is any query. In particular take note of the card application requirements, card rewards mechanism and transactions excluded from awarding points/cashback.

Unless annual fees are auto waived, or there is no annual fee on the credit card, annual fee is usually charged to the card statement one year after the card application or card membership renewal. Try to set a reminder to remind yourself when there is a need to seek for annual fee waiver. Note that for some rewards/miles cards, points are awarded for paying annual fees, you can see if it is worth it to pay the fees or to seek fee waiver. Also, annual fees waiver are easier for some cards compared to others.

Some other fees that may incur are
1) cross border fees, when paying in SGD on websites where default prices are in SGD, but the payment is processed overseas.
2) dynamic currency conversion (DCC) fee, when paying overseas (or on overseas websites) where the default prices are in currency other than SGD, and the merchant offer you an option to pay in SGD instead. On top of the DCC fee, the merchant would usually have used conversion rates very much not to you favor, so try to avoid DCC and pay in their local currency instead.
3) currency exchange fee, when paying in currency other than SGD (for Singapore issued cards)

Take heed to pay fully by due date, to avoid incurring late fees and high interest which goes against the intent of reaping savings. There may be times when you are cash-strapped and have trouble paying your credit card bill on time. To tide it over, you can consider making use of balance transfer to take low interest loans to pay for the credit card bills, thus reducing the interest incurred. http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/c...243/best-funds-transfer-rate-now-2996124.html Of course, try not to get into a situation where you need to apply for debt consolidation. http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/c...ties-243/debt-consolidation-plan-5552242.html

Last edited:

Yachtmaster

Reaction score

Unless annual fees are auto waived, or there is no annual fee on the credit card, annual fee is usually charged to the card statement one year after the card application or card membership renewal. Try to set a reminder to remind yourself when there is a need to seek for annual fee waiver.

But take heed to pay fully by due date, to avoid incurring late fees and high interest which goes against the intent of reaping savings. There may be times when you are cash-strapped and have trouble paying your credit card bill on time. To tide it over, you can consider making use of balance transfer to take low interest loans to pay for the credit card bills, thus reducing the interest incurred. http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/c...243/best-funds-transfer-rate-now-2996124.html Of course, try not to get into a situation where you need to apply for debt consolidation. http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/c...ties-243/debt-consolidation-plan-5552242.html

Trazora, U should take over this wiki as dahnoob somehow has some negative feelings not sure why

I think you will do a great job updating

Trazora

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Trazora, U should take over this wiki as dahnoob somehow has some negative feelings not sure why

Thank you. Just helping Perisher to get things going here.

dahnoob

Reaction score

Not negative feelings per se, but the direction this is going was not exactly my original intent. I wanted to set up a FAQ thread for all things related to 'Best card for XXX', so that we won't see those threads with 1 or 2 replies cluttering up the front page. Somehow it evolved into some kind of credit card wiki, which I'm not against as well. I'm not asking my thread to be featured or stickied or whatever, I'm not even insisting I'm the one to update it. All I wanted was less clutter, and more room for useful threads in the front page.

It doesn't make sense that out of the 20 or so threads in the first page, 5 of them are "what is the best card for XXX?" or "do XXX earn <insert points> with YYY card?". I have to scroll beyond the first page to find certain card specific threads. This is happening all the time, which is undesirable to me. I'm not claiming credit for any work done or being protective of my thread or what not, I just wanted to see that something is being done. If anyone feel that it is better for him/her to continue updating, I am perfectly fine with that. Just copy the entire post over to your thread and contact any mod to close mine.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.