NUS - Data Science and Analytics

Marwin

Reaction score
Naise. But your batch will be quite different from ours ahaha.
Some modules also changed codes/levels (eg. CS1020 to CS1030 & CS1040 or MA1104 to a lvl 2 mod).

Oh, is it just a change in code or will the content also be different? The change will also affect all the other computing/math majors right?

mgx-alander

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i think the code change only applies for dsa majors

other majors are not impacted and still use the old codes

xWildFangz

Reaction score
Last edited:

NPNTBoy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh, is it just a change in code or will the content also be different? The change will also affect all the other computing/math majors right?

CS1010S will stay.

CS1020 will become CS2030(I heard 2030 is easier than 1020)
CS2010 will become CS2040

They made the jump from CS2030 to CS2040 significantly bigger than the jump from CS1020 to CS2010.

Fundamentally, you'll still be learning in Java.

I believe the content differs slightly as well. For example, they sacrificed a lot of algo in favour of teaching students more trivial stuffs such as reading huge chunks of codes.

xWildFangz

Reaction score
Does data analytics or business analytics have better career prospects generally?

I think both stands out in different aspects.
Data Analytics is more applicable to analyzing with Data Science and handling of Big Data so it's probably easier to find a job. Although I also personally feel that Data Science can be picked up by anyone as well.
Business Analytics is probably more in-depth with regards to marketing and businesses and also more focused on what can be used to their advantage in the short to mid term although projection to the long-term (analyzing trends with Data Science) is possible just not as important.
Of course, you will probably get better answers asking the profs because my answer (or any answer given here) will be subjective in some sense (since it's about our personal thoughts).

TabascoSauce

Master Member
Reaction score
Does data analytics or business analytics have better career prospects generally?

if u r refering to data sci in FOS vs biz analytics in SOC, then i think data sci is more advantages bcos of its more rigorous curriculum.

while business acumen is impt, it is something u can pick up on ur own or during ur initial career. dont waste ur modules on it.

mgx-alander

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
CS1010S will stay.

CS1020 will become CS2030(I heard 2030 is easier than 1020)
CS2010 will become CS2040

They made the jump from CS2030 to CS2040 significantly bigger than the jump from CS1020 to CS2010.

Fundamentally, you'll still be learning in Java.

I believe the content differs slightly as well. For example, they sacrificed a lot of algo in favour of teaching students more trivial stuffs such as reading huge chunks of codes.

lol u serious? y da **** they do that? then CS3230 how to survive :s22:

the grads recently (3years after i grad) really cmi in algo (from my exp with interns) pls dont kill it further

xWildFangz

Reaction score
lol u serious? y da **** they do that? then CS3230 how to survive :s22:

the grads recently (3years after i grad) really cmi in algo (from my exp with interns) pls dont kill it further

Meanwhile I'm sad cause I could have split my grades into two modules instead. Algo is currently the only mod I can score at, whilst my ST and MA modules are... RIP.

mgx-alander

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Meanwhile I'm sad cause I could have split my grades into two modules instead. Algo is currently the only mod I can score at, whilst my ST and MA modules are... RIP.

u can take the algorithm focus area, if u are good..

MA mods are ****, i nv gotten any above B-

ST mods :s22: i duno wat gotten into them to have CS students take 2131/2132, heng i only need 2334 :s13:

xWildFangz

Reaction score
u can take the algorithm focus area, if u are good..

MA mods are ****, i nv gotten any above B-

ST mods :s22: i duno wat gotten into them to have CS students take 2131/2132, heng i only need 2334 :s13:

The CS peeps I know are taking ST2334 though.
And I think only CS primary majors can opt for specializations under the 10 key focus areas. CS second majors do not need to take much level 3 mods, and zero level 4 mods unless we want to; so we don't have the options for focus areas.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.