Ipoh my home town :)

tongkualongan

Reaction score
Can somebuttie advise

The only way to get from Medan Gopeng bas terminal from Ipoh airport is via taxi only??
Thanks

Hi Addict951,

I am afraid yes, only taxis. the public transport system is not very good in Ipoh. Nowadays, there is grab also in Ipoh that you can try.

Btw, medan gopeng is no longer a bus terminal, it has moved to Aman Jaya which is 30 minutes away from medan gopeng.

Just another fyi, Medan Gopeng to Airport is just a 5 minutes drive, but Aman Jaya bus to airport is 30 minutes at least.

We do provide transfer at reasonable rate if you like :)

cheers,
Raythetour
Friend First, Tourist 2nd

neanea

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi, can I know where to book a train ticket from Ipoh to sg? I went KTM website nothing comes up and air ticket is too expensive :(

joeey

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, can I know where to book a train ticket from Ipoh to sg? I went KTM website nothing comes up and air ticket is too expensive :(
There isnt direct train from.ipoh to sg if i rem.. need to interchange at kl

neanea

Master Member
Reaction score
are these at old town area?

Frequent traveller to Ipoh simply because I love the place and the food (Am a Singaporean). Quiet and peaceful, safe to walk in the streets. People are generally friendly.

Personally would prefer to go to Ipoh via night bus that departs 10/10.30pm from Larkin. Usually reach around 5-6am then I will cab to Ming Court for old school HK-style tim sum, you might even have to share a table with other diners if they get really busy. After tim sum will go to hotel to leave my luggage, then head to old town area for satay, sa-hor-fun and kopi + egg on bread. roam around and eat as I go. Salt-bake chicken is one of my fav must eat as well as pomelo (if in season). Shopping is very much like JB shopping centre. I go there to eat and chill more than I shop. Can spend some time watching movie also. Though their soy bean is a must drink, I find the one mixed with grass jelly is better. A corner away from the soy bean stall is those brewed herbal tea, one of my favs too. I simply walk all over the town area to where I want to go (10-40mins), munching as I go.

Don't see a need to visit cafes when we have plenty in SG, Ipoh is like the old SG. Take it slow and easy and enjoy the sights. Many old folks doing their crafts in even older shops. It's quite a sight.

neanea

Master Member
Reaction score
do we need to book hotel in advance or just go to the hotel and book when reached?

tongkualongan

Reaction score
Ming Court dim sum is in new town area - just opposite Excelsior Hotel. I have listed all hotels in new town here :

New Town Recommended Hotels

satay, sa-hor-fun and kopi + egg on bread. roam around and eat as I go. - old town

Shopping is very much like JB shopping centre - new town ( Parkson, Ipoh Parade)

their soy bean is a must drink -new town

btw, old town and new town is divided by the river, just a 5 minutes drive between the two :)

Oh you can also check out my blog about recommended hotels in Ipoh based on Area.
Recommended Hotels

and yes, please book hotel in advance as Ipoh is getting more popular over the weekend as tourist from other Malaysian States come and visit.

When in doubt, travel !
Raythetour

Last edited:

tongkualongan

Reaction score
Ipoh or penang for cheap food and light shopping.

I lived in Penang for 1.5 years and Ipoh for 18 years.

I think the price is about the same for noodles ( MYR 5 - 7 )
but the Penang food portion is smaller than Ipoh.

Penang is better in Cha Keow Teau and hokkien noodles/prawn noodles .

Ipoh is better at soup Keow Teau , yong liew and nga choy kai.

As I don't really shop I think shopping is about the same nowadays with every major brands in every corner of civilisation.

The interesting scene would be "Pasar Malam" Night Market where you can shop for cheap stuff and really delicious street food. ( Ipoh has it every day at different location)

I think for Penang street side shopping would be around Ayer Hitam leading to Kek Lok Si temple and Batu Ferringhi area (but more commercialized)

If time is no restriction, I would say go both :)

Hope this helps!

When in doubt, travel !
Raythetour

Hanwudi

Reaction score
Where is the "Pasar Malam" Night Market located on a Wednesday and Thursday night? Will be staying near old town or Ipoh Parade area.

I lived in Penang for 1.5 years and Ipoh for 18 years.

I think the price is about the same for noodles ( MYR 5 - 7 )
but the Penang food portion is smaller than Ipoh.

Penang is better in Cha Keow Teau and hokkien noodles/prawn noodles .

Ipoh is better at soup Keow Teau , yong liew and nga choy kai.

As I don't really shop I think shopping is about the same nowadays with every major brands in every corner of civilisation.

The interesting scene would be "Pasar Malam" Night Market where you can shop for cheap stuff and really delicious street food. ( Ipoh has it every day at different location)

I think for Penang street side shopping would be around Ayer Hitam leading to Kek Lok Si temple and Batu Ferringhi area (but more commercialized)

If time is no restriction, I would say go both :)

Hope this helps!

When in doubt, travel !
Raythetour

OurLittleSmarties

Reaction score
The Haven Resort Hotel Ipoh

My hometown is in Ipoh and I usually go back once a year to visit my parents. This year, I've decided to stay at The Haven Resort Hotel Ipoh. Wow, it was such a beautiful resort. Highly recommend it if you're looking for a luxury resort to stay in Ipoh.

The suite is very spacious, suitable for families - especially with kids. Some pics to share:

Our 2+1 Bedroom Suite
34217382104_73de7aa65b_b.jpg

Their signature sea-horse shaped pool
34217383684_f6053427e1_b.jpg

Surrounded by natural forest, lake and hills
35020964776_0244176c25_b.jpg

More review HERE. We paid about ~RM1K per night for a suite that accommodates 6 person. Overall, I still find that its reasonable given that it's 5-star.

beanstalk6

Reaction score
We were in Ipoh on Tuesday and my wife got her bag snatched by a man on a motorbike at the old part of town. Apply precautions if you are walking along the streets of Ipoh. Apparently many of the locals have been victims before.

neanea

Master Member
Reaction score
This really suxks! Which part of old town were you and what were you doing that time?

We were in Ipoh on Tuesday and my wife got her bag snatched by a man on a motorbike at the old part of town. Apply precautions if you are walking along the streets of Ipoh. Apparently many of the locals have been victims before.

beanstalk6

Reaction score
We were strolling on the main road near the Concubine lanes when that happened. The incident took place right in front of Plan B cafe.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.