Where to tailor clothes =D - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

j3r0m3

Reaction score
Este Bartin lor.

One more gripe is they always busy, so you need to allocate more time with them.
Agree that they are always busy. Haven't visited them since their move. But heard they have gotten more help.

Are prices still the same?

Agree that Mr Ong is the man to go for pants. His work is impeccable as always

Sent from null using GAGT

fabiaN__

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's been a while since I visited Mr Ong. Should probably do so and ask him if he can do linen suits with fabrics from w bill or even seersucker ones! Post pics!

Not sure if he has W Bill. My linen jacket was from some in-house fabric... Just wanted to try him out back then!

azeusa

Reaction score
cheongsam tailor & tux rental - advice appreciated

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the best thread on which to solicit advice, but I have a wedding coming up and would like your expert recs for:

1. Cheongsam tailor
- This is for my mom (looking for something with a somewhat more modern touch, rather than the Chinese restaurant-ish look)

Another option is an Asian evening dress/ Peranakan-ish look (we are not baba, so she wouldn't want the full works to avoid looking like an imposter nonya)

2. Tuxedo (black tie) rental
- for my dad and brother - they wouldn't usually have a reason to wear tuxes (not hi-so) so tailoring would be financially imprudent

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Last edited:

hollowreed

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the best thread on which to solicit advice, but I have a wedding coming up and would like your expert recs for:

1. Cheongsam tailor
- This is for my mom (looking for something with a somewhat more modern touch, rather than the Chinese restaurant-ish look)

Another option is an Asian evening dress/ Peranakan-ish look (we are not baba, so she wouldn't want the full works to avoid looking like an imposter nonya)

- for my dad and brother - they wouldn't usually have a reason to wear tuxes (not hi-so) so tailoring would be financially imprudent

Might want to drop Residentdandy a PM. His knows someone who does cheongsam / dresses.

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

1. Cheongsam tailor

Golden Scissors for cheongsam

Sent from Samsung SM-G930F using GAGT

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks darthsid! Just msged them - they need a buffer of 3-6 months for tailoring. Unfortunately I left it too late. May have to look at off-the-rack options.
That may be true but you can just as easily get one of their OTR cheongsam and have it altered to fit by their in house seamstress.

Similar to MTM vs "Bespoke" where they tailor an entirely new garment for you.

xtwis7

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

1. Cheongsam tailor

+1. I'm also on the lookout for tuxedo rental. Haven't had much success actually.

All in a Day

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
+1. I'm also on the lookout for tuxedo rental. Haven't had much success actually.

Probably a higher success rate trying bridal studios than tailor shops. Only problem is the tux are usually availed as part of bridal package than standalone.

And also dont expect fine tailoring details etc haha

azeusa

Reaction score
That may be true but you can just as easily get one of their OTR cheongsam and have it altered to fit by their in house seamstress.

Similar to MTM vs "Bespoke" where they tailor an entirely new garment for you.

Got it!

Just throwing this out here - I wonder if Singapore ever had an actual thriving cheongsam tailoring scene (I'm thinking HK/ Shanghai levels)?

On another note, a friend of mine suggested going to HK: Mei Wah & Linva are a couple of the shops he suggested. But apart from the inconvenience there's also the problem of second fittings, although it could be a nice excuse for a couple of weekend breaks.

azeusa

Reaction score
Probably a higher success rate trying bridal studios than tailor shops. Only problem is the tux are usually availed as part of bridal package than standalone.

And also dont expect fine tailoring details etc haha

Googling brings up mysingaporetailor.com... website is a bit dated but I might check them out.

Apart from Shanghai Tang off-the-rack (which is pretty expensive) - has anyone had Nehru/ Mandarin collar jackets made from one of our local tailors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.