NIE admission anyone? - Part 2

justintbq

Reaction score
that's the sickening part. minimum contract teaching requirement is 6 months. & the only NIE intake is in december.

argh.. went for interview 13 april, emailed them & they replied that i shld get a response by the end of the week. nerve wrecking week.

Lovely18lovely

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies! Oh no, I would need to serve notice in my current company. (63:: it'/ quite impossible to make it for Dec NIE intake then.

Anybody got any idea about ELEPT? What are the chances of passing it?
Started untrained teaching contract in august. Can only enter nie this dec.

avocadocats

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies! Oh no, I would need to serve notice in my current company. (63:: it'/ quite impossible to make it for Dec NIE intake then.

Anybody got any idea about ELEPT? What are the chances of passing it?

Hello there! I've been looking for people to answer this question of yours before I took my test but I couldn't find any so time for me to share my experience to those wondering!

I took my ELEPT last month, 25th April, just received my statement of results today, 16th May.

For ELEPT, refer to the sample paper on the website, it is quite similar to the actual day.

For the Written component, we had 2 essays to write. One of which was a news article targeted to a certain audience, and the other was an essay about undergraduates posting negative feedback about their university on social media. Found the topics rather difficult and unexpected, but I'd suggest just studying the writing formats and manage your time well for the written papers.

As for the Spoken Component, we had to read up a passage and prepare for our monologue, we have 5mins to sit outside to prepare before we go in to see the invigilator who would record our entire time there. For this, just speak loudly and clearly, pace yourself well and avoid going out of topic.

No idea what are the chances of passing it but as bad as I felt after the exam, I managed to pass so just be calm and prepare ahead! :)

All the best to those taking their ELEPT soon!

Faithintomorrow

Reaction score

Me too.. 😞 But I've heard of ppl who did less than half a year of contract and they were squeezed into the nie intake. So I Guess it depends on the cohort space availability and Teachers demand? And also your contract school if they think u are ready..

Faithintomorrow

Reaction score
Thank you for the detailed reply! I heard most people pass.. Anyone failed or heard of others who failed?

Hello there! I've been looking for people to answer this question of yours before I took my test but I couldn't find any so time for me to share my experience to those wondering!

I took my ELEPT last month, 25th April, just received my statement of results today, 16th May.

For ELEPT, refer to the sample paper on the website, it is quite similar to the actual day.

For the Written component, we had 2 essays to write. One of which was a news article targeted to a certain audience, and the other was an essay about undergraduates posting negative feedback about their university on social media. Found the topics rather difficult and unexpected, but I'd suggest just studying the writing formats and manage your time well for the written papers.

As for the Spoken Component, we had to read up a passage and prepare for our monologue, we have 5mins to sit outside to prepare before we go in to see the invigilator who would record our entire time there. For this, just speak loudly and clearly, pace yourself well and avoid going out of topic.

No idea what are the chances of passing it but as bad as I felt after the exam, I managed to pass so just be calm and prepare ahead! :)

All the best to those taking their ELEPT soon!

Last edited:

BRILLANTE

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been following this thread for quite some time but haven't got a reason to sign up for an account... Would just like to share my timeline and also to check if anyone else is in the same predicament as me.

Applied last year October 31, 2016
Asked to attend interview on April 12, 2017
Went for interview for Art (Primary) on April 17
Exempted (surprisingly) from Art Assessment, which was supposed to be on May 3.
This morning, Careers@Gov status changed from "In Progress" to "Shortlisted".

My question is, what does this "Shortlisted" mean? I've read somewhere in the thread that it could mean that my interview went through. Also, a question I bet everyone is probably asking too, when will they finally get back to us~?

yisissi

Reaction score
Hi! I have the same situation as you. My application status also became shortlisted but I have yet heard anything from MOE. I think what "shortlisted " means is that you are deemed suitable for the position, but you are still in competition with other shortlisted candidates for the position. I'm not sure if I'm right.

Hello all,

I've been following this thread for quite some time but haven't got a reason to sign up for an account... Would just like to share my timeline and also to check if anyone else is in the same predicament as me.

My question is, what does this "Shortlisted" mean? I've read somewhere in the thread that it could mean that my interview went through. Also, a question I bet everyone is probably asking too, when will they finally get back to us~?

yisissi

Reaction score
I could also mean shortlisted for interview.

Hello all,

fire4god

Reaction score
If you've already gone for the interview, then just wait for an email. You should receive an email very soon stating that you're now shortlisted for employment.

The wait time varies. My interview was last August. Some time after that, I received an email stating I was shortlisted for employment. It was only a couple of weeks ago that I was sent an email stating that MOE is offering me a position.

My advice is to email them if you do not receive any email within the next two weeks. They are probably just very busy and swamped with a lot of applicants and they may have overlooked your pending application.

Hello all,

fire4god

Reaction score
Yes you are right. If you've received the email stating you're shortlisted for employment, you'll also notice that MOE states that "your application will be considered in competition with other candidates shortlisted for employment".

At this stage, there's nothing to do but wait. My advice would also be to email them every few weeks. I emailed them every 2 months or so to ask for updates. If they are going to reject you, I've heard that they usually do so very quickly.

Hi! I have the same situation as you. My application status also became shortlisted but I have yet heard anything from MOE. I think what "shortlisted " means is that you are deemed suitable for the position, but you are still in competition with other shortlisted candidates for the position. I'm not sure if I'm right.

huangsandra

Reaction score
I applied PGDE for about 6 times, got one time interview but failed. Now I am doing marketing related job but I like teaching and hope can work with children. Some of my friends suggest me that I can teach in tuition center first but in tuition center your pay is low and sometimes working time is from afternoon to evening, I don't want to choose that job. So can anyone give me some suggestions how to improve myself to pass the MOE's interview. Thanks! I also applied full fee PGDE but no information updated now.

snowie29

Reaction score
If you've already gone for the interview, then just wait for an email. You should receive an email very soon stating that you're now shortlisted for employment.

The wait time varies. My interview was last August. Some time after that, I received an email stating I was shortlisted for employment. It was only a couple of weeks ago that I was sent an email stating that MOE is offering me a position.

My advice is to email them if you do not receive any email within the next two weeks. They are probably just very busy and swamped with a lot of applicants and they may have overlooked your pending application.

Congrats on getting the offer! Are you starting on 19th june? :)

snowie29

Reaction score
Thank you! Yes I am starting on 19th June. The first week will be some sort of workshop before being deployed into a school for contract teaching. :)

Have you attended the appointment briefing? Mind sharing what to expect and the dress code? :)

rosypenguin

Reaction score
Hi all
To those who need to take ELPT on 23 May. Did you all receive any confirmation email on the details of the test ?
I sent the cheque for the test thru ibanking last wed and didn't receive any info on the test since.

Faithintomorrow

Reaction score
Hi all
To those who need to take ELPT on 23 May. Did you all receive any confirmation email on the details of the test ?
I sent the cheque for the test thru ibanking last wed and didn't receive any info on the test since.

I emailed them after sending the ibanking cheque last night and they replied me this morning.

Faithintomorrow

Reaction score
Does anyone know how Long you have to wait after the ELEPT for confirmation? Does it means if you pass it, u will get employed or still only just shortlisted?

Toffeenut5

Reaction score
Hi, did you have to go for the music audition before being accepted? Does it mean that not being called up to go for the music audition means definitely rejected?

hi all,

all the best to those who are going through the interview/waiting period!

i applied last year for October 2016 intake and am assuming duty on 19 June this year (been a long wait, haha). i was shortlisted to teach music (primary), so just thought of shouting out to any PGDE music primary teachers who have already assumed duty... how can i prepare myself best during this period before i start work? :)

thank you!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.