Lasik eye Surgery

light84

Reaction score
great piece of information.

realised that you posted some info earlier, and you mentioned that you are gonna make an appt to see Dr.
Jerry Tan. So did you see him in the end?

i went for the assessment. I spent half a day there going through at least 20 machines and I got to see Dr Jerry Tan at the end. The consultation wasn't rushed and I had plenty of the time to ask him questions.

The reason why he does one eye at a time is because a very small minority of patients may not heal in a predictive manner. As such, he does on the non-dominant eye to observe the healing response. If the non-dominant eye does not heal in a predictive manner, he can tweak the treatment to achieve better results on the dominant eye.

He also share his success rate and complication rate which actually exceeded my expectations.

so Epi-LASIK and LASEK do keep the epithelium flap right?

whereas the PRK and TransPRK remove the epithelium completely.

Both Epi-LASIK and LASEK separates the epithelium from the cornea throught epi-keratome and alcohol but I can't remember whether both removes the epithelium or the epithelium flap will be covered back. I do remember in journals, the results was that if the epithelium was removed, the recovery was faster by a day but patients will feel more uncomfortable.

PRK has many variants on how the epithelium is to be treated. For transpeithelial PRK, the epithelieum is ablated i.e. vaporized. So you can say that it removes it.

I thought the custom measurement of the cornea dimension is already available in the form of custom wavefront with LASIK surgery.

I think it should be available soon for TransPRK.

I believe custom wavefront refers to the shaping of the cornea using laser. Our corneas may not be entirely spherical and there may be bumps or humps depending on individual thus a custom wavefront can ablate the cornea to shape it into a perfect sphere.

The program for TransPRK assumes that epithelium is of a certain uniform thickness and shape based on the general population thus it does not ablate the epithelium exactly based on an individual.

Anyway, I'm not a surgeon so I can't comment on the accuracy on the above.

other than preference and protocol, I think the type of machines that is available to the doctor also plays an important part. cos if the clinic has only the older version of the amaris schwind 750, the doctor can't be marketing how good the 1050 is, likewise if their machine is unable to perform 2 procedure consecutively.

Yes. That is why SNEC does not offer the TransPRK because they do not have the Schwind Amaris machine. Their excimer machine is the WavelightEX500 which is used to ablate the cornea. As such, they may do LASEK i.e. use alcohol to separate the epithelium from the cornea and use the excimer laser to ablate the cornea.

but come to think of it, eye correction surgery has come a long way, does the difference in the laser pulse of 750 and 1050 per sec makes any huge difference. and in the operating theatre where it's sterile, how much risk is eye exposed to during the switching of the equipment.

Certainly, there are difference technically as the 1050 ablates the cornea faster and it has additional tracking of being able to predict your eyeball movement. However, we would have to look at published journals to see if there is any clinical difference in the treatment outcome of both machines.

the only difference i can see that with the more advance in the technology, there is just a lesser hands on by the doctor himself. everything is automated.

For TransPRK, the surgery itself is pretty automated.

For LASIK and ReLEX SMILE, the surgeon's skill is very important during the surgery itself. During the flap or lenticule creation, you can imagine the possibilities of things going wrong such as flap not properly created, flap dislodged, unable to pull out lenticule, loss of suction during surgery etc. No doubt, the risk is very low but when it happens to any individual, to that individual, that risk for him / her is 100%.

KYLee

Reaction score
Seems like it's more advisable to go for lasek /epi-lasik over lasik? Does lasek have side effects like dry eyes? As compared to lasik..

notorand

Reaction score
Seems like it's more advisable to go for lasek /epi-lasik over lasik? Does lasek have side effects like dry eyes? As compared to lasik..
I think finding a reliable doc that u feel u can trust is better than forum here. Tbh i kinda regret doing at EEC cause everything is so rush and explanation is brief

If i would do it all over again i would go private clinic once and snec once to get second opinion

Sent from Motorola MOTO G (4) using GAGT

KYLee

Reaction score
I'm leaning towards clear vision.. Review looks good and the transprk seems to be good too.

light84

Reaction score

Each has its own unique set of risks. You have to decide which set of risks you are more willing to accept in exchange to fix your myopia and astigmatism.

jacpie

Reaction score
Dr E-Shawn Goh from Eagle Eye Centre

Hi,

Has anyone done lasik surgery by Dr E-Shawn Goh from EEC before? If so, any reviews? I wanted to opt for Dr Julian Theng but his waiting list is too long... My appt with Dr Goh is following Monday, I tried to google his reviews but none! Now I'm freaking out...not sure should wait for Dr Theng or just go with Dr Goh. Thanks! :s11:

notorand

Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone done lasik surgery by Dr E-Shawn Goh from EEC before? If so, any reviews? I wanted to opt for Dr Julian Theng but his waiting list is too long... My appt with Dr Goh is following Monday, I tried to google his reviews but none! Now I'm freaking out...not sure should wait for Dr Theng or just go with Dr Goh. Thanks! :s11:
Some reviews are paid so not accurate anyways.
I just done mine at EEC by Julian Theng. Supposedly it was just assessment day only but suddenly they have slot on that day and I just went for it. He is also super busy so each consultation feel like a rush

Wishdom

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Went to LSC for assessment today.

Had 550 degrees right.
Left has 525 degrees, 25 astigmatism, 160 axis(?)(anybody cares to explain?)

Cornea thickness 532 right and 531 left. Will be left with around 300 thickness after surgery.

Dr Marc recommended lasik and smile. I am more inclined to smile.

Great experience with dr Marc, nice guy, ang mo look. Told me that only around 5 percent of people take up lasek and epi lasik. It has issue of scaring and is an avenue for people with thin corneas. Average thickness wise, lasik and smile is a better option.

Sent from Ilovennp using GAGT

mudxblood

Master Member
Reaction score
Went to LSC for assessment today.

Had 550 degrees right.
Left has 525 degrees, 25 astigmatism, 160 axis(?)(anybody cares to explain?)

Cornea thickness 532 right and 531 left. Will be left with around 300 thickness after surgery.

Dr Marc recommended lasik and smile. I am more inclined to smile.

Great experience with dr Marc, nice guy, ang mo look. Told me that only around 5 percent of people take up lasek and epi lasik. It has issue of scaring and is an avenue for people with thin corneas. Average thickness wise, lasik and smile is a better option.

I had an almost similar eyesight as you, left eye -4.75-1.25, -5.25-0.75. I was advised by Dr Rosman of SNEC to go for LASEK which I subsequently went for the surgery last Thursday. My cornea thickness is 520 for both eyes. According to him, anything less than 400 is considered very risky already. You need to take into account, what if, you need further enhancement? Any further enhancement requires further reduction of cornea thickness.

The reason why little people opt for LASEK is because of the longer healing time. But in the long run, it is much better than Lasik. You can read about my previous experience from Day 1-3.

Just a side note. I just read about LSC and they had we're involved in some law suit and I'm not sure if it's the same Dr. Marc.

Sent from OnePlus ONEPLUS A5000 using GAGT

Wishdom

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I had an almost similar eyesight as you, left eye -4.75-1.25, -5.25-0.75. I was advised by Dr Rosman of SNEC to go for LASEK which I subsequently went for the surgery last Thursday. My cornea thickness is 520 for both eyes. According to him, anything less than 400 is considered very risky already. You need to take into account, what if, you need further enhancement? Any further enhancement requires further reduction of cornea thickness.

The reason why little people opt for LASEK is because of the longer healing time. But in the long run, it is much better than Lasik. You can read about my previous experience from Day 1-3.

Just a side note. I just read about LSC and they had we're involved in some law suit and I'm not sure if it's the same Dr. Marc.

Sent from OnePlus ONEPLUS A5000 using GAGT
Thanks for your input. Lasek seemed like an obvious non contender from what I got from Dr Marc.

I will find another doctor for a second opinion.

Anybody knows which clinic provides cheap assessments? LSC that I have been too charged only 1 dollar .

Last edited:

KYLee

Reaction score
i thought most people opt for lasek/ Epi-lasik/ PRK? as it does not need to cut a flap in your cornea.. I've also read about some bad reviews about LSC.. suggest you go for clear vision talk that is happening this coming saturday (22nd july), which im going to! want to learn more about the various type of eye correction surgery..

Wishdom

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i thought most people opt for lasek/ Epi-lasik/ PRK? as it does not need to cut a flap in your cornea.. I've also read about some bad reviews about LSC.. suggest you go for clear vision talk that is happening this coming saturday (22nd july), which im going to! want to learn more about the various type of eye correction surgery..
Was told only 5 percent of the people go for lasek, epi, prk.

I don't think I need a talk, I just need another assessment and consultation. Hahahha

Rknight

Master Member
Reaction score
Some reviews are paid so not accurate anyways.
I just done mine at EEC by Julian Theng. Supposedly it was just assessment day only but suddenly they have slot on that day and I just went for it. He is also super busy so each consultation feel like a rush

Which lasik methods you used at EEC ? I see the website like got so many different methods, in the end the doctor will recommend the best method right ? Which one you chose ?

foo9883

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Did my lasik at SNEC around late May with Dr. Jod.
Including pre-assessment, post-consultation and medication total $3.5k.

Mostly satisfied with the results, though sometimes it seems I am unable to see words a distance away which I feel I should be able to see (maybe my expectations is unrealistic?).

All in all no regrets (for now...).

notorand

Reaction score
Which lasik methods you used at EEC ? I see the website like got so many different methods, in the end the doctor will recommend the best method right ? Which one you chose ?
There is only 3 type you choose. Lasik, Epilasik, Relax Smile. The sales consultant before doctor is the one actually doing the recommendation. She will push for Relax Smile. I did the lasik option.

As of Day 6 post-op, my left eye with loose cornea skin is still with very bad ghosting. My self diagnosis is that i got flap wrinkles which causes the rays of light to reflect multiple times before entering my eye.

Tmr is my 1 week review. So I hope things will be sorted out, will update here.

Rknight

Master Member
Reaction score
There is only 3 type you choose. Lasik, Epilasik, Relax Smile. The sales consultant before doctor is the one actually doing the recommendation. She will push for Relax Smile. I did the lasik option.

As of Day 6 post-op, my left eye with loose cornea skin is still with very bad ghosting. My self diagnosis is that i got flap wrinkles which causes the rays of light to reflect multiple times before entering my eye.

Tmr is my 1 week review. So I hope things will be sorted out, will update here.

Hope it will be solved this week, why did you not choose relax smile ?

Rknight

Master Member
Reaction score
main-qimg-2b0338d4e368d82d753a31962ed9ca15.webp

Seemed like the no cut no flap epi lasik is best ?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.