what is your longest and shortest holding period for stocks?

Mancunian2

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have 2 stocks holding for 15 years ler - one is Singtel

my shortest turnaround was 5 minutes - bought on breakout and sold 3 bids higher - KS Energy iirc

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Longest, still holding JNJ+MAIN, 5 years liao. Started investing in 2012.
Shortest is 1 day, can't remember exactly how long. Accidentally buy wrong counter and sold for negligible profit. Some US Food stock, forgot the name.

Dividends Warrior

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Longest holding period: Suntec REIT over 8 years (bought at $1.26)

Shortest holding period: DBS over 2-3 months (during O&G crisis last year)

Kinetic88

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wahlau, this thread ish a very painful reminder. :(

moi still holding many delisted, suspended, seldom traded stocks, including 2 under the former CLOB international stocks. :(

tmkedmw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wahlau, this thread ish a very painful reminder. :(

moi still holding many delisted, suspended, seldom traded stocks, including 2 under the former CLOB international stocks. :(

For old time sake, GPGT your physical share certificate ;)

Paul Lee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think in the context of stock trading, shortest is not meaningful especially if you had ever 'contra' before. ;)

My longest holding is Singel. Holding since its IPO in 1993. :s12:

[M]aiev

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think in the context of stock trading, shortest is not meaningful especially if you had ever 'contra' before. ;)

u now lao uncle sibo

:s13:

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

Wahseh, that's 24 years! :eek:
Dividends yield super high?

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For old time sake, GPGT your physical share certificate ;)

Old time, scanner and camera phone non-existence. Even if got pic to show, stocks could have been sold or counters could have disappeared from market. With cdp, no more share certicates to show.

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Not appropriately rewarded by holding Singtel since 1993 :s13:

Would have been much better off holding any of the 3 banks for that long.

Mancunian2

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not appropriately rewarded by holding Singtel since 1993 :s13:

Would have been much better off holding any of the 3 banks for that long.
yes, sinktel didn't give very good returns since listing in 1993

dividends were miserable in the first 10-15 years along with little capital appreciation

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yes, sinktel didn't give very good returns since listing in 1993

dividends were miserable in the first 10-15 years along with little capital appreciation

Same can be said about SIA. IPO price was close to market price of DBS.

Mancunian2

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Same can be said about SIA. IPO price was close to market price of DBS.
SIA was good in the initial years but gave 0 to -ve returns in the last 15 years

iirc, SIA IPO at $5 and traded higher than $30 at some stage in the first few years. And in 2001 post bubble, SIA was $10 - same as now :s13:

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
SIA was good in the initial years but gave 0 to -ve returns in the last 15 years

iirc, SIA IPO at $5 and traded higher than $30 at some stage in the first few years. And in 2001 post bubble, SIA was $10 - same as now :s13:

At least the price better than Singtel. SIA had 1:1 bonus which Pillay was not in favour but gave in.

Kinetic88

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
talking about BEST return in the Sg stock market, nothing can beat Singapore Bus.

faithful share holder from the IPO until today, gained more than 1,000% return both in dividends and share price beside getting FOC ComfortDelgro shares.

moi army friend bought 1,000 share in order to qualify for the concession past during the IPO time, paying S$1K and now he ish sitting on closed to S$14K profit (dividends plus right/bonus shares).

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
talking about BEST return in the Sg stock market, nothing can beat Singapore Bus.

faithful share holder from the IPO until today, gained more than 1,000% return both in dividends and share price beside getting FOC ComfortDelgro shares.

moi army friend bought 1,000 share in order to qualify for the concession past during the IPO time, paying S$1K and now he ish sitting on closed to S$14K profit (dividends plus right/bonus shares).

Osim went to a low of 5c and I was asked to buy but didn't. It shot up to 2.90 at the highest and exited the market in 2016 at 1.39..

Ironically, my friend was charged for insider trading :s22:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.