Wine

kunzzy

Reaction score
17621739_10155420109081412_7026741130507635404_o.jpg

Had a 85 tasting recently....Good stuff.....Mouton rothschild was killer but Leoville las cases was just as good...big and powerful...La lagune won the most value for money wine....

Joel_l

Reaction score
What have you guys been drinking recently?

Anything new and interesting?

I had the second wine of Leoville Barton: 2010 La Réserve de Léoville Barton

definitely the ripeness of the vintage came through. this was ready to drink with loads of fruit and luxurious oak. Still young though and has a bit more to go as the 2nd half of the dinner it closed up a bit.

Yea i had that a while back too.. the tannins are firm but the fruits and notes have all come through.. I would give it a few more years for more development and more integration in the bottle...

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
last week we had the hwz wine dinner at New Ubin Seafood.
The theme was Spanish red wines from Rioja region. They must be Gran Reserva and at least 10 years old. All served blind. It was very interesting to taste the same wines but from different vintages so see how they have aged.

We opened with a Cava (spanish sparkling), a white Rioja and ended with 2 dry Sherrys.

20170520_213913_zpsnnztdt5k.jpg

From L-R
2004 Mestres Clos Nostre Senyor Cava Brut Nature Gran Reserva Premium (Cava)
2005 R. López de Heredia Rioja Blanco Viña Gravonia (White)

RED WINES
2005 La Rioja Alta Rioja Gran Reserva 904
2001 La Rioja Alta Rioja Gran Reserva 904
2009 Campo Viejo Rioja Gran Reserva
2004 Faustino Rioja I Gran Reserva
2005 C.V.N.E. (Compañía Vinícola del Norte de España) Rioja Imperial Gran Reserva
2001 Faustino Rioja I Gran Reserva

SHERRY
NV Emilio Lustau Manzanilla Papirusa
NV Emilio Lustau Jerez-Xérès-Sherry Fino Jarana

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
in tokyo now for holiday.

Went to a diff wine place for the first 2 nights.

Night 1:

AHIRU STORE
What is it? A small wine bar and kitchen with about 10 seats by the counter and maybe another 8 standing spaces. It has amassed a following and there is a queue every night. I queued for about 35mins before getting in.

All wines are focused on natural wines. Changes frequetly and they're more than happy to provide recommendations.

Food is quite international but with Japanese influences; all super fresh and cooked to order. They bake their own breads as well so their bread selections to go with their cold cuts are super good. Virtually everything is house made. Super casual and you immediately feel at home even though I was the only non japanese.

Read more: http://www.ieateverywhere.com/2013/03/the-amazing-ahiru-store-in-tokyo.html

NPNT LEH
20170525_225232_zpsyza3ritl.jpg

Crowded interior. All japanese menu but you can navigate with a bit of english and japanese.

20170525_212535_zpsvc7yizue.jpg

Opening drink. Sparkling Rose from Loire. Blend of Cot (aka Malbec), Gamay & Grolleau

20170525_213307_zpslwslbzt1.jpg

Paired the sparkling rose with their incredibly delicious Octopus & Avocado Salad in a killer dressing.

THEN DAMAGE HOW?
2 Glasses of wine + Octopus Avocado Dish + Main Course = $60SGD NET

I met with 2 guys from Sapporo by the bar and they offered me another 2 glasses of wine from their bottle :)

WOULD YOU GO BACK AGAIN?
Heck yes...

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Night 2:

BOUTEILLE WINE STAND
What is it? A an even smaller standing wine bar in the back alleys of Shibuya. I chanced upon this place 3 years ago and now i'm back! It's a long a row of extremely tiny shops; think 2m x 2m. Literally.

Everything is served by the glass and the bottles change everyday. Heck when I was there cos I was trying so many stuff, the menu changed the night itself as the owner brought out more stuff. Again a very chill and relaxed vibe where you can chat with the owner and the other customers. Again i was the only non-japanese.

Read more: http://www.wineterroirs.com/2015/12/a_few_drinking_spots_in_tokyo.html

NPNT LEH
20170526_203834_zpsuyqig4ao.jpg

Tiny interior. Menu is written on the black panel on the left.

20170526_211703_zpsojjlbrpq.jpg

My fave pour that night. Animus Pinot Noir from the Martinborough region in NZ. Martinborough is famous for their pinots.

THEN DAMAGE HOW?
I planned to just have 2 glasses, but ended up having 5. Some premium stuff too. Total = $60SGD NET

WOULD YOU GO BACK AGAIN?
This was my second time. Yes there will be a third.

Overall what i enjoyed about both places is that wine is very casually enjoyed. There are no airs about the place. it's super relaxed and people just wanting to enjoy their evening.

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Dexter71

Reaction score
wine storage

Bros

Anyone maintains an offsite cellaring facility ?

I am considering Cru world (charged on a per bottle basis) and a flat charge provider. Currently i have max 60 to deposit. They are mainly young vintages.

Option A CRU

35cents per month per bottle
35cents charge per bottle for deposits
35cents charge per bottle for withdraw
25$ for pick up and delivery for a case of 12
One day notice for pick up and delivery in lots of 12.

Option B Richfield

$592 for a locker size for 1 year contract
capacity is 144 bottles
9am to 9pm access 7 days a week

I am leaning towards A assuming I withdraw 2-3 times a year.

Keen to know if anyone cellar their wines with Cru World and like to have your feedback.

Thx

Dexter71

Reaction score
Hope all is drinking well and eating fine...Recent drinks from me to report in...got too many actually haha

The Biondi even though a 2nd label in a good vintage felt short in terms of palate and finish. I suspect for Rosso Montalcino it is best within 5 years from release.

The Rioja GR is a surprise here with big bouquet balanced taste and good long finish. Really good for a boutique producer.

The Chablis is easy drinking very high QPR that pairs very well with my Japanese omakase front dishes of swordfish, abalone, oysters, crab cake etc YUMs!

The white burg did not lose out as well even though its a regional appellation and not 1er or GC status. Nutty and smooth plus rich as well. Great entry level from Puligny Montrachet!

Last but not least we have the De La Janaesse Cote Du Rhone blanc that is supremely elegant and medium bodied blend of grenache, vioginer etc This is a really solid stuff for daily casual drink versus the more expensive higher grade CDP Blanc.

hsiaowen

Reaction score
Wah good recommendation, Will check it out next time i go there.

Night 1:

AHIRU STORE
What is it? A small wine bar and kitchen with about 10 seats by the counter and maybe another 8 standing spaces. It has amassed a following and there is a queue every night. I queued for about 35mins before getting in.

All wines are focused on natural wines. Changes frequetly and they're more than happy to provide recommendations.

Food is quite international but with Japanese influences; all super fresh and cooked to order. They bake their own breads as well so their bread selections to go with their cold cuts are super good. Virtually everything is house made. Super casual and you immediately feel at home even though I was the only non japanese.

Read more: http://www.ieateverywhere.com/2013/03/the-amazing-ahiru-store-in-tokyo.html

NPNT LEH
20170525_225232_zpsyza3ritl.jpg

Crowded interior. All japanese menu but you can navigate with a bit of english and japanese.

20170525_212535_zpsvc7yizue.jpg

Opening drink. Sparkling Rose from Loire. Blend of Cot (aka Malbec), Gamay & Grolleau

20170525_213307_zpslwslbzt1.jpg

Paired the sparkling rose with their incredibly delicious Octopus & Avocado Salad in a killer dressing.

THEN DAMAGE HOW?
2 Glasses of wine + Octopus Avocado Dish + Main Course = $60SGD NET

I met with 2 guys from Sapporo by the bar and they offered me another 2 glasses of wine from their bottle :)

WOULD YOU GO BACK AGAIN?
Heck yes...

hacksaw333

Reaction score
if looking for good Sauvignon Blanc, definitely Cloudy Bay. The NZ ones seems to be better. Can get a bottle over at Bottles & bottles for around $43

J0ANN3

Reaction score
Electric Wine Opener

shopee.sg/ELECTRIC-WINE-OPENER-i.8157569.501500897

No idea what Xmas gift to buy for your boss ?!

☆ ELECTRIC WINE OPENER ☆

A Perfect Classy Gift & Necessity for Wine Lovers!!!

♡ Easy to use - Simple push button
♡ Battery-Operated
♡ Removes cork in seconds
♡ Sleek & Sophiscated Design - Elegant blue LED indicator light
♡ Durable and Quality Electric Wine Opener - Made from Aluminium, unlike those lightweight plastic-looking cheap goods

How to use the electric wine opener?
1. Make sure batteries are correctly inserted
2. Remove foil seal.
3. Place the wine opener on top with the spiral cockscrew in the centre of the cork, making sure it remains in an upright position
4. Press and hold the lower part of the switch to start. The corkscrew spiral will turn to enter the cork, gradually removing the cork from the bottle. Stop once the cork has been fully removed from the bottle
5. Lift the electric wine opener away from the bottle and remove the cork by pressing the upper part of the switch.

Note:
* 4 x AA Batteries or rechargeable Batteries required (Not included)

Package includes:
1* Electric Wine Opener
1* Foil Cutter
1* Instruction Manual

[C]hEWy

Reaction score
Any recommendations for sparkling / cava that is really cheap and good? For party usage.. Thanks in advance

alpc

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone knows but I am trying to remember the name and company for a wine I first had at least 15 years ago. This is a sweet white wine that comes from Israel. I can only vaguely remember it should be a Carmel and David somewhere in the name or vineyard.

I did some google but just could not find it online. Anyone has heard or drank of that wine before?

susan_snowrain

Reaction score
Hi,
Can recommend sweet red wines. Tried brown brothers cienna and thought it was great. Would love to try other sweet reds.

Thanks.

jarvis

Master Member
Reaction score
if you're talking about desert wine type of sweet then try the reciotos... no particular vineyard in mind

personally, if i'm going that sweet, i'd just have a glass of port (with some blue cheese)

seianko

Suspended
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone knows but I am trying to remember the name and company for a wine I first had at least 15 years ago. This is a sweet white wine that comes from Israel. I can only vaguely remember it should be a Carmel and David somewhere in the name or vineyard.

I did some google but just could not find it online. Anyone has heard or drank of that wine before?
have u seen this article?
http://www.thetower.org/article/thirteen-israeli-wines-that-will-change-your-worldview/

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.