Essential phone

deckcard

Master Member
Reaction score
Do note this may not be the regular android or whatever that you are expecting. Since he was the founder of android, he'll probably continue to use android kernel but probably a different OS. Imagine LineageOS of that sort but of his own creation so it's as stock as what he defines "stock" is. It is still unclear until more has been revealed in later time

Last edited:

batboyz

Master Member
Reaction score
Wow the camera photo samples posted by the so-called Essential president look sux. Hopefully, that won't be the final product result.

iguoh

Reaction score

Ok, I just received the reservation confirmation. There is no need to pay or enter payment details so there is still time to pull out. The way I see it, unfortunately, most or all of the stock-like Android phones are not sold here officially: Google Pixel, OnePlus, and now Essential phone. It is very frustrating. The Essential phone is definitely a risk. I will decide once the OnePlus 5 is launched. Not exactly an apples to apples comparison of course.

kEvinErd

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ok, I just received the reservation confirmation. There is no need to pay or enter payment details so there is still time to pull out. The way I see it, unfortunately, most or all of the stock-like Android phones are not sold here officially: Google Pixel, OnePlus, and now Essential phone. It is very frustrating. The Essential phone is definitely a risk. I will decide once the OnePlus 5 is launched. Not exactly an apples to apples comparison of course.
Motorola and now HTC too are pretty stock Android-like too.

iguoh

Reaction score
Motorola and now HTC too are pretty stock Android-like too.

I have tried both Moto and HTC. I don't really like their phones so far. Sony is a possible option. Other than my Nexus 6P, my most "stock" phone is my Xiaomi Max running Resurrection Remix. I call it my Pixel XXL. :s13:

sp0rky

Reaction score
When the f they releasing sia.. I want to decide between this or oneplus

iguoh

Reaction score
When the f they releasing sia.. I want to decide between this or oneplus

It's taking too long and I am losing interest as well. Oneplus 5 HTC U11, Sony XZP are all possible contenders. I am still happy with my Mate 9 though. I wished Huawei's software was much more stock like...

Mclairs83

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
huge display, weak battery life, high resolution display, fast charging (5v 2a?), no sign of qualcomm quick charge 3.0

USD$699? :s13:

if u have alot of cash to burn. go ahead.

xuan87

Reaction score
huge display, weak battery life, high resolution display, fast charging (5v 2a?), no sign of qualcomm quick charge 3.0

USD$699? :s13:

if u have alot of cash to burn. go ahead.

US$699 is a fair price lah. It's not a super value for money price, but it's also not an outrageous price. If yuo're budget conscious, or you want more value for your money, there are other alternatives out there.

Pro:
Huge display in small body (5.6 inch screen in a body more for 5.2 phones like my xiaomi Mi5)

Fast charging: Never specify but since they are using Type C, it's highly likely charging at 3A. From my experience with Nexus 5X and Xiaomi Mi5, this is seriously fast, don't really need Qualcomm 3 or 4 quick charge.

Titanium and Ceramic constuction

Snapdragon 835

Stock Android

Possibility for more modules addons

Con:
Small battery for 5.6" screen

No 3.5mm headphones out

No expandable storage

No dual SIMs (I think?)

Unknown at this point:
How good the camera is, and how long the battery life is.

It's an interesting product that I will keep my eye on. Will definitely wait for reviews to be out. If the battery life and camera quality are roughly equal to my Xiaomi Mi5, I will get it. But if battery life sucks, then will skip it.

I won't say "DON'T BUY" or "MTLBBB" until some hard figures are out ;)

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.