Nginx vs Lighttpd for serving static web pages

u0206397

Reaction score
Which one is easier to install, setup and is more secure by default?

I just want to dump my web pages in their wwwroot or htdocs directory with the least configuration.

No need PHP or CGI.

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Which one is easier to install, setup and is more secure by default?

I just want to dump my web pages in their wwwroot or htdocs directory with the least configuration.

No need PHP or CGI.

I would say, all most web servers I come across in Linux. What you asked for is the basic functionality of them all.

Just install from your package manager, and dump them into /var/www/html/

There is likely nothing you will need to configure to achieve that alone.

u0206397

Reaction score
Thank you. I thought I need to create the configuration file, configure virtual hosts and URL rewriting etc. even when I don't use them.

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I thought I need to create the configuration file, configure virtual hosts and URL rewriting etc. even when I don't use them.

If you are installing from the package managers, the packages that are meant for the distro, would have a default configuration setup just to at least serve static pages, and probably minimally CGI.

Even if you will to compile from the sources, the configurator to produce the makefile should give a working default system most of the time.

The basics of a web server do not need to involve virtual hosting, any URL rewriting or more to serve static files.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.