[Build Log #5] Project Threadripper

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Alright this will be my 5th build that i will be doing. All along i have been doing minor upgrades or doing some side grading. But the 5820k seems to be a bit dated and i would definitely want a rig that can start my photography and video logs.

These are my specs for the upcoming rig.

- AMD Threadripper 1900X (coming soon)
- Asus X399 Zenith Extreme (coming soon)
- Trident Z RGB 2400mhz 8x8gb kit (oc till 3200mhz)
- GTX1080ti Founders Edition
- Seasonic Prime 850w Gold
- InWin 909
- Samsung 512gb 950 Pro
- Samsung 500gb m.2 Evo (coming soon)
- Creative Soundblaster AE-5 (coming soon)
- More storage in the near future if needed

Why 1900x Threadripper?

I wanted a change. I didn't want Intel, cause there is nothing on Intel 6800k or even the latest 7800x has that interest me. Lastly, i support the underdogs.

The 1900x offers a better price performance with the entry level into AMD HEDT setup. No doubt it is about the same as 1800x. But 1900x gives me the opportunity to reuse all my RAMs, and 60 pcie lanes. Although that amount i could have gotten a 7820X, but i do not want a hot CPU with a lousy TIM being used in Intel. Furthermore i'm restricted to 28 pcie lanes. So goodbye Intel.

Apart from that, i have contacted Bitspower, Aquacomputer and EK for their waterblocks for TR4 socket. However all of them will only be available by this month end. Which is just nice after the 1900x launch.

Here are my water cooling parts:

- Unknown for water blocks options
- EK res with D5 pump (intend to reuse the pump but with an upgrade to a longer res tube)
- Aquacomputer kryoM.2 evo with passive heatsink
- Bitspower 12mm hard tubings
- Bitspower 12mm fittings
- Hardwarelab GTS 240mm radiator x2
- Hardwarelab GTR 360mm radiator
- Mayhem Pastel Orange Concentrate 250ml x4

(DAY #0) 11 August 2017

I have decided that since i can't do much, i intend to prep the Inwin 909 first. There were some modifications that needed to be done before i start ordering my water cooling stuffs.

First thing, the HDD bay must go. I don't intend to use anymore HDD on this rig. Most of my pictures and videos are handle by my trusty NAS. So if there is a need, i probably buy an SSD instead.

Apart from that, im intending to put a Reservoir. Hence the HDD bay have to go.

It is rivet. Hence i have to use a 3mm drill bit to drill out the rivets.

First i have to remove the outer exterior case. Which is being held to the body frame with 21 screws in total. After removing the outer frame, i can then proceed to work with the drilling of rivet.

There were a total of 6 rivets need to be removed. Damn its tiring. And finally after an hour, i managed to removed all the rivets.

Then assemble back the outer frame.

The holes on top are fine. Im gonna reuse those holes for reservoir mounting.

That's all for today..... next stop probably measurement for psu cables.

(Day #1) 16th August 2017

Measured the PSU cables and sent in the measurements to do the custom sleeved cables.

Added a few rivet to cover up the unused holes that were drilled out for the HDD bay.

Took out the front plastic In Win logo. Need to find someone whom can do the same thing but change it to orange instead.

Later at night, i transferred my existing m.2 to the new Aquacomputer Kryom.2 evo cooler.

Day#2 18th August 2017

Took the acrylic piece and head down to Bras Besah Complex. Hand over to them to duplicate it into orange. And was told to return one week later.

Day#3 23rd August 2017

Head down to SLS to get the Asus X399 ROG Zenith Extreme board. Damn happy!

Day#4 26th August 2017

Hooted some orange custom PSU cables from carousell. Nice chap and indeed very good workmanship!

Last edited:

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Update as of 17th Aug 2017

- Prep the In Win 909
- Removing rivets for the HDD cage
- Adding rivets to cover the holes that are not needed
- Swap m.2 cooler to Aqc kryoM.2 Evo

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Update as of 27th Aug 2017

- Send in to fabricate a new In win acrylic
- Hooted the Asus x399 ROG Zenith Extreme
- Hooted custom PSU Cables

t258jgn

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Roy gorgor

Pump control, fans control, flow meter display & temperature display use which brand & model?

Don't want to use motherboard onboard

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Roy gorgor

Pump control, fans control, flow meter display & temperature display use which brand & model?

Don't want to use motherboard onboard

There is a few ways to go about it. 1 way is use everything from Aquacomputer and connect it to their aquaero controller. This aquaero handles everything, pump control (only their own pump design), fan control, flow meter, temps. This is done by connecting their sensors.

If not then....

Pump usually use 1 pwm fan connector connect directly to mobo. If not, some d5 pump brands has their own knob to adjust the flow speed of the pump. D5 pump are all the same regardless of brands, they are OEM from Laing.

Fan control, if dont want use mobo then you got to use a fan controller.

Temperature display you can use aquacomputer vision touch, this will show you your devices temperature.

As for flow sensors, bitspower flow indicator not bad, but you will still need to connect to mobo fan headers to see the reading.

fallraen

Reaction score
damn beat me to it. i am looking forward to the 1900x launch as well. NEED more PCIE lanes for extra M.2 drives

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.