[AMA] I am a veterinarian. Ask me anything :D

iCandy

Reaction score
Given the age of your dog (8 year old) and the vague symptoms, I do agree with your vet that a further work up is needed. When you visit your vet, did he/she run any tests?

Besides blockage I am thinking of megaesophagus since you mention regurgitation

Hi lycans, thanks for replying. We did a blood test which returned with optimistic results. I mentioned the regurgitation to the vet but at that point it was more on vomiting. Since the vomiting stopped, is that a good sign? Of course now the regurgitation is a concern.

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi lycans, thanks for replying. We did a blood test which returned with optimistic results. I mentioned the regurgitation to the vet but at that point it was more on vomiting. Since the vomiting stopped, is that a good sign? Of course now the regurgitation is a concern.

The thing is, how do you differentiate between true vomiting vs regurgitation?? Both terms have specific medical meanings and have different pathology. Assuming you are right, that the vomit has stopped but now ur dog has regurgitation. Then I think some imaging works would be beneficial to see whats going on

Last edited:

iCandy

Reaction score
The thing is, how do you differentiate between true vomiting vs regurgitation?? Both terms have specific medical meanings and have different pathology. Assuming you are right, that the vomit has stopped but now ur dog has regurgitation. Then I think some imaging works would be beneficial to see whats going on

I define the current situation of regurgitation as his repulsion of undigested food within 30 mins of his meal, coming out in a tube-like shape.. vomiting would be like a puddle of food and/or bile. At least that's what i think it is :/

Thanks, I'll discuss this with the vet!

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I define the current situation of regurgitation as his repulsion of undigested food within 30 mins of his meal, coming out in a tube-like shape.. vomiting would be like a puddle of food and/or bile. At least that's what i think it is :/

Thanks, I'll discuss this with the vet!

No. Regurgitation is a passive process, no warning and it just comes up after eating.

Vomiting is an active process, the dog looks sick, there may be drooling and activation of the abdomen as it brings the food up

iCandy

Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up! He's regurgitating for sure as the stuff comes up immediately with no warning. :s34:

No. Regurgitation is a passive process, no warning and it just comes up after eating.

Vomiting is an active process, the dog looks sick, there may be drooling and activation of the abdomen as it brings the food up

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
which brand dry and wet food u give to ur dog? just want to know.

Thanks for clearing that up! He's regurgitating for sure as the stuff comes up immediately with no warning. :s34:

Acb

Reaction score
Hi does anyone knew what is this thing (shown in the picture) grow on my puppy? Realize some of this is growing on his body? It did not come off even though we have give him a bath yesterday. Thanks in advance

2myuvlf.jpg

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi does anyone knew what is this thing (shown in the picture) grow on my puppy? Realize some of this is growing on his body? It did not come off even though we have give him a bath yesterday. Thanks in advance

2myuvlf.jpg

puppy pyoderma maybe?

Acb

Reaction score
puppy pyoderma maybe?

Thanks for the response. Did abit Google search on "puppy pyoderma"...Seems like not puppy pyoderma as it tends to grow on bare skin like their tummy...However we tends to find these stuffs where fur are grown

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Did abit Google search on "puppy pyoderma"...Seems like not puppy pyoderma as it tends to grow on bare skin like their tummy...However we tends to find these stuffs where fur are grown

It can happen anywhere on the skin. Furunculosis? Sebaceous cyst? Fungal infection? Many things can be the reason why these lesions appear.

KYLee

Reaction score
hi doc, do vets usually treat pets that are exotic and illegal in singapore? recently brought my dog to a vet and a fella brought in an exotic pet but was rejected by the staff.

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi doc, do vets usually treat pets that are exotic and illegal in singapore? recently brought my dog to a vet and a fella brought in an exotic pet but was rejected by the staff.

Well, in Australia an exotic pet would be a reptile or a snake. I dont deal alot with these types of animals and I refer them away.

You'd have to check with AVA if the 'exotic' pet is legal or illegal in SG

OahidY

Reaction score
hi doc, if a cat refuse to eat or drink and just want to slp everyday? What's the issue ar? No litters as well..

cokiee

Reaction score
Hey there, seeking some help please. I've got a two cats at home and one of them is over grooming herself quite badly, resulting in large swathes of bare patches. When petting her the patches don't seem to be rough and there's no flaking. Or scabbing, so I'm thinking it's a behavioral issue. The cats have been living together since very young and they usually just keep away from each other. Any suggestions as to how to prevent/change the behaviour?

Sent from Xiaomi MI MAX using GAGT

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey there, seeking some help please. I've got a two cats at home and one of them is over grooming herself quite badly, resulting in large swathes of bare patches. When petting her the patches don't seem to be rough and there's no flaking. Or scabbing, so I'm thinking it's a behavioral issue. The cats have been living together since very young and they usually just keep away from each other. Any suggestions as to how to prevent/change the behaviour?

Are they on flea control? Have you seen a vet yet?

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nope not on any flea control stuff. Re vet, I had a friend who's a vet nurse look at her and she says it doesn't seem so so I haven't, but I probably should, huh.

Behavioural issues are diagnosis of exclusion. Meaning we put certain conditions down to behavioural problem only after exhausting all tests and treatment and can find nothing wrong with the animal.

I'd say bring your cat to a vet and try ruling out fleas, diet, endocrinopathy, etc

MasterChief86

Reaction score
got two questions.

1. got a she-cat, one y.o, who just got diagnosed with asthma. local vet told me to fed her chicken soup all the time and mix Ketotifen tab in something and feed her daily. the problem is, both syrups and tablet derivatives aren't going to well with her, she thinks the tablet is bitter, which it is while she isn't accustomed to the weird, though sweet taste of the syrup, so what now? it's for life and that makes it harder. she's resisting really hard and i'm finding it really annoying and frustrating.

2. got a tomcat, who's like 3 and a half (must've been 5 months old when i took him in). he just got into some fight and got a hole in his skull. right above his right eye. i tried treating him with antibiotic and PVP-I and kept him on those for two days but he still ended up with a bad case of maggot infestation. so i cleaned the thing with hydrogen peroxide the moment i noticed the infestation and took him to the vet te next morning. he treated him with the same meds and now, i've replaced the cotton piece inside the wound the doc put there with a new one, soaked in PVP-I and now the piece is still there and it's been a day. will it get better if all i do is keep him on antibiotics and keep putting a new piece every day?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.