Secure your Router - DIR-868L

chris30j

Reaction score
It is heartening to know that our router is being supported by so many firmware developers (official and non-official), but this can be so confusing for simple folks like me. Also, updates if too frequent, can be too difficult to keep up as we are busy working for our livelihood and really cannot afford the router to go down. Just my two cents (",)

Phumba

Reaction score
The 1.09SHC is like putting steriods on the DIR-868L.

Wifi signal is stronger , even when set to LOW.

LAN speed also faster. Previously only get 700+ mbps now 800+ mbps .

Thanks bro for the report. I guess I should get myself busy and update mine... :s13:

Its hard to get past the "if it aint broke, why fix it" mode of things....

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
They really should do better to support the keeping of settings to encourage more people to use the new firmware.

Of course can understand if it is third party firmware that we do a factory reset but not everyone has the time to key in the settings again.

legaltech

Reaction score
Thanks bro for the report. I guess I should get myself busy and update mine... :s13:

Its hard to get past the "if it aint broke, why fix it" mode of things....

As long as you don't turn on remote administration/access then maybe no pressing need.

The most recent patch fixed a vulnerability that allowed a remote, unauthenticated attacker to execute arbitrary code - doesn't matter if a strong password was in place; once remote admin on, the router is a sitting duck.

nhc125

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have this that I bought second hand.

DIR-868L
Firmware Version : 1.07SHC

I have been using M1 internet for few months with no problems so far.

Today I realized there is a firmware upgrade available to v1.09 on http://www.dlink.com.sg/starhub/.

Then there is another update I saw on this site which is v1.12 - http://support.dlink.com/ProductInfo.aspx?m=DIR-868L

For my case, which should I choose to update to as I am using M1?

mohamadhafiz

Reaction score
Wah didnt know got such thread... thumbs up to TS and all contributors...

I have 1 questioned. i emailed tech support but still cant resolve.

I have been on my 2nd recontract and got another 868L modem. Was thinking of improving my home network.

So this is my set up based on a new BTO with patch converted to LAN.
Ont -> 868L -> Switch -> 4 (Living, 2 bedroom, Master)

Ive added another 868L into the 2nd bedroom as it is more centralized. Wifi and wired port all working no issue. Except i really want to use the USB panel of the 2nd 868L to connect to my printer so it can be 'wireless' as in can print from any device connected to the whole house network.

I googled on the making of a port and etc but still cannot. Seems the router cant detect my printer. Any gurus out there can help? Thanks in advance!

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

I have been on my 2nd recontract and got another 868L modem. Was thinking of improving my home network.

Ive added another 868L into the 2nd bedroom as it is more centralized. Wifi and wired port all working no issue. Except i really want to use the USB panel of the 2nd 868L to connect to my printer so it can be 'wireless' as in can print from any device connected to the whole house network.

I googled on the making of a port and etc but still cannot. Seems the router cant detect my printer. Any gurus out there can help? Thanks in advance!
For official dlink firmware, only the master router will be able to access the USB port. I dun think 2nd routers configured as repeater or with wan disabled can access its USB port. Can try exploring the 3rd party firmware like dd-wrt.

Hl3599

Reaction score
Can I know what kind of switch u use?

xxxjhxxx

Master Member
Reaction score
guys... my router died after 1+ years and now the replacement router is facing the intermittent connection (cannot resolve DNS) issue. Running on 1.09SHC.. anyone facing the same issue? quite pissed alr. wasting my time calling in to Dlink support 3 times.

Anyone knows if Starhub can do on-site router replacement for free? it is their problem and i dun wanna pay any delivery or service fee. also sick of going back to Dlink service centre

should i call SH instead?

Last edited:

tungsten2

Master Member
Reaction score
guys... my router died after 1+ years and now the replacement router is facing the intermittent connection (cannot resolve DNS) issue. Running on 1.09SHC.. anyone facing the same issue? quite pissed alr. wasting my time calling in to Dlink support 3 times.

Anyone knows if Starhub can do on-site router replacement for free? it is their problem and i dun wanna pay any delivery or service fee. also sick of going back to Dlink service centre

should i call SH instead?

Your Dir-868L comes with a 3 years warranty.
Write down the symptom on a big white sticker/post it note and paste is on the router
Bring it down to the Dlink Service Centre to do a 1-to-1 exchange.
No question asked.

Starhub won't delivery you a replacement for free lah. To them once the contract is sign, its your problem. You die die have to make a trip down to Synergy building.

Last time what I do for the intermitten disconnection issue is to perform the 3 steps below
1. hard reset (poke the reset button and hold until the globe LED turn AMBER)
2. router page -> tools -> system -> restore factory default
3. configure dns & mtu first. the rest later than do.

But nowadays don't face it anymore.

tungsten2

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi Phumba, where you get this 1.02SHC. ?
I don't have this version.
So far, if i my memory didn't fail me, all the previous version I used before, they have the access point settings.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.