Check out user reviews on [DISPLAY Quality] of XPERIA XZ Premium, VOTE & win Sony wireless speaker!

Which is your favourite and best written review on [DISPLAY Quality]?

• jerriez

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • carlover76

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Audiology93

Votes: 24 68.6%
  • cspotato

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Qubicfactor

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bosssaizo

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Check out user reviews on [DISPLAY Quality] of XPERIA XZ Premium, VOTE & win Sony wireless speaker!

Description:
In collaboration with Sony Mobile SG, 21 lucky forum members had a chance to take home the Xperia XZ Premium for 2 weeks on a user trial program.

About the Xperia XZ Premium
yzzUhvo.jpg

Sony’s flagship smartphone Xperia XZ Premium has been recognised around the world since it was announced as the most innovative Xperia smartphone to date. It comes with a camera able to create sensational videos from your everyday moments by recording in Super slow motion, a beautiful 4K HDR display, super-fast download speeds and a host of intelligent features which offer useful, tailored suggestions about how to use different features to make life that little bit easier.

The Screen
For the first time ever in a smartphone, Xperia XZ Premium features a 4K HDR (High Dynamic Range, 2160 x 3840) 5.5” display. A truly unique Sony experience, it uses Sony’s BRAVIA TV technology to give you an immersive 4K HDR viewing experience. The sharp, vivid quality of the display is enriched by Sony’s native technologies TRILUMINOS™ Display for mobile, X-Reality for mobile and Dynamic Contrast Enhancer.

How can you participate?

Check out what trial users have to say based on their experience with the 4K HDR Display and vote for the best testimonial you believe deserves to win!

jerriez
carlover76
Audiology93
cspotato
Qubicfactor

By voting, you stand a chance to win a Sony wireless and splash-proof speaker (SRS-XB10) worth S$79 too. Bonus:And if you participate in this thread to ask more questions to the trial users, or adding on your own experience and observations from the store/your personal unit, you stand a higher chance to win ;)
oovyaqq.jpg

Check out www.sonymobile.com/xperiaxzpremium for more product info or follow Sony Mobile at: www.facebook.com/SonyMobileSG

*This poll will close on 07-07-2017 at 03:13 PM

Updates: 7th July 2017

Congratulations to the following winners!

Top Prize Winner : Audiology93

1st Consolation Prize Winner: carlover76

2nd Consolation Prize Winner: Shadey

Consolation Prize Winners will walk away with a new Sony Mobile wireless headset. We will send out the prize confirmation email to the above mentioned winners, latest by 10 July.

Thanks and Congrats once again!

jerriez

Reaction score
SONY- Display

I have to confess upfront: This is a possible bias review of the latest Sony Mobile Xperia flagship phone, the Xperia XZ Premium. Since the launch of Xperia Z series, I have been a fan of the Xperia series for a few key reasons, the almost vanilla Android OS, and most importantly, how Sony Mobile worked on their strength in imaging processing and camera in their Xperia phone series.

My friends always comment that ‘How come the picture on your phone always look so rich and vibrant ah? Especially when you take scenery shot!’ That is probably due to the imaging capability that allows super-vivid and sharp display on the phone.

As you can see from the comparison below, there are more details in the blue sky background
shown on XZ Premium compared to XZ.

5lu3AosXrchJf9taZ6pRdlGbEiaQVQRoVKhVDLyUa3ZThBq0ZcVdWex7xICcC4KVvJp4Rdh4FVTp5bUWfK1kP90V6CWXgx8rQ1t-7i10hYalVMFRfjWgliHPGulo_zgXw4h74JDVGQgL-NXs8W2Okcgajbsh3kj2ymYx5XiwxXdgfUsn0n9EI8RHPTuXZmj33qf0hiNEnamJ8qkQ-eSVwU-6Y2UmHz3mHSQuhyJTW3xob5jC0jAsUt7hITETdfq3bGBfuKnQzFnohC2NHFlFN7DaUXECtv1QNZrjls04Gpv7YwBKtu5zhG85X8r4fk_jUI_wEcPWIt0ZrNWYK_KEdJclm73nie-9HLd5oEfGFtzVcYd2tqqBE0TVcWQH_wuUww0ysOzYiRt9fPJBbBFNOjhP5_4lYtTJ4CtYumbqfHeWPH8Kj-7i485yJ3QBncCfpfIEzgtw1UZFlZ9xug_S37N6-TLj_LSBXsLnK5L29O59gXsKmVaC99kerhotsJ3qeJzQvyVcJZOFTCyrsHj9bh9mTShV9Iq3-1lWPJY1Ky-BkM_0E_-F1557RJAcqp6clxxN9KVG=w2878-h1446
waH0iduoG1RJQ4v17SsaqidDrY7myzRGbPzwLZZJT9F-3zK6cDdqGN33AD9k5VGnER5sxoesyMZVF-i6mVPF0MTwiFwqGrWB3Fc-QkU7EbTvEZ2kK-VksLbHaGmMu1ifeH0f0ki1OCFu21SaPLH1ZGdEgd5FoCRGB5L6T8AYaKvbqo95UQHC-I3C2dEXYSi953ehInZD4rcETWNlB1rvGcM3thaQiJkLda-sjDpS_wPBgsOBmogQF_my4KFHnx4v1jfmsMsvztvNmsZkpfE5d6CYD1oCuSpT9wBCSUVnWNv3SluS23pdaGsrFE2xzUbw7DNKfDV2s4POHXywkj2jnNaaEAY7Ys38u0FoOCYWMu41LVZbW6oKOMn_642RvIM0bczDGSdgnUGOkrUQ-1CqG7cVh-TENW3y4cAiaOLZ9pk6pWnroSdKg4BqkkKNn9-onH-ek5JJAtw79RCe7fd2vNmH1eLBVGOimDwaU5VrHrPofcANrXIOBGw0XdTQA_lt98BOtgDyDFOQDkT7WUIToXXjhxmP7r6y4iV3q-yltdATOCcOWiqsSg4HRAjcEwH82Btd0n48=w2864-h1446

For XZ Premium, this technology has been enhanced to the next level where image is displayed using TRILUMINOS Display, thus images and video will be more life-like and richer. In short, it’s much better than “retina-display” ! :p

Another great enhancement in XZ Premium is the improvement in audio quality. There are many enhancements in terms of technology on how Sony Mobile improved the audio quality, but as a layman myself, it may not matter to me.

To me, as long as I am able to play a video and share with my friends when I am out, its good enough for me! Thus, I love the fact that the Xperia XZ Premium has two front speakers that comes with the S-Force Front Surround feature. This allows me to share with my friends the video with natural three-dimensional sound field, resulting in a virtual surround sound experience!

All in all, several enhancements are introduced in this new Xperia XZ Premium, some of which have been heavily promoted by the media and other forumers. You have to try it and experience it yourself to feel the difference.

Last edited:

carlover76

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Xperia XZ Premium - The True Masterpiece from Sony!

The size of the Xperia XZ Premium is definitely bigger than its predecessor, Xperia XZ in terms of length and width by the photos below. The physical weight of 191g on the Xperia XZ shows that it is much heavier than the 161g on the Xperia XZ but when you hold the two phones, you can feel that the Xperia XZ Premium is much lighter than the Xperia XZ.

Display

Using the same 4K photo and tested across the Z3 Dual and Xperia XZ, the brightness on the Xperia XZ Premium is the brightest and it has the best colour reproduction and accuracy as well.
You can see the details on the wall more precise and clear on the Xperia XZ Premium versus the Xperia Z3 Dual and Xperia XZ. As I do not own the Xperia Z5 Premium which is the predecessor of the Xperia XZ Premium with both 4K Display, the 4K HDR display definitely welcome more contrast, colours reproduction and brightness compared to the older screens.

Xperia X3 Dual vs Xperia XZ Premium

Xperia XZ vs Xperia XZ Premium

Overall, Xperia XZ Premium has given me a great experience during the Two (2) weeks trial with no lagging issue despite many apps installed, thanks to the 4GB Ram on board and every single task performed are seamlessly fast with Zero Delay. Switching between apps are also faster within the blink of an eye. Taking photo has never been so fun with the Super Slow Motion Video capability with up to 960fps, thanks to the dedicated memory chip built onto the camera module and there is no such moment that the camera app need to turn off due to the overheat issue from the prolong usage of photo or video taking. Sony has done a good job in the overall heat dissipation design on the rear of the Xperia XZ Premium versus the Xperia XZ and XZs. This phone is a MUST Buy for everyone who are looking a True Master Piece in a Smartphone.

Audiology93

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sony Xperia XZ Premium - The 1st 4K HDR smartphone (Display)

I’ve been given a chance to try out the Sony Xperia XZ Premium thanks to the collaboration between Sony SG and HardWareZone. The XZ Premium comes with the latest Snapdragon 835 SOC coupled with 4GB of RAM and 64GB of storage(UFS). It has a 5.5” Triluminos 4K HDR display which is unmatched in terms of quality and resolution. At the back, we get a 19 MP Motion Eye camera with Super slow motion which can record video up to 960 fps that is unheard of in the mobile industry. For selfie lovers, the front camera is 13 MP. Sony has added in IP65/68 certification for water and dust resistant just in case any accident happens to your beloved smartphone. Not only is it dual SIM, it supports microSD card using the hybrid SIM-slot so you can choose to use either 1 SIM + 1 microSD or 2 SIM but not 2 SIM + 1 microSD. There is a stereo speaker at the front at the top and the bottom bezel of the phone. The chamfered top and bottom with rounded sides makes holding it very comfortable and won’t feel like it will slip out of the hand.

Display

The 5.5” 4K HDR display can output vivid and vibrant colours. It is the one and only smartphone in the industry that can support 4K HDR. Not only does the 4K work in the native video app, it works in YouTube as well.

330fv6e.png

This is the 1st time I’ve seen a 4K content in a smartphone and to be honest, I do not find any significant difference between it and 1080p but if used in VR, the difference is going to be huge due to the pixel density. The difference is visible, but not a deal breaker when compared to 1080p or 1440p. It’s something that’s nice to have and more useful in the future. Sony has the TRILUMINOS technology for the 4K display and you can choose Professional mode for accurate sRGB colour gamut, Standard mode where the phone adjusts the colour if the display by itself or the Super-vivid mode which gives you super high contrast but lowers the colour accuracy of the display, Personally, I went for Standard mode since it looked the best to me. The screen of the phone isn’t curved but “2.5D” so finding a suitable tempered glass for it is easy compared to phones with curved screen. The “2.5D” is there to make the handling of the phone more comfortable.

wuklmw.png

Conclusion

In my opinion, I feel that Sony has done an excellent job with the XZ Premium because they focused in improving on the stuff which I find very important like the battery life and display on a smartphone. There is no point having the fastest smartphone if the battery inside the phone couldn’t even last me a day of use and I have to carry a power bank around and it becomes troublesome. The display looks awesome and I personally prefer it over my LG V20 and Samsung Galaxy S8. But there are some things that I find can be improved and that is the bezel size. While it helps in handling when in landscape, it looks huge when compared to other flagship smartphones and the delay in the camera when capturing pictures can be improved but it does not affect the performance of the camera in any way because it still takes nice looking pictures. Adding in Optical Image Stabilization might help in this aspect since it lowers the shutter speed and might make the processing faster.

cspotato

Master Member
Reaction score
My humble review on Sony Xperia XZ Premium (Display)

Introduction

I have been a user of Sony Xperia Z5 Premium since its launch in Year 2015. I was impressed by its performance, especially its 4K display, that I even sold off my chrome set and got the limited edition pink Z5 premium. This year, when I heard about the news of Sony Xperia XZ premium, it got me really excited due to its some new key features and benefits.

IMG_0602_zpsndlctigm.jpg
I have been a Z5 Premium user until XZ Premium comes along​

Display

When it comes to the Sony Xperia XZ Premium’s display, it’s hard to find something not to like about it. It has a 5.5 inch display with 4K resolution which is gorgeous. It’s bright, vibrant (thanks to Sony’s triluminos technology) and has an eye-melting pixel density of 807ppi, providing incredible detail unmatched by most other high-end smartphones. It’s the only phone you can find currently in the market with such resolution (3840 x 2160). To put that in perspective, the Infinity Display on the Galaxy S8 manages 570ppi while the LG G6 gives up 564ppi.

IMG_0603_zpszhwxptsu.jpg

XZ Premium display gives a higher resolution than S8

IMG-20170617-WA0006_zpsqhtp7wgy.jpg

XZ Premium (left) has a 5.5” 4K HDR display which has an edge over Z5 premium (right)
Images on XZ Premium is brighter and clearer than Z5 Premium

The screen panel uses LCD technology, delivering a crisp, clear image. The Triluminos Display technology enhances colours over standard LCD panels which will definitely attract a lot of attention.

IMG-20170617-WA0007_zpshtpbpm8z.jpg
XZ Premium supports a high resolution of 3840 x 2160 which delivers very crisp and clear image​

IMG-20170617-WA0008_zpsgjwuvfab.jpg
Details of pictures can be brought out much clearer with XZ Premium​

Overall, I am truly impressed with this phone after using it for trial. Thanks to Sony and HWZ for arranging this fantastic event for us to test out the phones before the official launch to the market. I am indeed impressed with this phone and have decided to grab the phone during its launch.

IMG-20170617-WA0004_zpsbba5zn3a.jpg
XZ Premium in 2 colours during launch
(Luminous Chrome and Deepsea Black)​

IMG_0605_zpsu0xjmjtc.jpg
My trial set (left) and my actual XZ Premium (Deepsea Black)​

Last edited:

Qubicfactor

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Moving on from the Xperia XZ

As someone who is a current Xperia XZ user, I wasn’t quite sure if the few key differences between the new Xperia XZ Premium and my current phone like the 4K HDR screen and motion eye camera are tangible, or whether it is just more of the same. I was expecting to see only minor improvements to both, and in theory, anything higher than the theoretical limit of 300 PPI shouldn’t be perceptible anyway. When I got my hands on a unit to test, however, I was pleasantly surprised that yes, I could actually feel the difference.

4K HDR Screen

Sony advertises their Xperia XZ Premium screen as being a 4K HDR, which ports over technology from their Bravia TV lineup. It defaults to Full HD under normal use, and activates the full 4K resolution upon detecting 4K content, which can be anything from videos, photos and even apps. I think this is a brilliant arrangement, as running at full 4K all the time will drain battery life, and obviously requires more processing power to drive the display, which may impede device speed. I decided to test the phone via Youtube’s 4K HDR channel, and was impressed that despite some claims that 300 PPI is the limit, I was able to actually perceive distinct differences in clarity between the Full HD and 4K modes. Trying out the 4K video on another Full HD device however, didn’t produce any visible improvements. I think Sony did well here, but perhaps a way to exploit the 4K HDR screen the way Samsung does (via VR) may be a way to fully utilise the screen.

4kyoutube.png

Conclusion

Had I not bought my XZ just a few months earlier I would have gotten this instead. But even with my XZ I am already contemplating changing to the XZ premium just for the brilliant screen and improved camera. Sony is definitely on to something here, and the Xperia XZ Premium is a fine example of what their engineering can do, and is a welcome change from the gimmicks the other phone manufacturers are starting to resort to in lieu of actual innovations.

hwzmarketing

HWZ Marketing
Staff member
Reaction score
Updates: 7th July 2017

Congratulations to the following winners!

Top Prize Winner : Audiology93

1st Consolation Prize Winner: carlover76

2nd Consolation Prize Winner: Shadey

Consolation Prize Winners will walk away with a new Sony Mobile wireless headset. We will send out the prize confirmation email to the above mentioned winners, latest by 10 July.

Thanks and Congrats once again!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.