[C]hEWy

Reaction score
Cheap & Not Bad..

3105EB94-6AB6-40B6-850D-B39C76212F41_zpsvxmtlei0.jpg

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Standard very high lol

I got one only and I suspect you all have drank it already. Nearer to the date I let you let know what I have in cellar.

oh the idea is that it's a blind tasting so we're not supposed to know the producer, vintage etc...

as long as it's an 08 gran reserva or older that qualifies. we usually wrap it up in foil and bring it to the dinner.

osamabear

Reaction score
Rioja is one of my favorite region. Find the wines there very value for money. Count me in!

For those who contacted me on being keen to join the next session in March, FYI it has been pushed to May as a number of us are in and out of Singapore.

In the meantime you should taste and buy more Rioja Gran Reservas to get a feel of the wine styles as that is the next theme. 2008 (or older) Rioja Gran Reserva Red Wines from Spain.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dexter71

Reaction score
oh the idea is that it's a blind tasting so we're not supposed to know the producer, vintage etc...

as long as it's an 08 gran reserva or older that qualifies. we usually wrap it up in foil and bring it to the dinner.

So ok to have duplicates I guess...because mine is a common everyday gran reserva:D

Joel_l

Reaction score
promisingly expensive. LOL seen it used before, but unless you really do have quite a substantial quality of wine, the value just don't add up.

I have always used a standard stopper on a bottle and left it in the fridge over a week, IMHO the bouquet might have dissipated but the wine itself has kept its body and structure, the tannins seem to have become soft, much more developed and round too...

BUT if you wanna sponsor.... THANK YOU!!

Dexter71

Reaction score

This is crimson coloured PN with the legs flowing fast after swirling. Good nose and it smells like peach blossom, rose and light toast. However this tastes like mushroom, forest floor, earthy notes but with fruits of plum and cranberry. The body is medium at best and easy drinking. Interesting it taste differently at different temp. It optimum at 16-18 degrees to me. The wine finishes short unfortunately and has medium acidity. 3 stars to me at best on 1st day.

But I got to upgrade this to 3.5 stars as if the wine develops more overnight after I vacu pumped it. Finish is much better and the earthy notes subsidies with fruits emerging thereafter.

Dexter71

Reaction score

Open this 2007 recently and had it decant for 90 mins. Dark rusty ruby in color with very aromatic nose of black berries plum and some spice. The viscosity is thick and the legs slow on the glass after swirling. The palate is rich and intense with massive liquorice chocolatey notes and spiciness coming together. Paired really well with my braised wagyu cheeks which is the big black bowl of goodness. At 10 years old this wine is prime time, smooth and elegant but finish was, surprising, not as long as per my expectations. Might need to reassess in my 2nd bottle down the road. As 2007 is top Veneto region vintage I have very high expectations.

Drink well Peeps!

Dexter71

Reaction score
then maybe u can bring something that's less 'every day'? :s12:

This is the only GRAN in my collection unfortunately..I have a famous label but it has no Gran nor Reserve on it label...Producer is "Victoria Secret"...Let me know if such stuff qualifies.:s13:

Dexter71

Reaction score

Another Amarone review here and this is one of the top labels Speri. This is ultra smooth Amarone that is at its prime drinking window. Straight from bottle to glass and nose wasn't as pronounce with slight brownish red colour tone not opaque. Taste wise its definitely rich tasting with loads of ripe black fruits accompanied by some peppery spice but not as intense or heavy from my expectations which is not an issue to me...velvety silky tannins and well balanced...my 3rd glass and it has evolved further to be more delicious (maybe my taste buds adjusted to it) and certainly more elegant but in a big way.

jarvis

Master Member
Reaction score
I find that generally for amarones, they need time to breath and open up. I love the amarones - just that they tend to be on the pricier side.

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What have you guys been drinking recently?

Anything new and interesting?

I had the second wine of Leoville Barton: 2010 La Réserve de Léoville Barton

definitely the ripeness of the vintage came through. this was ready to drink with loads of fruit and luxurious oak. Still young though and has a bit more to go as the 2nd half of the dinner it closed up a bit.

Dexter71

Reaction score
ikileo welcome back!

I have the Leoville Barton 2nd wine too but the 2008 vintage. Will report back once I tried it.

In the last 2 weeks I recently had the following

Telegraphe Vieux CDP 2000
Standish 2003
Sarget du Gruaud Larose 2006
MossWood Cab Sauv 2007
Zenato Amarone 2007

Except Sarget I enjoyed all of them. Sarget came short on the palate and finish. I am comparing Sarget to other Bordeaux 2nd wines and this one don't have the aromatic notes of ripe plums and fruits.

The CDP was fantastic and I was initially worried about its drinkability. Well integrated tannins and smooth with pronounced notes of berries, cedar and some spice.

Standish is a big bold shiraz and its rich and intense on the palate and nose. Viscosity was slow too post swirling and alcoholic mouthful. Long and lasting finish.

MossWood...I had high expectations on this one and was bench marking it against Cullen Madeline 2007. Between these two, I put my money on Moss as it is almost Bordeaux like whereas Cullen has a much tamer palate and finish. Goes real well with my blue cheese on that night. In fact I just grabbed a couple of 2008 MW for me to savour on another occasion.

Lastly the star from Veneto Italy. I think the ABV for this is 16.5% but it sure don't taste like it. Nice perfumed nose hinting the greatness of the Amarone mix. Rich mouthful of dark berries, chocolate, licorice but not at the point of syrupy at all. I don't regret blind buying a couple of these babies. To me this is a touch better than Masi Riserva.

Dexter71

Reaction score
How could I forget this 96 RP MollyDooker Enchanted Love 2005 in the above narration!

mollydooker-enchanted-path-shiraz-cabernet-sauvignon-mclaren-vale-australia-10261208.jpg

"I am intrigued as I approached this opaque red with very alcoholic aromatic nose wine in a recent dinner. First impression is good as we pour this straight from a magnum with heightened anticipation given there is a 99 pointer Shiraz in the competition. Deep mouthful of ripe sweet berries, plum and mocha notes hits me. Wine is rather poised and not overly bold and crude. Good blend of shiraz with cab and certainly both varietals comes together in harmony. Finish with sweet and long. Must buy in my books!"

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.