How many times of Driving Tests (TP) you took to pass? - Part 2

How many times of Driving Tests (TP) you took to pass?

• 1 time :o

Votes: 1,446 58.3%
  • 2 times :)

Votes: 577 23.3%
  • 3 times :(

Votes: 260 10.5%
  • 4 times :sad:

Votes: 90 3.6%
  • 5 times

Votes: 38 1.5%
  • 6 or more times

Votes: 68 2.7%

• Total voters

chelsf

Reaction score
Remember your safety checks,signaling.

Before u engage reverse gear remember check the rear windscreen or else might risk getting 4pts failure to confirm safety.

Don't panic do your normal way if tester rush you just carry on your
normal pace.

Do update us on the result.

Wishing you advance success for TP!!

Hi guys, tried my best but I failed horribly with 42 demerit points, no immediate failure. Do parallel parking strike kerb (don't wanna argue with the tester, cause the wheel merely touched it) then, I kept checking blind spots but he's not satisfied, say I didn't check. Outside the road was okay, just that he said I didn't look into th side mirror when changing lane, even though I checked my blind spot.. Sigh... $.$ fly

chelsf

Reaction score
Hi guys, tried my best but I failed horribly with 42 demerit points, no immediate failure. Do parallel parking strike kerb (don't wanna argue with the tester, cause the wheel merely touched it) then, I kept checking blind spots but he's not satisfied, say I didn't check. Outside the road was okay, just that he said I didn't look into th side mirror when changing lane, even though I checked my blind spot.. Sigh... $.$ fly

Adding on, directional change, vertical/parallel parking (all -4 points for failure to cfm safety)

abaotnt

Reaction score
Hi chelsf
Sad that you didn't make it this time, hope you good luck next time.
"fail to confirm safety": most likely you did not check through read wind-window before reversing. I got -4 point during my TP as well. I was told whenever you want to reverse (including half-way stopping during reversing), I must check at least once.

During lane change, have to check rear mirror then side mirror and last is blind spot. Blind spot check can't replace side mirror since you can see far without side mirror.

I believe you did your blind spot check. However, maybe not at right time? Have to check blind spot right before any steering action. When doing blind spot check, did you look through the rear passenger door window?

Practice a bit more and all the best for next test!

Last edited:

CJW311296

Reaction score

Hi Chelsf,

Sorry to hear that you didn't make it this round.

Pertaining to the failure to confirm safety 4pts I believe someone have cover which meant turn your head to check rear windscreen.

Moving to the blindspot perhaps the next round u can turn your head further to show the tester you are checking blindspot.

I can curious the tester claim you didn't look at side mirror I don't really believe it unless you have sixth sense don't need to see side mirror before lane change or else you will be risking your lives on the test car.

I think it would be good u get your instructor to focus on safety checks procedure be it circuit safety checks and also blindspot check with that certainly next TP you will perform well enough!!

JIAYOU!!

chelsf

Reaction score
Hi Chelsf,

Pertaining to the failure to confirm safety 4pts I believe someone have cover which meant turn your head to check rear windscreen.

Moving to the blindspot perhaps the next round u can turn your head further to show the tester you are checking blindspot.

I can curious the tester claim you didn't look at side mirror I don't really believe it unless you have sixth sense don't need to see side mirror before lane change or else you will be risking your lives on the test car.

I think it would be good u get your instructor to focus on safety checks procedure be it circuit safety checks and also blindspot check with that certainly next TP you will perform well enough!!

JIAYOU!!

Hi CJW, thanks a lot for your kind words. He said I looked into the right side mirror (doing right turn) but not the left side mirror when I have to change back to the left lane.

The tester marked me down for changing lane abruptly as well. Don't really understand what that means though..

chelsf

Reaction score
Hi chelsf
Sad that you didn't make it this time, hope you good luck next time.
"fail to confirm safety": most likely you did not check through read wind-window before reversing. I got -4 point during my TP as well. I was told whenever you want to reverse (including half-way stopping during reversing), I must check at least once.

During lane change, have to check rear mirror then side mirror and last is blind spot. Blind spot check can't replace side mirror since you can see far without side mirror.

I believe you did your blind spot check. However, maybe not at right time? Have to check blind spot right before any steering action. When doing blind spot check, did you look through the rear passenger door window?

Practice a bit more and all the best for next test!

Hi abotnt, thanks a lot for the advice as well. Well I did checked the back window when doing reverse, just that when I'm halfway reversing, I didn't stop and look again.. Guess that's my fault as well..

Well for now, I'm quite upset and my next retest is all the way at September. Gonna take a break off from driving and hopefully I won't be that rusty..

abaotnt

Reaction score
Hi abotnt, thanks a lot for the advice as well. Well I did checked the back window when doing reverse, just that when I'm halfway reversing, I didn't stop and look again.. Guess that's my fault as well..

Well for now, I'm quite upset and my next retest is all the way at September. Gonna take a break off from driving and hopefully I won't be that rusty..
Hi chelsf

Believe me, driving is just like swimming: once learnt, never forget. However, it'd better to book several revision practices before next TP.
For me, I created some cards about test tips so that I could read it during my free time. Thus I could remember all the necessary steps when I am in the car.

My understanding of "abrupt lane change" is turning your steering wheel too much during lane change.

coolbearts

Reaction score
Hi Chelsf,

Do go for some revision class before your next TP in September. At least can get some practice.

CJW311296

Reaction score
Hi CJW, thanks a lot for your kind words. He said I looked into the right side mirror (doing right turn) but not the left side mirror when I have to change back to the left lane.

The tester marked me down for changing lane abruptly as well. Don't really understand what that means though..

Hi chelsf,

No problem!!

Abrupt lane change is always pretty common in TP demerit for me my tester say my abrupt lane change is due to low speed while changing lane thus the vehicle was in a diagonal manner believe different tester have different interpretation of it.

Saw that you will be taking a break is good in the sense at least you could adjust your mindset and stay alert for the next one but I think it would be good perhaps take couple of lessons prior to TP.

Wishing you a advance success for next TP!!

sibehdepressed

Reaction score
Hey guys is it normal to go on the main road during your 2nd lesson (i'm taking class 3 manual)? I just started my 1st lesson yesterday and today the instructor drove me to the main road (ubi/kaki bukit stretch) and ask me to takeover. So being a beginner i obviously were not used to driving (gear changing, brake control etc) and messed up sometimes. Compared to my driving instructor yesterday who was super patient with me, this instructor said some demeaning words like "wow your driving so bad maybe you should switch to auto", "what you doing walao eh", "want me to say how many times" and he proceeds to look at his phone to whatsapp people. There is one incident when he looked at his phone and keep rushing me to go even when the traffic light is red. He even said "Don't know why they keep recruiting part time driving instructors to snatch our ricebowl." The session also finished 15 mins earlier. Feel like my money wasted and feel demoralised.

MrSinkie95

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Yes it's normal my first lesson already done that

Hey guys is it normal to go on the main road during your 2nd lesson (i'm taking class 3 manual)? I just started my 1st lesson yesterday and today the instructor drove me to the main road (ubi/kaki bukit stretch) and ask me to takeover. So being a beginner i obviously were not used to driving (gear changing, brake control etc) and messed up sometimes. Compared to my driving instructor yesterday who was super patient with me, this instructor said some demeaning words like "wow your driving so bad maybe you should switch to auto", "what you doing walao eh", "want me to say how many times" and he proceeds to look at his phone to whatsapp people. There is one incident when he looked at his phone and keep rushing me to go even when the traffic light is red. He even said "Don't know why they keep recruiting part time driving instructors to snatch our ricebowl." The session also finished 15 mins earlier. Feel like my money wasted and feel demoralised.

Lynnie_xoxo

Reaction score
Hi Chelsf,

JIAYOU!!

Hii,

Can i check with you guys regarding chelsf's situation, do yall mean that before we start reversing, we do safety check once (check lot empty and check all around is safe, check rear windscreen) and then we start reversing. Then do you guys mean that when we are already in the lot and still reversing we have to check rear windscreen again? (like while we are reversing)

My instructor never told me that though.. I usually only check before reversing and I only check rear windscreen again if i stop the car. If i can go in in one go, i dont usually check the rear again while the car is moving. Is this correct/wrong? O:

And one more qns, is there anywhere i can find out what are all the test routes?

Cos i seem to realise that my instructor doesnt really go by the book... like today he brought me to test route 10 (its straight along eunos link, then after the pie flyover lane change all the way right at jalan eunos, u turn and then lane change back all the way left correct!) but he chopped other test routes numbers instead of 10..

I am kinda worried if he has covered all the test routes with me cause i will be taking my tp soon and when i checked with him he said he brought me to all the test routes already but i feel like most of the times i am just going in circles around the same area... like it doesnt feel like i have covered 12 test routes.. any idea how i can check what the test routes are? :)

Thanks in advance! :)

DanialRohmat

Reaction score

It's normal. My first lesson already outside, doing U-turn. Oh, and also don't be demoralized by what your instructor says. They are saying those kind of things is for you to improve. The way they say it might be a little harsh on you, but will benefit you in the long run. Goodluck!

coolbearts

Reaction score
Hi Lynnie_xoxo

For the reserving, I cant advise much as my instructor didn't told me as well. :s11: I just do what I need to do. For my case, I will do all safety checks like checking rear windscreen and side blindspot before doing any reversing.

Well, for the test route, it all depends on the tester where he want you to drive. He will give you instruction in advance if he want you to turn to certain road / junction. Normally if the tester did not say anything, it will mean to go straight. However if you are still worried about the test route, whether did you cover all the 12 routes, you may search "Ubi Driving Test Route".

PS. Unable to post the link.

Hope this will help you. All the best for your TP. :)

Hii,

Can i check with you guys regarding chelsf's situation, do yall mean that before we start reversing, we do safety check once (check lot empty and check all around is safe, check rear windscreen) and then we start reversing. Then do you guys mean that when we are already in the lot and still reversing we have to check rear windscreen again? (like while we are reversing)

My instructor never told me that though.. I usually only check before reversing and I only check rear windscreen again if i stop the car. If i can go in in one go, i dont usually check the rear again while the car is moving. Is this correct/wrong? O:

And one more qns, is there anywhere i can find out what are all the test routes?

Cos i seem to realise that my instructor doesnt really go by the book... like today he brought me to test route 10 (its straight along eunos link, then after the pie flyover lane change all the way right at jalan eunos, u turn and then lane change back all the way left correct!) but he chopped other test routes numbers instead of 10..

I am kinda worried if he has covered all the test routes with me cause i will be taking my tp soon and when i checked with him he said he brought me to all the test routes already but i feel like most of the times i am just going in circles around the same area... like it doesnt feel like i have covered 12 test routes.. any idea how i can check what the test routes are? :)

CJW311296

Reaction score
Hii,

Hi Lynnie,

Sorry for the late reply.

First of all, I post the Ubi Test Route link for your reference but like someone mentioned tester will give instructions so don't don't memorize test routes as tester nowadays won't tell you I am doing test routes 9 or 10 etc already so don't worry too much.

http://www.passdriving.com.sg/images/Ubi Driving Test Routes.pdf

Secondly, Generally before u do any reverse movement or before engaging reverse gear just check rear-windscreen as according to TP checklist like don't have "over-check" demerit points for safety check just inappropriate checking of blindspot for demerit thus I think at times playing safe will leave a good impression for tester.

yeah don't check rear while you are reversing pretty dangerous as there might be car overtaking and not to forget u are looking at side mirror for kerb etc.

Last but not I am not too sure regarding the safety check for one go vertical or parallel but even 100% confirm can go in one go u half lot also stop again and check rear windscreen again if not tester can also say suddenly there is someone walking behind test car.

Test route 10 how was it high traffic or normal traffic?

But in the past my instructor will cover abt 2 official test route per lesson+ all circuit items and he will inform today we doing which 2 test route so better for me to take note or look out.

All the best!!

abaotnt

Reaction score
Hi Lynnie,

Secondly, Generally before u do any reverse movement or before engaging reverse gear just check rear-windscreen as according to TP checklist like don't have "over-check" demerit points for safety check just inappropriate checking of blindspot for demerit thus I think at times playing safe will leave a good impression for tester.

yeah don't check rear while you are reversing pretty dangerous as there might be car overtaking and not to forget u are looking at side mirror for kerb etc.

Last but not I am not too sure regarding the safety check for one go vertical or parallel but even 100% confirm can go in one go u half lot also stop again and check rear windscreen again if not tester can also say suddenly there is someone walking behind test car.

I agree with CJW about how many times you need check rear windscreen. Most of instructors and testers are OK with one checking. However, there are still some who require you do another check half-way. Thus, even you reverse into the lot perfectly, it is no harm to stop half-way to check again.

abaotnt

Reaction score
My 2nd instructor told me same thing(switch to auto) after 2nd practice just because I didn't accelerate before releasing clutch. At that time, what came into my mind is: Fxxx, why don't you tell me during the practice. If you don't emphasis, how do I know?

As a common pool student, I have over 15 instructors. I must say most of them are OK, and even they scold me, I knew it was my fault and lessen learnt. However, for some instructors, I just filtered whatever coming out of their mouths. I search and ask what the right procedure/reaction. As long as I feel I am progressing, that's it.

If you are in one-team, it could be different story. Maybe you can appeal and change the instructor if really can't bear with him.

CJW311296

Reaction score

Hi,

I understand as new learner we bound to have difficulties with the clutch is either engine stall or changing gear etc.

I also got "lecture" by my sch instructor till 4 or 5th lesson I still cannot avoid engine stall so I decided to look at youtube video to see is there any solution amazing yes I did see how to control clutch in a better way perhaps u want google and see is there any solution from youtube? My instructor ask why suddenly I progress better so I told him from youtube then he say at least I took the effort to "revise" my stuff.

Till my 10th lesson my instructor even ask whether I want change to auto I say no as my objective is to get a Class 3 licence so I carry on with training so don't be too depress by what instructor say if good just listen but if negative thoughts don't be too offended/depress.

Pertaining to red light is really very dangerous to other road users even as learner we are regulated under demerit points system ultimately if reach 13points (if I am not mistaken) you will be barred from taking theory and practical test so don't take the risk.

Did u really drove pass the red traffic light? Or u proceed to stop?

JIAYOU!!

GradeAbra

Reaction score
Hey regarding tp.. does anyone know why inside circuit already accumulate 20 points they still want u to go outside drive?

revilosb

Reaction score
Hi gradeabra,

Simply put it this way. U already paid for the tp. Might as well go thru the full course.

Hey regarding tp.. does anyone know why inside circuit already accumulate 20 points they still want u to go outside drive?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.