Home Cooking preferably LCHF Series - share ideas etc

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Woke up 1+pm Mon 19/6
Prepared fresh Lemon Infused Water with just Green Tea ACV & Baking Soda

Was feeling slightly peckish
So didn't decline this time when mom "screamed at me" to take the Tea
But I left 1/3 dough from the 1/2 tuna n charsiu buns uneaten [just ate the liao] as want to save on the allowed 700 FMD calories so can eat more food at dinner
4.30 pm Tea = IF 21.5/3.5 today
xfLZPtwl.jpg

rJFVDzFl.jpg

Moi Day 7 FMD 'Fast' Dinner
Felt mom's offerings too light so washed up some arugula n grape cherry tomatoes from Fri haul + balance butterhead lettuce for a very simple no-dressing instant salad (wish to avoid the midnight hunger pangs as occurred on Thurs night after that light dinner - had to cook that Big English Breakfast supper !)
1eYzFObl.jpg

TZyoJB3l.jpg

My favorite Vinegared Pork Ribs - hv always been complaining on kiamsiap mom's Small Servings here .....
DyFXA79l.jpg

Kailan in oyster sauce - so miserly !!!
Qf55EoHl.jpg

Leftover Sun lunch item Prawn Okra
HyGxNGYl.jpg

Only very much later when finished our dinner n mom went into kitchen to get the papaya dessert, she then realised that she had forgotten all about the Sharksfin Marrow Soup - she IS really going senile here Sighzzzzz
I wouldn't hv bothered to do the salad if I'd known there was soup too !!!
kS2xkJXl.jpg

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fats-sauces

Low-Carb Fats and Sauces – the Best and the Worst

What are the best and the worst fats and sauces on a low-carb diet? It’s an important question as a low-carb diet needs to be high in fat to be sustainable (here’s why https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-lose-weight#2).

Fortunately, there are tons of great options, plus some not-so-good ones. For more details, please check out this visual guide. The lower-carb options are to the left:

LC-Fats-Sauces-2_170506_2-800x737.jpg

The numbers represent grams of net carbs per 100 gram (3½ ounces).1 The green foods contain less than 5 percent carbs – a good basic rule of thumb for a keto low-carb diet.

Note: these are general numbers so please keep in mind that they may vary between different brands. To be on the safe side, read the nutrition facts label on the back.

Mustard vs. ketchup

Should a low-carber choose mustard or ketchup?

Well, ketchup generally contains a lot more carbs than mustard does, but some kinds of mustard also have a lot of sugar added, so choose sugar-free mustard, like for example Dijon. Check the nutrition facts to make sure.
LowCarb_mustard_ketchup_2-400x346.jpg

BBQ issues

Please note that store-bought BBQ sauce is loaded with sugar. Those glazed ribs may look nice, but there’s quite a load of sugar on them. Remove to stay low carb. Or decide to eat anyway, knowing what you’re doing.

ribs1200-400x195.jpg

How to eat more fat

Fat is filling, and an amazing flavor enhancer. But how do you get enough of it in your diet? And how much fat should you really eat? Hint: enough to feel satisfied and not hungry.

Detailed list and recipes for low-carb fats & sauces

Below is a detailed list of carbs in fats and low-carb sauces. The number is net carbs per 100 gram (3½ ounces).

Do you want to make your own low-carb sauce, or use fat? Follow the links for awesome recipes.

Butter 0
Coconut oil 0
Vinaigrette 0
Béarnaise sauce 2

DipsDressingsRecipes-1-400x267.jpg

Hollandaise sauce 2
Ranch dip 2
Aioli 2
Mustard 2
Guacamole 3
Thousand islands dressing 3
Heavy cream 3
Soy sauce 4
Blue-cheese dressing 4
Salsa 6
Pesto 8
Tomato paste 15

How Much Fat Should You Eat?

iStock_46096484_LARGE-800x533.jpg

Are you hungry? Don’t be. When you cut back on carbohydrates, the trick is to fuel your energy needs with fat instead. Eat enough fat at your meals so that you are not hungry for at least 5 hours.

Shoot for feeling pleasantly satisfied, but not overfed. After dinner, you should make it easily through the night – 12 hours without hunger (if not more). Work towards finding this balance.

Below are a few refinements to this advice, if you really want to maximize the effectiveness of your low-carb diet. Most people never care about these things and they do well anyway. But for bonus points check out these five extra refinements.

1. Ease into fat adaption

When you begin your low-carb journey, you may find some high-fat foods taste ‘too rich.’ Be patient. As you transition to your new way of eating, both your body and your taste buds will adjust. Work up to eating enough fat to avoid hunger and allow your body time (at least a month) to settle into its new pattern of burning fat instead of carbohydrates.

When you find that balance, hunger will diminish as your body enjoys easy access to the body’s fat stores that were locked away by a high-carb diet.

2. Dial it back for weight loss

Hoping to lose weight? If the answer is yes, once you are at ease with your low-carb diet, experiment with reducing the extra fat you add to meals.

Eat just enough to avoid hunger – let your body burn its internal fat stores rather than that extra pat of butter. This will accelerate weight loss.

But don’t go too far – when hungry, always opt for additional fat rather than cheating on your low-carb plan.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/much-fat-eat-ketogenic-diet
keto-1-800x800.jpg

3. Add fat as needed for maintenance

Once you reach your goal weight, you no longer have the internal fat stores necessary to fuel an energy shortfall day after day. Tune into your body’s hunger signals. Now is the time to gradually add more fat to your diet until you find the satisfying balance of hunger-free weight maintenance.

*** For Ketosis & Optimal Weight Loss
Maximum 20 grams nett carbs and 60-70 grams protein [depending on body weight] per day for optimal ketosis.

4. Eat an adequate amount of protein

Part of the trick of minimizing hunger is making sure you eat the right amount of protein. For most people, this happens naturally. But, if you can’t beat your hunger by adding fat, or if you are eating very low-carb but stalled in weight loss, take a look at how much protein you are eating.

How much is enough? Individual needs vary, but about 1 gram of protein per kilogram of bodyweight (each day) may be optimal for weight loss. You may need more if you are active though, especially if lifting weights and building muscle.

5. Optional extra details

If you’re interested in even more details and discussion about adapting the amount of fat and protein to your exact needs, and your situation, watch this interview with Dr. Ted Naiman. Probably you don’t need to – most people don’t need to that much fine-tuning.

Is Obesity Caused by Too Much Insulin? – Dr. Ted Naiman
20625:27
Get the video from https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/how-to-eat-more-fat

Last edited:

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/how-to-eat-more-fat

The Top 10 Ways to Eat More Fat

By Jennifer Calihan, Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt, M.D. – Updated June 2017

Flavorful, full-fat ingredients topped with creamy, satisfying sauces… Low-carb eating can be decadent! Fat is an amazing flavor enhancer – it makes everything taste better. And if you eat enough fat, it’s filling, too. Get ready for a new, luscious take on deliciousness!

Remember that a low-carb diet needs to be higher in fat, to make it satisfying. Don’t fear fat (natural fat is good for you). Don’t stay hungry. Add enough fat to feel satisfied after eating.

This can sometimes be a challenge for people who are not used to eating natural fat. Here are the top 10 tips on how to eat more fat – plus tips on HOW much fat you should aim for.

1. Start with whole, full-fat ingredients

HFD-800x533.jpg

Say goodbye to low-fat and fat-free products. Say good riddance to Egg Beaters, artificial creamers, and reduced-fat peanut butter. Banish any item labeled ‘light’ or ‘lite’ from your pantry and refrigerator.

Forget nonfat and low-fat dairy. (If your grocery store doesn’t carry plain, full-fat yogurt, buy the plain low-fat version and add back the fat by stirring in heavy cream, sour cream, or crème fraiche.)

Rethink your grocery list and stock your refrigerator and pantry with real whole food, including fat-rich options like avocados and eggs. Try to add natural fat rather than avoid it.

Fatty cuts of meat can be more flavorful, tender and inexpensive than leaner cuts. Salmon and sardines contain plenty of healthy fats and are a terrific addition, too. Invite these delicious items back onto your plate.

2. Cook with fat

iStock_73565885_XLARGE-800x600.jpg

No more limp steamed vegetables or dry chicken breasts. Cook your vegetables, meat, fish, and eggs in tasty natural fats like butter. Or the other ones listed under point 3, below.

Use as much as you need.

3. Use different fats for different flavors

Fats can change the flavor of a dish, which adds variety to your meals. For example, top green beans with butter for a comforting, familiar taste. Or, sauté them in peanut oil and drizzle with sesame oil for a delicious, Asian-inspired variation.

Experiment with new combinations to see what you like best. Stock several of these healthy fats in your fridge or pantry:

butter
lard, tallow, duck fat, and other animal fat
coconut oil
olive oil
avocado oil
peanut oil
other nut oils (macadamia, almond, walnut, etc.)
sesame oil

4. Prepare low-carb recipes

Patties-400x267.jpg

Low-carb recipes are designed to deliver delicious meals, with plenty of fat built right into the ingredient list.

Try the favorites above or click through to many more!https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes

5. Top any dish with oil, dressing, sauces, or butter

Pour-800x533.jpg

Drizzle on oil… Pour on dressing… Spoon on Hollandaise… Ladle on flourless gravy… Dollop on sour cream… Spread on mayo… Melt on butter. Top off your dish with one of many fat-rich options.

What sounds delicious to you? For more, check out our recipes for low-carb dressings, condiments, dips and sauces https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes/condiments

6. Garnish with high-fat foods

Garnish-800x572.jpg

Cheese. Avocados. Cured Meat. Olives. Seeds. Nuts. These whole-food toppings add flavor and nutrients, including plenty of fat, of course! Sprinkle some on almost any dish. Here are a few ideas to mix and match:

shredded parmesan | chunked blue cheese | grated cheddar
smoked gouda | balled buffalo mozzarella | crumbled feta
melted gruyere | baked brie | grilled halloumi
cubed avocado | mashed guacamole
diced bacon | sliced pancetta | ground sausage
minced black olives | stuffed green olives
sautéed pine nuts | roasted pepitas | toasted sesame seeds
slivered almonds | chopped macadamia nuts | spiced walnuts | flaked coconut

7. Ensure snacks contain fat

Low-Carb-Snacks%E2%80%93Guide-Presentation-1-800x450.jpg

As a rule, it is best to avoid snacks, but if you are too hungry to make it comfortably to the next meal, reach for a real-food snack with plenty of fat. Obvious choices include cheese, nuts, and hard boiled eggs.

For more ideas, check out our guide to low-carb snacks
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/snacks

8. Add a cheese course

cheese-plate-800x518.jpg

Cheese is a simple addition to any meal. It works as an appetizer. It works as a topping. It works as a dessert. If you need a lot of calories, cheese can help you feel satisfied.

Top low-carb recipes with cheese
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes?s=cheese&st=recipe

9. Blend fat into coffee or tea

iStock_93523341_LARGE-800x533.jpg

Melting butter or coconut oil into coffee or tea is quick and easy. Pouring in heavy whipping cream works, too. This warm and comforting shot of fat can replace breakfast, stave off hunger between meals, or substitute for dessert if you aren’t quite full.

Use this tool wisely; for some people, too much can stall weight loss or spike cholesterol. Especially if you drink it despite not being hungry, adding tons of fuel you don’t need. This is a potent tool – use it wisely.

Bulletproof coffee recipe https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/bulletproof-coffee

10. Consider a fat bomb for dessert

Our first advice is to skip dessert. If you do decide to treat yourself, look for recipes that are heavy in fat and low in sugar and artificial sweeteners. Unsweetened heavy whipped cream on raspberries is a perfect choice. Here are a few more of our favorites:

Low-carb snack and dessert recipes https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes/snacks-desserts

Summary of the 10 Tips

Fat makes life tastier, easier, healthier, and more satisfying. So add the fat! Mmmm........

About
This Diet Doctor guide was written by Jenni Calihan, who also blogs at EatTheButter.org. Final editing by Andreas Eenfeldt, MD.

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-lose-weight#2

How to Lose Weight

Do you have trouble losing weight? Or would you like to lose faster? You’ve come to the right place.

The sad truth is that conventional ideas – eat less, run more – do not work long term. Counting calories, exercising for hours every day and trying to ignore your hunger? That’s needless suffering and it wastes your time and precious willpower. It’s weight loss for masochists. Eventually almost everyone gives up. That’s why we have an obesity epidemic.

Fortunately there’s a better way. Get ready for effortless weight loss.

The bottom line? Your weight is hormonally regulated. All that’s necessary is reducing your fat-storing hormone, insulin, and you’ll effortlessly lose excess weight.

Below is a practical step-by-step guide to do exactly that.

Free and Fantastic

This guide is free. There are no magic pills or potions involved. You’ll only need to eat delicious food. And no, we’re not selling that either.

The advice below is not only free, it’s insanely effective. Just how effective? See for yourself.

View 100+ Amazing Success Stories
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/success-stories

Top 18 Weight-Loss Tips

Are you ready? Here we go.

Start at the top of the list (most important) and go down as far as you need. Click on any tip to read all about it. Perhaps you only need the first piece of advice?

1. Choose a low-carb diet
2. Eat when hungry
3. Eat real food
4. Eat only when hungry
5. Measure your progress wisely
6. Be persistent
7. Women: Avoid fruit
8. Men: Avoid beer
9. Avoid artificial sweeteners
10. Review any medications
11. Stress less, sleep more
12. Eat less of dairy products and nuts
13. Supplement vitamins and minerals
14. Use intermittent fasting
15. Exercise smart
16. Achieve optimal ketosis
17. Get your hormones checked
18. Consider weight loss pills / drugs (if desperate)

Eighteen tips too many for you? Check out this new high-quality video course with the five most important ones. Sign up for free updates and you’ll get instant access to it:

More details on each tip - go to the link to read for yourself !!!

https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-much-protein-can-you-eat-in-ketosis

How Much Protein Can You Eat in Ketosis?

Having been a low-carb enthusiast and team Diet Doctor member for years, you would have thought I’d nailed ketosis ages ago. I haven’t.

In the last post, Why You’re Not in Ketosis, I revealed why, and how I fixed it (by reducing my carb and protein intake to 20 and 60 grams per day respectively).

But, I had a problem. Though it felt awesome to be back in ketosis, it sucked to eat so little protein – 60 grams a day isn’t much for a meat lover like me.

Could I eat more protein AND remain in optimal ketosis?

I was going to find out.

The protein experiment

I designed the following experiment:

First, I would increase my protein intake from 60 grams a day to the level where I would no longer be in optimal ketosis.

Then, I would reduce my protein intake until I was back in optimal ketosis, using what I ate on the last day to define my daily-protein limit.

Finally, I’d eat to this daily-protein limit every day for a week to test its accuracy, adjusting my protein intake if necessary.

To increase the trustworthiness of the experiment, I added five rules:

1. Keep eating 10-20 grams of carbs a day
2. Keep eating during a four-hour window (5-9pm)
3. Adjust my protein intake gradually
4. Make no other major changes to my life
5. Measure my blood-ketone levels every morning before eating

“Nice plan”, I thought.

But there was one thing I hadn’t taken into account…

Preparation

To start off the experiment, I measured my blood-ketone levels: 2.0 mmol/L.

Not exactly shocking news – I had been eating 45-60 grams of protein and 10-20 grams of carbs a day for weeks, being in optimal ketosis almost every morning.

But all that could end soon – it was protein time.

Day 1: Taco-cheese shells

On the first day of the experiment, I ate similarly to how I’d eaten lately – butter, eggs, ground beef, and some vegetables, but no berries or nuts. For the extra protein, I ate the totally delicious taco-cheese shells. Awesome.

DD-219f-800x534.jpg

Low-Carb Taco Shells
381 Ketogenic low carb Easy 10 + 15 m

The totals for the day were 85 grams of protein (40 grams more than the day before), 10 grams of carbs (10 grams less than the day before), and lots of fat.

Would I be out of optimal ketosis by tomorrow morning?

Day 2: Low-carb pizza

I woke up at 06:10 am. Feeling a little nervous, I walked quickly to the living room, sat down by the dinner table, and prepared my blood-ketone meter. “Not again”, I thought as the needle closed in on my finger.

After ten seconds, I saw this:

IMG_0705-e1495465752578-800x800.jpg

Oh yeah, optimal ketosis and 0.4 mmol/L more ketones than yesterday! Good news, but it was early days.

What caused the ketone increase? Perhaps it was eating 10 grams carbs less than the day before, perhaps it was random variance (the blood-ketone meter isn’t 100% accurate), or perhaps it was something else. I couldn’t be sure.

I upped my protein and carb intake a notch by eating a few more vegetables and raspberries, and by replacing those crispy taco-cheese shells with a few slices of the legendary low-carb pizza. So delicious!

DD-47-3-800x534.jpg

The totals for the day were 100 grams of protein (+15 grams), 20 grams of carbs (+10 grams), and lots of fat.

Could my ketone levels survive this carb and protein onslaught?

Day 3: Liver, eggs, cheese, and more pizza!

I woke up early, walked quickly to the living room, sat down by the dinner table, and prepared my blood-ketone meter. “Ouch, not again”, I thought as the needle was about to attack my finger. I touched the ketone strip and waited.

After ten seconds, I saw this:

IMG_0709-e1495465838341-800x752.jpg

Oh yeah, optimal ketosis! 0.4 mmol/L less ketones than yesterday, but the same ketone levels as on day 1 having eaten 40 grams more protein. And I had doubled my carb intake from the day before.

What caused the ketone reduction? Perhaps it was eating more protein and/or carbs, perhaps it was random variance, or perhaps it was something else. I didn’t know.

I decided to go for it. How much protein could I possibly eat in a day while keeping carbs to maximum 20 grams?

I stuffed myself with liver, eggs, cheese, and more low-carb pizza. Eating so much felt great, but after a while I was totally stuffed. I went to bed feeling nauseous – too much food.

DD-13-800x534.jpg

The totals for the day were 135 grams of protein (+35 grams), 20 grams of carbs (+0 grams), and lots of fat.

Day 4: Bye, bye ketosis, right?

I woke up super thirsty. After chucking down a big glass of water, I walked to the living room, sat down by the dinner table, and prepared my blood-ketone meter. “Here we go again…”, I thought as the needle charged down on my finger. I touched the ketone strip, and waited.

Surely it was time to kiss ketosis bye, bye:

IMG_0717-1-e1495466787875-800x790.jpg

2.3 mmol/L, really?

After eating as much protein as I could stomach, my ketones went up by 0.3 mmol/L from the day before. Not what I expected.

Day 4 to day 10: Eating as much protein as I want

Could my daily-protein limit be higher than the amount of protein I wanted to eat? Or perhaps my body was in need of extra protein after a weeks of eating too little?

To find out I decided to change the experiment.

Instead of forcing myself to eat more and more protein, I would eat all the protein I wanted to for a week, and see whether that would kick me out of optimal ketosis. If so, I would reduce my protein intake until I was back in.

So, every day for a week, I ate in the 80-130 grams of protein, and 10-20 grams of carbs, range – plus lots of fat of course. What happened to my blood-ketone levels?

They stayed around 2,0 mmol/L every morning – optimal ketosis.

These days: Few surprises

I’m still eating as much protein as I want, but I’m super strict with my carb intake – I keep it to maximum 20 grams a day almost every day.

To make sure I don’t drop out of ketosis without knowing, I measure my blood-ketone levels once a week. So far there’s been only one surprise – 0.5 mmol/L ketones the morning after I ate at a Lebanese restaurant near the Diet Doctor main office – probably some added sugar.

Dining out can be hard.

What I’ve learned from these experiments

The most important thing for optimal ketosis is to eat maximum 20 grams of carbs a day

A while back I found out I’d been lying to myself for years – I wasn’t really in ketosis. To understand why, I did an experiment and learned that I’d been eating too many carbs and possibly too much protein.

I immediately reduced my carb and protein intake to maximum 20 and 60 grams per day respectively, and boom – straight back into optimal ketosis.

But I didn’t love eating just 60 grams of protein. To find out how much more I could eat AND remain in optimal ketosis, I did the above protein experiment.

From this latest experiment, I’ve learned that I can likely eat 80-130 grams of protein a day for weeks, and possibly for way longer, without dropping out of optimal ketosis.

So, for me, the key to optimal ketosis is to restrict the intake of carbs to less than 20 grams of carbs a day.

Now, let’s talk about you.

How much protein can you eat in ketosis?

First note that far from everyone has to stay in optimal ketosis (1.5 – 3 mmol/L). Lots of people do fine on low carb without it. But staying close to that ketosis range may improve mental and physical performance, it often results in more weight loss and it can have certain other potential health benefits, like controlling epilepsy or migraine.

Here’s what Diet Doctor has to say about reaching optimal ketosis:

Restrict protein to moderate levels. If possible stay at or below 1 gram of protein per day, per kg of body weight (0.45 grams per pound). So about 70 grams of protein per day if you weigh 70 kilos (154 pounds).

It might be beneficial to lower protein intake even more, especially when overweight, and then aim for 1 gram of protein per kg of desired weight.

The most common mistake that stops people from reaching optimal ketosis is too much protein.

How much protein can you eat?

That depends.

But as this post indicates, I can eat significantly more protein and remain in optimal ketosis. Can you?

That depends.

If you, like me, are a 36-year old insulin-sensitive male, who weigh 152 pounds, exercise for 10-15 minutes five times a week, and have no history of obesity or diabetes, then possibly yes.

However, if you’re overweight and/or have high blood-sugar levels, then possibly no.

If you too want to eat more protein AND be in optimal ketosis, here are two things you can do:

A. Exercise more.

The more you exercise, the more protein your body needs – walking, running, and resistance training are all good options.

When you exercise more, you can increase your protein intake somewhat too. To make sure you don’t go overboard with protein, measure your blood-ketone levels frequently and adjust your protein intake accordingly.

Remember to keep your carb intake to maximum 20 grams a day.

B. Find your daily-protein limit for ketosis

Ketonezone-f9-1-1600x789-800x395.jpg

Perhaps your daily-protein limit for staying in optimal ketosis is different from what Diet Doctor generally recommends?

To find out, do this:

1. Buy a blood-ketone meter with test strips (Diet Doctor does not make any money from you buying this).

2. Eat less than 20 grams of carbs a day for a week. Then, test your ketones first thing in the morning before eating anything.

3a. If your blood-ketone levels are at 1,5 mmol/L or above, increase your protein intake gradually over the next week. Measure your blood-ketone levels every morning and see what happens.

How many grams of protein can you eat per day before your ketone levels drop below 1.5 mmol/L? Eat a little less protein than that.

Keep measuring your ketones for a few days, and if you’re always in optimal ketosis, measure just once a week.

If you drop out of optimal ketosis, make sure you’re eating maximum 20 grams of carbs a day. If you already are, but your ketone levels are not in the optimal range, reduce your protein intake a little.

3b. If your blood-ketone levels are below 1.5 mmol/L, reduce your protein intake gradually over the next week. Measure your blood-ketone levels every morning and see what happens.

How much do you have to reduce your protein intake before your ketone levels rise above 1.5 mmol/L? Eat a little less protein than that *.

Keep measuring your ketones for a few days, and if you’re always in optimal ketosis, measure just once a week.

If you drop out of optimal ketosis, make sure you’re eating maximum 20 grams of carbs a day. If you already are, but your ketone levels are not in the optimal range, reduce your protein intake a little.

* We don’t recommend that you eat less than 0.4 grams of protein per pound of desired weight for long periods of time. You need protein.

Three follow-up questions

1. What would happen if I ate more than 135 grams of protein a day?

I don’t know.

I assume my blood-ketone levels would start dropping at the point when my body no longer needs all the protein it’s getting. At that point, it would likely convert the extra protein to glucose which would raise blood sugar and reduce blood-ketone levels.

I won’t test this anytime soon though as I don’t want to eat more protein than I’m doing now.

2. What would happen if I ate 80-135 grams of protein a day for months or years?

I don’t know.

I think doing so would keep me in optimal ketosis – that’s what the findings from this experiment indicate – but I won’t know the answer to this question for a while yet. I’ll keep measuring my ketones weekly and will give you an update later this year.

3. What would happen if I exercised less?

I don’t know.

I assume doing so could reduce my blood-ketone levels a little as my body would need less protein, but at what point that would happen I’m not sure.

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fruits#top10

Top 10 Low-Carb Fruits

LC-fruitsberries_top10_2-800x135.jpg

Let’s say you occasionally want to eat a fruit (or some berries) while still staying relatively low carb. What fruit would be the best choice?

Below, you’ll find the best options, ranked by grams of net carbs per serving (one medium-sized fruit or half a cup). The lowest-carbs options are at the top. All numbers are net carbs.1

1. Raspberries – Half a cup (60 grams) contains 3 grams of carbs.
2. Blackberries – Half a cup (70 grams) contains 4 grams of carbs.
3. Strawberries – Half a cup (100 grams) contains 6 grams of carbs.
4. Blueberries – Half a cup (50 grams) contains 6 grams of carbs.
5. Plum – One medium-sized (80 grams) contains 6 grams of carbs.
6. Clementine – One medium-sized (75 grams) contains 7 grams of carbs.
7. Kiwi – One medium-sized (70 grams) contains 8 grams of carbs.
8. Cherries – Half a cup (90 grams) contains 9 grams of carbs.
9. Cantaloupe – One cup (160 grams) contains 11 grams of carbs.
10. Peach – One medium-sized (150 grams) contains 13 grams of carbs.

As a comparison, a medium-sized orange {or even grapefruit} contains about 15 grams of carbs, a medium-sized apple about 18 grams and a medium-sized banana about 25 grams of carbs.

Pomegranates have about 7 grams of carbs per 100 g or 3,5 oz.

Last edited:

Ange1cry

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fruits#top10

Top 10 Low-Carb Fruits

LC-fruitsberries_top10_2-800x135.jpg

Let’s say you occasionally want to eat a fruit (or some berries) while still staying relatively low carb. What fruit would be the best choice?

Below, you’ll find the best options, ranked by grams of net carbs per serving (one medium-sized fruit or half a cup). The lowest-carbs options are at the top. All numbers are net carbs.1

1. Raspberries – Half a cup (60 grams) contains 3 grams of carbs.
2. Blackberries – Half a cup (70 grams) contains 4 grams of carbs.
3. Strawberries – Half a cup (100 grams) contains 6 grams of carbs.
4. Blueberries – Half a cup (50 grams) contains 6 grams of carbs.
5. Plum – One medium-sized (80 grams) contains 6 grams of carbs.
6. Clementine – One medium-sized (75 grams) contains 7 grams of carbs.
7. Kiwi – One medium-sized (70 grams) contains 8 grams of carbs.
8. Cherries – Half a cup (90 grams) contains 9 grams of carbs.
9. Cantaloupe – One cup (160 grams) contains 11 grams of carbs.
10. Peach – One medium-sized (150 grams) contains 13 grams of carbs.

As a comparison, a medium-sized orange contains about 15 grams of carbs, a medium-sized apple about 18 grams and a medium-sized banana about 25 grams of carbs.
Good morning!

Sent from Xiaomi MI MAX using GAGT

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://www.dietdoctor.com/why-youre-not-in-ketosis

Experiment 2: Eating less than 20 grams of carbs a day

It was time to test my carb intake – was I really eating less than 20 grams a day?

The experiment:
– eat a maximum of 20 grams of carbs a day for a week,
– keep my protein intake at maximum 60 grams a day,

– only make food at home,
– count carbs properly by weighing everything I eat and drink, and calculate my daily digestible-carb intake using Diet Doctor’s visual low-carb guides,
– document everything.

I was ready – the carb-counting could begin.

How many carbs was I eating?
Day one was my calibration day. Eating more or less like I had done lately, how many carbs would that add up to? I was in for a surprise.

What I ate on day one:

– 400 grams of broccoli (16 g carbs)
– 200 grams of cream (6 carbs)
– 150 grams bacon (1.5 g carbs)
– 4 eggs (2 g carbs)
– 150 grams of spinach (1.5 g carbs)
– 5 raspberries (1 g carbs)
– 1 square (1 cm x 1 cm) of 86% chocolate (1 g carb)
– 4 brazil nuts (0.5 g carbs)
– 75 grams of butter (0.5 g carbs)
– 2 cups of coffee (0 g carbs)

30 grams of digestible carbs, 50% more than recommended.

I couldn’t believe my own stupidity. This must be the reason I’m not in ketosis, I thought.

Eating less than 20 grams

For the next three days, I ate less than 20 grams of carbs by reducing my vegetable and cream intake, still keeping my protein intake below 60 grams.

Here’s what I ate on April 21st – the day before I was going to measure my ketones again:

– 100 grams of cream (3 g carbs)
– 60 grams of tomato sauce (2 g carbs)
– 150 grams of butter (1.5 g carbs)
– 2 eggs (1 g carbs)
– 100 grams of spinach (1 g carbs)
– 5 raspberries (1 g carb)
– 1 square (1 cm x 1 cm) of 86% chocolate (1 g carbs)
– 4 brazil nuts (0.5 g carbs)
– 200 grams of ground beef (0 g carbs)
– 2 cups of coffee = 0 g carbs

= 11 grams of digestible carbs.

Game on.

D-Day -----> Ketosis !

bill May 16 2
If you like to eat eggs, just eat the yolks.
Not much carbs or protein in yolks.

Egg whites are pretty tasteless anyway

May 18 1
Peter,
You don't have to stay in ketosis to lose weight or reverse diabetes - eating strict low carb is usually enough. I want to be in ketosis for other reasons - to feel more energetic and inspired.
Even if you do want to be in ketosis, you don't have to count more than once every now and then to make sure you're not fooling yourself.

How does that sound? :)

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://www.dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting-featured-cover-story-scientist

Intermittent Fasting Featured as Cover Story in ‘The Scientist’

June 7 by Amanda Åkesson in Intermittent fasting

scientist-800x674.jpg

Fasting has in fact grown so popular that it is featured as the cover story in The Scientist.

"In recent years, scientists have learned that fasting might trigger not only weight loss and life-span extension — benefits that have long been linked to caloric restriction — but also boost the performance of the brain, the immune system, and organs central to metabolism, such as the liver and pancreas. Fasting, some researchers claim, can even alter the course of some diseases, from cancer and multiple sclerosis to diabetes and Alzheimer’s."

The Scientist: Running on Empty http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/49462/title/Running-on-Empty/

Running on Empty

Regularly taking breaks from eating—for hours or days—can trigger changes both expected, such as in metabolic dynamics and inflammation, and surprising, as in immune system function and cancer progression.

June 9, 2017
My husband and I have been doing IF and longer fasts for about six months. We found out about it through Dr. Jason Fung, a Canadian Nephrologist. He has several talks on youtube, a blog with videos, testimonials from patients, and does "fasting talk" with Jimmy Moore to answer people's fasting questions. He also has two books out. We are both seeing health improvements (My insulin levels and weight are going down, my husband's NALFD (non alcohollic fatty liver disease) is healing, his visceral belly fat has gone down. We studied up before we started. We read that enough water with high quality sea salt/electrolytes is very important during fasts, and that helped alot. Thank you for this article.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/scientist-warning-dangers-trans-fats-dies-102

Scientist Warning About the Dangers of Trans Fats Dies at 102

Scientist Fred A. Kummerow, who early on pointed out trans fats (rather than saturated fat) as the culprit in heart disease, passed away in late May at the respectable age of 102. The driving spirit fought for a ban on trans fats, and even kept his research laboratory until he was 101 years old.

How did he stay sharp and live so long? The secret could lie in his healthy real-foods diet:

Dr. Kummerow’s daily diet included a breakfast of eggs scrambled in butter. He drank three glasses of whole milk a day and regularly ate meat and cheese, along with fruits, vegetables and grains. He avoided processed foods and french fries.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/one-four-italians-ditch-pasta-heres

One in Four Italians Ditch Pasta – Here’s Why

pasta.jpg

Even people in the country of pasta and spaghetti are ditching the carb-rich food, in order to improve their health and weight. Creds to Andrew McAlindon for tweeting the picture.

For low-carb pasta, check out our top recipes below.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/zucchini-fettuccine

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/sauce-bolognese

Giulia June 1
Here I am, Italian and currently on my second week of LCHF (I know it's not much but every long journey begins with a little step, right?). in Italy this WOE is still largely unknown and nevertheless outright criticized "it isn't what we do". The Mediterranean pyramid still rocks here. The decrease in pasta sales must be mostly because everyone is advised to keep a "portion" between 60 and 80 grams, and we are beginning to diversify our grain consumption (rice, oat, barley) and not because Italians are giving up wheat altogether. At least that's the general behavior I see around.

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I see, if walk more shd be ok, take the stairs etc.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/side-effects#constipation

Constipation

Constipation is another possible side effect, especially during the first time on a low-carb diet, as your digestive system may need time to adapt.

Here are the three steps to cure it, perhaps you only need the first one:

1. Drink plenty of fluid and get enough salt. The most common cause of constipation on low carb is dehydration. This makes the body absorb more water from the colon and thus the contents get dryer, harder and constipation can result. The solution is to drink plenty of water and perhaps add some extra salt.

2. Eat plenty of vegetables or another source of fiber.
Getting enough good quality fiber from the diet keeps the intestines moving and reduces the risk of constipation. This can be more of a challenge on low carb where many sources of fiber are avoided, but eating plenty of non-starchy vegetables may solve this problem. Another, and completely carb-free, option for adding fiber to the diet is psyllium seed husks (can be dissolved in water).

3. If the steps above are not enough, use Milk of Magnesia to relieve constipation. Amazon link

UFC Pure Coconut Water with the main electrolytes eg Magnesium etc .....

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Coping with keto flu/side effects of LCHF

Kristi
January 26
Hi. I am on 2.5 weeks of keto and I am feeling really tired, nausea sometimes, and shaky. Is this keto flu? I didn't have anything during the first week, but it seems I am feeling worse the longer I've been doing it. Also, I got a really bad case of acne on my face. Ugh...I want to like this diet to drop about 15 pounds, but right now my body doesn't feel so good.

Reply to comment #104 by Kristi
113Caleb Moline
February 25
I'd try using exogenous ketones or an MCT oil with capric/caprylic acids.

Reply to comment #108 by Lené - side effects
112Caleb Moline
February 25
You could be experiencing mineral imbalances (add a mineral supplement), but more than likely, your brain (and perhaps the rest of your body) has simply not adapted to using ketones as its main source of energy. Another possibility is that your liver has not adapted to producing ketones in the first place. Have you tried supplementing exogenous ketones (KetoCaNA, for example) or MCT oils (capric or caprylic acids)?

dave rodway
March 1
"Drink bouillonCup of bouillon
Have a cup of bouillon today. Dissolve half a bouillon cube (stock cube) in a cup of hot water and drink it"

Krictina
March 4
Have you added enough salt on your diet? What about water, have you been drinking enough? Firstly mix water and lemon drops, and salt. Drink it during the day. Also check that you're eating enough green salad with your meals, as that is only fiber that you get on this diet. There is so small amount of carbs on green salad, that you can eat it a lot!

Elias
March 1
I hope someone here could help me out.. I am in a big trouble, being in a low fat and low carbs diet I have got some strange symptoms I feel very uncomfortable. Low libido + testosterone, dehydrated, brittle+ thinning hair, cold feet, bad body temperature, no appetite, bad sleep, no thirst feeling, no sweat, bloated stomach, feeling vibration inside body, low metabolism and feeling tired all the time.
I have tried eating coconut oil, olive oil salt and water though water makes my situation worse.

I was a guy, who used to even workout on a empty stomach, however I could drink water at that time.

Need your help! I am really tired of my condition!

Summer
March 18
Elias,
The problem is either not enough healthy saturated fats or your thyroid. All your symptoms sound like hypothyroidism. I would go see a doctor and have them test your TSH, T3, and T4.

Pat Sacca
April 24
Some of your symptoms may indicate low adrenal function or adrenal fatigue. Dr.Lam is expert at helping with those issues. He has numerous posts on line to get you focused on solutions. Take his survey and see if your symptoms match. Then follow his protocol. It saved me!
Be well,

Jenna
March 30
I am currently doing the two week challenge and wondering for breakfast if there is an alternative to eggs? I have a slight allergy to them that has been causing me to have pains in my stomach every morning (not fun). Just wondering if there is a substitute item I could have for breakfast?
Reply: #126

Kip
April 6
Hi Jenna,
I eat bacon cheeseburgers for breakfast sans the bun. I eat it on lettuce with tons of mayo, half an avocado, and two types of sliced cheese. I cut it in half, eating half for breakfast and half for lunch. Before the keto diet I used to pour off the extra grease, now I pour the bacon and burger grease onto the burger. By lunch the grease has congealed and mixed with the extra mayo, tastes awesome.

wana
May 4
Jenna
have you considered a shake in the morning? instead of the eggs. I have bacon and eggs once a week and shakes for the rest. in my bullet I mix, peanut butter 1tsp, kale, spinach, almond milk and some berries or fruit crystal light (a pinch) for sweetness. Good luck to you:)

April 18
I have done low carb and fasted my way down from 238lb to 150 or so. I really like and believe in both LCHF and fasting.
I have fought cramps with salt and supplements and its a battle I am just keeping up, not really beating the cramps, they're there occasionally and mild, thankfully.

However I have recently injured my left thigh and knee. Muscle twist and stretch and spasms.

I have heard that carbs are needed to heal it. I have other less intrusive injuries to muscles that seem to be taking forever to heal. But this is far too painful to let it slide for months. Should I have more carbs to help heal this new injury (and the old one too).

Thanks.
Srinath.

Reply: #145
Reply to comment #129 by Srinath
145Monnie
June 3
Muscle cramping can indicate low magnesium

Reply to comment #134 by John Millhollon-Turner
I've been on the low carb diet for two weeks and haven't lost weight. I can get my blood ketone level above 0.5. I want to be at 1.5. I've tried adding an avocado to my chicken only diet, no results yet. What am I doing wrong?

135Peter Biörck Team Diet Doctor
May 3
Hi John!
My best guess is that you have to add more fat to your food, chicken is mostly protein and not much fat.

Try with egg, bacon and avocado for some change or salmon with a fat sauce. Why not start the day with a "bulletproof coffee"?
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/bulletproof-coffee

Good luck! :)

May 4
I have a heart condition, a stint in the right aorta. I've been on this diet in the past and it really works for me. This time around however, I am feeling tired, nauseated and vision is blurred in left outer corner of my eye; for example when i'm reading a line the text will disappear from the left as i'm reading left to right. never experienced that side effect before. i'm eating enough fats, having protein shakes with vedgetables and peanut butter and almond milk, yummy!! eating a lot of salad, chicken and beef once a week. I think with a heart condition that salt is the enemy here, could you confirm and perhaps comment on my post I would appreciate it very much. Good luck all!!

Reply to comment #136 by wana
140Diana
May 20
IMO, sounds like you have the induction flu. Drink PLENTY of water, and use more salt or bullion and get your vision checked by an ophthalmologist. It could be a pre diabetic condition. My sister had that and she had broken blood vessels.

Amanda vd Watt
May 26 2016
Frequent urination on the LCHF plan!!!
Can you please explain to me why this happens.
Thank you

Reply to comment #53 by Amanda vd Watt
84Judie Collins
November 8 2016
This way of eating is a natural diuretic. That's the simple answer and it's something I enjoy. No water retention! But due to that I find that I have to make sure I get enough electrolytes - a good healthy salt, potassium and magnesium.

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Didn't feel like changing to go buy the KFC Offer .....
Better to resist bad fast food too.....

Had these lunch items at about 4pm
Fried Fish n Marrow Heibi
hKck6Krl.jpg

Tea item Ang Ku Kueh - ate the peanut filling n left most of the external dough
dlA0DC5l.jpg

Decided on doing baked egg item after seeing some PIN pics - use up remaining sliced mushrooms from last week's mushroom soup + leftover pumpkin + leftover cream + some arugula + total 4 eggs used here
Small Pyrex casserole + 2 mini Philadelphia souffle
7RGbL9ml.jpg

1X8mQIol.jpg

8JQNJHSl.jpg

kuEo0SWl.jpg

Again forgotten all about the cheese ....
kyTdPIBl.jpg

Avocado must be eaten as very ripe -about time I took in some good fats too
x2nWYf1l.jpg

Last edited:

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Baked Egg item baking away .....
r2nwHMvl.jpg

XXB8Eopl.jpg

2ahZGRcl.jpg

9dRQrjml.jpg

Dinner
- Sharksfin Marrow Soup
- Long Beans
- Baked Egg Veg Souffle-Casserole (ate 1.5 here with mom tasting other 0.5 n bigger casserole kept for tomorrow)
- Half an avocado n cherry tomatoes
28lz8wAl.jpg

fL9z3bkl.jpg

sDcEJfKl.jpg

Removed green tea pouch n added even more ice cubes to Lemon Infused Water
GLH2nAJl.jpg

Think the total calories for today's food very low - well below the 700 calories limit as pretty much mostly veg n eggs + Fish protein ??

Last edited:

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Hey I missed your post earlier Charlie
Most days now, sleep n wake up late ....unless going out like this Wed & Fri

Would you like me to post on your behalf on the appropriate LC or 'medical' Youtube video {eg Dr Jason Fung's Fasting & CKD Video where someone commented his grandpa reversed Stage 4 Renal Failure ....] etc forums to verify the BEST & SAFE Diet for your case/circumstances as I hv offered earlier here as I really wish to see you on the road to proper long-term recovery [WITHOUT possible Refeeding Syndrome complications etc ] ?

If so, it will help if you can provide me a brief SUMMARY of your case from your Medical Notes from the very beginning here [from last year]
OR is that too 'taxing' for you ?
Maybe I can do up the Summary for your prior checking before posting - AFTER some input of the Medical Facts & History here from you
Maybe attach your Medical History briefly by PM etc to me - like that latest referral memo from your Dietician you had posted ??

You said it will still be like 2 Months before you can start on Solid Food
So still got quite a bit of time here bah - till August ?
But it will be great to get the ball/wheel rolling ASAP .... :)
Better do it while my laptop is still working
Without laptop harder to do long posts attach stuff etc .....

Last edited:

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Didn't feel like changing to go out to buy the Tues KFC Offer .....
Better to resist bad fast food too.....

Had these lunch items at about 4pm
Fried Fish n Marrow Heibi
hKck6Krl.jpg

Tea item Ang Ku Kueh - ate the peanut filling n left most of the external glutinous rice dough
dlA0DC5l.jpg

Decided on doing baked egg item after seeing some PIN pics - use up remaining sliced mushrooms from last week's mushroom soup + leftover pumpkin + leftover cream + some arugula + total 4 eggs used here
Small Pyrex casserole + 2 mini Philadelphia souffle molds
7RGbL9ml.jpg

1X8mQIol.jpg

8JQNJHSl.jpg

kuEo0SWl.jpg

Again forgotten all about the cheddar cheese ....
kyTdPIBl.jpg

Avocado must be eaten as very ripe - about time I took in some good fats too
x2nWYf1l.jpg

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Baked Egg item baking away .....
r2nwHMvl.jpg

XXB8Eopl.jpg

2ahZGRcl.jpg

9dRQrjml.jpg

Dinner
- Sharksfin Marrow Soup
- Long Beans
- Baked Egg Veg Souffle-Casserole (ate 1.5 here with mom tasting other 0.5 n bigger casserole kept for tomorrow)
- Half an avocado n cherry tomatoes
28lz8wAl.jpg

fL9z3bkl.jpg

sDcEJfKl.jpg

Removed green tea pouch n added even more ice cubes to Lemon Infused Water
GLH2nAJl.jpg

Think the total calories for today's food very low - well below the 700 calories FMD limit as pretty much mostly veg n eggs + Fish protein ??
Day 8 of my FMD "Fast" - weight went down today after yesterday's very slight 'rebounce' !

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://www.mindbodygreen.com/articles/is-fruit-sugar-bad-for-you-a-doctor-explains-insulin-blood-sugar

Is Fruit Sugar Bad For You? A Doctor Explains

by Dr. Vincent M. Pedre June 20, 2017 3:30 AM

It’s Day 2 of mbg’s first-ever no-sugar challenge. All week long, we’ll be sharing tips, tricks, inspirational stories, and recipes to help you eliminate sugar for the week—and maybe much longer! You can check out the rules of the challenge (and the 10 best tips for eliminating sugar), try out the no-sugar smoothie supermodels are obsessed with, or head over to our Instagram account to see takeovers from some of the wellness world’s biggest celebrities. You can join them (and us!) in #mbgnosugarweek by simply cutting the sweet stuff for the next seven days. Use the hashtag #mbgnosugarweek and tag @mindbodygreen during your journey to be regrammed or even potentially see yourself on the site!

“I follow the program to a T, I’ve lost a few pounds, but lately I’ve felt terrible and the weight loss came to a standstill,” my 34-year-old patient Margaret told me during our first consultation last summer.

Among her problems, Margaret felt frequently fatigued and moody, with skin rashes that left her wearing long sleeves even in humid August Manhattan. A few tests revealed Margaret had candidiasis, or an excessive amount of the fungus Candida in her gut. While trace amounts of candida may be perfectly normal, leaky gut and many other problems result when it gets out of hand and wrecks your gut’s microbiome balance.

As a medical doctor who specializes in gut health, Margaret’s conditions left me baffled. She avoided processed foods, bypassed sugar and other candida-feeding foods, slept well, supplemented smartly, and did Barre classes regularly. Yet the scales wouldn’t move as her health deteriorated. However, I knew that in every weight-loss resistance story, the clue is in the details.

Then it hit me. “I don’t eat sugar, but I crave fruit, of all things!” she told me. “Dried ones like raisins but also juicy ones like mango and grapes.”

I started mentally connecting the dots. For the prior seven months, Margaret had followed a popular weight-loss program that assigns zero points for fruit. In other words, they claim you can eat all the fruit you want and lose weight.

One thing I’ve found in my practice: People eat more sugar than they realize, mostly from “healthy” sources like fruit.

Think about it. If you eat a piece of chocolate cake, you know it isn’t good for you. You’re going to eat it sensibly, right? But many patients consider other carbohydrates like pomegranate juice, and even vegetable/fruit juices as “healthy” without realizing how much sugar they are consuming. Unfortunately, these patients are unknowingly feeding yeast and unfriendly bacteria in their gut, then wondering why they don’t feel well and can’t lose weight.

Margaret’s diet included copious amounts of these “healthy” sugars, mostly from fruit that contained higher amounts of fructose. Guess what candida loves besides regular sugar? Yup, fructose.

Fruits contain various amounts of two simple sugars, glucose and fructose. While pretty much all your cells can utilize glucose as fuel, only your liver can metabolize fructose. This poses a major problem when it comes to your metabolism.

Large amounts of this sugar—yes, even from “healthy” fruit— get stored as unsightly fat in the middle and result in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), a growing epidemic and leading cause of liver failure requiring a liver transplant.

Research also shows that fructose is lipogenic and behaves more like a fat than a carbohydrate in the body. That includes the usual suspects like soda, which is riddled with high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) consisting of 55% fructose, but also fruit juices and sweeteners. Agave, which has been marketed as a “healthy” alternative sweetener, is actually worse than HFCS, having anywhere from 55—97% fructose content.

Excessive fructose also creates advanced glycation end-products (appropriately called AGEs), which trigger oxidative damage, inflammation, and lots of other health-wrecking chaos that lead to cellular aging, as the name implies.

The most drastic consequences of having too much fructose in your diet is insulin resistance, where your cells can’t “hear” the call of this sugar-storing hormone; and leptin resistance, where your brain doesn’t get this hormone’s message to stop eating before you reach for seconds and thirds.

Your gut bacteria—especially the bad guys—also love fructose, gobbling it up and triggering bad bacterial overgrowth.

If you’re metabolically challenged, lower-sugar fruits like berries and avocados (yes, a fruit) are usually perfectly fine.

If you’re an athlete or otherwise-active person, even a little bit of higher-fructose fruit like grapes aren’t likely to create problems, especially in that post-workout sugar-starved recovery phase. And let’s face it, a fresh slice of cold watermelon on a hot summer day is a great way to rehydrate.

What isn’t OK for anyone is fruit juice, including those health-halo smoothies. Whole fruit comes wrapped in fiber and nutrients that somewhat buffer out its sugar load. When you juice fruit, you strip away that fiber and some of the nutrients, basically facilitating a sugar surge that beelines to your liver and creates insulin resistance.

For patients like Margaret who test positive for Candida or yeast overgrowth, I recommend massively reducing or even avoiding naturally occurring sugars, including yes, the fructose in fruit. At most, fruit intake should be limited to berries when you’re trying to lose weight, treating sweeter fruit as the occasional splurge.

I asked Margaret to eliminate fruit (fresh and dried, except a palm full of berries when she craved some sweetness) for three weeks and start her morning with my fruit-free smoothie (recipe below). She arrived in my office a month later ten pounds lighter and with a renewed vigor.

Yes, some fruit can be healthy for most people, but fructose overload results in major health havoc.

Dr. Vincent Pedre's Gut-Healing, No-Fruit Smoothie

A richly green, hydrating smoothie full of healthy fats and fiber. This fruit-free smoothie is a great go-to for overall health benefits!

Makes 2-3 cups

Ingredients

½ English cucumber*
1 ½ cups filtered water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
10 walnut halves
1 tablespoon almond butter
1 teaspoon spirulina (available at any health-food store)
1 large handful baby spinach
1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
3–4 tablespoons hypoallergenic protein powder
1 tablespoon ground chia seeds (optional but recommended)

Method
1. Add all the ingredients to a blender in the order listed. Blend until smooth.
2. Add a few ice cubes if you prefer a cooler smoothie.

* An English cucumber is longer and sometimes a bit thinner than a regular cucumber, and it has very tiny seeds. The English cucumber has a skin that is also very thin and does not need to be removed prior to eating. It can be found in the produce section of your local grocer, usually sold in plastic wrap. If you are using an English cucumber, simply cut in half, keeping the peel on, and trim off about 1⁄2 inch from the end. If you are not able to find an English cucumber, use any cucumber, but use a vegetable peeler to peel the skin off, cut the cucumber in half lengthwise, and use a spoon to scrape out and discard the seeds.

I’d love to provide more strategies to heal your gut and reclaim your health. A few simple changes, and you could be on your way to better gut health. To learn more, get this free Quick Start Guidehttp://www.happygutlife.com/gift to a happy gut.

Missed the beginning of #mbgnosugarweek? It's not too late to join! Check out our rules, tips, and tricks here, commit to giving up sugar for the next 7 days, then hop over to our Instagram for tons of fun and support. Plus, here's a one-day meal plan (with recipes!) designed to balance your blood sugar and eliminate sugar cravings.

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
On the way for my complimentary BDay Facial n feeling peckish n since still got time to spare, had a quick laksa at Simei MRT Hola - $3.50 not bad as surprised to see decent amount of hum there ....
put in lots of laksa leaves myself
yJEosjTl.jpg

Guess this will eat into quite a lot of the 700 FMD calories today sighzzzz....

On way home after the upgraded facial (using my package n after battling the Manager's call to support her after my long no package buys etc reason why I am staying away from the more "persistent/lorsor" spas ...), popped into Phoon Huat n discovered they now hv the Spinach n Tomato Burrito Wraps too at $2.50 for 6
Bought another yummy Ploughman's Pickle for almost $3 as existing tiny bottle almost finished n saw an interesting Mango Fiesta Sauce $4.26
+ new Toaster size Baking Pan for $4.20
j66n5pkl.jpg

kt96EoJl.jpg

Bought more Pumpkin Seeds $3 n Pistachio $12.25 (arghh...a mistake here as didn't intend to spend so much on this item in my impoverished state ) - all at 250g packs
Saw this Basilico Tomato Sauce at $3.92 n bought thinking just nice for that Eggplant recipe (as the tetrapack ones seem rather dry somehow) - went up Simei NTUC hoping to get some fresh basil to augment things but again no sign of any - guess will buy on Fri from Tampines NTUC/CS if doing that Eggplant (mom already got me some smallish brinjals/eggplants but I bought a biggish one for 95c too in case insufficient to fill the new "eggplant" baking pan..
oNZ4Ahsl.jpg

Dinner tonight with UFC Coconut Water
- fish bone soup
- yesterdays Baked Egg casserole
- Soya pork onion
- green veg
- remaining half avocado + some arugula/cherry tomatoes
fKnIhoMl.jpg

sC6EPFql.jpg

xA07cOMl.jpg
e

Fruit for dessert - 1/2 mango n lychees
ygvXtSel.jpg

Hope all these food still close to the 700 calories mark.....this morning seemed to hv lost 200 grams from yesterday ....keep losing here pls ....

Last edited:

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
On the way for my complimentary BDay Facial n feeling peckish n since still got time to spare, had a quick laksa at Simei MRT Hola - $3.50 not bad as surprised to see decent amount of hum there ....
put in lots of laksa leaves myself
yJEosjTl.jpg

Guess this will eat into quite a lot of the 700 FMD calories today sighzzzz....
(Noticed something - feel that when I hv some substantial carb meal - that seems to help with releasing bowels [no bloaty feeling this time round] - or maybe that is due again to the magnesium in the UFC Coconut Water - 2nd pack opened up)

On way home after the upgraded facial (using my package n after battling the Manager's call to support her after my long no package buys etc reason why I am staying away from the more "persistent/lorsor" spas ...), popped into Phoon Huat n discovered they now hv the Spinach n Tomato Burrito Wraps too at $2.50 for 6
Bought another yummy Ploughman's Pickle for almost $3 as existing tiny bottle almost finished n saw an interesting Mango Fiesta Sauce $4.26
+ new Toaster size Baking Pan for $4.20
j66n5pkl.jpg

kt96EoJl.jpg

Bought more Pumpkin Seeds $3 n Pistachio $12.25 (arghh...a mistake here as didn't intend to spend so much on this item in my impoverished state ) - all at 250g packs
Saw this Basilico Tomato Sauce at $3.92 n bought thinking just nice for that Eggplant recipe (as the tetrapack ones seem rather dry somehow) - went up Simei NTUC hoping to get some fresh basil to augment things but again no sign of any - guess will buy on Fri from Tampines NTUC/CS if doing that Eggplant (mom already got me some smallish brinjals/eggplants but I bought a biggish one for 95c too in case insufficient to fill the new "eggplant" baking pan..
oNZ4Ahsl.jpg

Dinner tonight with UFC Coconut Water
- fish bone soup
- yesterdays Baked Egg casserole
- Soya pork onion
- green veg
- remaining half avocado + some arugula/cherry tomatoes
fKnIhoMl.jpg

sC6EPFql.jpg

xA07cOMl.jpg
e

Fruit for dessert - 1/2 mango n lychees
ygvXtSel.jpg

Hope all these food still close to the 700 calories mark.....this morning Day 9 of FMD "Fast" seemed to hv lost 200 grams from yesterday ....keep losing here pls ....

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
http://ftp.karenbarnaby.com/printthread.php?t=472377&page=13&pp=30 Page 13

deirdra Wed, Sep-14-16 21:08
I normally Fungian fast (with morning coffee, then water, green tea or bone broth the rest of the day) for 18-22 hrs/day which feels right for me and gives me lots of extra time for working and playing, but if on a given day I'm hungry earlier, I eat! It is all part of learning to listen to the body. I've tried 24 & 36 hr fasts and 2-day, 3-day, 5-day and 7-day fasts, but 20-hrs/day conveniently works for me with no hunger. If there are more studies to suggest 2-days or 3-days are really better (not just faster) than 20-hr fasts to reduce Insulin Resistance, I can do it.

I suspect the people who get lightheaded are not getting enough water and salts (Na, K & Mg). I even sprinkle some Na/K salt in my water if I'm not in the mood for hot broth, and always have Mg before bed.

Q : While fasting is it okay to drink coffee with milk? I can’t do black coffee. I have a little milk with my coffee.

A: Technically, the milk does not fall within the guidelines of a true fast, but the small amount of milk/ cream added to coffee improves compliance tremendously for some people. So in our program, we absolutely allow milk/ cream in coffee, but no sweeteners or sugar.

Q: I am sorry for this stupid question but how much is little amount of cream ?:)))) I want to hear it from you because otherwise I am starting thinking that 250 ml are ok, which I don’t think so:) I am on my day 3 of fasting and today I had whipped heavy cream ( 33% percent ) 2x 40g in my coffee. Is this too much?

Yeah, I was more thinking along the lines of 1-2 teaspoons, not the whole carton. Because cream still contains milk protein, it will stimulate insulin which defeats the point of fasting. Pure fat, such as coconut oil, will be less.

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Continuation from Pg 4 of http://ftp.karenbarnaby.com/printthread.php?t=472377&page=4&pp=30

Dr Jason Fung - LCHF - Fasting etc ....

From the Q&A to Dr. Fung in the subscription section of dietdoctor.com
QUESTION:
When an intermittent fast is complete (say after 16 to 20 hours) , does one then consume that day’s entire allocated macros for dinner?
As an example, after a 20 hour intermittent fast would a person then consume a dinner of 1200 calories in the “standard” LCHF ratios of ~5% carbs, ~20% protein, and ~75% fats? Or should the gross number of dinner calories be ratcheted down? (remainder snipped)

Dr. Fung response: I don’t recommend counting calories. After the fast, I would try to eat as normally as possible. That would be your usual dinner but perhaps a slightly larger portion of it.

Remember that protein intake on a fasting day will be much lower than normal. On your eating day, you can simply make up for it by taking higher dose, although most people eat at least 3-4x as much protein than what is needed for normal health.

googily Fri, Apr-01-16 13:59
Originally Posted by teaser
https://aeon.co/essays/hunger-is-psychological-and-dieting-only-makes-it-worse
Hunger isn’t in your stomach or your blood-sugar levels. It’s in your mind – and that’s where we need to shape up
Take in fewer calories and you’ll lose weight. But explicitly try to reduce calories, and you’ll do the exact opposite
Skip breakfast, cut calories at lunch, eat a small dinner, be constantly mindful of the calorie count, and you poke the hunger tiger

At the end of all my self-observations and meditations, the time had come to put the theory to a test. I tried a simple formula. First, moderately low-carb. The Atkins and Paleo diet purists would scoff. I reduced my carbohydrate intake by about 90 per cent and in doing so came nowhere near a low-carb diet. I wanted to avoid the super-high death-carb diet that most of us eat most of the time. Second, a little higher fat. I know some people swear by high fat and snack on entire sticks of butter. I don’t know what the research is on that kind of thing, but all I wanted was to avoid the extremity of a diet stripped of fat. Third, I could eat as much as I like at each meal. That last proposition was the hardest. When you want to lose weight, it’s hard to wrap your mind around the concept of eating more. I simply had to trust a bizarre psychological twist: if I try to eat less, I’ll end up eating more.

I could give a list of foods – salmon, peanut butter, pork chops, apples, tomatoes, chicken with the skin, tofu, eggs, and on and on – but really the concept is more revealing than the details. The diet had nothing to do with standard health advice. It had nothing to do with how those particular foods chemically affect my body. I wasn’t thinking of my arteries or my liver or my insulin. The approach was designed to speak to my unconscious hunger control mechanism, to encourage it to eat less. And it worked at a slow drip of about two pounds a week, trailing off finally to a much more comfortable weight. Twenty years of accumulation, 50 extra pounds (I cringe to admit it) went away in a few months.

There is no effort in an all-I-want diet of moderately fat comfort food. I simply sat back and watched my brainstem do its thing

The beauty of the method was that it required no effort. By effort, I mean that dubious concept of willpower. Pitting long-term goals against short-term rewards. When the hunger mood rises, the personal struggle is heartbreaking. I know all about that struggle and the weird thing is, the struggle is alluring. It might be dreadful, and it might be counterproductive, but it makes you feel like you’re doing something. Our society is impressed by hard work. Think of those people exercising maniacally on that TV show The Biggest Loser. We expect progress to be punishing, and we admire the people who push themselves to super-human limits. Another psychological trap, I guess. None of that self-flagellation turned out to be necessary. I had to reconcile myself to what felt like a lazy method. There is really no effort in an all-I-want diet full of moderately fat comfort food. I simply sat back and watched my brainstem do its thing.

I don’t think I’m alone in this experience. Others have tried a similar diet, though perhaps for other reasons. Advocating for one particular weight-loss diet isn’t my point. My message is this: your weight is in large measure about your psychology. It’s about the hunger mood. Obesity is a crippling social problem, but to our detriment the research has almost uniformly ignored this aspect of the situation. Consider this to be a call to science to focus a great deal more on the psychology of the hunger mood.

In some ways, the hunger system is like the breathing system. The brain has an unconscious mechanism that regulates breathing. Suppose that system got shut down so that it was up to you to consciously control your own breath, adjusting its rate and depth depending on factors such as blood oxygen, carbon dioxide level, physical exertion, and so on. What would happen? You’d die in about 10 minutes. You’d lose track of the necessities. The intellectual, conscious mind is not really good at these matters of regulating the internal environment. It’s better to leave the job as much as possible to the dedicated systems that evolved to do it. What you can do with your conscious mind is to set the general parameters. Put yourself in a place where your automatic systems can operate correctly. Don’t put a plastic bag over your head. Likewise, don’t eat the super-high death-carb, low-fat diet. Don’t micromanage your brainstem by counting every calorie. You might be surprised at how well your health self-regulates.

This was an interesting read.

I have been doing 16:8 (ish) most every day for a few weeks now--I tried to do a 24-hour fast, and almost keeled over at 21 hours. Then I ate like crazy for the next two days, and I felt totally off-kilter and awful--my body was most displeased. 16:8, or 17:7, or 18:6, though, works great for me. I don't even snack anymore, really--sometimes I eat three times, sometimes I eat twice, but otherwise any moments of hunger are fleeting and I can just let them pass.

Yesterday, I had done a normal 16:8, and had breakfast around noon--eggs and sausage, a little bit of cheese, and a handful of cherry tomatoes. About 600 calories and 8 net carbs, which should have been enough to hold me for a good while.

But by 3 pm, I was getting hungry again, and even telling myself to just ride it out wasn't working. I kept being hungry, and not just "craving." I had a salad with full-fat dressing, and a handful of almonds. And twenty minutes later, I was so hungry again, and not able to ignore it. So, at 3:30, I ate what I had been planning to have for dinner, a chicken and cream cheese slow-cooker recipe. I ate slowly, I savored, and I easily stopped when I was satisfied, even though the amount I ate was probably more than I had planned on having at dinner. I didn't berate myself for "failing," I didn't measure, I didn't log, I didn't stuff it all into my mouth in a blur, I just listened to my body and ate until it told me I'd had enough.

At 7 pm, I had a bowl of blueberries with a splash of cream. And that was it until I had a cheese stick at 11:30 this morning, without any struggle. And I was down a pound. And today I'm not all that hungry.

I spent some time a few years ago getting very much into "intuitive eating," learning all about when I was really hungry, versus just craving food. And that there are times when your body is telling you it wants energy, and it's better to listen and eat until satisfied than to try to fight it and only end up overeating when you think it's the "right" time to eat.

So when the article linked to above concluded with "Don’t micromanage your brainstem by counting every calorie. You might be surprised at how well your health self-regulates," I thought of this, and thought about LCHF and its better satiating abilities compared to HCLF, and IF to take advantage of that by having a smaller window to eat--and then adding that intuitiveness into it, which granted takes a lot of work and self-awareness, can be a pretty potent combo.

(sorry, didn't mean for this to get long)

GRB5111 Fri, Apr-01-16 14:22
Not long at all and very relevant. Being able to manage oneself is one of the major differences in that when hungry, eat. When not hungry, one can skip meal(s) until the hunger returns. Making it difficult, which we all do at times, is ultimately counterproductive.

teaser Sun, Apr-10-16 14:42
whether I'm supposed to do a 500 cal day opposite a regular food day, or skip breakfast/lunch every other day..

The fasting Dr. Fung advocates is fairly flexible. So the answer is yes, and yes. You could have a fasting day where all you eat is one 500 calorie meal, and then the next day you eat to appetite. Or you could just skip breakfast and lunch, and then eat dinner to appetite, have a normal eating day the next day, and then repeat. Or you could eat nothing for every other full waking day.

WereBear Tue, Apr-12-16 13:20
I have found that my collagen tea (gelatin dissolved with hearty dollop of coconut oil) is as good as breakfast. Maybe because it is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIuj-oMN-Fk

Dr. Jason Fung - 'Therapeutic Fasting - Solving the Two-Compartment Problem'

Published on 10 Mar 2016
Dr. Jason Fung completed medical school and internal medicine at the University of Toronto before finishing his nephrology fellowship at the University of California, Los Angeles at the Cedars-Sinai hospital.
He now has a practice in Ontario, Canada where he uses his Intensive Dietary Management program to help all sorts of patients, but especially those suffering from the two big epidemics of modern times: obesity and type 2 diabetes.
Dr. Fung uses innovative solutions to these problems, realising that conventional treatments are not that effective in helping people.

Chew Chew Train10 months ago
Brilliance is making the complex easy to understand. Dr. Fung's freezer/'fridge analogy is a brilliant means of explanation.

C. C. Visnesky5 months ago (edited)
I am also a kidney patient, and my VA urology NP freaked out on me for mentioning I eat healthy fats like butter, got a lecture on heart disease, clogged arteries, etc. She had not read ANY new research info in a decade? yes!! ( If you lie and say "Mediterranean diet" they shut up) They can ONLY push the USDA high carb method. But with LCHF my cholesterol is perfect, even tho I am fat, I am no longer seeing VA nephrology after they screwed up meds causing me more problems by not even TALKING to me during 2x yearly appts. TwoGuns-- do you also see resident trainees for 15 min appts, one time? Getting a new resident every time means they spend the appt reading your chart, and not communicating, so I gave up and use the Choice program to see a local specialist and stopped seeing the VA for that care, still have to see them for other issues, but SF VA hosp. is 7 hours away, 14hr RT overnight 2 day stay each time for 20 min visit sometimes. ugh..

W.J. Kelly9 months ago
Followed Dr. Geiger's diet for 6 months due to obesity and hypertension. Strictly plants, no processed foods, no sugars, no animal products. Six months later- same weight but blood pressure even higher. I got scared. Went on a LCHF diet, as recommended by Dr. Jason Fung, on You Tube and in books. Four weeks later- lost 12 pounds and blood pressure normal. I also have added intermittent fasting. I feel amazing, and I know from listening to my body that I am on the right track. Low-carb, high-fat, with intermittent fasting has allowed me to take control of my weight, health, and destiny. Dr. Geiger's diet would have landed me in the hospital or morgue if I'd stuck to it. It's crazy!

Matheus Bitencourt4 months ago
after 2 years of a Vegan diet I earned 22 pounds, eating just vegetables, a lot of fruits and so on. So, "enough is enough". Then I went to a Low-Carb Paleo diet. After 4 months, I lost 31 pounds and kept it off. effortlessly. Now I'm in a Low-Carb diet for 1 year and I'm feeling so fine. Low Carb + Fasting is a great combination.

Ray Levesque1 year ago
+Drake Santiago A large number of people who eat low carb participate in fasting and intermittent fasting. Combining is a great approach. Look up Keto Adaptation on Facebook. Our group is 16,000 strong.

emeraldeyes10 months ago (edited)
''Listen to your body'' is such important advice.

Dr. Fung says in one of his other videos to ''do what works for you''.
So, if someone eats dinner with their family at 6 or 7 pm, then goes to bed at l0 or ll, sleeps 8 hours, that's a l2 hour fast right there when they get up at 7 am. The body has rested and not had to work beyond the 2 hour rise in sugar typical after eating. The reason he says that fasting is the key is that, and that sugar levels rise each time we eat.

The longer fasts are even better because as the doctor says, each time you fast it brings the sugar down slightly until there is no more insulin resistance. Prolonged fasting would require careful monitoring under a doctor's care - a doctor who understands Dr. Fungs research and clinical findings. I would not fast longer than 24 hours without consulting a doctor first.

These are such wonderful videos for someone like myself who is pre-diabetic - or was in May this year - before I completely changed my diet to clean eating. I struggle keeping my carbs down but eat only fish [taking Omega 3 capsules each day] like salmon, chicken breast, lots of fresh vegetables, kefir milk, fresh fruit, vanilla protein powder once a day, a daily multi-vitamin and I 've lost close to 20 lbs. I am hopeful that when I go back to the doctor this month my numbers will be normal. I feel better than ever before and I see the difference.

mamie berth3 weeks ago
thank you Doctor. I was diabetic but I reverse it with fasting. I stopped my medication without imforming my doctor when I told him that I stop he went crazy here I am feeling great with no metformin. I feel so healthy. now I am doing 10 days water fasting no supervision. I am in Africa the Gambia. I am feeling great. thank you .

Carroll Hoagland1 month ago
Nice fireside chat Dr. Fung ... and agree that Insulin Resistance is Root Cause of Modern Diseases ... i.e MetS, et al ... Dr. Reaven's theory ... eliminating root cause which is carbs will drive cure ... however I use Dr. Longo FMD, or Dr. Panda TRF, and follow the circadian rhythm ... as current evidence show that fasting 15 hours per day provides same benefits of long term fasting ...
Good talk, since I check all references ... need just a few more ref's cited ..
70 Going On 100 … the Centenarian Diet … maybe 70 Going On 128 … the Hayflick Limit, or if a fan of Ray Kurzweil … then this is all a Moot Point.

katmeyster Thu, Apr-14-16 14:00

Thanks for the link. I just watched the entire video and was impressed with how easy it was to understand -- I sent the link to others who don't understand why I want to fast.

So I'm understanding now that my main problem is getting at the fat in the freezer. Obviously insulin resistant, I somehow need to turn that insulin down and use my own fat for fuel. (I saw another video by Butter Bob that obese and insulin resistant people always start out with higher insulin, and it even remains higher over time -- and Dr. Fung didn't address that).

I had a huge whoosh when I first went into ketosis, but I now believe that was mostly water, and that Dr. Atkins chart indicating that I am not insulin resistant was wrong (at least for me).

I hadn't lost more than a pound in the last few weeks at under 20 grams of carbs and in large ketosis every day. So the freezer was just completely closed to me, and obviously insulin is still too high. I am hypothyroid, but now have a good physician who will help get me into optimal levels with free T3 and free T4 along with TSH (and let's me use Armour Thyroid). I don't know if there is any issue with IF and hypothyroidism.

But, maybe, just maybe, the IF will work. I've now done 3 days in the last two weeks of 18-24 hour fasts, and I was down another pound this morning. I will continue with the IF and let everybody know how it works.

Thanks again for the video. Kat

Originally Posted by thud123
Like cotonpal I have found many uses for ACV too. One, which I used during fasting is to combine a few spoons of vinegar, pinch of salt, shake or two cayenne and hot water. It's almost like a spicy sour soup in a mug. Others seem to clear away from me when I do this. Maybe it's causing fumes? ;)

JEY100 Thu, Apr-14-16 09:11
Three good stories, Kat, Rhonda and Lee. May IF continue to help your issues.

Must mention Lee's tip from another thread...mix the ACV in seltzer (or whatever you call fizzy water) While I would't go so far as to say it is just like cider ;) ...it is way better than in plain water. I use Trader Joe's flavored sparkling waters, so tried it in orange. A bigger glass than usual, no sweetener, tolerable.
then decided to also take some acacia fiber...that will be "lunch" today.

JEY100 Sat, Apr-23-16 05:01
Dr Fung with another rant about the Diabetes Economy.

T2D, at its very core, is a disease about too much sugar in the body, not just the blood. Yet most of our drugs, from metformin to insulin do not rid the body of that sugar. It only drives it from the blood and into the body. But if this sugar is toxic in the blood, why would it not be toxic inside the body?

We are only moving the sugar from somewhere we can see it (the blood) to somewhere we cannot (the body) and then pretending things are improved, but all the while knowing that we have not made a difference. Where lifestyle changes clearly improves health, drugs just as clearly do not.

Screening only leads to better outcomes if there is rational treatment. Since our treatment of pre-diabetes consists of ineffective drugs, early diagnosis is futile. But this inconvenient fact hardly matters to the big pharmaceuticals and their minions. As long as they controlled the diabetes associations, there was cash to be made.

This largely explains the reluctance of the world’s Diabetes Associations and endocrinologists to acknowledge the devastating truth – that insulin just doesn’t help patients over the long term. With so much cash on the table, who do you think funds all the research in the universities, pays for all the private school tuition, sponsors all the ‘diabetes’ events? Big Insulin. But the pied piper must be paid. The currency of repayment is blindness, organ failure, amputations, and death.

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/diabetes-economy-t2d/

CallmeAnn Sat, Apr-30-16 07:35
JLx wrote: "In general, I like his big picture view of the problem as I don't find myself thinking, "but, whattaya 'bout ..." as I read, as everything fits. To my view anyway and I'd be interested in hearing any dissent. "
Well, I do find myself thinking this way but it's no different for this book than for any other. We read so many things, we need to be somewhat skeptical or we will be faced with trying contradictory approaches as if they are all equally valid. I read somewhere recently that the gut bacteria studies were falsified and that is now falling out of favor. Yes, fasting is not a new idea, so it's different but every new book claims to be getting back to 'ancient wisdom'.
My dissent is two cases within my family. My sister is fasting on a roughly 18/6 and finds it supremely easy and convenient. She eats sardines, tuna or salmon, a protein drink (pea protein rather than whey, in case that's relevant) mixed with a small amount of that green powder that is supposed to replace a whole day's vegetable intake, grass fed ground beef, some vegetable such as kale or broccoli to round out for the green powder because she doesn't get a whole day's worth, a serving of unsweetened full fat yogurt to mix with her liquid multi to make it more palatable, and maybe some eggs seasoned with turmeric and butter. This was her diet before she started fasting and yet she put on maybe five pounds and is stuck there. The fasting makes no difference.
The other question that bugs me is the issue of whether you will waste away from fasting. My husband fasted seven days while in the hospital with pancreatitis. He came home very wasted and has yet to regain his strength when doing his weights. He used to be phenomenally strong but now does good to bench over 125 pounds. He is working at it but it's very slow. The hospitalization was back in 2013. He is just now getting to where he can even try. He has diabetes and went back to lifting to help with his normalization efforts. I know Dr. Fung says that when he says fasting, he means up to 500 calories per day and DH's fast was total but to be weakened to this degree is strange to me.
I do the fasting despite these questions and I am still only losing about a pound a week.

MickiSue Sat, Apr-30-16 08:31
Ann, a fast due to severe disease is different from a fast that is chosen, and can be supplemented with bone broth, etc.

Also, lying in a hospital bed can be severely detrimental to your ability to work out.

The fact that the imposed fast coincided with the loss of muscle is just that: coincidence, most likely. It's more probable that the pancreatic disease, which is very debilitating, led to the deconditioning. As well as his very slow improvement.

For your sister: was she overweight, normal weight, slightly underweight before she began this regimen? And, is she in her 40's 50's, 60's?

She doesn't seem to be eating a ton of calories. The goal (as I understand it) of IF is not so much to limit overall calories below sustenance levels, but to compress the window in which they're eaten.

Perhaps she's gone too low on calories, and her metabolism has slowed down?

jeanie Sat, May-14-16 13:56
Cold While Fasting

I am just starting the long distance program with Dr Fung's IDM group. I did see a question posted on being cold while fasting with Dr Fung's response.

The patient's question:
"I have been doing a 22 hr fast 5 days a week since the last 2 months or so. My last meal was at 6pm yesterday evening. Even at this moment, I’m feeling freezing cold. And my hands and feet are like ice. The only time the cold feeling goes away is if I go for a walk in the sun."

Dr. Fung's Response:
"You may need to change strategies slightly, as your metabolism may be slowing significantly. This used to happen to me too. I added back some days of eating lots of high fat foods (butter, cream, nuts, avocado) to give my body some calories to burn. The weight loss was not as effective, but I felt better."

deirdra Wed, Sep-14-16 21:08
I normally Fungian fast (with morning coffee, then water, green tea or bone broth the rest of the day) for 18-22 hrs/day which feels right for me and gives me lots of extra time for working and playing, but if on a given day I'm hungry earlier, I eat! It is all part of learning to listen to the body. I've tried 24 & 36 hr fasts and 2-day, 3-day, 5-day and 7-day fasts, but 20-hrs/day conveniently works for me with no hunger. If there are more studies to suggest 2-days or 3-days are really better (not just faster) than 20-hr fasts to reduce Insulin Resistance, I can do it.

I suspect the people who get lightheaded are not getting enough water and salts (Na, K & Mg). I even sprinkle some Na/K salt in my water if I'm not in the mood for hot broth, and always have Mg before bed.

JEY100 Sat, Oct-01-16 02:50
Adding the short article written by Dr Fung for Fox News.
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2016/09/25/why-outdated-information-is-to-blame-for-weight-gain.html

Watch the FOX VIDEO here
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2016/09/25/why-outdated-information-is-to-blame-for-weight-gain.html

Why outdated information is to blame for weight gain
By Dr Jason Fung, Sept 25, 2016

The conventional dietary wisdom for the past quarter century has been “eat less, move more,” referring to reducing caloric intake and increasing exercise. But at the same time, we’ve seen obesity explode into the number one health problem facing Americans.

Only two logical explanations exist. The first possibility is that this dietary advice is good, but we are all too lazy or weak to follow it. Since obesity was relatively uncommon in the 1950s, this would mean that an entire generation of Americans individually, but simultaneously decided to “let themselves go.” This hardly seems plausible. The only remaining explanation is that this dietary advice was simply incorrect. The reason you couldn’t lose weight was because you’ve been given the wrong information and focused on the wrong issue – calories.

To understand how to lose weight, first you must understand how we gain weight. For too long, we’ve been told that it is simply a matter of excess calories. Therefore, the solution was simply to restrict the intake of calories and you would lose weight.

Sadly, this is not true. The medical evidence has been crystal clear for decades. Restricting calories does not lead to long-term weight loss. The enormous randomized study called The Women’s Health Initiative involving almost 50,000 women combined caloric restriction with increased exercise. The expected weight loss was over 30 pounds per year. What was the actual weight loss? Not even a single pound over seven years!

But I don’t need an expensive study to convince you. Almost every single one of us has tried a caloric-restriction diet. The failure rate is estimated at 99 percent, and that would be consistent with all our personal experiences. Caloric restriction simply does not work in the long term.

No, the reason we gain fat is not simply because of excess calories. All systems in our body are under tight neuro-hormonal control, and body weight is no different. Insulin is the main hormone involved, although there are others including cortisol, the stress hormone.

Once we understand that obesity is a hormonal, not a caloric imbalance, then we can adjust our diet to balance our hormones. This includes adjusting what we eat, but also when we eat. Reducing dietary sugars, and refined carbohydrates helps to reduce insulin levels, as does adding fiber, vinegar and fermented foods to the diet.

Just as important, but little discussed is the issue of meal timing. The average number of times Americans eat has increased from an average of three per day in 1977 to almost six in 2005. This is not a coincidence. By continually eating, we instruct our body to store incoming food energy as fat, and we do not allow time to digest and metabolize the food we’ve already eaten. By eliminating snacking and increasing the nighttime fasting period, we can lose weight by encouraging our bodies to use up the food we’ve already eaten.

The reason you haven’t been able to lose the weight is because you’ve followed the wrong advice – eat less, move more. Sadly, nutritional authorities blame you for this failure instead of their own tired, sad, outdated information.

Dr. Jason Fung earned his medical degree at the University of Toronto, where he also completed his internal medicine residency before heading to the University of California, Los Angeles, for his fellowship in nephrology. He currently practices as a kidney specialist in Toronto. He is the chief of the department of medicine at Scarborough General Hospital. In addition to clinical medicine, he is also on the board of directors of Low Carb Diabetes Association and the scientific editor of the Journal of Insulin Resistance. He is the author of “The Obesity Code” and the forthcoming book “The Complete Guide to Fasting.” For more information go to www.intensivedietarymanagement.com.

Mintaka Mon, Nov-21-16 19:53
This is a very informative and interesting thread. I have read Dr Fung for some months now.
I was dx'd with Stage II ovarian cancer about two months ago and although I am not in any way promoting long term fasting, I have used short term fasting to achieve Ketones/Glucose of greater than 1.0. I am taking steps other than chemotherapy. I am on an Amazonian Tonic, Ketogenic diet which tries to get ketones higher than Glucose (as suggested by PhD Thomas Seyfried), oxygen therapy and no alcohol whatsoever. Fasting is dead easy for me as I have been ketogenic for at least three years.
Ovarian cancer also thrives on glutamine, so I am limiting protein, increasing fat (excluding dairy) to 90% and limiting carbs to under 20 g per day. I also am stopping my delicious bone broth for reasons of glutamine. Time will of course tell.
The doctors can't tell if I make any progress because the screening tests CA-125 and HE-4 for years did not indicate any problem whatsoever.
It was only because I had asked to get my ovaries out that any problem was found.
Thank goodness for the internet.

JEY100 Tue, Nov-22-16 04:47
Mintaka,
Sounds like you are doing many of the adjuvant treatments recommended by Dom D'Agostino too. The internet is amazing both great and scary when facing the challenges of cancer. Have you found all the talks from the first Metabolic Therapeutics conference? They are fascinating. I have six pages of links to studies, mainstream articles, on mostly hormonal cancers and ketogenic diets, etc. Sure you found many of the same sources But happy to share the list with you by email. I'm always adding to the document and remember a new clinical trial on ovarian cancer discussed with my doctor just in June.https://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-06-human-clinical-trial-uab-diet.html
I spoke with Dr Gower, a participant would only need two in person visits for tests at start and finish. The downside for us would be that the diet is randomized...you probably are as committed to Keto as I would be. However, you may wish to speak with the researcher anyway and see how the trial recruitment is going.http://www.uab.edu/medicine/diabetes/faculty/faculty-bios/117-barbara-a-gower
Things can change and she would likely be interested in hearing what you are doing already. Most trials are for GBM, so any trial for other cancers stand out.

As you said, when you already eat a ketogenic diet, adding fasting is is not hard. There has been some evidence that fasting and eating ketogenic also reduces the side effects of chemo and other treatments. Have you noticed that?
Have you added the HBOxygen through your doctors? Or do you have to find the other treatments on your own? Are they supportive?

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-06-human-clinical-trial-uab-diet.html

To proliferate, many cancer cells rely primarily on glycolysis, a process that generates only a fraction of the energy produced by aerobic metabolism—the creation of energy through the combustion of carbohydrates, amino acids and fats in the presence of oxygen—but supplies ample carbon for building infrastructure of new cancer cells. These cancer cells require high amounts of glucose to engage in mitosis and continued proliferation.

Sufficient glucose uptake is promoted by extreme sensitivity to insulin and insulin-like growth factor-1, called IGF-1, and is facilitated by elevations in circulating concentrations of these hormones.

In some cases, cancer cell metabolism is inhibited under conditions of aerobic metabolism, particularly when the body makes ketones, alternative fuels for the body, when it breaks down fat for energy during a process called beta-oxidation.

The unique environmental and nutritional requirements of cancer cells can be manipulated through dietary means for targeted disruption of cancer cell metabolism and growth. Specifically, by decreasing dietary glucose (sugar) and foods that are rapidly converted to glucose, an environment is created that does not favor cancer cell growth.

Read more at: https://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-06-human-clinical-trial-uab-diet.html#jCp

Mintaka Tue, Nov-22-16 20:02
Thank you Rob and Janet. So much. I have the odd night terror, but otherwise have accepted my situation. Janet, I will read the links you provided. Muchos Gracias. I am not doing HBO, I am taking a few drops of food grade H2O2 in filtered water 3 times per day. The thing is, the doctor has told me that there are no blood tests that can be done to see if the cancer cells have been evicted or not. The screening tests simply did not work. To add to the complications, I was always full on the keto/high fat diet, so my feelings of fullness were put down to my diet rather than oc.

I have emailed Dr Gower and given her a brief history, but I am based in Australia, so I may not be of interest. I have bookmarked the trial page and sent you a pm, Janet. :)

JEY100 Wed, Nov-23-16 06:21
I have sent you two emails with attachments. In the first is a link for US Clinical Trials set to find Cancer and Ketogenic, but the results by no means finds them all. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=ketogenic+and+cancer
It does not have Dr. Gowers trial, I happened to stumble upon that one through a FB page.

Your doctor would likely know if there is a similar government database in Australia.

Also in that document is Dom D'Agostino's answer to what would he do if he was diagnosed with cancer. In other interviews, I have heard him add HyperBaric Oxygen Therapy to his list, but that is not accepted by mainstream medical. However, there was some new research on it presented at the first Metabolic Therapeutic conference.
http://metabolictherapeuticsconference.com/2016-archive/

Poor quality recordings, dark, but great info, even for the KetoPet Sanctuary.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.