Journey of 5 room SOBF renovation

humanrace

Reaction score
Hi Bros,
I've been benefiting from the other thread "how much you spend on your renovation" and decided to create a mini thread to share my journey.

To start off, I have gotten keys few months ago to a SOBF.. spent the last three months or so doing rectification with Hdb and now finally starting my renovation proper.

I will update this thread as the renovation progress. Please bear with me if there is a lack of updates. Cheers :)

humanrace

Reaction score
This is my floor plan.
Planning to spend $40k for the following renovation works (electrical, air conditioning, appliance not included)

1) lay homogenous tiles for living room
2) overlay MBR tiles (L Shape) shower area
3) overlay kitchen wall
4) false ceiling in living room + MBR
5) full height feature wall in living
6) full height shoe rack
7) kitchen cabinet
8) sliding wardrobe in room 2
9) casement wardrobe in MBR
10) both toilets vanity cabinet
lUyee8V.jpg

[

humanrace

Reaction score
I will first share the condition of the house and what defects identification. Really quite siong to mark out all the defects and consolidate into a list!

l3BngaO.jpg

P3dL4RM.jpg

ID99IJB.jpg
mJ2y1Cd.jpg

humanrace

Reaction score
This rectification was done over a period of 3 months.. really very very slow from Hdb. Who always says their contractor is busy.

svSwBiL.jpg

puEXO6y.jpg

I eventually managed to get Hdb to hack away the tiles. Don't ask me how... :s13:

t0qe4hB.jpg

eyz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
why can't the contractor just do it right the first time?

do they get extra money for the rectification work?

humanrace

Reaction score
why can't the contractor just do it right the first time?

do they get extra money for the rectification work?

I would suppose so because they are on per job basis. I saw their work chit before. Every job has certain defect to rectify and they use different contractor for flooring, plumbing and window works.

humanrace

Reaction score
pDDo3jF.jpg

Debris removed. Note that skirting is also removed. I wanted to to tiles skirting on my own.

humanrace

Reaction score
Some chips on the main door. HDB is nice enough to allow me to rectify after I do my own tiling. If not there will be risk by my own flooring works..
fWV4knf.jpg

humanrace

Reaction score
Next is the choice between ID and contractors.
Since we already know what is our design concept and theme, it is natural that I wanted to go with a contractor to save on the costs.

After looking up a few contractors for separate quotes, I realised that there more to just design and concept in employing an ID. Coordination work, suggestions on kitchen layout, hood size, bed size, allowances to leave for air condition for the false ceiling... a whole lot more! Then we decided we might as well spend that few thousand more for these works and proposals....

ID Search:
Qanvast - 5 quotes (met 3)
Relative/friends recommendation (met 2)

I will not list the ID firms here but can tell you guys that I did not go with the Qanvast recommendations. Eventually went with a referral from friend/relative.
Will not disclose it until the completion of the works to provide a complete comment on this. So far, everything seem smooth, easy communication.

humanrace

Reaction score
Tiles selection with ID. Selected these few

Living room
rfxRahw.jpg

Bathroom L Shape overlay
hL9l9EY.jpg

Kitchen wall overlay
eGfcCkG.jpg

suodrops

Reaction score
How long was the SOBF flat left unoccupied ?

3 months to rectify...is really long. Is it because there is already no more building services center around ?

humanrace

Reaction score
How long was the SOBF flat left unoccupied ?

3 months to rectify...is really long. Is it because there is already no more building services center around ?

Left uncoupled for 4 years? I think about there... you are right. Need to go direct to HDB branch and start rectification by queue number!

suodrops

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! I can try to *guess* why HDB helped hack the tiles :)

Looking forward to more of your updates.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.