EDMW Knife Collectors

Stevejobless

Reaction score
how is the performance so far? I read that Kurosaki's grinds were thick and there was some stiction but I love R2 powder. Do you have a bigger detailed pic of the bolster material? what is it? pakkawood? horn? or dyed rosewood?

it looks nice, I like the way he does the hammer finish.

Thank you. It is excellent. With Kurosakis, judging the performance of the grind by looking at the choil is misleading. The knife is much thicker there. This one has good grind. Thin, nice distal taper. No wedging. I finish on shapton 5K. The slicing performance on foods like tomatoes is effortless. R2 also maintains its aggressive toothiness well despite the high grit finish. The bolster is some lighter tone of wood or maybe bamboo not sure.

Rock-kun

Reaction score
By the way, does anyone know if Buck has a local distributor here? I want to add a number of Rivals, Fluids, Bantams and QuickFires to my collection but no reseller I know stocks them.

Shikiwaru

Master Member
Reaction score
By the way, does anyone know if Buck has a local distributor here? I want to add a number of Rivals, Fluids, Bantams and QuickFires to my collection but no reseller I know stocks them.

nalno.com does carry a good selection of Bucks, but I'm not sure if they're considered our local distributor.

TheBUSTED

Reaction score
SCAM ALERT

Hi guys, it's been awhile since I've posted and I'm only doing so because there is a guy in Singapore who is going around scamming people of knives/money and I hope maybe someone here has dealt with him before or even knows who he is.

The individual goes by the name of Ryan Toh and his IG account is rtxw.dir.

The 2 individuals he scammed are: alexti7007 and jm_knives

He was supposed to trade his Curry Ronin for Alex's ZERO Habu. Alex honoured his side of the deal but Ryan did not.

So if you come across a ZERO Habu for sale/trade or you know who Ryan is, please do let Alex know and hopefully we can make things right.

It is already difficult enough to collect knives here so let's not let one teenager ruin it for all of us.

Shikiwaru

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, it's been awhile since I've posted and I'm only doing so because there is a guy in Singapore who is going around scamming people of knives/money and I hope maybe someone here has dealt with him before or even knows who he is.

The individual goes by the name of Ryan Toh and his IG account is rtxw.dir.

The 2 individuals he scammed are: alexti7007 and jm_knives

He was supposed to trade his Curry Ronin for Alex's ZERO Habu. Alex honoured his side of the deal but Ryan did not.

So if you come across a ZERO Habu for sale/trade or you know who Ryan is, please do let Alex know and hopefully we can make things right.

It is already difficult enough to collect knives here so let's not let one teenager ruin it for all of us.

Yeah I saw that post... IIRC there was also some moron who tried to call Medford and scam some knives.

Stop giving SG collectors a bad rep. We're fortunate enough not to have garbage laws like Australia or UK, so don't make sellers blacklist SG.

I don't want to start a witchhunt, but there's a guy with the same name rtxw.dir on Carousell.

Also, after some CSI, I'm sure he goes by a different name here and account is apparently active. But then again, I don't want to start a witchhunt. This dude has a history of scamming people, not just knives but watches too.

Last edited:

trashley

Reaction score
Sharing my love for kitchen knives here

xUMjQxZ.jpg

Akifusa Wa-gyuto 210mm ao#2 core with kurouchi-tsuchime finishing

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Sharing my love for kitchen knives here

xUMjQxZ.jpg

Akifusa Wa-gyuto 210mm ao#2 core with kurouchi-tsuchime finishing

Looks well used, as it should be. Is the primary grind a hollow grind? (it looks that way from the pics) - that would be unusual, normally it's flat or slightly convexed if it's double ground and not chisel.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Yeah I saw that post... IIRC there was also some moron who tried to call Medford and scam some knives.

Stop giving SG collectors a bad rep. We're fortunate enough not to have garbage laws like Australia or UK, so don't make sellers blacklist SG.

I don't want to start a witchhunt, but there's a guy with the same name rtxw.dir on Carousell.

Also, after some CSI, I'm sure he goes by a different name here and account is apparently active. But then again, I don't want to start a witchhunt. This dude has a history of scamming people, not just knives but watches too.

where's the thread on what happened - Can someone explain what's happening.

Last edited:

trashley

Reaction score
Looks well used, as it should be. Is the primary grind a hollow grind? (it looks that way from the pics) - that would be unusual, normally it's flat or slightly convexed if it's double ground and not chisel.

Haha. It's new and the grind is flat. The lighting made it look concaved.

I blame it on my photography skills.

deadjr

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am looking to buy some sharpening stones to kick-start a "sub-hobby". Personally I find sharpening knives something very pleasurable. I personally do a little leather work and I have some knives that I need to keep them sharp. I do strop them every few cuts I make with leather and green compound.

I previously bought a 1000/3000 grit stone on taobao when I first learned to sharpen. They works well, able to keep them sharp but the stone wears off pretty fast. Can be fixed with a lapping disc which I haven't own one yet.

I would like to looking to buying something better to take it another level. I would to seek some fellow knives hobbyist advice on what stones are reputable and value for money. I am looking for a medium stone probably between 1000-2000 grit and also a finishing stone 5000-8000 grit. I would prefer waterstone.

I have some options in mind perhaps I can seek some opinions. All in all I hope to keep it under 100-150 tops for now.

1) King 1000/6000 combination KDS model $55USD or the normal $29USD. KDS is almost twice the price but heard is better for harder metal. I think king stones can also be bought seperately instead of having combination. I am okay with both. I have some M390, jap carbon steel to work on. I also owned a kershaw skyline which I use it quite often day to day.

2) Shapton 1000 and 5000 this is probably most value for money based on the price check i have done. Taobao has some good price for these from decently reputable shops. So far I think they can be gotta both plus a lapping disc for about $100sgd.

3) Naniwa 1000 and maybe 北山 8000 or something else. This brand has really good reviews online but I am not sure if they are really worth the money ? 1000 itself probably would set me back about $70-80SGD? I am not sure.

Feel free to feed me some advice. Thanks in advance to the experienced brothers/sisters here.

mamba2012

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am looking to buy some sharpening stones to kick-start a "sub-hobby". Personally I find sharpening knives something very pleasurable. I personally do a little leather work and I have some knives that I need to keep them sharp. I do strop them every few cuts I make with leather and green compound.

I previously bought a 1000/3000 grit stone on taobao when I first learned to sharpen. They works well, able to keep them sharp but the stone wears off pretty fast. Can be fixed with a lapping disc which I haven't own one yet.

I would like to looking to buying something better to take it another level. I would to seek some fellow knives hobbyist advice on what stones are reputable and value for money. I am looking for a medium stone probably between 1000-2000 grit and also a finishing stone 5000-8000 grit. I would prefer waterstone.

I have some options in mind perhaps I can seek some opinions. All in all I hope to keep it under 100-150 tops for now.

1) King 1000/6000 combination KDS model $55USD or the normal $29USD. KDS is almost twice the price but heard is better for harder metal. I think king stones can also be bought seperately instead of having combination. I am okay with both. I have some M390, jap carbon steel to work on. I also owned a kershaw skyline which I use it quite often day to day.

2) Shapton 1000 and 5000 this is probably most value for money based on the price check i have done. Taobao has some good price for these from decently reputable shops. So far I think they can be gotta both plus a lapping disc for about $100sgd.

3) Naniwa 1000 and maybe 北山 8000 or something else. This brand has really good reviews online but I am not sure if they are really worth the money ? 1000 itself probably would set me back about $70-80SGD? I am not sure.

Feel free to feed me some advice. Thanks in advance to the experienced brothers/sisters here.

I prefer shaptons to naniwas (have not had experience with King or other brands) as they cut really well and don't gouge as easily as naniwas. I'm guessing that this is due to the adhesive matrix.

Dropped u a pm.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
one of the members sharpens knives for a living. you should ask him if he wants to post here publicly.

naniwa makes different lines of stones, including the choseras which are highly regarded. After experimenting with the naniwa superstones, I am with mamba, they're too gummy and soft (the matrix) and they dish easily, especially for lower grits. For the higher grits - 5000/10000 they're actually quite nice and put a nice polish. They're great for carbon steel blades but not so much for high vanadium steels. M390 is ok steel, not quite ZDP or S90V so they may work.

but naniwa's choseras are better regarded, they're more expensive too. I've never tried them but everyone loves them. I've only used the naniwa 2000 green brick of joy, I love it, the feedback is nice but it is softer and it is also more suitable for lower vanadium steels IMO.

I'm using shapton pros right now. as they say in localspeak - no complaints! :s13:

Although we may say that certain stones are blah blah, I think technique and the use of slurry affects it. I don't see togishis in Japan using anything but waterstones (no diamonds) when sharpening high vanadium steels like ZDP. And the knives are ground using a waterwheel and not a belt sander either.

Have fun with the sharpening...I hope the experienced sharpeners chime in.

ps: I find it therapeutic too, much cheaper than watching a movie.

noinimod

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any kind bros can recommend a way to get in knives from amazon? Freight forwarders don't ship this right? How do you guys import your knives in? :)

mamba2012

Reaction score
Any kind bros can recommend a way to get in knives from amazon? Freight forwarders don't ship this right? How do you guys import your knives in? :)

Replied via pm. Just some additional background... Collectors here are more skeptical because we've shared how we ship /get certain knives, only to be screwed by the local distributors here.

I'm not saying they are all bad, but the 1 or 2 scumbags really ruin the mood.

Could you share a little more about what kind of knife you'll be bringing in? Is it a fixed blade, a folder?

deadjr

Reaction score

Decided on a king deluxe 1000 and a rika 5000. Thanks all anyway.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.