New MacBooks and Recommendations

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Noob qn here...

Is it true that whether MB, MBA or MBA, all the components (include SSD and RAM) are soldered to the board?

Got friend say don't get MBA cos that's the case but seem to have read somewhere that al are like that now.

Sorry ah, noob here....

MB and MBA have RAM and SSD soldered onto the logic board, cannot be upgraded unless u change the whole board.

MBP has soldered RAM but replaceable SSD.

ceecookie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
MB and MBA have RAM and SSD soldered onto the logic board, cannot be upgraded unless u change the whole board.

MBP has soldered RAM but replaceable SSD.

Touch Bar models have soldered SSDs so its not replaceable in future.

As for Applecare for Macbook, i was speaking to Apple Store staff about this ytd - she claimed need to purchase within 60 days. Either she got confused with applecare+ for other products or its a hint applecare+ is abt to launch for macbook

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

As for Applecare for Macbook, i was speaking to Apple Store staff about this ytd - she claimed need to purchase within 60 days. Either she got confused with applecare+ for other products or its a hint applecare+ is abt to launch for macbook

oh.. didn't check on the touch bar variant.. thanks for correcting..

charleslin

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just ordered the i5 2017 rMBP 13. But this morning I realised the rMBP 2015 13 refurb model is in stock already. I tried calling to cancel but it's like too late it's already shipped to be received tomorrow. Wondering if I should just keep it. I'm just using it for emails and watching YouTube/Drama.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 4 using GAGT

Just saw the refurbished store after seeing your post.

Seems like a pretty value purchase for the base 2015 Retina model.

If it's just for normal work use, no gaming or video encoding stuffs.

Beats $1828 for the new base model even with educational pricing.

Navillera

Master Member
Reaction score
Just saw the refurbished store after seeing your post.

Seems like a pretty value purchase for the base 2015 Retina model.

If it's just for normal work use, no gaming or video encoding stuffs.

Beats $1828 for the new base model even with educational pricing.
Ahh yes! I actually ordered the 2015 rMBP 13 refurb on Friday and it arrived on Saturday. When I compared it to the 2017 model, I can see that the screen on the 2017 is much better in terms of the colours it produces. But I don't think that warrants an extra $550 for it.

Yep for my usage it's just normal use without gaming or photo&video editing.

thenakedshades

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

What's the difference between AppleCare and AppleCare +? Hahah I thought all the same?

charleslin

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ahh yes! I actually ordered the 2015 rMBP 13 refurb on Friday and it arrived on Saturday. When I compared it to the 2017 model, I can see that the screen on the 2017 is much better in terms of the colours it produces. But I don't think that warrants an extra $550 for it.

Yep for my usage it's just normal use without gaming or photo&video editing.

Yeah, I guess it's a pretty good option, if I wanted to do anything "intensive" it would only be on my desktop anyway, so saving that $550 seems to be worth it, considering it's like almost 50% of the MBP Refurb costs.

How was the condition of your set?

Navillera

Master Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess it's a pretty good option, if I wanted to do anything "intensive" it would only be on my desktop anyway, so saving that $550 seems to be worth it, considering it's like almost 50% of the MBP Refurb costs.

How was the condition of your set?
The condition of the refurb set? Very good. Looks and smells brand new. Battery cycle clocked as 1 too. Heh.

fire

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The condition of the refurb set? Very good. Looks and smells brand new. Battery cycle clocked as 1 too. Heh.

That's what I like about Apple refurbished, you can't tell the difference compare to a brand new set.

charleslin

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Just ordered!

Hopefully it's as good as yours.

But tbh 1 battery cycle can mean it's actually used more than once also right?

They may have just swapped with a new battery?

But I'm sure the hardware will be almost like new.

You bought AppleCare for it?

Navillera

Master Member
Reaction score
New products usually come with 1 and not 0. From my past macbooks and iOS products.

You're able to buy applecare just before the 1 year warranty is up. I think I'll buy it then haha.

civicguy

Banned
Reaction score
Where can I get those cloth that I can put between the MacBook Pro keyboard and the screen ?

Just got a refurbished set (13" with touch bar and 16GB ram).

Zaalaa

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bought the 2017 MBP 13"

However, can't get to like the keyboard and the dongle life.

Considering if i should make the jump to 2015 13" refurb set instead.

Sigh...

Paid $2188 for my set. If i go to the old version. It would be only $1348. (i have huge capacity thumbdrives)

$840 difference for newer processor, better speaker, slightly better screen.

Right now i have only 2 USB-C port, a keyboard that i can't type "hahahaa" without finger cramps, it's as if you are hitting the floor, had to adjust your finger to became softer, holding back the strength.

I did tug my charging wire twice. Luckily nothing happens. Would be disastrous as i have kid at home. The USB-C may just break inside the computer. Luckily we can have 2nd chance.

Dilemma.

duhduhduh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bought the 2017 MBP 13"

Sigh...

Paid $2188 for my set. If i go to the old version. It would be only $1348. (i have huge capacity thumbdrives)

Right now i have only 2 USB-C port, a keyboard that i can't type "hahahaa" without finger cramps, it's as if you are hitting the floor, had to adjust your finger to became softer, holding back the strength.

I did tug my charging wire twice. Luckily nothing happens. Would be disastrous as i have kid at home. The USB-C may just break inside the computer. Luckily we can have 2nd chance.

Dilemma.

Its the adapting part, take some time. Though the charging wire.... i think someone had some project at kickstarter they can have the magnet back?

Zaalaa

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Its the adapting part, take some time. Though the charging wire.... i think someone had some project at kickstarter they can have the magnet back?

In my opinion. Not great an improvement to warrant the premium price. Apple could have kept the old pricing. But yeah they can increase and people still buys.

Navillera

Master Member
Reaction score
Bought the 2017 MBP 13"

Sigh...

Dilemma.
I paid 1898 for the '17 MBP 13 plus the 1348 refurb model. In the end I returned the 2017 because I couldn't justify the price difference for my usage~

I hate that I need to pull the USB C wire out compared to the magsafe, dongle life and that exorbitant pricing together made the decision.

ceecookie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bought the 2017 MBP 13"

Sigh...

Dilemma.

Apple has a no question asked 14 days return policy, so don't hesitate to return if you want to get an older generation one.

Personally, if getting 4th gen I would pick touch bar option to enjoy the bells and whistles, otherwise I'll pick a refurbished 3rd Gen to enjoy backward compatibility with USB devices

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.