M1 *Official* (SGX: B2F) - Part 2

havetheveryfun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
But then again there is the "what if", what if I can't find a nice stock to invest or what if I missed the price.

I am a "passive" investor. Usually I won't sell the stock as long as the stock didn't change the fundamental.

are u sure the fundamentals have not changed ? M1 is shifting away from normal telco services and getting into other things.

The only upside currently I can see is that the major shareholders did not want to sell to any of the bidders as they claimed it was too "lowball". But that time the price was around $2.1x, so the major shareholders probably think the value of M1 is still currently around this price or able to go back to this price.

luxcan

Reaction score
are u sure the fundamentals have not changed ? M1 is shifting away from normal telco services and getting into other things.

The only upside currently I can see is that the major shareholders did not want to sell to any of the bidders as they claimed it was too "lowball". But that time the price was around $2.1x, so the major shareholders probably think the value of M1 is still currently around this price or able to go back to this price.

Hmm does you guys know that I started investing in m1 when TPG is going to be the 4th Telco which means I am already prepare for the "so-called changed fundamentals"? Is M1 going to be affected in short-term, yes but not in long run.

But of course, everyone has their own opinion which I have no intention to "win" anyone over.

Last edited:

Noobtrader18

Reaction score
Hmm does you guys know that I started investing in m1 when TPG is going to be the 4th Telco which means I am already prepare for the "so-called changed fundamentals"? Is M1 going to be affected in short-term, yes but not in long run.

But of course, everyone has their own opinion which I have no intention to "win" anyone over.

short term dont seem good but long term is a big question mark. good luck!

lbs

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Just for learning purposes, why r u so certain?

luxcan

Reaction score
I scare I might sound like uncle, but below are just purely my opinion:
1) I have been M1 subscriber for years and I doesn't feel that the network is inferior to the other telcos.
2) M1 is the only telco that currently doesn't have Pay TV, which is a plus point as I felt this is another industry waiting to be disrupted (tv.youtube.com is the latest tech that offer live channels - currently only to several usa states but definitely is a good start >> if you all want to try, u need to hide other vpn and manually set your gps to Chicago).
3) Starhub intention to discontinued cable in 2020, this definitely will give M1 a boost and force existing cable tv users to think if they really need pay tv at home.
4) I am actually one of the few that are not looking forward to Keppel-SPH selling away their stakes as Keppel/SPH has assets where M1 can conduct and tune their IoT solutions and use it for their future IoT pinch.
5) I suspect that TPG future mobile plans won't be as disruptive compare to Starhub initial entry as our 3 telco are already gearing towards sim-card + data top up plan.
6) I also believe that TPG will take times to achieve full network connectivity especially at train. I guess noone here willing to jump unless they are sure that the reception will be good.
7) Based on different countries trend, most of the telco share price will raise back to its normal level. Especially after the telco decided to play "nice" between themselves.
8) Lastly, I believe that M1 will be the 2nd biggest telco in future. Sound stupid.. I know.

Noobtrader18

Reaction score
1) I have been M1 subscriber for years and I doesn't feel that the network is inferior to the other telcos.

actually all 3 the same got down time for all of them. all can depend on to order mcdelivery when one is hungry.

2) M1 is the only telco that currently doesn't have Pay TV, which is a plus point as I felt this is another industry waiting to be disrupted (tv.youtube.com is the latest tech that offer live channels - currently only to several usa states but definitely is a good start >> if you all want to try, u need to hide other vpn and manually set your gps to Chicago).

most ppl not so tech. plug and play. the recent tv boxes however box the cable tv folks like rocky kena punch, very jialat. starhub and singtel lose customer like mad yet the box selling in sg not against the law. as long as they dont sell with the streaming app. but most go download it and buy the box for that purpose only leh. go all computer show u see all sell this box. but this is more downfall for starhub and singtel cable side isnt it

3) Starhub intention to discontinued cable in 2020, this definitely will give M1 a boost and force existing cable tv users to think if they really need pay tv at home.

i think many dont watch tv dont read newspaper these days liao, but ppl dont care how they go online as long cheap and no lag spike. once a while down okay then give some discount on next bill then happy liao.

4) I am actually one of the few that are not looking forward to Keppel-SPH selling away their stakes as Keppel/SPH has assets where M1 can conduct and tune their IoT solutions and use it for their future IoT pinch.

they sell or not wont affect they can use the tech no not. end of the day the tech has to make sense. monitor dustbin really a bit wasted if u ask me. better use to collect erp money. point to singtel here.

5) I suspect that TPG future mobile plans won't be as disruptive compare to Starhub initial entry as our 3 telco are already gearing towards sim-card + data top up plan.

new guy come in sure make some wave, new officer report must have 3 torch of fire ( chinese saying) problem is can last that long or not, they not doing great in their home ground also. but these days its easier to make money from asking for funding then actually making the money from market by old school service.

6) I also believe that TPG will take times to achieve full network connectivity especially at train. I guess noone here willing to jump unless they are sure that the reception will be good.

unless they hoot the price really low to compensate for the lesser coverage and use it as a way to eat into the current market share... then must see whos customer got more low end tier liao.

7) Based on different countries trend, most of the telco share price will raise back to its normal level. Especially after the telco decided to play "nice" between themselves.

based on history you r right, i just hope they follow that way, its also possible that telco business getting hurt one way another thats why to produce growth they are pushing into other sector as well. now all get 1/3 if all play nice again will get only 1/4 being the smallest i think maybe lower.

8) Lastly, I believe that M1 will be the 2nd biggest telco in future. Sound stupid.. I know.[/QUOTE]

to dream no wrong. problem is how long. for the near future how.

i buy some before the iot hoping it will up, the sample they show gave me a shock. the photo is on my avatar and honestly heng i didnt buy a lot. i just hope drop to fair value then slowly up again.

Last edited:

luxcan

Reaction score
Haha I also think the IoT bin is a joke, but the smart meter and inventory is promising. Other than deploying it at Keppel Electric, they can also push to CitySpring for gas metering.

SP Group is moving to open up electric industry, naturally it's a matter of time SP Group will move to adopt smart meter in resident estate but then again M1 might not necessary get it.

Asphodeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Haha I also think the IoT bin is a joke, but the smart meter and inventory is promising. Other than deploying it at Keppel Electric, they can also push to CitySpring for gas metering.

SP Group is moving to open up electric industry, naturally it's a matter of time SP Group will move to adopt smart meter in resident estate but then again M1 might not necessary get it.

Sidenote: IoT is quite "黑暗" in SG...there are free & open spectrum standards, but Singapore being Singapore, we are more or less "forced" to use paid spectrum standards for IoT...

Anyway, I do see potential in IoT la. But whether the telcos will make a killing out of it (due to IMDA regulations, or simply market monopoly) remains to be seen.

And yes, your analysis of overseas telco services is spot on. Seems like those that are doing well are those which provide unbundled services, particularly smaller MVNOs.

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you are savvy enough, with or without the box, you can stream on tv. You just need a mini desktop with built in graphical card and hdmi cable.
The most important determining factor is the streaming speed.

Noobtrader18

Reaction score

The IoT on paper is promising. but in real life is not clear at this stage. they say it help to save cost but the amount not a lot also i think. i off my main socket switch at the tv console to reduce standby mode usage anyway, I doubt it will really cut down any usage.

“With the full liberalisation of the electricity market expected in 2018, the launch of M1’s NB-IoT network is a timely development for us and our customers, who will get to enjoy easy access to useful real-time consumption data at a lower cost," said Keppel Electric general manager Janice Bong.

real time usage monitoring for us home owner is not very useful. but maybe in industrial got more usage. i dont really see how it will let us save usage. maybe put a real time price meter like taxi at home i will use less aircon.

they also show plans for children / old folks and dementia patients monitoring. problem is their network dont support voice. singtel one does... if i launch such a product i rather work with a platform that give me the option to use a voice feature rather then taking it out early in the game.

"A distinguishing feature of Singtel’s cellular IoT over Cat-M1 network is that it enables businesses to make Voice over LTE (VoLTE) calls in future using small portable devices with long battery life, such as wearables and trackers with voice capability," the telco said.
Source: CNA/kk

if they were to use the tech for payment at hawker or shops then different story. see china go wet market buy fish also use can use HP pay. last time it wont work out as we are not used to that idea, YET. now i think the time is ripe liao. flash nets didnt make it at bedok new hawker. can someone go tell the lady to look into payment and such. look into dustbin abit wasted leh.

this morning up a bit liao yeah!

Noobtrader18

Reaction score
If you are savvy enough, with or without the box, you can stream on tv. You just need a mini desktop with built in graphical card and hdmi cable.
The most important determining factor is the streaming speed.

most of us not tech savvy. but its not that hard too, go streaming site and full screen then project via hdmi can liao like what u say. not hard. i am sure many families got old laptop or pc that is too slow for normal work but can still use to watch tv online. this merely took out a smaller group of people. usually this are the younger folks wont dont already have cable. or they have cable at home but family still pay but the younger folk watch other program in room.

the big bite came when the tv box came. it work same way as the cable tv box. u dont have to go stream site and avoid pressing wrong button, this stream sites got so many fake download button that points to ads instead, now the tv box got remote somemore. feels like full time cable with no payment le.

speed wise most stream site now reduce load by tearing down the reso. but many streaming players now can detect screen size and speed which can in return used to determine the best reso to use based on speed and screen size. so that also not much issue.

the other problem is ppl pay for cable so that parents can use. but being elderly they find the official cable bot remote hard to use and its so laggy, the tv box however is better.

i dont own a box at home cause i rarely watch tv these days. at pc show i was about to buy then i ask myself who gonna watch sia. so in the end i never buy and i never apply cable tv also. i see the same thing among my friends. not sure about other people.

luxcan

Reaction score
http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/com...p-poised-to-transform-into-power-sectors-uber

This article nicely sum up the direction that SP Group is going to take under Wong Kim Yin leadership. I have chances to see how Wong make his decisions on spot, I can say that he impressed me a lot.

There is a lot of puzzles needed to be solve for SP Group ambition:
1) A common ledger - blockchain
2) Energy Storage - to store and distribute energy
3) Business Model
4) After resolving above 3 points, then the natural thing will comes with real-time analytics which involves smart meter so that SP Group can predicted when they need to draw "extra" energy.

Once they are done, the next industry to "uber" should be LNG. With Keppel having stakes in M1, it is much easier for M1 to carry out IoT case studies in Keppel assets ranging from Electric, LNG, Storage Container.

Last edited:

Noobtrader18

Reaction score
This article nicely sum up the direction that SP Group is going to take under Wong Kim Yin leadership. I have chances to see how Wong make his decisions on spot, I can say that he impressed me a lot.

There is a lot of puzzles needed to be solve for SP Group ambition:
1) A common ledger - blockchain
2) Energy Storage - to store and distribute energy
3) Business Model
4) After resolving above 3 points, then the natural thing will comes with real-time analytics which involves smart meter so that SP Group can predicted when they need to draw "extra" energy.

Once they are done, the next industry to "uber" should be LNG. With Keppel having stakes in M1, it is much easier for M1 to carry out IoT case studies in Keppel assets ranging from Electric, LNG, Storage Container.

need to use blockchain? also blockchain i read got delays and limited bandwidth. i rather focus on how to store and use renewable energy.

Reaction score
Just discovered M1 thread have a lot of investment teachers/lecturers. I guess these mentors must be either retired or having multi-million portfolio?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.