LG G4

chiaRH

Reaction score
so a while ago in this thread last year i mentioned 1 reason of my reluctance to upgrade to MM on my G4 was that it has SD card read/write issues whereby if you try to view the files on a PC, some files appear corrupted and have file size 0KB and its the same whether the phone is connected via USB or via LG Bridge.

Since recently I had a huawei P10 Plus to try out (which is on nougat, making the android version even newer than MM), I wanted to see if I can replicate the issue

Turns out I actually could. And I am certain now I made the incorrect assumption of it being LG's build of MM being problematic. It might actually have been the gallery app I use (Quickpic) and a bug in its copy photo to new folder functionality whereby if you copy a large quantity of files to a folder on SD card, Quickpic may not succeed copying 100% of the data. Quickpic also sometimes had trouble refreshing its album when deleting pics on SD card, another issue I was able to replicate.

Looking at Quickpic now in the google play store, it hasnt been updated in over 4 months so I think best option for me is to now cease use of that app and find a new gallery app.

Im still not going over to MM on the G4 though cos I'm not convinced the battery life is much better.

stepfen

Reaction score
so a while ago in this thread last year i mentioned 1 reason of my reluctance to upgrade to MM on my G4 was that it has SD card read/write issues whereby if you try to view the files on a PC, some files appear corrupted and have file size 0KB and its the same whether the phone is connected via USB or via LG Bridge.

Since recently I had a huawei P10 Plus to try out (which is on nougat, making the android version even newer than MM), I wanted to see if I can replicate the issue

Turns out I actually could. And I am certain now I made the incorrect assumption of it being LG's build of MM being problematic. It might actually have been the gallery app I use (Quickpic) and a bug in its copy photo to new folder functionality whereby if you copy a large quantity of files to a folder on SD card, Quickpic may not succeed copying 100% of the data. Quickpic also sometimes had trouble refreshing its album when deleting pics on SD card, another issue I was able to replicate.

Looking at Quickpic now in the google play store, it hasnt been updated in over 4 months so I think best option for me is to now cease use of that app and find a new gallery app.

Im still not going over to MM on the G4 though cos I'm not convinced the battery life is much better.

Nice writeup! Thanks! A lot of people found Quickpic to be a poor app after it was bought over by some Chinese firm which* is known for providing apps which infringe on privacy. I also uninstalled it as soon as I heard the news. I'm also still on the v10f because i heard the logd process in MM that drains the battery fast.

chiaRH

Reaction score
Nice writeup! Thanks! A lot of people found Quickpic to be a poor app after it was bought over by some Chinese firm which* is known for providing apps which infringe on privacy. I also uninstalled it as soon as I heard the news. I'm also still on the v10f because i heard the logd process in MM that drains the battery fast.

yea the company that bought it was cheetah mobile 2 years ago. the controversy was so great that entire sites ran articles about the acquisition

I had still continued to use it though, since it retained its functionality (unlike ES File Explorer, now that one was an infamous disaster) but I guess quickpic never quite made the proper transition over to android versions newer than lollipop.

Blacktoxic

Reaction score
Hi guys, my LG G4 succumbed to the bootloop issue last week, almost 1.5 years after I bought it.

For the longest time I thought I was lucky or my unit was not affected, but my luck finally ran out.

Took it to the service center today and they agreed to do the warranty replacement of the MOBO for a new redesigned one at no cost. This is despite me not having my original receipt and the unit being more than a year old.

For you info, in case anybody runs into the same problem.

Jim Moriarty

Reaction score
I just got image retention on my G4. Tried all kind of screen burn tool and it still came back after just 1-2 minutes of using an app. I turned Twilight on Always mode and seems like it's gone for now. I'll see how it goes.

(The color I use is 1500K, with 30% opacity and 10% screen dim. It's pretty unnoticeable. Posting this here so if anyone meets the same problem can try it out. From my reading, it seems that pure white #fffff + heat prone to cause this problem, so hopefully this will kick it away for good.)

Last edited:

DesertStrike

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
guys, those having screen problem can go taobao order the whole LCD with frame, quite easy to self change the whole thing

chiaRH

Reaction score
sorry for being noob here. lg g4 can use anker cable 3.0? or is there such a thing quickcharge 3.0 cable?

Any cable will work on a charger that uses a Quickcharge standard (2.0, 3.0 etc) cos Quickcharge does not require any special cable features.

other type of fast charging like Oppo VOOC and oneplus dash charge that one you really will need the special cable sold only by them, you can actually see those cable the USB plug has extra pins compared to normal USB

mds8080

Reaction score
Any cable will work on a charger that uses a Quickcharge standard (2.0, 3.0 etc) cos Quickcharge does not require any special cable features.

other type of fast charging like Oppo VOOC and oneplus dash charge that one you really will need the special cable sold only by them, you can actually see those cable the USB plug has extra pins compared to normal USB

I'd like to share my experience that not all usb cables are the same. I've tried some cheaper ones and my G4 does not show "Fast charging" even with my Quickcharge 3.0 charger. I changed to a more expensive cable and it works fine. Learnt my lesson and will spend a bit more for those "branded" cables that specify able to support high speed charging.

So fast charging depends on charger and cable.

CrispyPeddler

Reaction score
ur g4 have quickcharge 3.0? :eek:. how come mine dont have. and how to see if its quickcharge 3.0? is it shown in the phone?

yea. have the same issues also. i try use my friend samsung charging cable...cant charge at all :s22::s22:..so i thought some cable are specific for certain phone :s22:

OutBreak

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ur g4 have quickcharge 3.0? :eek:. how come mine dont have. and how to see if its quickcharge 3.0? is it shown in the phone?

yea. have the same issues also. i try use my friend samsung charging cable...cant charge at all :s22::s22:..so i thought some cable are specific for certain phone :s22:

G4 only supports QC 2.0

QC 3.0 charger is backward compatible for QC 2.0 devices.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.