New DIY PC Advice!

singupingu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is it trustworthy? I read on some forums that these sellers will resell the serial keys over and over again to different people. Till the point that the serial keys become invalid. :(:eek:

I am using such keys. Even if it don't work, seller usually will get another key for you or help you resolve. Anyway, it's just like 12 bucks to try. I don't think it's a very big risk :)

Coz I understand many are like me, refuse to pay more than 100 bucks for an original copy and rather settle for cheaper digital key :s13:

Providence

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In February 2016, however, an ASRock firmware update removed the feature. On February 9, 2016, Intel announced that it would no longer allow such overclocking of non-K processors, and that it had issued a CPU microcode update which removes the function. In April 2016 ASRock started selling motherboards which allow overclocking of unsupported CPUs using an external clock generator.

Even though I don't overclock anything, I still believe that ASRock is quite good/innovative lately. :s13:

Providence

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am using such keys. Even if it don't work, seller usually will get another key for you or help you resolve. Anyway, it's just like 12 bucks to try. I don't think it's a very big risk :)

Coz I understand many are like me, refuse to pay more than 100 bucks for an original copy and rather settle for cheaper digital key :s13:

S$12? Can you PM me the link? I only found S$50 (Cheapest) on one seller at Carousell. :(

Providence

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any recommendation for AMD processor and its compatible motherboard? I prefer ASRock though. :D

I am not knowledgeable in AMD stuff so I need some advice on this. :)

If the setup is cheaper than the Intel one, then I rather have this AMD setup to work with my current specification list. :s13:

Satki General

Reaction score
Any recommendation for AMD processor and its compatible motherboard? I prefer ASRock though. :D

I am not knowledgeable in AMD stuff so I need some advice on this. :)

If the setup is cheaper than the Intel one, then I rather have this AMD setup to work with my current specification list. :s13:

Now got coupon from Q10 better hoot GPU first :s13:

singupingu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Will bump your cost by a fair bit though. Ryzen scale better with higher frequency ram.

Asrock AB350M Pro 4 + AMD Ryzen 1500X - $434
G.skill ripjaw V 2666mhz 2x8gb - $199
or
3000mhz kit + $10

Performance wise you won't notice much from gaming. But if you ever do multi core and thread workloads, then consider Ryzen. Otherwise if pure gaming, I'd suggest you stick to Intel for the moment until you are buying that time then consider again to see how Ryzen progresses.

Sent from Overpowered Phone Mark III using GAGT

Last edited:

Providence

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Will bump your cost by a fair bit though. Ryzen scale better with higher frequency ram.

Asrock AB350M Pro 4 + AMD Ryzen 1500X - $434
G.skill ripjaw V 2666mhz 2x8gb - $199
or
3000mhz kit + $10

Performance wise you won't notice much from gaming. But if you ever do multi core and thread workloads, then consider Ryzen. Otherwise if pure gaming, I'd suggest you stick to Intel for the moment until you are buying that time then consider again to see how Ryzen progresses.

I see. Thanks for the advice. :)

I didn't know the processor and the motherboard could be slightly expensive than Intel ones. Maybe they are new items. :s13:

The RAMs are performance type? Or just normal ones?

singupingu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I see. Thanks for the advice. :)

I didn't know the processor and the motherboard could be slightly expensive than Intel ones. Maybe they are new items. :s13:

The RAMs are performance type? Or just normal ones?
It's because all Ryzen chips are unlocked. They can be overclocked. Single/dual core performance (mainly mainstream games) is Intel's turf due to their higher default clock speed and years of market dominance that most product is already optimized for Intel out of the box.

However, the higher core/threads count from Ryzen is what makes it a better buy. Content creation, live streaming to others, heavy multicore and threads workload is where Ryzen shine best. Even their mainstream B350 boards can overclock while Intel b250/h270 series is locked and cannot overclock. Need the more expensive z270 instead.

The ram are performance ram. Since can OC, might as well choose ram that can run higher speed to utilize the feature better. Also, Ryzen multi core performance pretty dependent on the ram speed, albeit not very significant but notable at the very least.

Providence

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's because all Ryzen chips are unlocked. They can be overclocked. Single/dual core performance (mainly mainstream games) is Intel's turf due to their higher default clock speed and years of market dominance that most product is already optimized for Intel out of the box.

However, the higher core/threads count from Ryzen is what makes it a better buy. Content creation, live streaming to others, heavy multicore and threads workload is where Ryzen shine best. Even their mainstream B350 boards can overclock while Intel b250/h270 series is locked and cannot overclock. Need the more expensive z270 instead.

The ram are performance ram. Since can OC, might as well choose ram that can run higher speed to utilize the feature better. Also, Ryzen multi core performance pretty dependent on the ram speed, albeit not very significant but notable at the very least.

I see. I think I will stick to my original list then. :)

I don't need overclocking. :)

zabuton

Reaction score
For budget gaming, you will be GPU bound with 1050 Ti.

this is a better option, use the money saved to upgrade the GPU.

i3-7100 with 1060 3GB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRXphL_Q47s

here's another comparison between i3-7100 vs i5 7400 (although using 1060 6GB). Not the same as your i5 7500, but the point here is that CPU makes little difference for the same GPU. Your GPU upgrade to 1060 will more than catch up on the fps. (I am sure there are better comparison video in youtube somewhere).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mOD-bZ2B-8

Ryzen is a better platform because of long term view, better average fps, and if you upgrade your GPU later, but that's just my 2c. Intel definitely win for gaming at this point of time.

Providence

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Update:

My new house will be undergoing renovation this coming Monday (27-11-2017) so I assumed that it will be completed within January 2018. :)

Side-note: I never know that renovating a standard 4-room BTO flat can be so expensive. :(

Anyway, what is the latest update on the PC world? :)

Any new item lately? Is my wish list outdated? :s13:

Psycovirus

Reaction score
Update:

My new house will be undergoing renovation this coming Monday (27-11-2017) so I assumed that it will be completed within January 2018. :)

Side-note: I never know that renovating a standard 4-room BTO flat can be so expensive. :(

Your list kind of oudated liao...

1. Coffee Lake is out. Might want to consider Coffee Lake if you're assembling in Jan/Feb 2018 when stocks are stable and new B360/H370 Motherboards are out.
  2. RAM Prices are insane at the moment. Increased by abou $100 from previous prices. Last time $199, now $299ish. haha

tmfwy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I will be getting my new house soon so I am planning to build a new PC from scratch this time. My current one will be given to my wife to allow her to watch her online Korean dramas and Taiwanese variety shows in the future.

:s13:

Currently, I find that there are a lot of new hardware parts been introduced on the PC market so I totally lost touch on some of them. Thus, I need some help from you experts here.

My budget is S$1500 at the moment. I don't think I can squeeze a cent more above that budget as I still have house renovation to worry about. That will be a huge bomb for me and my wife later on. :(

Recommendations:

1) Processor (Preferably Intel)

2) Motherboard (ASRock or MSI)

3) RAM (Normal RAM is OK?)

4) Hard Drive

5) PSU

6) Media Drive

7) OS (Windows 10 - I guess)

8) Graphics Card (MSI...)

9) Casing (Is there one that has fan filters that can be removed for cleaning easily?)

10) Sound Card - Is it still relevant nowadays?

Normally, I will get my parts from Tradepac as I did the same for my past PCs.
Yo Providence,

Long time no see.
No wonder you rarely on Origin.. :p

Check PM

joshuaho

Reaction score
You using ID or contractor? How’s the workmanship? Able to share Contact? Haha

Update:

5star_pundit

Banned
Reaction score
I will be getting my new house soon so I am planning to build a new PC from scratch this time. My current one will be given to my wife to allow her to watch her online Korean dramas and Taiwanese variety shows in the future.

:s13:

Currently, I find that there are a lot of new hardware parts been introduced on the PC market so I totally lost touch on some of them. Thus, I need some help from you experts here.

My budget is S$1500 at the moment. I don't think I can squeeze a cent more above that budget as I still have house renovation to worry about. That will be a huge bomb for me and my wife later on. :(

Recommendations:

1) Processor (Preferably Intel)

2) Motherboard (ASRock or MSI)

3) RAM (Normal RAM is OK?)

4) Hard Drive

5) PSU

6) Media Drive

7) OS (Windows 10 - I guess)

8) Graphics Card (MSI...)

9) Casing (Is there one that has fan filters that can be removed for cleaning easily?)

10) Sound Card - Is it still relevant nowadays?

Normally, I will get my parts from Tradepac as I did the same for my past PCs.

For less than $200 get this mobo with turbo m2

26758381329_31856c8dbe_b.jpg

Providence

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Your list kind of oudated liao...

1. Coffee Lake is out. Might want to consider Coffee Lake if you're assembling in Jan/Feb 2018 when stocks are stable and new B360/H370 Motherboards are out.
  2. RAM Prices are insane at the moment. Increased by abou $100 from previous prices. Last time $199, now $299ish. haha

Are you kidding me? So even a pair of normal RAMs is also expensive? :eek:

Providence

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yo Providence,

Long time no see.
No wonder you rarely on Origin.. :p

Check PM

Hahahaha... Busy with work, house renovation planning and the birth of my son next month... :( :D

Yeah... I don't even have time to switch on my PC sometimes. :s22:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.