AFTERSHOCK PC - Now featuring Nvidia 10 series graphics cards!

TheOutsider

Reaction score
So just to confirm, the 120hz monitor upgrade for the Prime 15 is an IPS Panel?

Got an email from customer support that it was, but I was reading a few conflicting reports that it was running a TN panel.

I asked them before too. They said 120Hz is IPS but also read those reporting that the 120Hz panel is TN. Anyway, why 120Hz panel on GTX1060? High end games will probably only do 120 running at medium settings.

Last edited:

chiaRH

Reaction score
last time i checked all the 120hz panels were still TN, dunno if theres any new IPS screens with 120hz yet.

I guess if you can determine what model of display you have (probably use HWinfo or something to check) you can google it and verify if it is really IPS

TheOutsider

Reaction score
last time i checked all the 120hz panels were still TN, dunno if theres any new IPS screens with 120hz yet.

I guess if you can determine what model of display you have (probably use HWinfo or something to check) you can google it and verify if it is really IPS

Want to know whether it's IPS, for the most case just flip the display to extreme angle and see whether the colour fades and light shifts. There's only a few other WVA tech in the market. Like 80% if the viewing angle is good then it's an IPS panel.

Just checked back a few page. The one with 120Hz TN panel is the S15. Maybe we mix up?

Just remembered that the prime 15 can only take 7mm HDD. The only HDD offered is a 5400rpm from Hitachi.

Checked both MX15 elite and Prime 15 specs. Both specified 7mm 2.5" HDD. Why then the MX15 elite can take a 1TB 7200rpm HDD but not for Prime 15. Weird...

chiaRH

Reaction score
Just checked back a few page. The one with 120Hz TN panel is the S15. Maybe we mix up?

If youre basing on the website it may be hit or miss, the site now has so many products that stuff is getting mixed up. Like the S17 still is advertised as having a 120hz screen despite not actually having one (it only has a 75hz screen with no other config options) and that typo has been there for months.

this is 1 reason when i buy aftershock laptop i always configure it on-site so I can clarify with people. The website has convenience but i'd rather not do it from home when 3000 bucks are going into the purchase and you may misread the specs on the website due to some errors.

TheOutsider

Reaction score
If youre basing on the website it may be hit or miss, the site now has so many products that stuff is getting mixed up. Like the S17 still is advertised as having a 120hz screen despite not actually having one (it only has a 75hz screen with no other config options) and that typo has been there for months.

this is 1 reason when i buy aftershock laptop i always configure it on-site so I can clarify with people. The website has convenience but i'd rather not do it from home when 3000 bucks are going into the purchase and you may misread the specs on the website due to some errors.

I'm clear with what I buying la not sure about others :D I know I don't need higher fps and that UHD is overkill for 15.6" so I don't even bother :D

BTW do you have experience changing the parts within warranty period? Like now I opted for the 1TB 5400rpm drive. If I found a faster drive in the future, maybe still 5400rpm but SSHD, can I replace it myself? Warranty void or not?

sheepysheep

Reaction score
So just to confirm, the 120hz monitor upgrade for the Prime 15 is an IPS Panel?

Got an email from customer support that it was, but I was reading a few conflicting reports that it was running a TN panel.

Just to quickly clarify

15.6" FHD IPS - IPS
15.6" 120 HZ FHD - NOT IPS
15.6 4K (WILL typically be IPS, AHVA or PLS models)

Most 120hz notebook screens are still not IPS. 120HZ still makes it worth it imo.

Also on our configuration page, we mark out ips panels clearly. if it does not have ips in the text, then its definitely not ips.

Thinker

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just to quickly clarify

15.6" FHD IPS - IPS
15.6" 120 HZ FHD - NOT IPS
15.6 4K (WILL typically be IPS, AHVA or PLS models)

Most 120hz notebook screens are still not IPS. 120HZ still makes it worth it imo.

Also on our configuration page, we mark out ips panels clearly. if it does not have ips in the text, then its definitely not ips.

Eh if that’s the case, the customer service guy gave me the wrong Indo in the emails.

chiaRH

Reaction score
just found my touchpad isnt working, oddly the click buttons are still working, so I'm not sure if its a driver or a hardware thing...

gumpie

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it is possible to get custom skins for Aftershock laptops, more specifically, for the Prime-15?

sendtolee

Reaction score
just found my touchpad isnt working, oddly the click buttons are still working, so I'm not sure if its a driver or a hardware thing...

If driver don't work, the click buttons will not work too.
Most likely touchpad kaput.

sheepysheep

Reaction score
Thinker - Possible to PM the details of the email? Just so i can follow up internally. As a simple rule of thumb, we write ips next to panels that are IPS, and we don't write IPS next to panels that are not ips on the configuration page

sheepysheep

Reaction score
I'm clear with what I buying la not sure about others :D I know I don't need higher fps and that UHD is overkill for 15.6" so I don't even bother :D

BTW do you have experience changing the parts within warranty period? Like now I opted for the 1TB 5400rpm drive. If I found a faster drive in the future, maybe still 5400rpm but SSHD, can I replace it myself? Warranty void or not?

We allow users to change parts on their own. warranty won't be void as long as you don't physically break something in the process

Thinker

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thinker - Possible to PM the details of the email? Just so i can follow up internally. As a simple rule of thumb, we write ips next to panels that are IPS, and we don't write IPS next to panels that are not ips on the configuration page

Just dropped you a PM. Based on that email, I changed my order config under that assumption. Might consider switching back if it's not an IPS panel.

TheOutsider

Reaction score
Just dropped you a PM. Based on that email, I changed my order config under that assumption. Might consider switching back if it's not an IPS panel.

We allow users to change parts on their own. warranty won't be void as long as you don't physically break something in the process

+1 and also for all the components, I would suggest to include the drive speed for the conventional HDD and the read/write speed for the SSD. After all most buyer for aftershock is more towards the geeky ones it definitely helps if the info is available on the website itself. It saves AS some trouble to reply to all the enquiries via email too.

Will be great if someone can man and monitor the website description more closely. I've found quite some typo/mistakes on a few models on the website. One that I saw during previous IT show promo was that there's this HDD upgrade if I remember correctly, the before discount price is like $249 then slashed and a green after discount price is put as $299. I don't really remember the details but it's like the discount is a negative one that actually adds to the price instead. *facepalm*

BTW for the new P-13 there's a typo on the laptop thickness on aftershock website. It's 0.7" but someone from AS took it as mm. Imaging 7mm laptop.

Last edited:

razorlala

Banned
Reaction score
turns out it was the driver, uninstalling it brings the touchpad back to functionality (using windows drivers)

the recent windows update seem to 'overpower'(for the lack of a better word) your touchpad drivers.

last time can edit touchpad settings etc from the synaptics touchpad settings.
aft a certain windows update all the settings got ported over to the typical windows settings UI with the toggle buttons(like windows will ownself dl the driver suitable for ur touchpad, and use that in correspond to their windows settings UI).

that might be the problem.

chiaRH

Reaction score
the recent windows update seem to 'overpower'(for the lack of a better word) your touchpad drivers.

last time can edit touchpad settings etc from the synaptics touchpad settings.
aft a certain windows update all the settings got ported over to the typical windows settings UI with the toggle buttons(like windows will ownself dl the driver suitable for ur touchpad, and use that in correspond to their windows settings UI).

that might be the problem.

probably has something to do with that new 'precision touchpad' thing that windows is trying to come up with. not really sure if any of clevo's machines use precision touchpads though

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.